Barbie alternative - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 12-28-2001, 01:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 3 year old daughter just discovered my old Barbie dolls and really enjoys them. I would prefer her to play with a Barbie with more realistic proportions. I've looked on the internet but can't find anything yet. It seems Mattel used to make one, but discontinued the toy due to lack of sales. Does anyone have any ideas?
#2 of 7 Old 12-28-2001, 03:53 AM

I held out for as long as I could... My 5 year old was about to do a serious Barbie rebellion if I didn't come up with something quick! I let her have the Mary Kate doll (as in the Olson Twins) for Christmas. She is pretty darn cute, her feet are flat (cute chunky shoes, hard to lose) and her body is barely curved (clothes are hip & conservative)...

~diana google me: hahamommy. Unschooling Supermama to Hayden :Super Cool Girlfriend to Scotty . Former wife to Mitch & former mama to Hannahbear
#3 of 7 Old 01-19-2002, 05:25 AM

How about a nice handmade Waldorf doll? You know, natural fibers, warm to the touch, cuddly, soft, child-like. . . . I’m sorry, but I find Barbie dolls so objectionable that I have trouble understanding why enlightened mothers (such as those who read Mothering) give them to their 3 and 4 yo dds. I know many do. Could someone please help me figure this out?
#4 of 7 Old 01-19-2002, 01:58 PM

I think there's something called "I" girls. A friend bought one for her dd instead of a barbie. About the same size as a Barbie but slightly less misproportioned, has a bellybutton and lots of flexible joints.
#5 of 7 Old 01-19-2002, 04:17 PM

There was just a discussion on this not to long ago in the Parenting forum I'll see if I can bump it up for you.

peggy
#6 of 7 Old 01-21-2002, 02:29 AM

i hate barbies!!! dd loves them. we have compromised, she only gets them from other relatives as gifts. even still she has way too many.

another cool doll is groovy girls. although a little too hip and fashionable for my taste they are pretty neat cloth dolld about the same size as barbie but shaped like a kid. they are also cheaper than barbie, have alot of cool outfits, you can get groovy furniture, pets, groovy boys and they are multicultural. i am definately encouraging these as opposed to the BITCH barbie!

mother of invention, currently raising hell with four great kids, dd, 15, ds, 15, ds, 11 and ds, 8. also gestating a new wee one! due 9/29 whistling.gif

#7 of 7 Old 01-22-2002, 08:16 AM

my daughters love the Madeline dolls. Plus, they are little girls instead of adult women, so, I like that better. OK, well, my six year old loves Madeline, my 3 year old daughter prefers trains
We have our share of Barbie stuff but Madeline is a good alternative.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page