Mothering Forum banner

Trampolines

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  ramlita 
#1 ·
We are buying a house that comes with a trampoline. My kids are thrilled. My old DD has sensory issues and it should be a great thing for her.

BUT -- how do we keep this as safe as possible? What should the rules be? Is there anything we should do/check on the trampoline since it isn't new?

thanks!

#2 ·
It should be great for your daughter with sensory issues - my son with Asperger's uses the neighbor's trampoline and the motion really helps him calm down if he's feeling stressed.

We don't have one (yet) however. I have transported so many children to the hospital following trampoline incidents.

Some safety tips:
1. Inspect it well to be sure that there are no small tears or anything compromising the structure. Place it on the most level ground possible.
2. Purchase a very sturdy "safety net" that goes around it.
3. One person at a time using it is ideal. The risk of injuries goes WAY up when there are several people on there. I will not let my son go on with others.
4. Check with your homeowner's insurance - mine permits trampolines but there is a hefty surcharge.
5. Removing shoes seems like a good idea - both for safety and to prolong the life of the trampoline.

Hope this helps!

#3 ·
Quote:
How can I make trampoline jumping safer?
If your child already uses a trampoline, you should follow these safety measures.

Location of the trampoline and safety features:

Clear the area around the trampoline of objects and do not set the trampoline near trees, fences, poles, or other playground equipment.
Set the trampoline where an energy-absorbing surface (for example, tall grass) surrounds it.
Buy and use a frame pad that covers the entire area of the spring system.
If possible, lower the height to ground level by putting the trampoline in a pit.

Before using the trampoline:

Set rules for trampoline use and discuss them often with your children.
Tell your children about the risks of not using the tramp properly.
Have your children remove any necklaces.

Using the trampoline:

Have someone properly train your child how to do flips and other complex stunts.
Never allow more than one person to use the trampoline at the same time.
Do not allow bouncing followed by jumping off of the trampoline.
Have an adequate number of spotters around the edges of the trampoline.
from http://www.med.umich.edu/1libr/pa/pa_trampinj_hhg.htm

#5 ·
Not trying to be a party-pooper, but I would get rid of it ASAP! I know that would be TERRIBLY hard when the kids already know they're moving to a house that has one! But they are just too dangerous to take chances!!

After watching a Dateline (or some similar show) during the Olympics. They had interviews with the trampoline jumpers that were in the olympics. And ALL of them said their is no way they would have a trampoline for their kids. They gave lots of safety reasons (which were the most convincing) and also some muscle developmental reasons.

My inlaws have one and it scares me to death. I wish they'd Freecycle it or something.

#6 ·
We have a trampoline for our boys, and love it. We do not have one of those safety net things. Our rules are "No touching each other" (because they want to always be action fighting superheros on the tramp) and "No shoes" (prolongs the life of the tramp), also "No one may be UNDER the tramp, while anyone is on top of it"

There are safety issues to consider, obviously. But in my experience both as a child who grew up jumping on a tramp, and a parent having one for my child, responsible enjoyment far outweighs the risk of use.

Oh, I can also see our tramp from about 3 different rooms in the house, and I leave a window cracked so I can hear them out there too, plus I step outside and check on them often as well.

Lisser

#7 ·
We just have a tiny 3' one in our house, and my very active DD loves it!
A friend who is an Occupational Therapist noticed it recently, and raved about all the benefits of such bouncing, for all kids.
I don't remember the details, exactly, but the way it uses both sides of the body is very good somehow, and the practice with keeping balance in such a complex way helps the brain make the electricity it takes to form new connections. So it seems to help the brain grow and develop, and enhances a kid's ability to learn how to do other things.
Cool stuff.

As for those huge ones... I'd be pretty nervous to have one on my property, but if you're up for the responsibility,
for you. You will be a hero to your children.
It's less scary than a pool, right?

Just remember that Gone With the Wind-style pan shot over the fields of injured children in the Simpsons episode on the subject...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.