Mamas of babes born in 2001 - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 113 Old 06-25-2005, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ryvrewillow~ We did home preschooling for awhile and loved it. The are tons of sources on the internet for arts and crafts and age appropriate acitvities. Ask and you shall receive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 113 Old 06-25-2005, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copper
kavamamakava;
...with the food and the "more for me" I have used that too and the minute it came out of my mouth I almost fell off the chair....I sound just like my
mother!! :LOL
At least it's in a good way
#63 of 113 Old 06-25-2005, 01:28 PM

Skanda is really into preschool stuff. He's kind of doing it on his own. Yesterday, he got a piece of paper and a writing pen and wrote me a "note." It had a bunch of letters and numbers and said MOM and YES and NO in there somewhere. He's slowly picking things up as far as reading and writing go and he's never had any instruction. He's just absorbing it. He can read 1,2,3, Skanda, Nadia, Daddy/Dad, Mommy/Mom, stop, go, yes, no, the, and maybe some other words I'm forgetting. He can write anything if you spell it for him.
#64 of 113 Old 06-25-2005, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Oh yeah, Kailey is really into writing, and of course drawing. Just like Mark she is really not a sportsy physical person (except for dance of course). She loves to write letters to her granny, sissy and brothers and her papa. She writes her name like a pro, and will ask how to spell other words. This is getting exciting.

Right now she is playing with her barbie's. Ken and Lauren(one of her classmates) are getting ready to have a baby. I just heard "Lauren" shout to Ken, "I'm having a baby!" The cool thing...she is having it in the same bed as their other child is sleeping in!

Another cooly: This morning I was cleaning out our den area/dining room and she saw a pic of us right after she was born. She noticed it was a hospital and asked why we were there. I said because I had you in a hospital, and that sometimes women give birth there. She said, "but you HAVE to have babies at hom!" I said, "YES, next time we will have a baby at home." I thought that was just TOO cooly!

Kava- Skanda sounds really smart. I love how he can read words and has picked it up on his own. Rock on Skanda!
#65 of 113 Old 06-25-2005, 02:16 PM

Skanda loves dance. But his behavior issues make it very difficult for him
I had him in a creative movement class and he used to have at least 1 meltdown, if not more, every class. By the last class, he was smiling and following the teacher along and doing every move the right way. By the end of class, his cheeks were flushed and his hair sweaty. He was the only kid who was actually able to do all the moves the right way. I was proud of him. But since he was having such a hard time, I didn't re-enroll him during the re-enrollment period and now the class is full Leave it to him to finally get into the groove during the very last class. Maybe I can put him in tap dance next month.
#66 of 113 Old 06-27-2005, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavamamakava
I feel like the lonely posting nut on a dead thread. I hope you all come back soon
But anyway, your description of your son reminds me of Nadia a bit. She sometimes has physical issues that really make her grumpy. When she was born, she had TTN (amniotic fluid in the lungs) and spent a few days in the NICU. They gave her "just in case" antibiotics and she ended up with bad thrush. She was in a bad mood until that subsided and then teething started and pissed her off. She was usually crying when awake unless I was bouncing/swaying/rocking/holding her in extra special and convoluted ways. She had a brief respite for about a year and a half and then ran into constipation issues. I've been dealing with poop issues for about 9 months now and when she hasn't pooped, she's just a complete grumpy bear. When she has recently emptied her bowels, she's happy as a lark. She'll be 3 on Friday next week.
Lucas also has constipation issues. As soon as we started solids with him he has been having problems off and on. He was recently put on Miralax and this is helping some. It is hard to know what will set him off and put him in a grumpy mood.
#67 of 113 Old 06-27-2005, 04:24 AM

We're doing Miralax too. She is so perceptive that she knows it makes her poop and refuses to drink it if she sees me add it to a drink. She won't drink anything I've prepared out of her sight either. I've started letting her have maple syrup in a cup with a spoon and adding a 1/4 dose to it. She'll do it that way.
#68 of 113 Old 06-27-2005, 05:55 PM

Lucas has been not wanting to drink anything if he knows it has the Miralax in it too. I've been able to get him to drink smaller doses of water with it mixed in it though. My dd is also on Miralax and she'll drink it with no problem even when she knows it's in there. She likes that it makes her poop soft and so she gladly will take the Miralax.
#69 of 113 Old 06-27-2005, 05:56 PM

my dd celia was born sep 15 2001. She was diagnosed with autism earlier in the year. I started reading this thread expecting to end up crying {like I frequently do when watching kids her age play} but Im pleasantly surprised. She's not too far behind and improving every day. My dd's 3 biggest issues are:

speech: she's always been unintelligible to everyone but me but recently she's been more understandable and shes' starting to have better receptive language as well. She understands prepositions now like: under, on top of, next to, and she's beginning to speak in 4or5 word sent. instead of 3, and even occasionally a long one like "mommy I dropped all the beads on the floor. Celia cry{ing}" or " Mommy I want to play puzzles with Rowan" and people at the grocery now respond to her instead of just wierd looks.

play skills: for a while my dd did not play with any of her toys appropriately, for example stacking or ripping books and arranging sets of animals etc. Now I have all the toys away and a picture schedule on the wall and we plan each day in advance and I help her to play with things, and with her brother, then put them away and move on. Neither one of them gets a chance to destroy or play inappropriately. The way my kids are, they do something once then make a habit/routine thats hard to break - like ripping books. But she's also showing signs of improvement, she's begun putting her dolls to sleep and holding hands with teddy and playing pretend things with them. Im soo proud and happy to see this. She can stand on one foot to kick but not hop. she can throw and catch.

social skills: here's our biggest problem, we dont have enough opportunities to work on these. Her at home social skills - with her brother are getting better tho. Less hitting/ grabbing with the schedule, when something comes up like this we just move on to the next activity. Punishing {while against my ideals as well} just doesnt work for autistic kids. If I were to remove her from a situation when she acts out she would see that as an effective strategy to get what she wants. Instead I try to keep the atmosphere one that is calming and stimulating in the right balance, with lots of fun things to do. She acts out when she has unstructured time.

her cognitive skills arent too far behind most other posts here. She can recognize her name and her brother's and mommy. She knows the letter C. She like to make beaded necklaces herself with only a little help. She knows her colors and circles and squares, but she gets confused about rectangles and triangles.

Wow, sorry Ive written a book here! Im just so proud and happy. She's recently begun making so many improvements: I know she can catch up eventually, I know she WILL talk and be understood, I know she will learn to regulate her own behavior. I wasnt so sure a few months ago when I got the diagnosis, in Feb.

SO hi to everybody! Thanks for sharing so much about what your kids are into right now. It made me smile, not cry, and I am also grateful for that.

We're definitely homeschholing too, if its not obvious from the above.

~Sadie fly-by-nursing1.gifintactlact.gif  guitar.gif sewmachine.gif - mom to dd 9/15/01, ds 11/12/03 {ubac}, and ds 4/29/2011, wife to Mitchell.  pos.gif coming soon in late June!
#70 of 113 Old 06-27-2005, 07:14 PM

it sounds like your dd is doing really well. This thread also helped me to see that it's not just my child who is having temper tantrums and outbursts at 4. We're hoping the psychologist will help with some of his issues. We see the physical therapist tomorrow to see if his gross motor skills are behind in anyway. We plan on having him in preschool, but I'm looking into homeschooling in case we need to go that route.
#71 of 113 Old 06-28-2005, 03:38 AM

kitty waltz: Today, Skanda made friends with an older boy (maybe 10 or 11?) at the Breastfeeding Rally. They played so well together and the boy was so wonderful with him that I wanted to cry. He was so patient and just listened to him talk without getting impatient that his words weren't clear. He was just the most peaceful kid and they really seemed to like each other. They ran in circles around the fountain for a good hour. I wanted to bring the boy home. It turns out that his mom is a local LLL leader so maybe they'll get to see each other again
I've just been so down about my recent preschool experience where they just didn't seem to like him due to his outbursts and tendency to hit/kick/headbutt. I try so hard to work with him and help him and felt like I had gone majorly wrong somewhere. When I found his mom, I couldn't tell her enough how much I liked her son and I felt like such a goof when my eyes teared up.
#72 of 113 Old 06-28-2005, 09:53 AM

Quick little intro here!

My name is Teresa. My son, Tristan was born Feb 1, 2001. I need to read through all the messages here still, but wanted to say HELLO to all you fellow mamas of 2001 babies.

I see a few others here have children with special needs. Tristan was diagnosed with "mild" autism in May of 2003. His main areas of concern were language development, social skills and poor eye contact. He attended a special preschool for a year and has made lots of progress. He has good eye contact quite often, he is speaking in 4 and 5 word sentences pretty frequently, and he has great self-help skills. Still need to work on some social stuff, but factor in the fact that he's 4 and it's going to be work no matter what his needs, lol.

I used to hate reading about other 2001 kids and all of their developments, but I've come to realize that Tristan is who he is and what he does is wonderful. He'll pick things up in his own time. I am convinced that he's been on his own agenda since conception!

Ok, I'll be back to post more later
Teresa
#73 of 113 Old 06-28-2005, 10:31 AM

Great thread. I haven't read all the other posts but will come back for sure. I have a dd who will be four this August. She is very verbal and chatty. She can talk your ear off and I love her for it. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree. I worry about her shyness and clingyness. I was a painfully shy person as a child and to today a party or large crowd can have me hiding. She worries me when I see her growl at a child she doesn't know try to play with her or when she clings to me. I'll read the rest of the posts to see what your children are like.
#74 of 113 Old 06-28-2005, 12:02 PM

Hi! Can I join the mommy play group?

My ds, Isaiah, was born in Jan. 2001. He's a talkative little guy who loves airplanes like they're going out of style.

We're having mealtime issues now as many of you have mentioned. I call him into the dining room for dinner and the first thing he says is "Is there any green-stuff?"

Will visit this thread again soon!

Lisa ~ Homeschooling mama to 9yo ds and 7yo dd both born at home and expecting #3 in November!
#75 of 113 Old 06-28-2005, 12:40 PM

DD was born Oct 01. ANy advice for handling lying? She seems to have two ways of handling discomfort with authority: run and hide or stand there and lie. Her sister never got this creative; I really don't think I'm an ogre. She gets more time outs/ sit downs for lying than for the crimes. Yikes. I need some positive models for her.
#76 of 113 Old 06-28-2005, 12:59 PM

Green ketchup should be fun for Isaiah. :LOL
momtoo: my Nadia is big on denying things. I try not to phrase things so she has the chance to do so. Otherwise I laugh. "DID you just squeeze all the cream out and rub it into your hands?" (While I'm looking at globs of white cream all over her hands). "NO Mommy!"
Instead, I just tell her that cream is for diaperbutts and she can help me put it on the baby and that we don't want to waste it.
So next time "Oh Nadia, the cream is all over your hands again" *sigh* "We don't want to waste it, Mommy."
One of these days I'll get her to stop climbing and twisting and doing everything she can to find the diaper cream I've hidden from her and squeezing it all out.
#77 of 113 Old 06-28-2005, 01:26 PM

Those are cute pics.
Kids all develop at their own pace so don't do too much worrying.
Just keep doing the best you can for her
#78 of 113 Old 06-28-2005, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lula
We have the food thing going a bit also. It seems to go in spurts though like one day she hates something she has loved for 2 years and refuses to eat it for a month. However, I often catch her eating the offending food item later, of course no comment from her as to what changed. She is really into trying things but seems to go from wild trying to regressing to three food items and swings back and forth from these two stages.lula
Two things that have really helped our mealtimes: 1. marketing. Rolling things into pinwheels or arranging them as smileys on the plate. Parmesan or ketchup nearby. (She eats spinach leaves while calling them "gum." Since she's not allowed to have gum, this cracks her up.) 2. Silence. once she understands that the menu is not open for debate, I drop it. The plate sometimes stays there after dinner, and she'll show up to eat it when no one is watching. Good luck!
#79 of 113 Old 06-28-2005, 01:40 PM

Nadia does that too, momtoo. I have to leave her plate on the table after we've cleared up after dinner. She almost always goes back to it after initially refusing it during dinner time.
#80 of 113 Old 06-28-2005, 02:57 PM

I haven't had time to go through and read all posts on this thread though am making my way through it a bit at a time. I wanted to tell Ilovebakedgoods that my son is 'special needs' and is in an integrated nursery school, receiving some services, and he and most other 4 year olds I know are still working through social stuff--it's the time in their lives that they do an enormous amount of socializing and it takes a long time. I just wanted to say, it's what's happening, just at varying speeds. It sounds as if Tristan has made tremendous progress and is doing well which is great to hear.
#81 of 113 Old 06-28-2005, 04:27 PM

Natalie was born July 24th, 2001. So, I am in this tribe too.

Natalie is the most amazing and quirky child I have ever encountered.

She is such a character. Always laughing and trying to make other people laugh. She is like a little monkey. Climbs all over everything and everyone. Sometimes she even surprises me with what she does. But, let me tell you...she can be a little brute too. She will get down on the floor and wrestle with her 145 lb brother and just laugh everything off. She also has a very colorful vocabulary with shocks and embarasses me sometimes, but I know that she gets it from her biological father and his girlfriend, so it isn't completely her fault.

Her speech is clear. To me any ways, but since I am usually with her 24/7 except when she is in school that might be why I can understand her so clearly. Her father (who only sees her 6 days a month) says that he has a hard time understanding her, but I personally think that he just has a hard time paying enough attention to her to even try and get what she is saying to him.

She wants to take dance class and gymnastics but, right now money is so tight that it isn't really an option. But, I turn the radio on at home and she dances all around the house, and she is just as happy.

She just got her new glasses today. Unfortunately she was cursed with my bad eyesight, along with Haylea-Ann. We just found out that she has a severe Astigmatism in her right eye. She has to wear her glasses for a month and then go back to the Dr. If the glasses haven't started helping then she might need surgury. Which totally freaks me out, but, I know that my baby is a toughie, and will be fine.

Any other 2001 babies out there with glasses?

Christina:~Student mama to Collyn(13), Haylea-Ann (9):, and Natalie (8) , and SO to Jeff.
#82 of 113 Old 06-28-2005, 05:21 PM

Quote:
"DID you just squeeze all the cream out and rub it into your hands?" (While I'm looking at globs of white cream all over her hands). "NO Mommy!"
Instead, I just tell her that cream is for diaperbutts and she can help me put it on the baby and that we don't want to waste it.
So next time "Oh Nadia, the cream is all over your hands again" *sigh* "We don't want to waste it, Mommy."
One of these days I'll get her to stop climbing and twisting and doing everything she can to find the diaper cream I've hidden from her and squeezing it all out.
Lucas does this too. Just yesterday he had toothpaste all over his hands and was smearing it in the sink and made handprints on the wall. He likes to "paint" with lotion and diaper cream as well.

He had an evaluation with an OT and she said he is tactile sensitive. We still need to see the psychologist for his outbursts and temper tantrums.
#83 of 113 Old 06-28-2005, 07:35 PM

Haha...green ketchup. I don't think he'd eat that either.

I finally got him to try hummus, he loves it, says it tastes like cheese. Now I just have to merge some carrot sticks with that hummus and we're set. :LOL

Pagan princess - Isaiah loves to dance too. He and his li'l sis love for me to turn on some music and dance around the living room. His favorite song now is Coldplay's Speed of Sound.

Lisa ~ Homeschooling mama to 9yo ds and 7yo dd both born at home and expecting #3 in November!
#84 of 113 Old 06-28-2005, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyvreWillow
Is anyone else homeschooling? Even just for preschool?
Yep. Unschooling also.

Em 43 - Wife to hubby Mom to DS born: Jan. '01
#85 of 113 Old 06-28-2005, 11:59 PM

Also popping in to subscribe. I will write more about us in a bit. It is late and I am tired but am so glad to find this thread.
#86 of 113 Old 06-29-2005, 07:35 PM

Quote:
kavamamakava said:

Today, Skanda made friends with an older boy (maybe 10 or 11?) at the Breastfeeding Rally. They played so well together and the boy was so wonderful with him that I wanted to cry. He was so patient and just listened to him talk without getting impatient that his words weren't clear. He was just the most peaceful kid and they really seemed to like each other. They ran in circles around the fountain for a good hour. I wanted to bring the boy home. It turns out that his mom is a local LLL leader so maybe they'll get to see each other again .
that is such a sweet story! My eyes seem to tear up a lot now, since Ive understood how different Celia is. I never used to cry much at all but I frequently tear up watching other kids her age playing and talking about something, or if someone actually understands her at the grocery store or something.

yea, we are unschoolers here, too.

~Sadie fly-by-nursing1.gifintactlact.gif  guitar.gif sewmachine.gif - mom to dd 9/15/01, ds 11/12/03 {ubac}, and ds 4/29/2011, wife to Mitchell.  pos.gif coming soon in late June!
#87 of 113 Old 06-29-2005, 08:32 PM

I think I'm a little oversensitive now because of our awful preschool experience where they made me feel like he was a pariah.
#88 of 113 Old 06-29-2005, 09:21 PM

We are homeschooling our preschooler also. He loves to go on nature walks, read books, tell make-believe stories, and learn lots about airplanes. I bought a homeschooling workbook for Isaiah which I work on with him 3-4x a week. (ABC Home Preschool)

#89 of 113 Old 06-29-2005, 09:21 PM

Quote:
I think I'm a little oversensitive now because of our awful preschool experience where they made me feel like he was a pariah.

#90 of 113 Old 06-30-2005, 01:00 AM

Quote:

Was he behaving worse at preschool vs. home? My ds has major issues at home, but seemed to do fine at preschool. There was only one issue that his teachers mentioned to me. If Lucas was playing by himself on the floor and another child came near him he would yell at them to get away. His teachers said it was almost funny because normally he was a very quiet child. The OT we saw said this is a sensory issue. He is afraid the child will touch him or get in his space.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page