Mamas of babes born in 2001 - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-03-2005, 03:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,
I'm gonna go back and read all the posts. Just wanted to subscribe.

I can't believe my son is 4 now and WOW.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2005, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karry

Was he behaving worse at preschool vs. home? My ds has major issues at home, but seemed to do fine at preschool. There was only one issue that his teachers mentioned to me. If Lucas was playing by himself on the floor and another child came near him he would yell at them to get away. His teachers said it was almost funny because normally he was a very quiet child. The OT we saw said this is a sensory issue. He is afraid the child will touch him or get in his space.
Oh about the same. He has a tendency to hit and rage. There was an incident at school where a girl messed up his train tracks and train and he pushed her when he got mad. When the teacher tried to intervene, he head butted her. But he had only been there 4 times and this incident had them ready to get rid of him.
Old 07-03-2005, 03:55 PM

We are homeschoolers.

My son can be so interesting and mature in his conversation with me one minute and the next minute he's head butting me and talking like his preverbal little brother. I know he's having some regression issues by having a little brother, but I think this is pretty common.

Actually, reading Karry's posts makes me think we're parenting the same child. We also had an OT eval for tactile sensitivity, oral issues and not eating. We have the psych eval coming next month. I think he's mostly within the normal range of 4yo behavior, but hope I can get some help in the eating dept.

Cute stuff: My son was eating the last of the popsicles and I asked him if he could share some with his little brother. My son said, "I'd be delighted."
Old 07-03-2005, 04:25 PM

It does sound like our children our similar. Lucas has recently been sounding more like his baby brother during his crying fits. He'll say mama over and over just like his brother does when he is crying. I'm guessing he is also regressing some because he has a younger brother. We still waiting on the psych eval. Maybe that will tell us something.
Old 07-03-2005, 06:27 PM

Hi, I haven't read all the posts, but wanted to pop in to say, Pagan-princess, that I have a Fall 2001 kid who wears glasses. She has been wearing them for over a year. The lenses are cracked and the frames have seen better days. I hope to get her a new pair soon.

She has a tendency to tantrum, more so in the summer, and I'm starting to suspect that her glasses, which have a magnifying effect, make it difficult for her to tolerate intense sun. I worry that she is getting headaches that lead to frequent freak-outs and would like to speak to the optician about sunglasses.

No intentions to home school here -- a serious lack of patience. Dd is in daycare/preschool five days a week.
Old 07-03-2005, 10:09 PM

Just thought I'd chime in. I am momma to two boys ds#1 born July 3rd today!!! Cancer energy- whew!

He is spirited and sensitive, but ultra cool sporting his mohawk right now.

Thanks for directing me here!
Old 07-04-2005, 11:46 PM

Ds is exactly 4 1/2 today and I have to say that I think we're rounding a corner here. Things sllloooooooowwwllly smoothing out. *baby steps to age five, baby steps to age five*

Ok... but we do have something new in the works. DS has found his penis. I mean, not the kind where they are pulling it off in the bath, but has truly began to understand that its "kind of neat." He loves hiding and I thought it was just about a hide and seek game but it seems he has more serious matters to attend to. I went to sneak up on him and "find him" which he usually adores, but when I got to the corner where he always hides, his pants were around his ankles. At first I was concerned (ok panicked!) that he was peeing on the carpet (we went through a brief stage about a year ago--ugh), but that was clearly not on the priority list. I was relieved,Oh, its just that. Whew!

Has anyone been there yet? On one hand, its nice that he seems to understand that its a private thing, but on the other, I don't want him to think he has to 'hide it' per se. I'm planning to have the short and sweet chat with him tomorrow about how NORMAL and OK it is, but like going to the potty, a private place is best.

TMI? Sorry... it was just so new!

Em 43 - Wife to hubby Mom to DS born: Jan. '01
Old 07-05-2005, 09:50 AM

Ryvre is aware of his penis; it seems like he knows it's something fun, lol, but it doesn't hold his interest THAT long yet, haha. We also take the "oh, that's fine, but please do it in your room, not at the table, and not in the middle of the living room" approach.
Old 07-05-2005, 10:30 AM

Embee: Skanda plays around and mostly likes to tell me that he has a foreskin and his penis hides in it. Sometimes he pulls back his foreskin and wants to show anyone who will look that his penis is in there. I had to explain to Nadia that while it was a neat trick, only Skanda was allowed to bring push his foreskin back, not her. I've also tried to direct him to do that neat little trick by himself and not as a show and tell. But I haven't noticed him intently playing with himself to enjoy the sensations. Nadia does that though. She likes to watch TV and "explore" herself.
Old 07-17-2005, 10:42 PM

ok ds is technically 2000 but only by 2 days! nak-ing so will be back tommorow to read and post
Old 07-18-2005, 09:13 AM

hello, everyone, my ds is four, his birthday was June 7, 2001. Avery was also in dance!! He took tap and ballet, his picture is of him in his Beast costume, they did Beauty and the Beast. Four is really great in many ways, he is quite independant and he will dress himself, and he poops on the potty now without crying first :LOL ..but I am so sick of "why why why why why?????" Oh my goodness, questions just for the sake of talking. Im so sick of repeating myself!!!
Old 07-18-2005, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodo
Hi, I haven't read all the posts, but wanted to pop in to say, Pagan-princess, that I have a Fall 2001 kid who wears glasses. She has been wearing them for over a year. The lenses are cracked and the frames have seen better days. I hope to get her a new pair soon.
My Avery wears glasses!!
Old 07-18-2005, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagan_princess

Any other 2001 babies out there with glasses?

yep, Avery has them. His right eye was turning in, so i took him to the doc in February, and he gave him a pretty strong perscription..i guess he is...... far sighted? He cant see up close. We went back 3 months later and he said that they are working and the prescription he has is good for now.. for the next year. My brother works at an eye place, thank goodness, as we have already replaced his lenses once. .... my uncles puppy grabbed his glasses right off Avery's face.. and they had terrible marks in them...
Old 07-18-2005, 04:40 PM

Hi everyone! I'm Pam, mama to two little boys. My Alex was born on April 1, 2001, an April Fool's baby! I'd love to join in!

Alex is asking tons of questions lately and driving us nuts! I was expecting the "why" questions not the "what is/are" questions. Seriously, he asked me "what is God?" a month ago and I just blanked. At the park over the weekend, he saw a man jogging by without a shirt. Alex is the friendliest guy in the world and strikes up a conversation with everybody, so he gets right n this guy's path to ask him, "Man, why are you naked?" That cracked everyone up!

We've been homeschooling up to this point, but Alex has been asking to go to school (he sees his daddy going to school everyday for law school), so we're going to try play-school three days a week. Not sure what we'll do for kindergarten and beyond yet.

Gotta go rescue the wee one!

Pam

Mama to ds 11, ds 7, dd 5, dd 2, and dd born on 6/17/12!

Old 07-20-2005, 01:34 AM

Hi! My son will be four on August 4!! He is a spirited extrovert. Ds believes that we go to restaurants so he can meet people.

I must say that three was a difficult year for us. Ds had the transition to "big brother" to tackle. The first few months were rough! Screaming fits at bedtime that could last hours. Then dh and I disagreed on how to discipline ds. Pile some general job related unhappiness (for dh) to the mix, and stir it into a wicked frenzy.

Then we moved. And things are better. Ds misses his best buddy. We still see him once a week when we go back to take care of our unsold house. But it isn't the same. They used to play together every day.

Glad to know this thread is here! My computer is SLOOOOOOOW, so it will take me awhile to catch up.
Old 08-07-2005, 02:12 AM

I thought I'd bump this thread up.

Lucas had his evaluation with the psychologist and with the evaluation from the OT he now qualifies for a special preschool at a public school in our school district. There will be an OT in his classroom once a week. He will be going three days a week for half days and starts August 15th. Hopefully this will help with some of his tantrums and other behavior issues. Lately his tantrums have become more frequent and more intense and usually I have no idea what will set him off.

I hope to hear how your 4 year olds are doing.
Old 08-08-2005, 02:29 PM

The past week, Ryvre has been having major tantrums (not the throwing-himself-on-the-floor-kicking-and-screaming sort he had at age two, but just standing there and screaming for 10-60 minutes at a time, which no amount of rationalizing seems to help). He's also wetting the bed alot more. Is this just "something they go through" at this age, or is he stressed out? I wonder, because my husband recently started working nights, so the kids see alot less of him (he sleeps most of the day, then goes back to work). Also, there's the whole new-baby-coming-thing, but he already has a two-year-old sister, and never had any issues with her. My two-year-old isn't acting strange at all, so i'm super-confused!
Old 08-08-2005, 03:22 PM

My dd will be 4 in less than two month 10/4/01. She is also always tripping and has bruises all over that I never know where they come from.

Payton seems to have a bit of a lisp, can't say certain sounds together. This seems to run in my family as my younger brother had to go to speech therapy when he was younger, and my mom has had problems with certain sounds. I am going to give her another 6-12 months to see if it improves at all before I have someone see her.
Old 08-16-2005, 01:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
hello, all,
I just read all pages of the thread and hear parts of DS in this thread. DS turned 4 in july.

he is strong willed and he needs to be in CONTROL! sigh.
it is manifesting in the potty training...he only goes pee in the potty, will not go poop. I had to go back to PULL ups for poop, I let him wear underwear and when he feels the poop coming he is to either get the pull ups or ask me for them.

As discouraged as I am by the potty training I know it will sort its way out..but the one thing that does concern me and I'm drawing comfort from this thread about it..is his communication with peers and others. He seems to prefer to talk AT people then a real communication. It seems to be stuff like, "hey, ben, I saw an oil well!" or "I'm going on a plane." and when others try to engage in some other type of conversation, he doesn't want to listen he does not want to answer.. case in point, my friend came over last night and he said to DS "hey I want to ask you a question and DS would not look at him and was only talking about what he wanted to talk about. So, I had to get DS's attention and told him to look at my friend and here my friend's question. My friend then asked, "Are you excited about going on your first airplane?" and then DS answered, "yes!" and then went back to his discussion...

does anyone else have this thing going on with them?

so glad to see this thread.

Check out New Moon on my Astrology Site

http://tracyastrosalon.blogspot.com/

Old 08-16-2005, 02:57 PM

DS turns four at the end of this month.

Right now he is really into "Super Heros" (and Villans, I guess, since he is currently dressed up as Darth Vader). I understand the Star Wars thing (DP loves SW) but the Batman/SpiderMan thing is a bit odder.

He will be starting 2day a week co-op next month. Very excited. And he's pretty sure he wants to go to kinder the next yer (he is an 8/31 b-day in an 8/31 cutoff district with a tendancy to hold boys back).

As I reported elsewhere, he started swimming (well, flailing around in the water with his face in, feet off the ground, lol) recently. He won't take off the training wheels even though he is past ready. He's still nursing a lot, but except for this past week has really been stretching out in the night (to one stretch of 4-5 hours).

Potty trained Feb 2004 by himself so that isn't an issue.

Thankfully, his obsession with Harry Potter Uno seems to have burned out.

Old 08-16-2005, 07:56 PM

Lucas is really into the heroes now too. He loves Spiderman, Batman and the Fantastic Four.

He had his first day at his new school today. The teacher said he did fine. He started to get upset when I we were leaving though, he didn't want to leave the extra clothes that I brought. He wanted them back in his backpack. He likes to carry a backpack with lots of things in it. If it's not "heavy" he doesn't like it.

The school will provide transportation, meaning a bus will come to our curb to pick him up and take him home. Right now I am taking him and picking him up. Am I wrong in thinking 4 is a little young to ride the bus all the way to school? I asked Lucas if he would want to ride the bus, and he said he's not sure. I may have him try it in a couple of weeks, but I'm still unsure.
Old 08-16-2005, 08:00 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

How did I not notice this thread before?

ds was born in mid-november 2001.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
Old 08-17-2005, 07:53 PM

Rowan is a Sseptember 2001 boy. MIL was a speech therapist and says he's ahead of his age as far as both vocab and intelligibility go, although she's playing games with him to help him pronounce his "L"s. He's very creative and very stubborn, and totally into Thomas the Tank Engine and Spiderman (with occasional forays into Batman). Not much interest in dinosaurs yet. I remember reading that kids this age like superheros and dinosaurs and such because of the power they represent--it seems like a reasonable explanation to me. He's just recently decided he's ready for pottying, and is doing great with pee, not quite there yet with poop. And I guess that's a good summary!

User Tag List