Shocked, discusted, feeling hopeless - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 66 Old 06-13-2005, 11:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had to chime in as I was a ballet dancer and teacher before kids. If you pay only $15 a month for lessons then that is probably the quality you will get. If you want serious instruction you are going to have to pay for it. You need to research your schools and don't go with the ones who are heavy into the competition stuff. I would go to the school associated with the professional performing company of your city. I must say that IMO 2 and 3 yr olds are too young for anything other than a creative movement class. I used to get students all the time who's parents would say so and so has been dancing for 4 yrs (the kids is 6)! And the kid would basically be a beginner in my class....no basic knowledge at all. I couldn't say "you just wasted 4yrs worth of money"....but they did. I wouldn't put my child in ballet before the age of 5 or 6 depending on maturity. Just my 2cents.

momma to 4!
#62 of 66 Old 06-23-2005, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjandosmom
I had to chime in as I was a ballet dancer and teacher before kids. If you pay only $15 a month for lessons then that is probably the quality you will get. If you want serious instruction you are going to have to pay for it. You need to research your schools and don't go with the ones who are heavy into the competition stuff. I would go to the school associated with the professional performing company of your city. I must say that IMO 2 and 3 yr olds are too young for anything other than a creative movement class. I used to get students all the time who's parents would say so and so has been dancing for 4 yrs (the kids is 6)! And the kid would basically be a beginner in my class....no basic knowledge at all. I couldn't say "you just wasted 4yrs worth of money"....but they did. I wouldn't put my child in ballet before the age of 5 or 6 depending on maturity. Just my 2cents.
I agree. Any class that is advertised as a ballet class for ages 6 and under are probably a creative movement class. They may incorporate basic ballet moves.

I do not think age 2 is too young to start daning though, as long as the program is designed to invoke the love of dance and is fun! At that point it is not about mastery. As long as the parents know that, it is not a waste of money. It is a great activity that nutures friendships and is a ton of fun!

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#63 of 66 Old 06-23-2005, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBee
I do not think age 2 is too young to start daning though, as long as the program is designed to invoke the love of dance and is fun! At that point it is not about mastery. As long as the parents know that, it is not a waste of money. It is a great activity that nutures friendships and is a ton of fun!
Tonight is my dd's dress rehearsal for her first dance recital. I am
excited, she is excited. Her teachers don't pressure them at this
young age, but I am really impressed with some of the older children
involved with dance at this studio.
At age 4 (5 today) my daughter has made a very close friendship
with another little girl, and I have made a new friend with the Mom.
That is rare for me for us to meet a child and Mother we both really
enjoy spending time with. She might not be a ballerina when she
grows up, but she gained friendship and FUN! TOTALLY worth it.

-Janna, independent mother of dd, Ms. Mattie Sky born on my 25th birthday, 06*23*2000. My Mama Feb.21,1938-Sept.10,2006
#64 of 66 Old 06-23-2005, 03:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potty Diva
The 5 yr old were grinding their hips and shaking their booties while parents in the audience were WHOO HOOING can you even believe it?? Yeah, way to sexualize your child. I could have puked!!!
: yucko
#65 of 66 Old 06-24-2005, 01:54 PM

My 5 yr old just finished summer tap class that lasted a week. And I was pleasantly surprised at how much she learned in that one week. They learned a few basic steps and the name of the steps as well. Even though she doesn't want to take tap in the Fall, she wants to take the class again next week. This Fall will be her 3rd year of ballet and just those two years of ballet really helped her in the tap class. I was kind of surprised she didn't want to take tap, but given the choice, she chose ballet. She has a natural love for dance and I hope she keeps it.
#66 of 66 Old 06-27-2005, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity6232000
Tonight is my dd's dress rehearsal for her first dance recital. I am
excited, she is excited. Her teachers don't pressure them at this
young age, but I am really impressed with some of the older children
involved with dance at this studio.
At age 4 (5 today) my daughter has made a very close friendship
with another little girl, and I have made a new friend with the Mom.
That is rare for me for us to meet a child and Mother we both really
enjoy spending time with. She might not be a ballerina when she
grows up, but she gained friendship and FUN! TOTALLY worth it.
That is great!

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page