Would you let your ds join the Boy Scouts? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 161 Old 06-17-2005, 03:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
chfriend and Hellokitty--
my girls will not be in girl scouts because of the planned parenthood information they can give out...granted it is decided by the local chapters if they can/want to do it with the girls and is not mandated as part of the national girl scout "rules" but dh and I are firmly against them teaching it to our children.
to read more (if you are interested that is ) you can see a quick story here http://www.lifenews.com/nat442.html
(just one of many I found really quick googling)

HTH

Jessica-
college student and mama to 7 kiddos!
#62 of 161 Old 06-17-2005, 04:00 PM

I knew there was something about Girl Scouts that I liked.
#63 of 161 Old 06-17-2005, 04:02 PM

:

Another super thing about Girl Scouts! I should go buy more cookies to support them.....

-Angela
#64 of 161 Old 06-17-2005, 04:22 PM
Banned

To be honest, I do not know. I don't have a son (yet - I am pregnant but we don't know if it is ab oy or a girl...)

I strongly disagree with an open stance AGAINST gays. But, I suppose if my son REALLY wanted in very badly and lots of his friends were in, I might let him. Then again, I might not.
#65 of 161 Old 06-17-2005, 04:27 PM

Love the Girl Scouts!

I wish the Boy Scouts were more like them! Our Cub Scout Pack gives little to no money to the national organization. We don't sell popcorn. I love our Pack because it is so independent. Also, while we do say the Cub Scout promise, we never pray before anything. Individual members may choose to do so but we don't pray as a Pack. The Pack is run as secular as possible.
#66 of 161 Old 06-17-2005, 04:33 PM

Thanx for answering crunchywannabe

I might go buy more cookies myself... but I respect your differing point of view and appreciate the info :

Great for nature studies! http://www.pleinairkids.com
Plein Air Kids - Handmade wooden art boxes for Budding Artists.
#67 of 161 Old 06-17-2005, 04:35 PM

My boys will start Cub Scouts at age 8.

We are six: Me : Dh : Ds1('00) Dd('02) Ds2('05) Ds3('08) and, wow! Soon to be seven, Dd2 due 4/23.
#68 of 161 Old 06-17-2005, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloKitty
Thanx for answering crunchywannabe

I might go buy more cookies myself... but I respect your differing point of view and appreciate the info :
no problem!

I actually buy cookies still because I can't resist them (I swear they have drugs as an ingredient to hook you on them!!!)

We just don't want the girls involved in an organization that goes against what we teach our children.

but I respect others choice to put their girls in (or who choose to not do boyscouts)

Jessica-
#69 of 161 Old 06-17-2005, 05:44 PM

Quote:
non-gay youth
Gay youth are allowed to join, just no gay leaders.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#70 of 161 Old 06-17-2005, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFmom
I knew there was something about Girl Scouts that I liked.

I may have to rethink my stance...the god stuff does bother me, though.
#71 of 161 Old 06-17-2005, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phathui5
Still unacceptable imo.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#72 of 161 Old 06-17-2005, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna
Sadly, no, I would not allow any sons of mine to participate in such a prejudiced group as the boy scouts. Which is really a shame as I believe strongly in all the good that can come from scouting

-Angela
ditto. It's a total bummer.
#73 of 161 Old 06-17-2005, 10:45 PM

I know dh and I are going to have an argument about Boy Scouts. I've already informed him to be prepared for it when the time comes. :LOL He was in Boy Scouts for years, and I was in Girl Scouts, so he can't quite see why I'll let dd be in GS, but not let ds be in Boy Scouts. Oh well... I have a few years to work on it.

GS lets people substitute and/or eliminate 'God' from the pledge. Not to mention they don't have any sort of anti-gay stance.

Kash, homeschooling mommy to Gillian (8/5/00) and Jacob (3/23/05)
and Brigid Eleanor (11/20/08)
#74 of 161 Old 06-18-2005, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phathui5
Actually no. Gay boys are not allowed either. There have been several cases where they have been kicked out.

-Angela
#75 of 161 Old 06-18-2005, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchywannabe
my girls will not be in girl scouts because of the planned parenthood information they can give out...granted it is decided by the local chapters if they can/want to do it with the girls and is not mandated as part of the national girl scout "rules" but dh and I are firmly against them teaching it to our children.
to read more (if you are interested that is ) you can see a quick story here http://www.lifenews.com/nat442.html
(just one of many I found really quick googling)

HTH
I don't expect you do *change* anything, but posting an article that refers to Planned Parenthood as PRO-ABORTION is really offensive.

Do you enjoy being called ANTI-CHOICE (which, in reality, is more accurate than "pro-abortion)?

#76 of 161 Old 06-18-2005, 10:53 AM

lifenews?

man.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#77 of 161 Old 06-18-2005, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredX2
I don't expect you do *change* anything, but posting an article that refers to Planned Parenthood as PRO-ABORTION is really offensive.
I posted THAT article because it showed the link between girl scouts and planned parenthood...no other reason.
Quote:
Do you enjoy being called ANTI-CHOICE (which, in reality, is more accurate than "pro-abortion)?
not sure where that question comes from...I believe in a womens choice, but I don't believe in abortion personally.

Jessica-
#78 of 161 Old 06-18-2005, 02:16 PM

Quote:
I actually buy cookies still because I can't resist them (I swear they have drugs as an ingredient to hook you on them!!!)

We just don't want the girls involved in an organization that goes against what we teach our children.
Ugh, if you read the ingredients, they're all hydrogenated nastiness...I don't buy them anymore.

I wouldn't mind the planned parenthood thing, I hope we can all teach our daughters about their choices & options for those choices.

I was in the girl scouts & I HATED it. Like a pp mentioned, it was all stupid songs and "crafts" (read: making frickin pot holders) while my brother got to go on camping trips, build fires, do community work. It was so sexist and ridiculous.
#79 of 161 Old 06-18-2005, 03:07 PM

Quote:
I posted THAT article because it showed the link between girl scouts and planned parenthood...no other reason.

not sure where that question comes from...I believe in a womens choice, but I don't believe in abortion personally.
I must have misunderstood. You said, "We just don't want the girls involved in an organization that goes against what we teach our children" in regards to Girl Scouts being associated with Planned Parenthood and then provided a link calling PP "Pro-Abortion" so I assumed that what went against your beliefs/what you teach your children was reproductive choice.

Now I really don't understand what you meant.

And I still think that calling PP PRO-ABORTION is offensive. If there is a lot of information about there about this link between GS & PP, perhaps you could find a different source.

#80 of 161 Old 06-18-2005, 04:12 PM

Never. I don't like the religious affiliation (they're practically owned by the LDS church, and that leaves a very, very bad taste in my mouth. I'm not just talking out my butt here, either... my father is an ex-mormon.) Their stance on gays is disgusting as well. I also don't like the assumption that every member is a member of a Judeo-Christian religion, and the fact that a medallion stating one's religion is a part of the uniform. Not a required part, but a part nonetheless.

babyf.gif

#81 of 161 Old 06-18-2005, 04:18 PM
A&A

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Here the B.S. are strongly associated with one particular religion......so probably not, because I wouldn't want my son to feel like an outsider because of his religion (or lack thereof).

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#82 of 161 Old 06-18-2005, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredX2
I must have misunderstood. You said, "We just don't want the girls involved in an organization that goes against what we teach our children" in regards to Girl Scouts being associated with Planned Parenthood and then provided a link calling PP "Pro-Abortion" so I assumed that what went against your beliefs/what you teach your children was reproductive choice.

Now I really don't understand what you meant.

And I still think that calling PP PRO-ABORTION is offensive. If there is a lot of information about there about this link between GS & PP, perhaps you could find a different source.
oh! I see what you mean now. I am sorry I was not more clear.

what I meant was that we teach our children to be abstinent....so anything to do with planned parenthood goes against our teachings (whether it be abortion or having brith control.) does that make sense?

there are tons of reports from the news online about the gs and pp link. that just happened to be the first one I pulled up and I was in a hurry to post.

Jessica-
#83 of 161 Old 06-18-2005, 05:54 PM

and I don't think the BS are necessarily *heavily* religious as you might think. (Or you can make it not that way if you prefer) My neighbor is pagan, and both her boys are scouts. She says it has never been an issue.

Jessica-
#84 of 161 Old 06-18-2005, 10:32 PM
A&A

Quote:
and I don't think the BS are necessarily *heavily* religious as you might think. (Or you can make it not that way if you prefer) My neighbor is pagan, and both her boys are scouts. She says it has never been an issue.

I think it depends on what state/area you live in. There's just no way to make Boy Scouts non-religious in Utah.

#85 of 161 Old 06-18-2005, 10:41 PM

Quote:
oh! I see what you mean now. I am sorry I was not more clear.

what I meant was that we teach our children to be abstinent....so anything to do with planned parenthood goes against our teachings (whether it be abortion or having brith control.) does that make sense?

there are tons of reports from the news online about the gs and pp link. that just happened to be the first one I pulled up and I was in a hurry to post.
Yes, I understand what you mean now.

Can't agree, but understand

#86 of 161 Old 06-18-2005, 11:33 PM

Um, no. I would like to think that if a DC of mine chose to do BSoA I'd be cool, but, no. But I really can't imagine an informed child 'o mine wanting to join.

Yeah, there's the whole homosexuality ban. That's just the icing for me.

Can we say cultural appropriation, exoticification, and historicalizing Native Peoples? Indian guide??? I would get into details, but feel free to Google. My culture is not here for BSoA to use a jumping board for tacky crafts with popscicle sticks nor are Native people, the People of Yesterday.

I can't even imagine sending my DC off into a group that would probably ask to pet him and teach them all our 'spiritual seekrits.' :Puke
#87 of 161 Old 06-19-2005, 03:10 PM
A&A

And I keep reading about boy scouts getting lost:

http://www.sltrib.com/ci_2811400

So sad. My heart aches for this mother.

#88 of 161 Old 06-19-2005, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen

I would allow my son to make his own decision about whether or not he wants to participate but I would make certain he is fully aware of thir policies, and let him know he may not be welcome.

#89 of 161 Old 06-19-2005, 10:36 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
My girls have been in GS for 2 years and there has never been anything like this at all. GS have a special premission form for meeting/field trips on sensitive topics that has room for the outline of the meeting.

They do radical things like paint t-shirts, go on nature hikes, and sing really silly songs.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#90 of 161 Old 06-19-2005, 10:38 PM

...we've just come back from a weekend of camping with our local BS pack. My son is 7 and has just finished his first year of being a tiger cub. Although the weekend was a complete culture shock for us (vegan, homeschooling, pacifist, tree-hugging, extended nursing, atheist & Buddhist parents), I think it is important that we stay and that we see more people like ourselves in the BS. I would not have joined if it wasn't for our fantastic den leader whom I consider to be a friend with similar world-views and with whom I hashed out my concerns re the BS's stance on gays and religion in writing before we joined.

For us, it is about balance: our BS den and pack is good wholesome fun and my ds is learning skills he would not learn from us (catch-and-release fishing, wilderness skills, etc.). He is enjoying his time there, wears his uniform proudly, but he is adamant that he won't say "all the God-stuff" - we do insist that he is respectful during times of religious observation (mercifully short so far!).

Warmly,
Michelle

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page