Would you let your ds join the Boy Scouts? - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 161 Old 06-28-2005, 09:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayrn98
Yes I will allow my sons to become Boy Scouts, mainly because of the integrity they have to not change their views no matter what the "world" says they should. They hold to a higher authority and I am all for that. Does that make ME intolerant? No.. I have my beliefs and my right to exercise those beliefs as does anyone else. I am sure I will be flamed, if so, so be it. Just remember, just as your views may not match mine and I am not putting you down for it, I would expect the same courtesy from you.
If your "beliefs" involve discrimination against others, than you don't have the same right to exercise your beliefs as others do. It is not discourtesy to point that out.
#122 of 161 Old 06-28-2005, 10:14 AM

I don't know if others have joined just for this forum, but I am actually not a new member just have not posted in a few months and did not remember the user name I used for mothering.com, I usually post to the breastfeeding forums because I am a LLL leader of over 10 years. I checked and The UU is not listed on the religious emblems site. I am not sure why. They are listed on the the Religious Emblems Programs Poster that I have. I posted because I saw the link on the Mothering e-letter I receive and have received for quite a while.
#123 of 161 Old 06-28-2005, 10:45 AM

I would not allow my child to join the boy scouts because of the reasons already listed. I was raised by two gay men (I'm 32)--my father and his partner, who he's been with for more than 20 years after my mother died. I would definitely explain why he would not be able to join: "Would he really want to be part of an organization that discriminates against his grandpas??"
#124 of 161 Old 06-28-2005, 12:40 PM

From the UUA's website:
http://www.uua.org/news/scouts/
#125 of 161 Old 06-28-2005, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbeth
From the UUA's website:
http://www.uua.org/news/scouts/
Yet another reason I won't let my boys join (not that I needed another! :LOL ) We are a proud UU family. Isn't it a shame that the boy scouts will be losing out on all these great kids? Oh well - their loss!

Great for nature studies! http://www.pleinairkids.com
Plein Air Kids - Handmade wooden art boxes for Budding Artists.
#126 of 161 Old 06-28-2005, 01:24 PM

I know that they have lost many United Church of Christ families for the same reasons though at this time there is a UCC badge for religion availble for cub scouts to earn.
#127 of 161 Old 06-28-2005, 02:26 PM

While I don't agree with certain "lifestyles" and I am sorry, I will NEVER agree with them, I understand that they exist, and have a right to their beliefs/lifestyles. I belong to a Conservative Religious Organization (as I believe it was called) but that is MY lifestyle, why am I a bad person because my views don't agree with yours? Why is it that me saying I am Christian make me a "troll". I do love my neighbor. I would help anyone with anything I could, regardless of their lifestyle, etc. After all Jesus always loved the sinner, but didn't love the sin. I prescribe to that. As far as the boyscouts go, I have a son that will be entering Cubscouts this coming school year. I don't intend to tell him..."Now honey, the reason you are here is because gays aren't allowed". I am planning on telling him, "have a good time honey, enjoy the campouts, the crafts, knot tying, and the patriotism that boy scouts teaches." I was a girlscout. From Brownies (before Daisy's existed) through to adulthood. I never thought about the political stuff, as I was too busy camping and learning. I am very grateful to the experience. I intend to become a leader for my new daughter as soon as she is old enough. I don't really agree with the planned parenthood thing (there I go again with my conservative views, I am prolife) but I would not use that to withhold a a valuable experience from my daughter. Our children have to learn to deal with the world no matter where they go, we cannot protect them from everything. They can make up their own minds what is right for them, hence free agency to choose. I can only instill in them the values I believe, what they take from them is up to them.

Other than this, I suspect I am just like you mommies. I am involved with LLL (have been for 6 yrs and looking forward to conference!!!) I practice attachment parenting and the family bed. (which is difficult when you have a child that is a thimerasal child with bipolar and other horrible issues). I love each of you mommies. I respect your views and I respect your idealism. When I posted last night, I was in a hurry and after reading my post over, realize that it was rather defensive. I apologize for that. My only regret to you mommies and I confess it now, is that all my 3 boys are circ'd...of course I was misinformed, and would never choose it now. Well my youngest son was hypospadius so was born with a "natural" circumcision, that took 2 surgeries to correct.

Please forgive me for sounding less than I truly am. I hope to get to know you all and your various outlooks.

Renee-who also is a lactivist

:2toddler:
#128 of 161 Old 06-28-2005, 03:22 PM

My 9 year old son is in Boy Scouts. He loves it, but as of now nothing of the negative things about gay or religion have came up.

I teach my kids to love and accept anyone. He is going to have to go out in the world and deal with prejuicide and negativity anyways, and I truly believe that what I teach him will remain in his mind and heart much longer then anything that they say to him.

We are a Wiccan family, and whenever the word God is mentioned he raises his and and tells his SM that there are many Gods and Goddesses in the universe. The SM just nods his head and says "Yes there are many faiths and beliefs out there."

If I ever feel that there is a problem then I will remove him from the program.

Christina:~Student mama to Collyn(13), Haylea-Ann (9):, and Natalie (8) , and SO to Jeff.
#129 of 161 Old 06-28-2005, 04:58 PM

Anyway back on subject. The GS allow parents to decide whether or not to have the Planned Parenthood stuff. BS decide for you that gays and atheists are not allowed. GS are open to everyone (except boys under 18) while BS are not. BS are exclusionary and bigoted.

I am fortunate that our Pack ignores National and does what it wants.
#130 of 161 Old 06-28-2005, 05:40 PM

I don't know that I would.. I wouldn't encourage it definately.. Since their mommy likes both girls and boys that could get sticky for them..

Being queer isn't a "lifestyle" You don't have a "gay " lifestyle.. well unless you're just a really HAPPY person.. Anymore than you have a redheaded lifestyle.. Or.. a green eyed lifestyle..

Or even a heterosexual lifestyle.. It's simply who and what you are.. And there are MANY families on this board who are not..

Warm Squishy Feelings..
Dyan

It's lonely being the only XX in a house of XYs.
#131 of 161 Old 06-28-2005, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredX2
If I am confused about the meaning of your comment (which is likely to say the least) please correct me.
I misinterpreted your post to mean that parents who didn't let their sons join BS were intolerant. It's clear that some of the other posters think it's cool to join an organization that openly practices discrimination because they feel it benefits them/ their sons; sorry I quoted you inappropriately!
#132 of 161 Old 06-28-2005, 09:40 PM

Quote:
I would help anyone with anything I could, regardless of their lifestyle
Except to gain equal rights under the law?
#133 of 161 Old 06-29-2005, 04:27 AM

#134 of 161 Old 06-29-2005, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caloli
Thanks, Cielle, for posting that info for me - I've done some looking around, and came back to post what I'd found, only to see that somebody else had already summed it up:

It seems to be only the Boy Scouts of America who are doing it. The Scouts group we go to has very little in common with the Scouts in America (thank goodness, from the sounds of it). I don't think I'd let my sons be involved in American Boy Scouts if we ever moved to the USA.

It really is sad because the Scouts could be such a great organization as it is in parts of the world.
#135 of 161 Old 06-29-2005, 09:55 AM

No, wouldn't let them join.
I would let them join a camping group that didn't discriminate against homosexuals and atheists and non-christians. As long as it didn't do any "we're a cute little tribe" cultural appropriation crap.
Kaly
#136 of 161 Old 06-29-2005, 09:57 AM

Oh, and I wouldn't let them join a white supremacist group either. I'm sure they'd get a great feeling of belonging and of teamwork, but it just isn't worth it to me.
#137 of 161 Old 06-29-2005, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipperump-a-zoomum
Oh, and I wouldn't let them join a white supremacist group either. I'm sure they'd get a great feeling of belonging and of teamwork, but it just isn't worth it to me.
They ALSO haven't changed their views despite what the "world" tells them they should. And ya know the funny thing is I still don't respect them? I'm silly like that.

Great for nature studies! http://www.pleinairkids.com
Plein Air Kids - Handmade wooden art boxes for Budding Artists.
#138 of 161 Old 06-29-2005, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srain

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredX2
If I am confused about the meaning of your comment (which is likely to say the least) please correct me.

I misinterpreted your post to mean that parents who didn't let their sons join BS were intolerant. It's clear that some of the other posters think it's cool to join an organization that openly practices discrimination because they feel it benefits them/ their sons; sorry I quoted you inappropriately!
Not a problem. I just didn't want anyone to inadvertantly think that I actually was supporting the BS.

Thanks for the clarification, sorry I wasn't clear earlier

#139 of 161 Old 06-30-2005, 01:15 PM

I haven't read all the pp but I thought I would chime in. When I was little I was in Camp Fire for a few months. I thought that I would be out adventuring and camping like it said in the brocure. Not in the least. We did lots of stupid craft projects and sold candy to pay for those stupid craft projects and thats it. I didn't like it at all.

My younger brother got to be a boy scout and he did all kinds of fun things. He went camping several times. He went rafting, rock climbing, snow caving and all kinds of fun things. I was jealous that I couldn't join the boy scouts. They did all kinds of fun things and instilled a sense of community and responsibility in these young men. They did all kinds of charity work too.

I think it's unfortunate that the leaders of this organization, discrimiate against gays and others who do not have the same religious beliefs as they do. The only ones who this hurts are the boys in their organization. Boy scouts get less financial support because of the discriminatory practices of those in charge.

The bottom line is I have no sons. But if and when I do, I will leave the decision to join up to them. If that is something they want to do I will support them.

Heather Mike Married 8/1/99 Mom to Charlotte Aug 04, Nov 06, and Katherine Oct 07
#140 of 161 Old 06-30-2005, 01:48 PM

As the new Camp Fire leader in town, I should mention that the quality of any scouting troop really depends on how its run. The kids should be making the decisions on what they would like to do, and the leader should just facilitate and keep them focused. So if my kids wanna do camping, then we'll do camping!
#141 of 161 Old 07-01-2005, 05:23 PM

thread closed pending moderator review

okay, I'm reopening this thread after having deleted something like two or three pages of inappropriate posts. If you have any questions, please familiarize yourself with the MDC User Agreement.
Quote:
You are expected to avoid the following when you post:
  • Posting in a disrespectful, defamatory, adversarial, baiting, harassing, offensive, insultingly sarcastic or otherwise improper manner, toward a member or other individual, including casting of suspicion upon a person, invasion of privacy, humiliation, demeaning criticism, namecalling, personal attack, or in any way which violates the law.
  • Posting of profane or sexually explicit text. Discussions of a sexual nature should be within the realm of topics inherent to Mothering discussions such as sex after delivery, sex and the family bed, etc.
  • Posting of copyrighted material without permission. Details of copyright guidelines are available in the Rules and Guidelines board.
  • Posting to advertise your product or business. Acceptable advertising on the boards is available and information may be obtained by contacting the administrator.
  • Posting to invite members to other boards for debate purposes or posting about discussions at other boards. This is to maintain and respect the integrity of our own and other communities.
  • Posting to debate or criticize the MDC User Agreement, or to otherwise discuss the moderators, administrators, or their actions. Constructive criticism and questions for purposes of clarification may be sent through the Private Message feature or by email to the moderator or administrator.
  • Posting to discuss the statements or behavior of a member or members on the board, or to criticize another discussion on the boards. Such issues should be directed to the moderator or administrator privately and not made a subject of discussion in a thread.
#142 of 161 Old 07-01-2005, 08:27 PM

No. Never.
Has anyone read about the molestation cases of troop leaders? That freaks me out more than their official position on gays.

I also do not want to support an organization that is so disrespectful to others.
#143 of 161 Old 07-01-2005, 08:32 PM

I will not join or associate with organizations that discriminate in any way. So no, I would not allow my child to join the boy scouts.
#144 of 161 Old 07-02-2005, 12:49 PM

No and it really upsets me because I believe that scouting can do so much for a kid. We've just begun to look into alternatives however.

It's interesting to me, so many of our friends have their boys in scouts yet seem to share the same ideals as we do. I think I'll start asking them why. Not that it will change my mind, I'm so adamantly opposed to the Boy Scouts as an organization, but perhaps I can understand my friends a bit better.
#145 of 161 Old 07-02-2005, 03:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My son just joined tiger cubs because he really, really wanted to. His little buddies are all in it, and the leader is his best friend's daddy, and it's run out of our church, so their was some subtle pressure to join.

I am in a state of disequilibrium about it.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#146 of 161 Old 07-03-2005, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potty Diva
No. Never.
Has anyone read about the molestation cases of troop leaders? That freaks me out more than their official position on gays.

I also do not want to support an organization that is so disrespectful to others.

Yeah and I think the two are tied together. Ya know very few are hiding the fact that they are a child molestar by announcing they are gay. I'd rather have an openly gay man with my child than one who might be hiding something!
#147 of 161 Old 07-03-2005, 11:24 PM

No. Based on their stance regarding Atheists (which we are) and homosexuality I would NEVER allow my children to be a part of their orginization. We frown upon bigotry, we don't condone it because we might like to camp or what have you.

Amy: Certified Professional Midwife and mom to Max (11) and Stella (6).
#148 of 161 Old 07-05-2005, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarAndSun
Would you let your ds join the Boy Scouts? Why or why not?
I have only read the OP. Absolutely not. Why not? Because the Boy Scouts are anti-gay.

Namaste!
#149 of 161 Old 07-05-2005, 11:10 AM

nope.
#150 of 161 Old 07-05-2005, 11:29 AM

No. I do not agree with their position on issues important to me.

Kathy-Mom to Blake & Mikaela

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page