Would you let your ds join the Boy Scouts? - Page 6 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#151 of 161 Old 07-08-2005, 12:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by patricefgay
I'm surprised at the high level of antagonism toward the Boy Scouts. They are what they say they are and that is one thing I like about them. They are a group set up to honor God and country. I have a 7 year old boy who just finished his first camp experience. It was a really fun week-- there were not enough men there though-- too many women made it more fussy I think. I'm a Christian and not a homosexual hater nor do I hate anyone-- I do not look to the Scouts for anything more than camping, skills and fun. I'm also an Army wife so I probably offend many with my support of the troops. I am also an Army veteran who served 6 years. God Bless~
Ditto all that! I won't say much more about it because I wouldn't want anyone to call me a homophobe or close this thread because of my post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#152 of 161 Old 07-08-2005, 07:29 PM

No, we are athiest so I don't think we'd fit in very well. We will probably try Guides instead, they seem pretty popular around here. Guides are through the YMCA, which is technically Christian, but they seem far less religiously oriented than Boy Scouts. I have occasionally bought things from the Boy Scouts. To not support them at all in this way would feel too much like punishing the little boy who was trying to sell something.
#153 of 161 Old 07-10-2005, 08:25 PM
Banned

I just read through all the posts and have a couple questions:

1. Why even debate the Boy Scouts if there are other, less questionable scouting groups like Spiral Scouts or (someone mentioned) Roots and something (sorry, there were 8 pages of posts!)? I mean, why even have the question? Why not just automatically seek out the organizations that fall in line with your beliefs instead of struggle with the morals of BSA?

2. I couldn't help but wonder if part of the reason the gay issue is not an issue in GS is because gay women aren't seen as molestors the way gay men are. I mean, that is what got it widespread approval, even if the ultimate reason was religious. That is merely conjecture and something I was hoping for some insight on from those of you familiar with GS and more familiar with discrimination against gays. And probably totally OT.

And my two cents is that my sons (and only children) will not support a bigoted institution, I will find other ways to expose my children to camping and knot tying, etc. BS isn't the only place kids can learn things about nature...
#154 of 161 Old 07-13-2005, 08:49 AM

For whatever reason, in general, women seem to have less fears about homosexuality than men do. Prejudice against gay men is greater than against lesbians. People are often less accepting about gay men than they are about lesbians. Sometimes, I think it is because they don't take lesbians seriously. They look at it as a phase or they haven't met the right man yet thing.
#155 of 161 Old 07-13-2005, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjule
1. Why even debate the Boy Scouts if there are other, less questionable scouting groups like Spiral Scouts or (someone mentioned) Roots and something (sorry, there were 8 pages of posts!)? I mean, why even have the question? Why not just automatically seek out the organizations that fall in line with your beliefs instead of struggle with the morals of BSA?

I Love the idea of scouting. I grew up in Girl Scouts. LOVED it. I would love if there were a scouting organization for my future sons too. The problem is that none of those organizations have anything in my area. And BSA is HUGE. Even if they got a start up group, they have no camps, no big gatherings, etc.

just my $.02

-Angela
#156 of 161 Old 07-14-2005, 12:19 AM

No.
#157 of 161 Old 07-19-2005, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhonwyn
For whatever reason, in general, women seem to have less fears about homosexuality than men do. Prejudice against gay men is greater than against lesbians. People are often less accepting about gay men than they are about lesbians. Sometimes, I think it is because they don't take lesbians seriously. They look at it as a phase or they haven't met the right man yet thing.
Well, it's the patriarchy, Rhon. Men need to be (seen as) strong and dominate other men. Homosexuality is seen as a form of weakness.

This attitude, however, is lessening as the patriarchy gradually weakens these days. The lines are less clear cut, aren't they?
#158 of 161 Old 07-19-2005, 02:25 PM

My ds is too young for boy scouts, but we've already decided against it... unless they change their stance on gays... and if they would be cool with an agnostic family joining

It's kind of a bummer, dh and I were both in scouting, it is too bad we can't share this piece of our childhood with ds.
#159 of 161 Old 07-21-2005, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaryLLL
Well, it's the patriarchy, Rhon. Men need to be (seen as) strong and dominate other men. Homosexuality is seen as a form of weakness.

This attitude, however, is lessening as the patriarchy gradually weakens these days. The lines are less clear cut, aren't they?

I agree Daryl and I believe that this is a hopeful thing for Boy Scouts. Scouts has so many wonderful aspects but I don't believe that the bad stuff will change unless their is change also coming from inside the organization. As more and more boys grow up accepting gays, I think there eventually will be a change at BSA.
#160 of 161 Old 07-21-2005, 09:41 AM

She's a glass half full kinda gal! Rhon.
#161 of 161 Old 07-21-2005, 11:01 PM

I was a girl scout for years and have very fond memories - camping, volunteering, learning about government, fun trips, we even toured a women's prison. All of these experiences i felt were a huge influence on turning me into the raging liberal I am today I know it couldn't have been my mainstream, conservative parents or the 9 years of catholic school.
Now I am the mom of 2 boys and would NEVER sign them up for the boy scouts cause of all the reasons listed by the other responses. I had an idea a couple of years ago that I would start the "Earth Scouts" all based on the good stuff in the boy and girl scouts without the "bad". When I googled the name it was already taken by people doing the exact same idea I had only they were much further ahead and are really doing it. They are basing it on the earth charter and the cirriculum I have seen is absolutely wonderful. I do not have the website available to me since I am not at home but you can google "Earth Scouts" and get in touch with these amazing women putting it together. They are at the point that you can start your own group and give them feedback and ideas. I will be doing it myself this fall with my 4.5 and 6.5 year old - We can't wait.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page