Would you let your ds join the Boy Scouts? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 161 Old 06-13-2005, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Would you let your ds join the Boy Scouts? Why or why not? This has been an ongoing battle between dh and me. (Though ds is only 7 months :LOL ) So, I'm just looking for some input. Thanks.
#2 of 161 Old 06-14-2005, 11:03 AM

No. I am opposed to their stance on gay people, so I could not support them in any way.
#3 of 161 Old 06-14-2005, 11:06 AM

:
Plus the religion part - too much exclusion all around.
#4 of 161 Old 06-14-2005, 11:09 AM

See above and above.

#5 of 161 Old 06-14-2005, 11:20 AM

: to all the above.
#6 of 161 Old 06-14-2005, 11:20 AM

I have a 13 yo and a 8 yo they are bolth in scouts. I like the responsibility and skills it teaches. Plus an Eagle Scout is a great thing to have on resumes etc. My 13 yo has learned so much from scouts and has some good friends in his troop. My 8 yo just started and cant wait for the next week. My 4 yo wants to go to scouts so bad he's obsessed.

FWIW Michelle :
#7 of 161 Old 06-14-2005, 11:45 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
We tried it with our son. Mostly because of the pine derby car races. After this year we are done with it. Same things everyone else mentioned. Also, because it is Dad-run, it can get chaotic. Not like the orderly and more quiet Girl Scouts at all. No offense to dads but they seem to have a high tolerance for running around, loud noise and boys doing inappropriate things.
#8 of 161 Old 06-14-2005, 12:22 PM

Sadly, no, I would not allow any sons of mine to participate in such a prejudiced group as the boy scouts. Which is really a shame as I believe strongly in all the good that can come from scouting

-Angela
#9 of 161 Old 06-14-2005, 12:41 PM

The BS are too intolerant for my taste so we're looking into Spiral Scouts as an alternative.
#10 of 161 Old 06-14-2005, 12:47 PM

I absolutely will not allow them to be in Boy Scouts because of their stance on homosexuals. There are plenty of other activities and groups that do not clash with my beleifs that would allow the same sort of growth and interaction, without the prejudice.

Mom to 10yo Autistic Wonder Boy and 6yo Inquisitive Fireball Girl . December birthdays.

#11 of 161 Old 06-14-2005, 02:37 PM

No, because of their stance on non-god believing people and gays.

(my husband is an athiest)
#12 of 161 Old 06-14-2005, 02:48 PM

My DH is an eagle scout : . So I think I would have a hard time convincing him not to, though I do not agree with their stand against homosexuals. But then again there is seldom any organzied even/activity I agree 100% on :LOL . A lot of it depends on if the DS expressed a strong desire to join or not. I would find it hard to explain that he couldn't join because of one thing his mom and dad don't like in the overall scheme of things. At the age when they join most kids do not realize the Boy Scouts view towards things.
#13 of 161 Old 06-14-2005, 02:55 PM

Well, I don't have a child old enough to scout and the one I do have is a girl, but here are my thoughts as of now.

I would allow my son to make his own decision about whether or not he wants to participate but I would make certain he is fully aware of thir policies, and let him know he may not be welcome. I am an atheist and I raise my children that way until they decide otherwise. I would let him know my feelings about the Boy Scouts' antigay policies and hope he makes the decision that this is not an orginization he wishes to be a part of. If not, it is ultimately his choice and he is free to stop participating at any point. If it turns out he just wants to go camping and learn knots and survival skills we can work on that as a family and find other organizations more in line with our own beleifs.

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

#14 of 161 Old 06-14-2005, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen
I would allow my son to make his own decision about whether or not he wants to participate but I would make certain he is fully aware of thir policies, and let him know he may not be welcome.... it is ultimately his choice and he is free to stop participating at any point.
That's my plan, too, if it comes up. I also don't like sex-segregated activities, so I'm not a huge Girl Scout fan for that reason. We plan to start a Roots and Shoots chapter soon, and if that takes off maybe it will fulfill whatever it is my kids would be looking for from the Scouts.
#15 of 161 Old 06-14-2005, 03:52 PM

I would explain to him that they are mean to people who aren't just like them and won't let them join and tell him its his choice but I wouldn't want to be part of a group that isn't fair...

Jen read.gif Mama of 2 precious boys blowkiss.gif (9)  flowersforyou.gif (6)  and still in heartbeat.gif with my Matt hat.gif after 12 years together. 

rainbow1284.gif Domestic Violence Children's Advocate and Counselor hug2.gif

homebirth.jpg bf.jpg nocirc.gif ribbonjigsaw.gif 

#16 of 161 Old 06-14-2005, 03:59 PM

Yes, my son will be a Boy Scout as soon as he is old enough. Dh will also work with his troup. Interesting, one of my best friends was raised an atheist and he is an Eagle Scout. He said he never had an issue with the religious aspect of scouting. He says the Boy Scout experience was incredible for him!
#17 of 161 Old 06-14-2005, 04:00 PM

We are atheists so it's highly unlikely my ds would want to join after he found out they don't like gays and non-monotheists. He has a strong sense of justice. However, the decision would be up to him.
#18 of 161 Old 06-14-2005, 04:02 PM

what do people think of the sea scouts? when i was a kid i had a few friends who where sea scouts, and my partner was a sea scout, i think they are more open minded about stuff, but from what i have read it is for older kids, starting at 12 or 13 or something

i was a brownie scout and i hated it, i wanted to be camping and learning about plants and wilderness and instead there was craft projects and artsy stuff, and while i loved art i hated having to do pre planned art where i didn't get to be creative, gluing things on pine cones to make them look like christmas trees was really borring to me, and the one camping trip we went on the scout leaders daught for crysalises and killed all the butterflies inside, and beingthe sensetive kid i was, it was just horble

mama to two amazing children son 10/27/07 and daughter 07/07/11

#19 of 161 Old 06-14-2005, 04:10 PM

My Ds wanted to do some Boy Scouting stuff back when he was about 7/8 yrs old. We found that we (and Ds found too) didn't care for it. It was very chaotic (and chaos is fine, but nothing cooperative of fun was happening because of it) and few of the boys really did get involved in our projects. We had a family history project and my son and another boy were the only ones who did anything for it. There was also alot of bullying. It just didn't feel good.

We went because my son wanted to try it out, and we try to support their interests. It's not something I would have ever chosen for him though (for reasons other posters have mentioned). I know that every troop is probably differnet but it left a bad taste in our mouths for the scouting thing. There are Spiral Scouts and such though.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#20 of 161 Old 06-14-2005, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonfroggy
the one camping trip we went on the scout leaders daught for crysalises and killed all the butterflies inside, and beingthe sensetive kid i was, it was just horble
Oh wow, that is horrible.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#21 of 161 Old 06-14-2005, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wemberly
The BS are too intolerant for my taste so we're looking into Spiral Scouts as an alternative.

That sounds so cool, What are the Spiral Scouts?

Whatever will be, already is...

#22 of 161 Old 06-14-2005, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelovedK
That sounds so cool, What are the Spiral Scouts?
http://www.spiralscouts.org/metadot/index.pl

Quote:
SpiralScouts™ International is a program for girls and boys of minority faiths working, growing and learning together. Making its public debut in February of 2001, SpiralScouts™ International has grown into an expanded program available to anyone world wide. We now serve youth in 20 US States, Canada and Europe.

#23 of 161 Old 06-14-2005, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen
I would allow my son to make his own decision about whether or not he wants to participate but I would make certain he is fully aware of thir policies, and let him know he may not be welcome.

Ditto.

Single Mom to 3 (12, 17 & 21)  luxlove.gif and dog2.gif.

#24 of 161 Old 06-14-2005, 10:13 PM

I've just talked with the local Camp Fire office person today, and will meet with her on monday. There are no local preschooler groups in my area, so there's a good chance I might be starting one up - eep! Apparently they've just recently written up a preschooler curriculum, or they said I could start with the kindergarten one.

My point is, Camp Fire is co-ed, non-discriminatory, and secular. That's why I was looking into it.
#25 of 161 Old 06-15-2005, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheFence
No, because of their stance on non-god believing people and gays.
Ditto here.

Homesteading Mama to homeschoolin' kiddos London (10) ; Alexander (8) :; Holden (5) :; and Sergei born at home 8/18/08
#26 of 161 Old 06-16-2005, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wemberly
: Now that my older son is 3, I have to start looking into the requirements for being a spiral scout leader. Thanks for the reminder.

Amy
#27 of 161 Old 06-16-2005, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srain
That's my plan, too, if it comes up. I also don't like sex-segregated activities, so I'm not a huge Girl Scout fan for that reason. We plan to start a Roots and Shoots chapter soon, and if that takes off maybe it will fulfill whatever it is my kids would be looking for from the Scouts.

what is roots and shoots?
#28 of 161 Old 06-16-2005, 06:44 AM

Another vote for no - due to the opposition of gays, their religious stance, and unorganization.

Happy mama of four Wild Things
"And now," cried Max "let the wild rumpus begin!"
#29 of 161 Old 06-16-2005, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSuz
Yes, my son will be a Boy Scout as soon as he is old enough. Dh will also work with his troup. Interesting, one of my best friends was raised an atheist and he is an Eagle Scout. He said he never had an issue with the religious aspect of scouting. He says the Boy Scout experience was incredible for him!
Yes, but sadly things have changed.

My DH was an Eagle Scout too, and an atheist. He was able to get away with not saying the pledge, where you have to say you believe in God.

NOW, you can't do that. My nephew tried and they said that today they are very careful about making sure each child is willing to pledge a belief in God.

So, I only have dd's, but if I had a son. NO. I could not let him join.
#30 of 161 Old 06-16-2005, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maya44
Yes, but sadly things have changed.

My DH was an Eagle Scout too, and an atheist. He was able to get away with not saying the pledge, where you have to say you believe in God.

NOW, you can't do that. My nephew tried and they said that today they are very careful about making sure each child is willing to pledge a belief in God.

So, I only have dd's, but if I had a son. NO. I could not let him join.

Maya is correct. The Boy Scouts have become more religious and less tolerant over the years. My Dad has been in Scouting for 50 some years. As an atheist or a gay person, it is very hard to not be outed and kicked out now. That being said, it does depend on where you are in the US.

Here in Seattle, we have found a nice Cub Scout troop that is connected to a school that is pretty much a don't ask, don't tell, don't care Cub Pack. There are boys of many faiths and many parents who leave out the 'under God' in the Pledge. No one cares. The Pack is there for the boys to learn, grow and have fun. We have as little as possible to do with national scouts.

When my son moves up to Boy Scouts (if he moves up), then it will be whole another ball of wax and we will have to re-look at the situation.

My recommendation if your boy is interested is check out a Cub Scout Pack that is connected to a school rather than a church. Take it one year at a time. It is really too bad that national Boy Scouts have become so exclusionary. The program can be really good for boys and being an Eagle Scout does have a lot of weight on a resume.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page