I love Dumbo - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-20-2005, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dumbo Is cool. And My Son is SOOOO Smart. In the opening scenes when the storks are dropping off the babies he says. "that's not how babies are born" :LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2005, 03:40 PM

what a smart cookie..
Old 06-20-2005, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopnwhitsmommy
Dumbo Is cool. And My Son is SOOOO Smart. In the opening scenes when the storks are dropping off the babies he says. "that's not how babies are born" :LOL
:LOL how cute! DD LOVES Dumbo, it's the movie of choice this week!
Old 06-20-2005, 08:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I love Dumbo too. It was one of my favorites growing up and ds loves it too. Though I have to say, the first time I watched it as a grown up the drunk scene made me
Old 06-20-2005, 10:46 PM

Lisa me too!! We actually fast forward through the psychedelic elephants...they give me the heebeejeebees....
Old 06-20-2005, 10:50 PM

That movie never fails to make me cry........everytime I watch the scene where the mouse brings Dumbo to visit his mother................ and that song plays "Baby of mine.....Oh, baby of mine......" i can't help it, my eyes fill with tears......and when she reaches her trunk out of the cage to hold him and rock him.......

I can't even talk about it, I start crying. I feel my eyes filling up right now......
Old 06-20-2005, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenkids
That movie never fails to make me cry........everytime I watch the scene where the mouse brings Dumbo to visit his mother................ and that song plays "Baby of mine.....Oh, baby of mine......" i can't help it, my eyes fill with tears......and when she reaches her trunk out of the cage to hold him and rock him.......

I can't even talk about it, I start crying. I feel my eyes filling up right now......

Me too!! I just can't take it. I have trouble with the Fox and the Hound too....

Jennifer
Old 06-20-2005, 10:58 PM

I was at the birth center doing prenatals, and they had Dumbo on the vcr for the kids in the playroom. I walked by to get some water and The Scene was on. I just sat there and sobbed until they found me.
Old 06-21-2005, 12:40 AM

Yeah, Dumbo's so cute. Those black crows -- adorable! And the sweet little faceless black laborers. So funny the way they sing about getting their pay and then spending it away And those alcoholic clowns and the animal cruelty, they just keep me gigglin' every time I see it :LOL
Old 06-21-2005, 01:07 AM - Thread Starter

ahhh yes. I never realized the amount of racisim in it when I was a child. I just paid attention to the story line. Ya know Misfit kid goes big time.
Old 06-21-2005, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlndocs
Yeah, Dumbo's so cute. Those black crows -- adorable! And the sweet little faceless black laborers. So funny the way they sing about getting their pay and then spending it away And those alcoholic clowns and the animal cruelty, they just keep me gigglin' every time I see it :LOL

Yeah...Disney isn't known for PC.

I wish they would make versions of Dumbo where it would skip over that or a version of Peter Pan where it skipped over the NA bit.

Or Pocahontas where you could skip the whole thing.

Not all those who wander are lost 
Old 06-21-2005, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopnwhitsmommy
ahhh yes. I never realized the amount of racisim in it when I was a child. I just paid attention to the story line. Ya know Misfit kid goes big time.

Dumbo is very racist and I think kids get subtle messages (and NOT so subtle) all the time. I feel terribly sorry for Dumbo and his mother. That sad scene is terrible and my dd saw a part of it at a friends when she was around 4 and started bawling. It was terrible. Now, she writes letters to Disney telling them how awful their movies are

~Joan, Happy mom to 2 beautiful kiddos, one new puppy and 2 lovely felines
Old 06-21-2005, 01:21 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom4tot
Dumbo is very racist and I think kids get subtle messages (and NOT so subtle) all the time. I feel terribly sorry for Dumbo and his mother. That sad scene is terrible and my dd saw a part of it at a friends when she was around 4 and started bawling. It was terrible. Now, she writes letters to Disney telling them how awful their movies are
Your kid sounds pretty cool.
Old 06-21-2005, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom4tot
Dumbo is very racist and I think kids get subtle messages (and NOT so subtle) all the time.
Exactly! Kids are designed to absorb subtle messages. You can argue, like my FIL, that you "never noticed that stuff" as a kid, but that's exactly the point. Little kids don't notice it, they simply absorb it, and since little kids are not in a position to analyze the different era and cultural norms that these messages come from, they internalize them as part of what is normal in their world.

Those internalized messages stay there unless and until they root it out as adults, and they are a huge part of why we still have so much racism, sexism and homophobia in our culture.

Yuck yuck yuck.
Old 06-21-2005, 02:13 AM - Thread Starter

Honestly I never noticed the workers at all watching it as a kid. I was a little suprised when I watched it with ds...what the..I never knew there were people in that scene
Old 06-21-2005, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abimommy
Yeah...Disney isn't known for PC.
That's an understatement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abimommy
Or Pocahontas where you could skip the whole thing.
ditto.

We don't do Disney in our house.
Old 06-21-2005, 02:24 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Am I the only one here who hasn't seen the Dumbo movie?

I read some Dumbo books as a child, and I remember the big ears and him flying, but that's about it!

Well, you know what they say about guys with big ears :LOL

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
Old 06-21-2005, 02:26 AM

You didn't notice it, coop, but I guarantee you you absorbed it.
Old 06-21-2005, 02:31 AM - Thread Starter

well it certainly didn't make me racist :LOL
Old 06-21-2005, 03:14 AM

Not that you're aware of, no. That's the point.

Notice you say this after admitting you realize the movie is racist now, but you're still OK with showing it to little kids.

Reminds me of people who say, "I was spanked and it never did me any harm" and then haul off and whack their kids on the butt.

Thanks for perpetuating the stereotypes to another generation
Old 06-21-2005, 03:28 AM - Thread Starter

Hmmm Good Point. Teaching Opportunity...There is always at least one a day...most days hundreds if we take the time. So Tomorrows lesson will be about how some people don't treat others very nicly because they are different from themselves.
Old 06-21-2005, 01:49 PM

Wow. I haven't seen Dumbo in years. NOw I have no interest to see it.

But why if you know it is a bad thing are you exposing your children? SO when they are adults they can expose it to their children?

Yeah, you can say, not everyone is nice to ppl who are different but the fact that it is in a cartoon we can still watch it.

Even if it didn't make you a racist (and I am NOT saying it did) it has helped you tolerate it.

Single Mom to 2 amazing little men. T(7) and B(5)
Old 06-21-2005, 02:33 PM

CWM, if it would help to look at it more as an exercise in critical thinking than anything else, let me share my story:

I bought Dumbo on VHS years ago (before kids!) when I saw it was out. I was excited as I remembered having seen it as a child and hadn't seen it in a long time. I remembered Dumbo flying through the circus tent and little scenes here and there. I was, quite frankly, somewhat disappointed after I looked at it through my "adult critical lens vision." The roustabouts, the violent separation of Dumbo and his mother, the alcoholic clowns, the jive-talking crows. What a disappointment; this was not the movie I remembered!

My kids did watch it once or twice when they were toddlers, but I noticed that DS1 was greatly disturbed by the scenes with Dumbo's mother and the chains. And of course, *I* was greatly disturbed by the scene spoken of above, when Dumbo is taken to visit her and the lullaby. I made the decision to put it away. I don't care if I liked it when a child, it disturbs me now, and so I've put it away until they are older. I didn't throw it away because if they see it at a friend's or have questions about it, I want to be able to answer them and show it to them if need be to clear it up. The rousty-roundabouts and stereotypic crows are merely the icing on the cake for me there.

If it were like Bambi, where the disturbing part is there, and then over, it might pass my radar, but sadly, I found there was just too much to explain and worry that they were getting desensitized to with repeated watching. Pity, because both DS are train fanatics and they loved that train part at the beginning. But we found other train movies to satisfy that love.

I'm not calling you bad for watching it, I'm just saying one needs to realize that there are valid concerns with it. Heck, there are valid concerns about nearly everything that's on TV; it's a matter of weighing in on the amounts and types of exposure we allow for our children. I have similar concerns about many newer movies; the stereotypes are there, though they are different. To me, the key is to try to view everything through that critical lens; if it passes that test, then I can feel good about experiencing that part of childhood again through *their* eyes.
Old 06-21-2005, 04:06 PM

My kids liked Dumbo as little ones too But I haven't seen it in ages. I remember Dumbo is really cute though!

Some of us don't have big issues with Disney movies ya know? Back to perpetuating stereotypes for me I guess :

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
Old 06-21-2005, 04:42 PM

CWM, that's good that your son doesn't think that babies drop from the sky. Wouldn't it be wonderful if all children knew the truth about birthing (and conception for that matter) so that there wouldn't be so much to unlearn later?

Off your topic: Dumbo was very scary and upsetting to me when I was young. I just felt so bad for him and his mama And the elephants on parade song was annoying to me. My mother loved the movie, and after being forced to watch it many times, it grew on me- or I grew numb to it. I didn't even know about the racist subtext (or not so sub) until much later. But I won't be showing that movie to my son.

Abimommy :LOL
Old 06-21-2005, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnschoolnMa
Some of us don't have big issues with Disney movies ya know? Back to perpetuating stereotypes for me I guess :
I don't either. But if I realize something is like this I'm not going to let my kids stick with it.

Single Mom to 2 amazing little men. T(7) and B(5)
Old 06-21-2005, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Back to perpetuating stereotypes for me I guess :
Gosh, this just doesn't seem like a whistl-ish type of statement to me. Maybe :, , , , , , :Puke, or would be more appropriate?
Old 06-21-2005, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflyma
Gosh, this just doesn't seem like a whistl-ish type of statement to me. Maybe :, , , , , , :Puke, or would be more appropriate?
Oh my whistle face was done in a tongue-in-cheek, sarcasm kinda way. (We need a tongue in cheek smiley lol) But a wink or roll eyes face could have worked too.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
Old 06-21-2005, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Oh my whistle face was done in a tongue-in-cheek, sarcasm kinda way. (We need a tongue in cheek smiley lol) But a wink or roll eyes face could have worked too.
I understood, but disagree with the tongue in cheek-ness of this statement. :agreetodisagreesmilie:
Old 06-21-2005, 06:24 PM

Quote:
My kids liked Dumbo as little ones too But I haven't seen it in ages. I remember Dumbo is really cute though!

Well, ya know, we own most of the Disney movies. Not really a problem for us, either - most of the time. The problem comes with not at least acknowledging that these stereotypes exist. And with Dumbo, they are certainly more visible than they are with some of the other films. That's one of the points I was trying to make.

And it's not just Disney, either, nor is it the old movies. The new ones have their problems, too. I have some major problems with "Shark Tale," for example; not enough to ban the watching of it, but enough to make me not that fond of it, either.

User Tag List