New here, I have a soon to be 4 yr old, interested in diet change - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-02-2002, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi there,
I am new here and don't know if I am posting to the correct forum, so if I am not maybe you can direct me. I have a healthy, ACTIVE 3yr old soon to be 4. He is not ADD or ADHD, just high energy. We unfortunatley eat an American diet of not the healthiest foods. I had good intentions when he was born but soon caved to the pressure.
Anyway, I was wondering if anyone can help me with his diet. I have heard but not read any information on special diets for children with ADHD and ADD but in the vast sea of information I am lost. I am trying to get my son back on soy milk. He also has ear trouble and I have heard that cows milk can be the culprit.
As I ramble on here, I hope you all can direct me to some good resources regarding this issue for me. I am sure I will be posting more about my son. He certainly keeps me on my toes.
Jennifer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2002, 01:03 AM

coffeemom~~~
Welcome to the boards at Mothering! LOL~~I am also a "coffeemom". Been drinking way too much of it during the holidays!

Well, you did post in the "right" place due to your childs age! This is a new forum here though and doesn't get alot of action yet!~~~especially with your topic being diet change!
I'm going to leave it here for a few days and see if you get some responses. Then, I'll move it to another forum where more members will see it!

ONe thing i can say is...i'm right there with you! Wow, i need to change what my boys are eating lately too! So i'm excited to read what members suggest to you!

I'll get back with you in a few days to see how things are going with your post!

Good luck!
Old 01-03-2002, 01:44 AM

Welcome, coffeemom!

There can definitely be a connection between diet and overactivity or ADD/ADHD-like symptoms. A really excellent source of information is a book called "Is This Your Child?" by Doris Rapp, M.D. Not only will it help you figure out if your son's activity level might be food-related, it also contains elimination diets to help you determine which food or foods might be the culprit.

The book will tell you everything you need to know, but from what I remember some of the most common offenders are dairy, eggs, wheat, and corn. Anyway, hope this helps. Here is a link to the book on amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/se...151894-2160718

Hope this helps!
Old 01-03-2002, 02:18 AM

If you're interested in vegetarianism or becoming vegan (my specialty) let me give you some resources.

Books:
Becoming Vegan by Brenda Davis
Going Vegan by Linda Blair
Being Vegan by I forget who

www.vegfamily.com (vegan parenting info)
www.veggiebaby.com (veg parenting magazine)

If you have any questions about non-dairy, non-animal product stuff, I'm your gal!

User Tag List