I feel so bad! Did I handle this right? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 3 Old 08-04-2005, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
I have 3 kids- a 4 yr old boy, a 2 yr old girl and a 5 month old girl. We live in a townhouse complex. There is a 7 yr old girl who Trevor and I used to meet on our walks who lives nearby and he would play with her for a while. Now, with summer here, she has been knocking on our door to play. She's very nice but honestly, I think she is a little old to play with Trevor. Her play is a little beyond him (she is very into 7 and Trevor JUST turned 4).

Today she came over and we had just gotten back from playing at another friends all day and the kids were just vegging for a while in front of the TV because they hadn't napped and were very tired. This little girl knocked on the door and when I answered it she just came right in. I knew Trevor was tired and asked if he wanted to play right now. He said he didn't. I explained to the little girl that Trevor and Rachael were tired and that we had been out all day and were just watching TV for a while. Well, she says she'll watch TV with them. Our TV is hardly ever on and is in our bedroom. The kids watch it MAYBE once a week, if at all. Our bedroom is off limits to his friends. I told her this and asked her to maybe come by a little later or tomorrow. She like has a FIT and starts crying right in the middle of our living room. I feel horrible for kicking her out but Trevor really wasn't interested in playing anymore that day. She is yelling that she'll never come over anymore if she can't play now, and when I stand firm on her leaving she yells "DAMMIT" and she's crying all the way out of the house and down the street. I felt bad but not too bad, because I don't feel like Trevor should always want to play with people.

Did I handle it ok? What would y'all have done? I haven't hit that age yet and Trevor is still in playdate mode where the parents come over with their kids and I don't let him go around our neighborhood without me. I'm new to older kids playing with him.

Thanks!

Married, working mom to son (almost 15), DD1 (almost 13) and DD2 (11). Oh, and badnewf, a nonobadbordercollie and 3 black cats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 08-04-2005, 05:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Maybe she is trying to be friends with him because there are no other children around her age. The age difference wouldn't really bother me, but I would supervise how they play, 7 year olds can be a bit bossy. I think youhandled the situation fine. I don't know what I would have done different. I would get her phone number and tell her parents that she needs to call instead of just popping over. And she needs to respect that there are certain times when she can't come. I wouldn't worry too much about it.
#3 of 3 Old 08-04-2005, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Thanks. I am not too concerned about the age except that Trevor doesn't seem to understand the play she does (like house, or school, etc) and she does boss him around a bit.

Right after I typed up the orginal email I heard the doorbell ring again and it was the little girl. She comes dashing into our house asking me to brush all the cobwebs off of her because they are all over her. I brushed her off and asked why she didn't go see her mom when she ran through a scary cobweb. She said her mom was sleeping and told her to come to our house! Her mom doesn't know me, has never met me and didn't even feel it neccessary to talk to me on the phone the first time the girl played at our house (i insisted on her speaking with me before she hung up). I told the girl that her mom didn't know me and I found it hard to believe her mom sent her here so I could brush cobwebs off her and sent her back home. If she knocks again I will tell her to call before coming. Silly me.. why didn't I think of that? heehee

Married, working mom to son (almost 15), DD1 (almost 13) and DD2 (11). Oh, and badnewf, a nonobadbordercollie and 3 black cats.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page