forbidding barbie -- thoughts? - Page 4 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#91 of 94 Old 10-16-2005, 03:45 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For me personally, banning a toy is extreme. Obviously guns and violent ones go without saying. But even then you can't control when your hcildren are not with you.

With that goes teaching. I don't mind barbie, it's a toy and there are great Barbie movies now that mine actually like. My girls are taught it is all fake, barbie is not built right etc...no reality in it. A toy plain and simple. This goes for any type toys I may have issue with.
#92 of 94 Old 10-16-2005, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerthElde
I played with Barbie. I wanted to grow up to look like my mom and aunts. I really don't have a problem with the doll herself.

What I do have a problem with is mass-produced, environmentally harmful, consumerist crap.

When my dd is old enough to specifically ask for a Barbie, if she does, we will find one at a second hand store or a garage sale.
:
I had Barbies growing up and I never thought one way or the other over what her body type was. I am heavyset and came from a long line of heavyset CONFIDENT women. I think we learn our body image more from the females in our lives than a toy, tv, magazines, etc.
#93 of 94 Old 10-17-2005, 08:04 PM

I wouldn't actually forbid because I think that would create allure, but I've so far been successful at keeping Barbie away from our reality. When we visit the thrift store (our only toy shopping place) I always scan the lower shelf and toss any barbies up high and out of sight. Working so far! Also, we have a few homemade hand puppets and dolls, one a princess, and we do a lot of fantasy role play so there's no big need for another doll.
#94 of 94 Old 10-18-2005, 04:59 PM

I can not imagine how my chlidhood would have been without barbie...i would have had to play "camping" with my brothers 500x a day! I was a tomboy when i was young and yes i had barbie too. Of course most of my barbies had some type of limb missing or deformity from doing transformer/barbie battles :LOL But anyway i can't wait to get barbie for my daughter. I bought her one from sal. army but she hasn't played with it much. She's sort of into puzzles (and when outside watching the guys on the motorcycles Yikes!) and other things. I had so many good memories and i can;t wait for her to have them too.

ps...my cousin and i would imagine barbie getting kidnapped by "goonies" or lilltle cavemen and having to escape. She even got to kiss, she'd kiss ken and other barbies..lol see we had diverse imaginations!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page