All cotton nightgowns????? W/O Flame resistant junk?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-21-2005, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am looking for an all cotton nightgown for dd for her BD. I looked at Lands End, Hanna Anderson,and local stores and came up empty.

Anyone know where I can find one? She is size 7-8.

Thankyou!!

mp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2005, 07:14 PM

Hi,
Initially I was going to say ebay...but I also did a yahoo search and came up with site. They are a bit pricey but beautiful!

http://www.oneofakindkid.com/girls-pajamas.html
Old 10-21-2005, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

hopeland-those are soooo cute! Unfortunately, they are treated by flame-resistant junk. As were the ones by Gymboree. I checked Gap, they have a couple cute gowns, but their website is so lame I couldn't get info about the fabric.

Thankyou though!!
Old 10-21-2005, 07:54 PM

You know it might be a law...you might have to get someone to sew some for you? Maybe you could find someone to sew some for you from this site? I know someone who does sewing on ebay if you are interested also. Sometimes "custom" sewing is a bit pricey.
Old 10-21-2005, 08:33 PM

I don't think you CAN buy anything that is all cotton, untreated and labeled sleepwear because I don't think its legal to sell it. Your choices are probably either to make them from a fabric of your choice, pay someone to make them for you, or find a cotton dress that would be comfortable to wear to bed. You might try a search for "loungewear" rather than sleepwear or nightgown -- that's usually the code for "good for sleeping in but not treated." I've only ever looked for PJs though, not a nightgown.
Old 10-21-2005, 08:59 PM

I found all cotton, untreated 'petticoats' which are really old fashioned nightgowns -- lovely white cotton sheeting and lace, at a store I can't remember the name of now -I think the label was Kokopelli? Try googling that. Laura Ashley might have something like them too and I've seen them in other boutique-y catalogs. They are sold to be worn under jumpers but they make great old-fashioned nightgowns.

There is also a catalog called "The Warm Biscuit Company" which sells beautiful 100% cotton untreated 'loungewear' that look an awful lot like they could be pajamas.
Old 10-21-2005, 09:11 PM

if it is marketed and sold as sleepwear for children, it has to either be form fitting or treated with flame retardant chemicals, or both. It's the law. You can wash the chemicals out, or you can purchase used sleepwear instead.
Old 10-21-2005, 10:37 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I sew nightgowns fo rmy girls - I have been using the same pattern for 4 years and lfannelette is pretty inexpensive. It takes about an hour to cut out the pieces and a couple of hours to sew the nightgown.
Old 10-22-2005, 01:31 AM
Banned

I don't understand. It wouldn't make any sense to have flame-retardents that washed out. Is there a special soap or something?
Old 10-22-2005, 01:38 AM

Oh yeah...they have those petticoatson ebay...they are pretty my daughter has one to wear with her dresses...(I know too much bout ebay)
Old 10-22-2005, 03:17 AM

I bought some sleepers for ds2 from the Children's Place and they came with huge yellow tags saying that they are not treated for flame retandance. They are also 100% cotton. You can call to make sure the big kid's aren't treated before you ordered:

http://www.childrensplace.com/webapp...16&clearance=0
Old 10-22-2005, 04:13 AM

salaam

you might have more luck if you go browse in an actual store... i doubt you would find much if you do a search for "pajamas" without the flame retardant stuff. i've had quite a few pjs that were untreated, and they are usually found in the store alongside the other stuff... but they always say something like "100% cotton, not intended for sleepware" etc...
Old 10-22-2005, 04:21 AM

Yes but original post was for gowns...I dont think you will find any "gowns" you would have to have them made or buy something similar but not marketed as gowns.
Old 10-22-2005, 05:45 AM

Just chiming in.
I agree with PP. You can find pajamas that are not flame retardant but they are made small to be "form fitting" (I always buy a size bigger) but a gown just wouldnt be a gown if it was form fitting and snug, so it would have to be treated with flame retardants.
Id find a pattern and make one.
Old 10-23-2005, 09:02 AM

Surprisingly, I just found all cotton PJs at Target! Not organic cotton, but 100% and 2 for 14.99. I washed them to get the chemicals out, with which most store bought clothes, sleepwear or not, are treated.
Good luck!
Old 10-23-2005, 11:57 PM

I don't know about gowns, but I know the Children's Place, Old Navy, and Baby Gap all have non-flame resistant pjs.
Old 10-24-2005, 01:22 AM

I saw this gown, but only in one size, 11-12 years

http://www.rawganique.com/kidsdress2.htm

I might look for a "nightshirt," as in a long shirt or a cotton dress.

Good luck, and let us know what you find. I found one in an antique store, but my Dd only sleeps naked, now.
Old 10-24-2005, 12:37 PM

Garnet Hill has cotton non-flame retardent nighthgowns, they're very pretty and very expensive. I forget how much, but all their stuff is pricey.
Old 10-24-2005, 12:53 PM
Banned

It's a law up here too.

You can't buy or market children's sleep wear if it is NOT flame retardant.

The non treated ones are polyester. The treated ones are cotton. Even form fitting has to be treated up here.

Sure you can sew your own, but if you sell it, you can face some serious fines/jail time.

We have VERY strict product laws up here.

It's a safety thing. seriously call me brainwashed but I do see the safety issue. I've seen a video of how quick an untreated cotton nightgown can catch fire. It's scary. 8 seconds. That's all it takes is 8 seconds.

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/cps-spc/child...etement_e.html

Health Canada's statement on the fact. We have stricter regulations and more testing because we can. so please read it....
Old 10-24-2005, 01:00 PM

OK, please bear with me as I am vague on what precisely it is that is bad about flame retardent? I mean, I know that it's chemical and bad, but what is it exactly that is bad for kids? Cancer causing, irritates skin, bad for them to breathe? Does anyone know what the chemical is?
Old 10-24-2005, 01:01 PM
Banned

Click on the link I provided. It'll give you a rundown about everything in relation to Flame retardants and childrens safety and whatnot.
Old 10-24-2005, 01:03 PM
Banned

http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/H-3/SOR...tml#rid-130535

There. That tells you alot of what the flame retardant that is used up here anyway, goes through before being allowed to be used anywhere near children. I
Old 10-24-2005, 03:01 PM

Flame retardant pajamas seem pretty silly to me these days. Those regulations came into effect when people were using open flames and red hot heat registers in their homes along with 100% polyester night gowns. Children were going up in flames.

Things are different today in most homes. I don't see any reason for a child in my house to have to wear flame retardant fabrics when she isn't around open flames. I would never buy those chemical ridden pajamas, particularly with government regulations that allow so many unsafe chemicals in our food and then lies about its safety.

If you really want your child to wear flame retardant clothing, it would make more sense to do it during the day, like at a campfire or around the oven. A 100% cotton gown isn't going to ignite very easily at home reading a book by your forced air heating system or radiant heat or whatever.
Old 10-24-2005, 03:03 PM
Banned

*cough* Scented Candles anyone?

you do know the reason why the government steps in to regulate things such as Childrens sleepwear and what not.

It's because someone, who DOESNT Have an iota of common sense can keep their kid alive.

There wouldn't be rules like that if someone didn't do it in the first place.

And yes there are people that still do.

When the govt steps in it's to protect the companies from lawsuits brought on by dumb parents who leave their Glade scented candles burning with a toddler/child unsupervised in the same room.
Old 10-24-2005, 03:34 PM

I bought a few "nightgowns" from Under the Nile (organic egyptian cotton). Pricey but she loves them, they're kinda heavy for warmth, and she can even wear them with pants outside as a real dress (lucky for my DH who can'r figure out how to dress the kids in the am!)

Often we wear our cotton daytime dresses (from llbean and whatnot) to bed and wake up and we are ready to go! Is that bad?

I would rather she sleep in daytime dresses than with all those chemicals...

As for flame retardants....I think they might be good for some people who are not constantly near their children...but as it is for us we are close to them at night and I feel that is enough protection from fire. No candles/open flames in our house!
Old 10-24-2005, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandora114
*cough* Scented Candles anyone?

you do know the reason why the government steps in to regulate things such as Childrens sleepwear and what not.

It's because someone, who DOESNT Have an iota of common sense can keep their kid alive.

There wouldn't be rules like that if someone didn't do it in the first place.

And yes there are people that still do.

When the govt steps in it's to protect the companies from lawsuits brought on by dumb parents who leave their Glade scented candles burning with a toddler/child unsupervised in the same room.

While I agree that safety regulations are generally a good thing, the history of this particular regulation isn't so much from lack of common sense on the consumer's part as it was on the manufacturers who started using that awful, highly flammable fabric for sleepwear at exactly the same time that space heaters were in high use.

At first the flame retardants added to PJs had asbestos in it, which was sworn up and down to be safe for us. The chemicals used now are not nearly so bad as asbestos, but organic cotton is better and safer in most homes, using common sense.

Does anyone have a problem with using common sense and going around the regulations, too?

As for scented candles, blech.
Old 10-24-2005, 05:33 PM
Banned

oh no problems going around the regulations and using common sense. But lets face it.

In the majority of society *which MDC doesn't represent unfortunately* the people are short changed when it comes to common sense.
Old 10-24-2005, 05:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I found these nifty patterns the other day - I really like the old-style nightgowns!

https://www.patternsoftime.com/CatalogC5.html

(But UGH try to ignore the vintage patterns for corsets for 8-10 year olds :Puke .)

Mooooom! to  guitar.gifDS (1/05) and whistling.gifDSS (11/05).  TTC fingersx.gifour "ours" after VR on 10/12.  

Old 10-25-2005, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all your replies!
I will not be convinced that those chemicals come out after just a few washings. I would normally buy jams second hand, but this is a gift and I wanted it to be new this time. THanks to all who provided info for someone to make one for her(I don't sew ). To all of you that provided links to darling gowns, they all had the retardant on them. :

I would like to say, as for the companies and govt regulations, I see this very similar to vaxs-get 'em while you can. I mean come on, if they were so concerned about safety, and a gown was washed like 50 times, where is the companies protection? So very silly. The chemical companies are making their $$$ and the stupid govt looks the other way.

Off my

mp
Old 10-25-2005, 06:22 PM

You mean that the link to an organic gown

http://www.rawganique.com/kidsdress2.htm

has retardant on it? Did you write and ask?

User Tag List