Fever not going down... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 10-24-2005, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My ds who is 3.5 has had a fever since yesterday morning, I've given him tylenol and advil (not at same time, 8 hours apart) and they don't seem to be working very well....his fever is hovering around 102 degrees..
He did have a double ear infection 3 weeks ago but took antibiotics for it and seemed better, and has had a cough, weak cough now, worse when he horses around though. Should I be worried?

Mom to Ds1 (8 1/2) Ds2 (6) Dd (2 1/2)!!!!
#2 of 15 Old 10-24-2005, 05:46 PM

I dunno about 'worried' but I might take him back in to get his ears rechecked if the fever is still around tomorrow.
He might have just picked up another bug though. How is his temperment?
#3 of 15 Old 10-24-2005, 06:11 PM

Watch the child not the fever.
A fever is just a sign that something else is wrong, but not any indication of how serious it is. (really serious illnesses sometimes have little to no fever, and harmless viruses can cause really high fevers)
Keep your dc comfortable and call the doc if the fever goes much higher (your level of concern and not the number should be the key. I dont call for temporary fevers of 104 but other moms will and that is ok) or if he develops other symptoms such as serious coughing and listlessness or refusal of liquids.
A child who has a fever of 102, a light cough but is still sitting up and watchign tv and playing with toys (even sedately) is probably no cause for concern.
If she is barely responsive and doesnt want to sit up or is having difficulty breathing probably wouldnt hurt to be seen.
Good luck
Joline
#4 of 15 Old 10-24-2005, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
A child who has a fever of 102, a light cough but is still sitting up and watchign tv and playing with toys (even sedately) is probably no cause for concern.
Thanks, that made me feel better, he is playing and once he starts coughing he starts watching some t.v. thank you!!

#5 of 15 Old 10-25-2005, 02:50 AM

Sometimes even with antibiotics ear infections do not go away or come back...
#6 of 15 Old 10-25-2005, 03:16 AM

I agree! Wait until it gets to 104 before going in. 102 is okay for a couple of days. If it hangs on, take him in. Tylenol does not work for 8 hours like Advil does. In the hospital the nurses would give Nitara a does of both meds at the same time to start. Then after 8 hours (when the Advil wore off) she got Tylenol. After 4 hours (when the Tylenol wore off) she got Advil again. And so on. Make sure the dose is correct for his weight. I found out I was not giving enough.

Ear infections-- is he complaining of pain or acting out? My dd had 11 of them. 10 before tubes, and one mild one after. She was on antibiotics and they would clear up and then she'd get another cold and they came back.

Oh, and strep is going around right now, too. Is he eating okay, or complaining about throat pain at all?

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#7 of 15 Old 10-25-2005, 10:24 AM

How is Isaac today?
#8 of 15 Old 10-25-2005, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you everyone
Isaac is doing much better, no more fever, still a little cough but usually when he's running around/bedtime. He's not complaining at all about his ears so hopefully they've cleared up! The fever stopped last night, am I the only one who doesn't like fevers?????? I know they are usually harmless yet they make me worry so much! Now it seems to be just a cold.

#9 of 15 Old 10-25-2005, 05:29 PM

Here's what I have learned "Fevers are our friend." Fevers help your body fight infections. Maybe if you read more about fevers and what their purpose is that might help you feel a bit better? I did lots of reading and now I don't worry when my boys have fevers.
#10 of 15 Old 10-25-2005, 06:14 PM

It is hard to train yourself to not overreact to fevers. I think it is natural to worry about them. Now I dont even bother taking temperatures. In fact my thermometer had been lost for probably a year before it just got found. And with 4 kids in the house I hadnt really missed it.
(in fact I think it was a good thing I didnt' have one, because it kept me from obsessing about fever)
Joline
#11 of 15 Old 10-26-2005, 12:10 AM

I would definitely take him back to get rechecked. Alot can happen since then. And if he has a cough also. That's cough, fever and possibly ear infection that hadn't gone away completely. Hope it goes alright.

Bjortandcompany
#12 of 15 Old 10-26-2005, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

my ds is soooo terrified/traumatized b/c his doc tried to pull wax out of his ear at his 3 yr check-up (big..BIG mistake on my part) and it was extremely painful (was always afraid before that though, now he's traumatized). So unless I absolutely have to take him in I won't, my baby has his 9 month check-up (basically just to weigh him) in a few weeks and if he's not better by then/ hasn't gotten worse, I'll ask then.

Thank you again

#13 of 15 Old 10-26-2005, 10:48 AM

That doctor should have never tried to pull wax out of his ear!!! He should send him to an ear doctor. They give you drops to put in the ear to soften the wax up so it comes right out. Shame on him for doing that in his office. These doctor's now a days need a good kick in the _ _ _!!! Sorry to hear you went through that but I would still take him in, maybe to another doctor on call. You want it to be taken care of and know he is alright. Good luck.

Bjortandcompany
#14 of 15 Old 10-27-2005, 06:58 PM

//
#15 of 15 Old 10-27-2005, 07:26 PM

My daughter had a fever for 3 days. It went from 100 - 102.5. Today it's been around 99. They tend to increase at the end of the day, I learned today. (We went to the dr as this is day 4) (she's fine, just a viral cold.)

Don't worry!
I personally don't break fevers unless they are dangerously high or preventing dd from sleeping.

I hope your little one feels better soon.
And if you are not sure, call the dr!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page