Cry for Help - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 34 Old 10-30-2005, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks, Mama2minbu--I checked out the website and will contact a chiropractor in my area.
#32 of 34 Old 10-31-2005, 08:22 AM

he is just so young for all this - why not as others have suggested give him one or two years more before he begins big school. let him find his own feet and find his own strengths before he is pigeonholed into something he is not ?

have you thought of something like a Steiner/
Waldorf school or kindergarten which might much better suit his temperament ?
#33 of 34 Old 10-31-2005, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pony
Mamma2Mingbu--thanks for the links! I think I'm going to start him on DHA supplements soon. As for chiropractic--I didn't know there were chiropractors who specialize in children. I bet they're hard to find. I have to see if our ins. covers that.
Eckist Mamma--It's not that I view special Ed. as a punishment, but as a stigma which may injure his scholastic career as well as his self esteem. I won't disallow it if he needs it because it very well might help, but I really hope he doesn't qualify (if it even comes to an evaluation).
Pony: So glad that so many people responded with hope to offer support. In my experience, the younger the child the less they view extra help for themselves or peers in a negative way. Keep involved as you have been so that you can keep tabs on his emotional impact with any evaluations, services, etc. You seem to want what's best for him now and long term which means he's got a very loving mom. Hang in there. By the way, I smiled that you recognized me as an Eckist. :-)
#34 of 34 Old 10-31-2005, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annarosa
he is just so young for all this - why not as others have suggested give him one or two years more before he begins big school. let him find his own feet and find his own strengths before he is pigeonholed into something he is not ?

have you thought of something like a Steiner/
Waldorf school or kindergarten which might much better suit his temperament ?
Realize that Pony said that she couldn't home school because she had to work to support herself. If this child isn't in school, I'm not sure what her options would be???? Its pretty hard to find an affordable, non-school placement for a school-age child. We were really lucky that our preschool would keep DS until he was nearly 6 before he started K this fall, but it was expensive and few schools have the extended preschool option. And private schools would seem to be a real stretch as well.

I think that getting as much information from the school, from evaluations, from support groups, and from here sounds like the best first step. And while you are gathering information, take your time and don't let anyone push you before you feel ready to make a decision. At the same time though, be open to any support people have to offer.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page