At what age should a child make it through the night without peeing their pants? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 11-04-2005, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dd is only a year and a half but we had some house guests last weekend. Her three children age 8, 6, and 3 all peed all over my air mattress, every night they were here. I guess this is common for them. They are always peeing the bed and on themselves.

Is it common for children that age to regularly pee on themselves at night? It seemed odd to me but my dd is still young so I don't really know.

They also peed all over my bathroom when they did go too. It took me two days worth of cleaning after they left to clean the pee everywhere!

I think if this is common for children of that age shouldn't one bring supplies to clean up after your children knowing that it will be pee galore? LOL.

At what age are most children able to go all night without peeing? I couldn't believe what a mess it was with three children always covered in pee.

Thanks!
#2 of 20 Old 11-04-2005, 11:02 AM

Here's some info on bedwetting. http://www.askdrsears.com/html/7/T071200.asp

Eighty-five percent of children don't wet the bed by age 5. One of my daughters didn't stay dry at night until she was almost 6. She wore a diaper at night until she learned how to stay dry. If I were staying at someone else's house, I'd be particularly careful that we didn't leave a mess for them.

I think it's really rude that your friend wouldn't have cleaned up the bathroom after her kids.
#3 of 20 Old 11-04-2005, 11:52 AM

I have a nephew who is 8, a niece who is 6 and 2 nieces who are 3. The 8 yr old JUST started staying dry MOST of the time at ngiht within the last 6 months, the 6 yr old has been in the last oh 3 months I suppose and they BOTH still have accidents occassionally. The 3 yr olds are no where near dry at gnith...well I take that back...one is closer then the other (they are not twins)... will remain dry at ngiht about 50% of the time now, is about 10% of the time...so I htink it is normal that they aren't dry at ngiht. That said if they were going to visit someone else and weren't dry ALL the time they would wear something to protect the other persons mattress AND any messes made would be cleaned up by the parents NOT by the host.

jen: caring auntie to a bunch of little (and some not so little anymore) wild things. Teacher to my whackadoodle 3s (and sometimes infants)
#4 of 20 Old 11-04-2005, 12:37 PM

A friends DS stillhas regular accidents at age 5, but wears his night-time underwear. I am mortified that they wouldn't clean all the pee and left it for you. Ugh!
#5 of 20 Old 11-04-2005, 12:53 PM
Banned

That link from Dr Sears about bet wetting NOT being emotional is wrong. While bed wetting may not be emotional for most kids going thorugh it, it can be for some.

Emma began wetting the bed when she was having issues at school (her teacher was VERY nasty to her.) This was in the 1st grade. The entire time she was in school and hte trouble began, she wet the bed. When we took her out of school, she stopped wetting the bed right away. She also had issues wetting the bed when I went through my divorce.

http://www.mindspring.com/~drwarren/enuresis.htm
Quote:
Regression in response to psychological trauma or stress is certainly one cause for secondary enuresis.
#6 of 20 Old 11-04-2005, 12:56 PM

Seth was about 4.5 when he started staying dry at night. Madison was around three for night-time dryness. Zachary was over six before he stayed dry every night. Nicholas is almost 4.5 and will stay dry for two or three nights out of the week. He still wears a pull-up at night.

Rebecca wife of Megan...moms to six crazy kiddos! Seth (15), Madison (13), Zachary (12), Trevor (12), Alex (10), and Nicholas (9)
#7 of 20 Old 11-04-2005, 02:43 PM

Jevin is 3 and he stays dry at night but I know lots of kids that dont. My brothers wet the bed until they were 12 and 14. It was miserable for them. My dad and uncle did it too so I think it can be genetic. They never did sleepovers or anything because they were too embarrassed. But I think the parents in the situation of the OP should have cleaned up the pee! My parents always took care of it for my brothers so no one would know (like on a camp trip or something) and they wouldnt have to be embarrassed or made to feel shamed.

Desiree

#8 of 20 Old 11-05-2005, 04:52 AM

My Dd was dry from 22 months on. I wet the bed sometimes until I was 9 years old. It was not fun, but nothing worked to stop this until I just sort of grew out of it.
#9 of 20 Old 11-05-2005, 12:50 PM

My dd has beend mostly dry at night since maybe 2. At that age it was maybe 50/50, then once a week, then once a month. Now I always think she's "done" wetting the bed and a month or two later she wakes in a puddle.

I think bed wetting at 6/8 is a different thing than at 2-3. Many kids can't say dry at night as toddlers- lots are still in daipers full time. Kids are a different issue I thought.

Another thing is that I think kids do it more when they are away from home. I know that's VERY true for dd. It seems like she wets the bed at her grandparents house at least every other time we go up there. She also wets at my moms house at least once while we visit. It's tough because she refuses to wear a daiper at night- she hasn;t worn one in 1.5 years and it feels funny to her. She's too young to understand about consequences very well so she doesn't have the motivation a five year old would to wear a daiper so they won't wake up wet.

I try very hard to bring a "pee mat" with us when we travel- or a waterproof sheet. The g-parents have these at their houses. I think one needs to do that if you have a kid who may wet.

That said- we had to buy a new futon for a place we stayed at in Hawaii once. The guy was nice about it, especially since it was old anyway and we gave him some money to get a new one. I was very embarassed though.
#10 of 20 Old 11-05-2005, 01:35 PM

Those ages are not uncommon to still be frequent (if not constant) bedwetters. I can't understand not using a pull-up in that situation, though!

DD & DS went out of night time diapers at the same time (DS was 3.5, DD was just over 6). They still have accidents (DS had one last night) but we always take pull-ups when we travel. Last thing I need to deal with is finding new sheets in a home not my own.

We will be staying at DP's parents house over Thanksgiving but they won't be there, so I'm considering having DD go without and see what happens.

#11 of 20 Old 11-08-2005, 11:33 AM

Yeah i totally don't understand why she doesn't use some kinda of a night time diaper. I got lucky with ds he was day time and night time potty learned at 2.5 years old and has had maybe 1-2 acidence since and he is now 5 years old.
DD1 on the other hand was day time potty learned at 21-22 months old but still wears a night time diaper and wakes up dry only about 25% of the time so we still have a while for her, i think. she is now 3years and 5 months.
My SIL's kids (she has 6) and i know her last 3 still were a pull up bed and they are 7 ds, 5dd, and 4dd.
As for the bathroom thing i don't see why they would have to pee all over stuff unless they were never taught how to aim (boys) to pee in the tolit properly, ect. that's just very very rode IMO that she left you home like that, i would never imagine.
#12 of 20 Old 11-08-2005, 11:56 AM

My Dd has been staying dry through the night since the age of 15 months. She's never had a night time accident. (We got lucky).

Ds who will be 3 in Feb. still wears and soaks a pull up every night even though he is day trained. I don't really seen an end in sight anytime soon to the pull up at night. But that's fine with me.

IMO, all kids are different.

Bethany, mama to M (9), J (7), S (4), and baby BOY 9/13/10!!
#13 of 20 Old 11-08-2005, 11:57 AM

My ds has been night time dry since he was 2 1/2.
My dd turned 5 in June and still wears a pull up at night. 1 or 2x a month she will wake up dry.
My neice was almost 9 before she was able to stay dry at night.

Kathy-Mom to Blake & Mikaela
#14 of 20 Old 11-08-2005, 03:42 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Don't they have nighttime Pullup type pants for older children? It seems rude to allow the children to pee all over the bed when its known that they wet the bed at night.

My son turned four in June and potty trained at 3 yrs old. It's only been this past week that he has stayed dry overnight (about 4 days in a row now! YAY!) and has not gotten up to pee at night. For a while he would cry and thrash around and we would have to basically force him to wake up to go to the bathroom because he was getting the urge to go, but not fully waking up and would spend off and on the rest of the night thrashing and crying until he finally went. Now he stays dry all night about half the time without getting up to go. But he still wears a Pull Up at night.

Different kids are different, though. Trevor also has good aim in the bathroom and I have even seen him wipe extra pee off the toilet seat with toilet paper if he has a little dripping! He's never "pee all over the bathroom" when going, even as an experiment or joke. :

Married, college student, part time work from home mom to DS (12), DD1 (10) and DD2 (9) and a giant dopey newfoundland, a crazy border collie mix, 3 black cats and two rats.
#15 of 20 Old 11-09-2005, 07:36 PM

my dd is 6 she will wet the bed every about 2months so far shes doing great but my doc told me it could be during her growth spurts becouse she would have some months worse than others
#16 of 20 Old 11-09-2005, 08:05 PM

Depends, my 5 y/o still wets every night.

Tamara: hs'ing Christian mom of five here and five in Heaven. Joyfully awaiting Punkin, coming mid-Sept!
#17 of 20 Old 11-09-2005, 08:06 PM

You could try some Goodnights if you want sposies. We use SnapEZ Nap EZ trainers. They pull on like undies but have snaps if there is stool. I let him pick out the colors and he thinks they're wicked cool.

Tamara: hs'ing Christian mom of five here and five in Heaven. Joyfully awaiting Punkin, coming mid-Sept!
#18 of 20 Old 11-10-2005, 01:11 AM

Of my 3 potty using children (ages 9, 7, 7) one still wets the bed EVERY night. He's 7. The other 2 never have accidents. One was dry around age 4, the other one pretty much quit wetting at night by age 2 or so, even before potty training. I got lucky with him!

If we were staying somewhere, I'd bring along pull-ups. If it was a friend's home (not a hotel) I'd also bring along some sort of protection for the bed like a waterproof mattress pad, although arent' air mattresses just plastic so easily washable? I'd definitely wash up any messes that occurred.
#19 of 20 Old 11-10-2005, 06:34 AM

i wet the bed til was 9 or 10 maybe? its different for each kid tho, but the parents should have come prepared for their children to wet the bed,an not have left it all for you. not only is it rude, its gross too

*~*Ashley*~* newly single mama to Tristan 10/01/2007
#20 of 20 Old 11-10-2005, 04:56 PM

Docs don't get concerned until age 5 or 6.

My son is 6.75, daughter 4.75 and daughter 2.75 years.

The almost 7 year old JUST got out of nightime pullups about a month ago. He is dry about 75-80% of the time now.

The almost 5 year old has been out of pullups for about a year now. She wets her bed about once a month.

The almost 3 year old has been out of pullups for 2 nights now! So far so good - I think she was consistently night dry for about 2 weeks before she asked to wear panties to bed.

Chiropractic and DHA supplements have helped our family with wetting accidents.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page