personality change in 5-year-old - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 11-20-2005, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't know if this is the right forum for this or not. My child seemed to undergo a personality change shortly after he turned 5! Now he's nearly 6. He was always the most agreeable, easy-going child - the twos and threes were a breeze. Now he has a very short fuse, gets angry/frustrated often, stomps, kicks, has meltdowns. I'm wondering if this is a normal stage for this age or if its delayed from the earlier years (he's developmentally on track/ahead in everything else). The other thing I wonder is if it could be caused by a food allergy/intolerance. He started having tummy aches shortly after turning 5, and we took him off gluten for several months. The tummy aches completely resolved (according to blood tests, he's not celiac). He's been back on (limited) gluten since the end of June with no tummy aches. The behavior is definitely getting worse. Any suggestions? Thanks!

P.S. He's still a sweet kid, and he's not like this ALL the time. Maybe its just normal behavior and seems abnormal because he's never had meltdowns before?
#2 of 3 Old 11-21-2005, 03:24 AM

I'm convinced that their teeth bug them at this age. Is he getting his molars? Are they in? Any wigglies?

My dd will be 6 in a couple of weeks. Her behavior was awful all summer while those teeth were coming in. When I finally put two and two together, I was able to ask her about it and sure enough her head hurt, or her mouth hurt. I think it's this kind of constant stressor for them.
#3 of 3 Old 11-23-2005, 06:48 PM

My son started school at 5 and became a different child. He had previously been a cuddly "mommy's boy" and kind and gentle. He became aggressive and angry and unpredictable. He got worse over the first three months to a point where we considered other schooling options.

The teacher he had said he was a model pupil and no trouble in class. But when he came home he terrorized his younger sisters and was unpleasant to be around.

Someone suggested he was stressed by school and might be a bit young to cope. I looked at other schooling options and eventually decided this was very serious and I would take him out till he was a year older. Within two weeks of coming home he changed back to the kind loving boy I knew.

At the end of the year we were committed to home schooling him and his sisters, and there were no more behaviour problems.

That was 20 years ago, and it was the wisest thing I have ever done.

Behaviour changes like you describe are not normal and need investigating. They are likely to be the result of some kind of stress from somewhere, at home or at school.

hope you can help him
Lynn

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page