Can your 3 year old hold a pencil correctly? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 12-21-2005, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DD takes craftsd at the Y and this week they used a pencil. All 3 other kids could hold a pencil correctly but not DD. The other 3 are all related. Can yours hold a pencil or at what age could do they do it propely?

The first rule of homeschooling: water the plants! :
#2 of 22 Old 12-21-2005, 11:58 AM

My daughter is 4 years 3 months, and still doesn't hold one properly - she holds it like a paintbrush! We're working on it, but it hasn't gelled yet.
#3 of 22 Old 12-21-2005, 12:05 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
no, my dd1 is 4 and 3/4 and is working on it, but only does it about 50% of the time.

i wouldn't worry about it just yet. you can show her how it's easier that way, but then i'd just leave it to her to explore.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#4 of 22 Old 12-21-2005, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mammastar2
My daughter is 4 years 3 months, and still doesn't hold one properly - she holds it like a paintbrush! We're working on it, but it hasn't gelled yet.
Same with my ds (same age 4+). Except, he holds them properly in his left. I'm pretty sure he is right handed, though right now he sometimes has better control with his left because of his grip. He uses scissors and other things with his right.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#5 of 22 Old 12-21-2005, 02:27 PM

My DD is 4 years 8 months, and has been holding a pencil correctly since right before turning 4.
#6 of 22 Old 12-21-2005, 03:48 PM

i dont think my ds does.. he is four, though he can write just fine... you know..... i should look and see bc im actually not sure.....

however, my two year old dd does hold it correctly.... she has super fine motor ability for her age, though.
#7 of 22 Old 12-21-2005, 07:30 PM

Don’t think of right and wrong think in terms of functional and non-functional.

One thing you can do to help her learned a functional grip is use smaller pencils, crayons, and chalk. Use golf size pencils (like you find in libraries) break chalk and crayons in half.

http://www.hwtears.com/solutions.htm

I lost a really good link on the various functional grips, darn.

Honestly at three I wouldn’t really be worried about this much. He has a long way to development of fine motor skills. I would put a focus on developing fine motor skill not worrying to much about the pencil grip for another year or so.
#8 of 22 Old 12-21-2005, 07:46 PM

My dd, 3 3/4, sometimes does and sometimes doesn't. Much to the chagrin of my good friend who is an OT, I don't worry about it because, well, she's 3! When she's ready to learn to write, she'll learn to hold a pencil.

Namaste!
#9 of 22 Old 12-21-2005, 08:01 PM

My ds is 3 1/2 and still uses a fist to hold crayons, etc. He's in OT b/c of autism and she's working on getting the proper grip. He has the ability to hold 'properly' b/c when we use broken crayons he does it. We also practice with a lite brite- to get the pegs in the holes, you've got to hold it like a pencil.

My grip is horrible- never have had a 'proper' grip, but my handwriting is very legible and I don't get hand 'fatigue' like they say. If I am writing a TON, like taking notes in class, I use a fat pen so I don't get hand cramps.

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
#10 of 22 Old 12-22-2005, 06:18 AM

I don't know what age is "normal", but my 22 month old can hold it correctly. My older DS's teacher was amazed by it though, and said that was early though.
#11 of 22 Old 12-22-2005, 08:54 AM

Dd, who is almost 4 has been able to for at least 2 years. She is (IMO) overly fascinated with pencils, pens, paper and writing and has been "playing" with them since she was about 18 months old. She doesn't color much, but likes to write and draw. I don't remember ever teaching her... she just kinda knew how to hold a writing utensil from a young age. I'm sure there's a wide range that kids learn this skill.
#12 of 22 Old 12-25-2005, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkenny
I don't know what age is "normal", but my 22 month old can hold it correctly. My older DS's teacher was amazed by it though, and said that was early though.

DD was holding a pencil "correctly" since about 18 mo (or younger?). At almost 3, thought, she is reverting sometimes. It wasn't taught - that is just what works well for her. She has advanced fine motor skills for her age, whereas linguistically she is about 1.5 years behind our neighbor who is 1 week older. I think it just depends on the child and there shouldn't be a concern yet - many kids don't get it until after they start schooling or even later.
#13 of 22 Old 12-25-2005, 10:25 PM

all of my kids so far (and me are incorrect holders
Thumb and ring finger resting on the nail.
I let them go if that was more natural.

8 might be enough
#14 of 22 Old 12-25-2005, 10:34 PM

NO!!!

My ds1 will be 4 in two weeks and when he picks up a pencil, he does it wrong every time! If I put the pencil in his hand the right way, he can use it, but if he picks it up himself, it's always wrong.

He also cannot use scissors.

My friends 27 month old dd has been holding crayons correctly for some time now. I'm glad there are other older children who aren't.

~lisa~mama to 3 boys (1/02, 5/04, 12/06)
#15 of 22 Old 12-26-2005, 04:27 AM

Mine can, but can you say "spirited"... Every child has different strengths; I would say 3 is very young for correct pencil holding. My other kids could not do it at this age; my three year old is just one with above average fine motor skills.
#16 of 22 Old 12-27-2005, 08:08 PM

What I have found with my two girls (who developed so similarly it is amazing -- they walked, talked, read, etc. at virtually the same age) is that trying to teach them to hold it right doesn't make much of a difference. I worried w/ dd#1 b/c she wasn't holding her pencil correctly at 3, so I worked with her to get it right and frustrated the heck out of the poor kid. Around 3.5 or so, it just suddenly clicked and she got it.

With dd#2, her preschool teacher mentioned that she wasn't holding her pencil correctly at her first p/t conference (she had just turned 3). I said, oh well; she'll get it when she's ready and never even mentioned to dd that there was a better way to hold the pencil. Again, right around 3.5 or so, she just started holding it correctly with no specific instruction. It seems that it is just a developmental thing -- if the kid isn't ready to hold the pencil differently and s/he is still under 5 or so, I probably wouldn't even give it a second thought.
#17 of 22 Old 12-29-2005, 02:02 AM

ds is 28 months and has just started to hold it "correctly." He just watched me one day and started doing it. He is also interested and practicing with scissors. His grip is light, but his fingers are in the right place.
#18 of 22 Old 12-29-2005, 11:41 PM

Yes, my 3.75 yo DD holds her pencil correctly. IME, there's a big difference between a just-turned-3-yo and an almost-4-yo. And, as everyone has stated, kids learn things at different rates.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#19 of 22 Old 01-02-2006, 06:40 PM

My just turned 3 had been holding her pencil "right" for a long time, maybe since age 2-2.5. She just love to spend time drawing and writing that she probably master this sooner than most as her language is 6mths behind others her age. DD2 at 21mths is holding her pencil right too. I don't remember when she started.

Sand, Mom to three girls and a new SON!!!!  babyboy.gif Born on March 7th, 2011  I get to do these again:   bfinfant.gifslingboy.gifcd.gif
#20 of 22 Old 01-02-2006, 07:33 PM

Nope, DS is 4 and can't hold it correctly yet. He writes his name and lots of letters perfectly holding it his way, though, so can't argue with that
#21 of 22 Old 01-03-2006, 06:57 PM

Some of my students (kindergarteners) still can't hold pencils the "correct" way yet! Not to worry- sometimes it has to do with lack of exposure to writing tools, and sometimes their small bones in their wrists still haven't developed yet.

What is important at this age (1-5, and 6 too!) is to let them have all of the writing tool time that they want- it's better for them to feel that they belong to the "community of writers" and to have a positive image of the process of writing than for them to feel defeated before they begin! While I do prompt my students on how to hold a pencil, what is more important to me is whether or not they are getting their thoughts down onto the paper, in picture or word form. Three cheers to the child who enthusiastically "writes" (as indecipherable as it may be to anyone else's eye!) and illustrates a story- success will be theirs! I once read from another teacher that it is a truly fortunate child who incorrectly spells "Obnockshus Pitbul" instead of the correct "Bad dog," as the first child is taking a chance, and using detail! I feel the same about kids who, though they cannot hold a pencil correctly, give it a go anyways!

Clara

Mama to a beautiful little girl, born July 18, 2007
Eager for a VBAC some time around April 10, 2010!
#22 of 22 Old 01-04-2006, 03:48 PM

Yes...I didn't teach her though! She's been holding it the right way as long as I can remember. She and I are both lefties and it took me until college to hold a pen or pencil the way she is naturally holding it now!

A writer/runner/thinker/wife with two daughters (11/02 and 8/05), one dog, three cats, seven fish, and a partridge in a pear tree... in Vermont.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page