What's the deal with the sarcasim???? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 11-21-2001, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is it just my kid or is it a all around 6-7 year old phenomominan? I am very sarcastic (though I like to think of myself as ironic instead ). So what is the deal...I thought this didn't happen untill the preteen-teen years? I take comfort in the fact that a lot of what she says IS fairly clever. So whats the deal with your kidos...?

Eden yikes.gif, working on a PhD in Education mama to Laurelleshamrocksmile.gif (16), Orijoy.gif (6), Yarrowfaint.gif (4) and Linusfly-by-nursing1.gif (1) partner to Brice. 
#2 of 9 Old 11-21-2001, 03:21 PM

I would have to say that it is pretty normal. My son is also going through a sacastic, talk back to me phase. Just this morning, I had to remind him that he needs to listen to me and quit smart-mouthing....there is a time and place for everything.
I think bacuse I laugh at what he says sometimes, he thinks its ok now to say it, even when I mean buisness.
#3 of 9 Old 11-21-2001, 04:35 PM

Ok, bathrobe goddess, I cannot reply about the sarcasm, I just wanted to say I love your name

jtsmom
#4 of 9 Old 11-23-2001, 10:35 AM

Well, kids will emulate their parents. That is what they are designed through evolution to do. So if you want them to modify their behavior, you should too!

Painfull isn't it!

a

The anti-Ezzo king
#5 of 9 Old 11-25-2001, 02:28 PM

It makes me wonder about pbs shows, Arthur in particular, who is full of sarcasm. Even his little sister, DW is soooo mouthy. I mean why would anyone want kids to view such behaviour? Of course then they try to imitate it. I thought I was doing ok basically limiting dd to pbs, but Arthur is a nightmare. Of course now she knows I don't like or allow the show, so it is forbidden fruit....

I have no advice on how to curb sarcasm, but I really try to watch I am never sarcastic. It is hard to do. They pick up on everything.
#6 of 9 Old 11-26-2001, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks mamas for all the wonderful ideas! I will put them all into my bag of tricks!

Eden yikes.gif, working on a PhD in Education mama to Laurelleshamrocksmile.gif (16), Orijoy.gif (6), Yarrowfaint.gif (4) and Linusfly-by-nursing1.gif (1) partner to Brice. 
#7 of 9 Old 12-17-2001, 12:56 AM

I guess unless my kids were directly quoting a line from Arthur I wouldn't blame him. I think some people are generally more sarcastic people and I do think being around sarcasm breeds sarcasm. It can be a very good way of communicating, especially when you need to make light of a situation. Don't we all, sometimes. Sarcasm can be an icebreaker, a laugh and it can be disrespectful.

I really like the show Arthur. Unlike most shows there is no one "bad" kid or one "good" kid. All the characters have good and bad sides and sometimes make good or bad decisions, like being sarcastic or mouthy at the wrong time.
#8 of 9 Old 12-18-2001, 01:03 AM

my 9 year old is from time to time.
im not sure when he started

it isn't really a "bad thing"......as it shows they have a mind of their own, intelligence, and that they aren't afraid.

it could be bad, if they were sarcastic to the wrong person, but I get a kick out of it sometimes. He doesn't do this to strangers.

The other day my DH was laughing at him for spilling something....and my son said, "be glad I didn't spill it on your precious rug">... my dh has this expensive rug that he is over protective of LOL

#9 of 9 Old 12-18-2001, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lucy
It makes me wonder about pbs shows, Arthur in particular, who is full of sarcasm.
Well, this is really off-topic, but I must point out that one of the major sponsors for Arthur is JuicyJuice, aka Libby's, aka Nestle! If they market formula as aggressively as they do and throw WHO guidelines out the window, how can we expect them to have our child's best interests in mind when it comes to TV? Just a thought... When I know Arthur is on, I skip over it - luckily I have two PBS stations from which to choose.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page