Getting the angries out - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-11-2002, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What do you do to help your child safely express and diffuse his anger? I started another thread earlier today asking why my child is getting so angry and I got some helpful thoughts – but I was thinking it might also be helpful to get a list going of some good ideas to help our little ones “get their angries out” as my ds says.

Here are some of the things I’ve tried with ds:

Hitting pillows on his bed (not sure that this is a great suggestion b/c it still associates hitting with release of anger, but it’s way better than him hitting me or his brother).

Hammering on a pounding peg toy

Taking slow deep breathes

Using words – say, “I’m feeling angry because. . .”

I hope someone has some better ones b/c I can’t say we’ve been that successful with the above methods.

Thanks for the help!
#2 of 6 Old 01-12-2002, 01:39 AM

This is an idea I got from another mom, I don't know why I didn't think of it myself. When ds is mad, I say, do you need to be alone, or do you need a big hug? It is amazing most of the time he wants a hug. I don't know if that is what you were looking for, but I am amazed at how often that calms him down, especially when he is mad at me.
#3 of 6 Old 01-23-2002, 03:58 PM
m&m

I use different methods depending on the source of the anger, and on my daughter's mood.

* a time-in : big hug, or simply sitting beside her, and staying quiet

* labeling feelings, helping them learn the physical side to anger - ie clenching fists

* deep breathing - or count to 5

* painting, or drawing, or cutting up paper, or smashing playdough - expressing the feelings through art - even the motions and colors they choose can help get the angries out

* play pretend - with dolls or toys - role playing for little ones - re-enact the situation that caused anger

* make an object the guilty party - ie. angry/frustrated can't pull down her pants - say that those pants are held on so tight - and say let go pants, ect. silliness helps a lot

* make sure your child witnesses you dealing with your feelings - and if you usually yell, so will your child.

There are more ways I use, but each depend on specific situations. Hope these help
#4 of 6 Old 01-25-2002, 10:24 PM

oooooo...

good ideas, I especially like the art one and the one about telling the pants to let go. Thank you m&m

jtsmom
#5 of 6 Old 01-25-2002, 11:10 PM - Thread Starter

Just wanted to say these are all great ideas - keep them coming!

#6 of 6 Old 01-25-2002, 11:52 PM

Stomp your feet!

After the situation is difused, read a book like "When Sofie gets Angry", by Molly Bang.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page