4 y/o bed wetting - causes? solutions? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 01-08-2006, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My recently turned 4y/o dd has been consistently peeing her bed for about 6 months now, I have been hoping it would pass but it doesn't seem to be.

Nearly once she was out of diapers (around 2y/o) she stopped wearing diapers to bed successfully. She would fuss in the night and I would bring her in to use the washroom. No accidents or rare anyways.

Now, she no longer wakes to go pee. She pees in her bed then sometimes wakes up uncomfortably, sometimes sleeps through.

I limit her fluids in the evening, she pees before bed, and I take her once in the night. Often she pees before I get to her. And if I take her too early then she is quite likely to pee later on. It is VERY consistent that she pees the bed...I would say 4-5 times a week even with my preventative measures.

She doesn't seem troubled by having these accidents, I never make a deal of them.

Looking for causes, suggestions, ideas...

TIA
#2 of 16 Old 01-09-2006, 10:09 AM

Its odd that she was getting up and stopped. All I know Is I know several children that have had this problem past age 6 and have had to wear pull ups at night. I think some children just have bodies that are not ready for night dryness.
#3 of 16 Old 01-09-2006, 11:24 AM

:

I have the same thing going on. DD sleeps very deeply and doesn't wake up. All things that you've mentioned and more wouldn't help, so we are just waiting it out for now. We will revisit the issue later. After much thought, we've decided the only set-back it is currently causing is the price of pull-ups. Hopefully she will stop before it becomes a social problem.

~Sara, WAHSingMomi to girls R and AV, S.O.A.R. Scout Leader and Homeschooling In Detroit Blogger

#4 of 16 Old 01-09-2006, 11:37 AM

I found this site, Ask Dr. Sears to be very helpful in understanding what's happening. My DD is 9 and she still wets the bed about 30% of the time.
#5 of 16 Old 01-09-2006, 03:37 PM

Stop lifting her in the night: it's a coping strategy which isn't working in the short term and is creating bad habits in the long term. My younger son still wets occasionally, and he went through a spell early after he p/l ed that he was dry at night- then his body decided that wasn't right for him. Enuresis is about 50% emotional, 50% physical, so you'll probably never know why this happened- or why she was dry earlier.
Buy big girl bedtime pants- or get a seamstress friend to make them. Washing sheets is a pita.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#6 of 16 Old 01-09-2006, 08:07 PM

I was going to say what the op said. When she would fuss and you would bring her to the toilet, was she awake? If she wasn't you were actually encouraging her to pee in her sleep, or so some of the child development books anyway. I think is she were getting up herself and going and then stopped it would be unusual, but it sounds like she wasn't conscious of waking up to pee, yk? I'd put her in pullups or absorbent cloth training pants at night. She may not be physically able to be dry at night yet.

My ds is about 3.5 and is dry at night about half the time but we do pull ups still. Occasionally he'll wake up and take himself to the potty but that isn't very often.
#7 of 16 Old 01-09-2006, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter

OK, thanks for the replies, I was going to ask if it would be a setback from her point of view to go back to night diapers after being out of them for nearly 2 years. All posters have dc in diapers at night so I think I know the answer.

I will check out that Sears site too.

Thanks again.
#8 of 16 Old 01-09-2006, 08:58 PM
Banned

Did she start school or some other thing that might be causing stress or for her to be too tired to wake?
#9 of 16 Old 01-09-2006, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter

No, she hasn't started school. She weaned about 8 months before this began. It actually started at the end of summer and at first I thought that it was because we had been so busy with summer life but I have since ruled that out. She did however start having some fairly vivid dreams around the same time, some of which were pretty scary. Otherwise life has been pretty routine and regular.
#10 of 16 Old 01-10-2006, 06:59 PM

all I can say is be patient and gentle with her Mama..(which I am sure you are ) I wet my bed until I was 9yo and I remember the humiliation and shame I felt.. I second the training pants..or pull ups also..anything to male this less painful, I remember my Mom not allowing me to drink after a certain time at night..(it didn't help) and feeling like I was being punished.. sorry I am can't offer anything brilliant to help..
#11 of 16 Old 01-10-2006, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

I suggested pull ups to her lastnight and she wasn't that impressed. She said she is not a baby. She woke up lastnight after having a pee crying No No No. I am afraid that the mention of pull ups was somewhat of an insult to her or made it an issue all of a sudden. When she woke up this morning she didn't remember (or didnt want to acknowledge) peeing I guess because she said she stayed dry and seemed pleased with herself.

I will let it go for awhile before bringing up the pull ups again. When I introduced the idea lastnight it was really laid back kind of conversation. Something like ... "Maybe we could pick up some pull ups for you to wear at night to keep you more comfortable." Something like that. Maybe if I need to go that route again I could bring her shopping and see if she wants to pick out her own or whatever.

Good Night, off to the laundry room!
#12 of 16 Old 01-11-2006, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
For dd I think it is/was more an issue of being a deep sleeper. For the past 1 1/2-2yrs I have been taking her to the bathroom in the middle of the night. She refused to wear diapers around 3 1/2yrs and I just didn't want to have to change the sheets in our co-sleeping bed plus her clothes and mine. We went camping a couple of weeks ago and I insisted on pull-ups as it was very cold at night and wouldn't be a pleasant experience for any of us to have her peeing in that situation. She was really upset but did it. She did pee the first 2 days, but was dry for the other 5. Since we got back I haven't been taking her to pee and she's been dry since.
I don't think taking the dc to pee in the middle of the night is bad, though I often hear that. I agree that it probably doesn't help the issue, but honestly I think you just have to deal with it and nothing is going to help but time.

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#13 of 16 Old 01-11-2006, 12:39 PM

I read the Dr. Sears article and now I'm all worried. My 4 y.o. has never had a dry night. We've tried to get her out of the pull-ups and take her to bathroom during the night but she still wets her bed.

From the Dr. Sears article:

Red flags of underlying medical conditions causing bedwetting are:

day wetting
dribbling
constipation
frequent urinary tract infections
noisy breathing
snoring
or a family history of urinary tract abnormalities

DD does day wet more than I'd like. I tend to think that its procrastination though and not medically based. She does breathe noisely and snore at night. Also, my oldest daughter had a urinary tract abnormality that we never tested her for...

Should I have her looked at by the pediatrician?
#14 of 16 Old 01-17-2006, 12:34 PM

3 daughters- The next time you are at the pediatrician ask about it. I also have a 4 y/o who always wets at night. He has to sleep in a Goodnite every night. My pediatrician was pretty casual about. Some kids bladders are just not mature enough to stay dry through the night. Ds is a heavy sleeper and I was a bedwetter also, so I figure I have another year or two before he will be dry consistantly. I just stay casual about it. When he asks to sleep without one I tell him that he can after he stays dry for a week. He has accepted that. The whole bedwetting thing really doesn't seem to bother him anyway.

Mom to Zach eat.gif , 2 cat.gif, 1dog2.gif, and a whole lot of goldfish.gif!!!! 
#15 of 16 Old 01-17-2006, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

I am ok with the fact that some children just arent ready to stay dry all night but what is causing it to happen after more than a year of dry nights?
#16 of 16 Old 01-17-2006, 07:29 PM

One of my children was wetting the bed past 5yo much of the time, but a year later almost never does. It is easy to tell why--she is definitely one of the deepest sleepers I know and has difficulty waking up for any reason. I think it's just the size of her bladder that has made it better.

(Now I spend my time wondering if she'll ever be able to get herself out of bed in the morning without lots of help. Once she gets out of bed after a struggle she wants to lay back down on the floor, or the couch, and just flop over anywhere and not move.)

I would be disinclined to worry about a 4yo having accidents. All my children had some backsteps in potty-learning even after good progress. It's as if toiletting was a strong cognitive focus for a little while and appeared fairly well-mastered, but when other things drew more of the child's general attention, it became clear that the incorporation of the habits that would make it an "automatic" process was only partial as yet. Soon things would get more attention and move ahead again. With each stage the behavior patterns grew more permanent, more ingrained, and gradually it would come to require very little attention and become consistent. All I mean to say is that appearing to move forward and back seems to be a normal part of the process for many children.

You might try a towel over a large felted wool pad or something similar on the bed over the sheets instead of pull-ups.

ME&treehugger.gifHE... loving our: wild.gifdd(18) ~~violin.gifds(13) read.gifdd(13)~~ peace.gifdd(10)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page