Is your four year old loud? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 01-21-2006, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I dont know what the deal is, but ds is now 4 1/2, and man oh man, his mouth does not stop. Not only is he very loud, but he is running commentary guy........ I know its probably very healthy, but his mouth does not stop , it drives me nuts . I mean, we are sitting at the table and he just sings, and chatters and ...... right now he is having breakfast (he woke up late and we've all eaten) and he is in there making weird noises, and singing..... Do any of ya'lls four year olds do this constantly? Please tell me its the age, sometimes I long for a moment, just a moment of no chatter...lol... ('course as I type it has become silent).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 22 Old 01-21-2006, 01:45 PM

Yup, my ds was loud, still is. In fact when I can't hear him I have to go check on him since that usually means he's doing something he shouldn't. I've gotten used to it, and dd loves it. He's very physical and loves to entertain. I keep telling myself that Jim Carrey made millions.
#3 of 22 Old 01-21-2006, 03:08 PM

Is my four year old loud?

In a word,

YES!

She's very loud! She always has been. She's got a lot to say

~Sara, WAHSingMomi to girls R and AV, S.O.A.R. Scout Leader and Homeschooling In Detroit Blogger

#4 of 22 Old 01-22-2006, 06:54 AM

If only she had a volume knob.

Oye Yemaya oloto
#5 of 22 Old 01-22-2006, 07:31 PM

My ds does not stop talking either.....I am glad to join the club.....in the car a story cd sometime brings a lull.....he loves to play weather commentator! He also loves to rhyme...yesterday he said he was awesome possum....followed by I am just the possumist!....humble too!
#6 of 22 Old 01-22-2006, 09:24 PM

My son (who turned 3 on Halloween) just started doing this a month or two ago. Wow. It is one big, long, constant, endless commentary Anything he sees, he will weave into the conversation. It's particularly interesting when we go on walks (for exercise for me -- he is in a stroller because if he was walking, I wouldn't be able to walk fast enough to reap the benefits of exercise). He sits there and just talks about EVERYTHING that is going on. Or he will sing (1...2...3, 4, 5. Once I caught a fish alive... etc ).

At least I know I am not the only one Though isn't he a bit young?? I am almost afraid to see what 4 will be like!
#7 of 22 Old 01-22-2006, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter

, well for me four is just...... its very funny. .I like it a lot of the time bc its like a running commentary of his inside thoughts, its just that once in a while (particularly if i have a headache) i . want . it . to . stop.

but, he is a lively, happy , bouncy thing... and i think it is just part of his personality, though i started this thread to kind of vent, i think he gets it from me ..

but, i guess 3 was....just a lot of talking about stuff just because, and it was actually frusterating for us a little bc he stuttered for a while, his htoughts were moving faster than his mouth...... but now the mouth has caught up, and *I* cant keep up... ..but the things he comes out with... .and I love listening when he doesnt know I am.... its so funny..
#8 of 22 Old 01-22-2006, 10:16 PM

Yes - I don't think he means to be but he is very loud. I've wondered if he has a hearing problem.

Mama to:Ben (12), Natalie (9), Zoe (5)

#9 of 22 Old 01-23-2006, 12:34 PM

Ahaha you gals have some funny dc's.

Yesterday dd and I were talking about what we were cooking and almost everything registered, but then dd said "Not to worry mom. I'm sure one day I'll understand what you're talking about."

:

Yes, I suppose she will!

~Sara, WAHSingMomi to girls R and AV, S.O.A.R. Scout Leader and Homeschooling In Detroit Blogger

#10 of 22 Old 01-23-2006, 12:59 PM

We have been wishing since dd started talking that she came with a volume knob, but we haven't found it yet. Listening to dd always talking and being so louc when talking got discouraging when she was around her cousin, 6 months older, all the time. Since we have moved away it seems a bit easier to remember this is just her personality. She also frequently has a running commentary going on about what she is doing or what her brother or I am doing. It can get really funny when she has an on going conversation with herself or her dolls and she gets upset when I comment about it. She will get so upset if she doesn't want me involved in what she is talking about, but she is so loud I thought she was actually talking to me!.

Kristina mom to A 1/12 J 11/05 D 4/08 and tiny dude in late April 2010
#11 of 22 Old 01-23-2006, 01:01 PM

Ok, if you' ve seen Spinal Tap, you'll get this joke.

Our DD goes to ELEVEN. She's one LOUDER.

From birth Charlotte has been a LOUD child. She cried louder and more intensely than every other child, she spoke LATER, but babbled first among her peers.

Yammer yammer yammer yammer... OH MY GOODNESS that child can talk.

Interestingly, her brother, almost three, has been quite verbally precocious from about 16 months. Which was quite astonishing after she spoke a bit late (really nothing more than a few words, no two word phrases until she was fully two etc) but then caught up in a month to all of her peers. We expected our son, second child, boy, would speak a bit later than she did.
HECK No. We figured its becuase he wanted to get a word in edgewise past his sister so he figured he might as well start talking too.

He's not as loud as she is but the ongoing commentary we're all talking about has been going on with him for at least a solid six months now (he's three next month).

And they both talk at the same time CONSTANTLY. Makes me cuckoo. Then dh will talk on top of that and I'm supposed to respond to all three AT ONCE!?!!?

but yes, my four year old is loud.
#12 of 22 Old 01-23-2006, 04:54 PM

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
OMG! Thank the lord there is another child like mine! Mine drives me up the wall sometimes SINGING at the top of his lungs- in the store, in his bed in the morning, at the table, everywhere! He has these really long and involved stories he tells us that I listen to.. some have lasted for 20 minutes before. He talks all day long. Someone said it's like a constant running commentary of their thoughts and it really is! My son starts his sentences quite frequently with "Mom, I'm thinking about something...."

It is tolerable and cute (except I wish he had a volume control sometimes) but when his 2.5 yr old sister has to repeat every story or every question that comes out of her brother's mouth, my days sometimes get a little tedious!

Married, part time work from home mom to DS (13 and homeschooling), DD1 (11) and DD2 (9) and a giant dopey newfoundland, a crazy border collie mix, 3 black cats and a cute rat.
#13 of 22 Old 01-23-2006, 06:34 PM

uh huh and THEN do they take perverse hysterical JOY by changing the words to every song they know?
I swear For most of December and January everything said by either of them has been SUNG to the tune of either Frosty the Snowman or Away in a Manger.

Because apparently changing the words to ANYTHING is hysterically funny.

as some one else said, Jim Carrey has made a lot of money being funny right? I swear my son especially is headed for a career in stand up comedy.
#14 of 22 Old 01-25-2006, 12:49 PM

yes, and yesterday we had running comentary from 9 am til 7:30pm when I finally said "Ok, it's sleep time now" (after several sleepy meltdowns)

Today is less chatter-y and more meltdowny...it needs to hurry up and warm up today so we can get outside. I swear, all this talking, then when something isn't exactly right, a total crying jagg...really...I wonder who's worse, him or me w/PMS

~Autumn~   Mama to whistling.gif (2001) and hearts.gif(2005) partners.gif madly in love since '99 
#15 of 22 Old 01-25-2006, 02:45 PM

One more mommy of a 4yo who is both loud and constantly talking. She has started to use this invented language because "she used up all her regular words". Are any of your dc into knock knock jokes because I don't think I can hear another one without cracking.
#16 of 22 Old 01-25-2006, 04:11 PM

Oh yes, we speak in invented languages too and knock knock jokes URGH don't get me started!!!!!

And my kids both attend school in French (dd has been in two years of French, ds is in his first year of French preschool) so they actually do switch languages (especially my daughter) if they run out of things to say in English.

what fun.
oh well, soon they'll be teenagers and it'll be hard to get them to talk right?
#17 of 22 Old 01-25-2006, 09:39 PM

My ds is 3.5 and he chatters constantly. He makes up stories, conversations with his make belive friend "Jeff" whom he speaks to via dh's old cell phone. Also he does the repetitive noises (drives me nuts), humming, singing (I like this better)... but he's got to be making some form of verbal noise, lol. He also makes up words and repeats them over and over for his own enjoyment.
And as a bonus, when he's overtired I get the loud shrill screams and abrupt yells, just for fun...
#18 of 22 Old 01-25-2006, 10:09 PM

DS is 4.5 and is very loud. He's always talking or pretending to be a superhero rescuing someone/thing. He's got his own language that he talks to his 7.5 month old sister with.

About knock knock jokes. My dad has a book that he's had forever, it's the little black book of dirty jokes or something like that. Well ds asked what book it was and we told him it was a joke book. He hid it in his backpack last time we were at gpa's. We were in the car when I realized he's in his seat "reading" the book to me and laughing very loudly. Oh I hope noone passing could read the name of the book.

Leslie-mom to Carson and Madison :, Sage Tree :, and Buckbeak, Tonks, and Luna
#19 of 22 Old 01-25-2006, 11:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slabobbin
Yes - I don't think he means to be but he is very loud. I've wondered if he has a hearing problem.

actually they tested his ears last year to no avail, and his*teacher wants to test htem again this year ,bc when she calls his name he "doesnt hear her right away"... im like... ya bc he chooses not to....... we shall see, ill feel so bad if this test shows a problem....
#20 of 22 Old 01-25-2006, 11:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakBerry
And as a bonus, when he's overtired I get the loud shrill screams and abrupt yells, just for fun...

OMG DS DOES THIS TOO!!!! DRIVES ME .... he is always "scaring" dd or whatever.... im like ok.. just stop.... (btw, dd likes to be "scared" )
#21 of 22 Old 01-26-2006, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angela&avery
OMG DS DOES THIS TOO!!!! DRIVES ME .... he is always "scaring" dd or whatever.... im like ok.. just stop.... (btw, dd likes to be "scared" )

Don't you just love that? Especially in the car.
#22 of 22 Old 01-26-2006, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angela&avery
OMG DS DOES THIS TOO!!!! DRIVES ME ....
We have a screamer here too. She also taught her brother that screaming is fun sometimes. We have a neighbour across the street whose little girl, almost three, has always enjoyed screaming too. Play dates are very very loud. But the other mom loves to come over because she finally has somewhere that she doesnt feel like she has to say "shhhh' to her daughter or feel bad when they're obviously having so much fun yelling.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page