Nov-Dec02 thread for March06 - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 222 Old 03-17-2006, 03:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hey, i woke up yesterday thinking i had strep so went to the clinic and got antibiotics. so today is the first morning i have not felt hungover getting out of bed. what's impressive is that i have been so pathetic this week and month that my kids are playing just fine by themselves. can i keep that?
#62 of 222 Old 03-17-2006, 04:07 PM

My kids are sleeping. I'm sure they'll wake up soon to yell at me, but ... It's quiet now!

I'm half tempted to send Mike and the kids to his parents house without me...

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#63 of 222 Old 03-17-2006, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eilonwy
I'm half tempted to send Mike and the kids to his parents house without me...
do it Rynna! You need a break
#64 of 222 Old 03-18-2006, 01:20 AM - Thread Starter

I agree, Rynna, you could use a break. Mike and the ILs can handle the kids for awhile. You'll feel (slightly) more refreshed afterward.

Nothing exciting to say today. Happy Saint Patty's Day!

Leah coolshine.gif adoptionheart-1.gif homebirth.jpg

Hubby guitar.gif, ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, adopted dd (10) notes2.gif, dd (6) dust.gif, dd (1) femalesling.GIF & 3 foster dd's wheelchair.gif upsidedown.gif diaper.gif  

#65 of 222 Old 03-18-2006, 06:16 AM

I couldn't bring myself to do it, but BeanBean did ask to spend Sat. night with his cousins again so that he could wear his pink and purple pajamas (my family just doesn't get up in arms about stuff like that, especially if he won't be going out of the house). No backing down now!

#66 of 222 Old 03-19-2006, 10:30 PM

Owen has pink and purple jammies too. Silky ones. And a pair of Little Mermaid jammies that he LOVES--complete with a bow at the neckline.
#67 of 222 Old 03-19-2006, 10:48 PM

Bean's are Clifford pajamas, with purple sleeves and legs and back and pink trim & zipper. He loves them.

He was so funny, when we got to the ILs he said to his grandmother, "I have something in the car that might scare you a bit! It's purple." It was *hilarious*.

#68 of 222 Old 03-21-2006, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter

Zachary doesn't have any pink/purple clothing of his own, but he likes to dress up in Julianna's "pretties" (dress up clothes) and shoes.

We got a trampoline!!! The kids have been jumping on it every day except when it's raining. We have the safety net up around it, so hopefully no serious injuries will occur. The kids REALLY love it!

Hubby guitar.gif, ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, adopted dd (10) notes2.gif, dd (6) dust.gif, dd (1) femalesling.GIF & 3 foster dd's wheelchair.gif upsidedown.gif diaper.gif  

#69 of 222 Old 03-21-2006, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DecemberSun
Zachary doesn't have any pink/purple clothing of his own, but he likes to dress up in Julianna's "pretties" (dress up clothes) and shoes.

We got a trampoline!!! The kids have been jumping on it every day except when it's raining. We have the safety net up around it, so hopefully no serious injuries will occur. The kids REALLY love it!
I've read that the safety nets actually make trampolines more dangerous, because the majority of accidents occur in the middle when two kids slam into each other and the net makes it harder for parents to get to them; that, and there are a lot of accidents from getting caught in the net/parts that hold it. Just something to think about...

I've always wanted a trampoline, though.

#70 of 222 Old 03-21-2006, 09:49 PM

Ya Leah, I hate to say something bad about trampolines cuz I absolutley love them! (even tho I pee my pants when I jump, lol!) but in 7th grade, I was jumping w/ someone and the way we jumped at the same time caused me to sprain my ankle. Don't know anything about nets.

I'm feeling scared mama's, I've been bleeding today so I'm just praying and waiting, what else can you do, yk?
#71 of 222 Old 03-21-2006, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter

I am a bad mama... : I know that trampolines can be dangerous. Julianna's PT said it was a bad idea for us to get one. But we bought it from my brother for $100 fully assembled, so we got a good deal. I won't let them jump without me watching them, so I'll just continue praying for their safety.

Oooooohhh... Sarita! I know exactly how you feel. It could be nothing at all! So just take it easy and rest. I'm crossing my fingers for you, Mama... : (I think your intense nausea was a good sign that everything is "sticking"- I never got sick when I had my m/c and I just felt like something was wrong...)

#72 of 222 Old 03-21-2006, 10:10 PM

Leah-

Hate to be another naysayer but do you guys own your house? In MA you can't get homeowners insurance if you have a trampolean.

Sarita-

Thinking of you and sending good vibes

Amy
#73 of 222 Old 03-21-2006, 11:27 PM

Sarita I'm thinking of you

The place we are thinking about moving to has a trampoline. I'm so nervous about it. But I figured that was just because I'm nervous about everything latley.

We've had a really really rough week or so. We've had to put our trip off again. I'm extremely depressed and anxious and it sucks. Just so you know why I'm not around so much right now.....
#74 of 222 Old 03-21-2006, 11:47 PM - Thread Starter

I'm sorry, Carrie...

I had a trampoline when I was little and it was so much fun. I could do a front flip and back flip! (Can't anymore, lol...) My brothers hooked a mist system up in the trees above the trampoline and we'd get it wet in the summer. It cools you off and make you bounce higher! We'd camp out on it at night. We had a blast with ours. Anyway, our trampoline is here to stay now, at least until I get scared... Or if the foster care people say anything about it...

#75 of 222 Old 03-22-2006, 09:49 AM

Sarita- You are in my thoughts. I had bleeding so often during pregnancy and everything turned out fine. I hope that is the case with you!
Brightest Blessings,
Liz
#76 of 222 Old 03-22-2006, 09:49 AM

Hi everyone...Sorry I haven't really been around.
#77 of 222 Old 03-22-2006, 11:41 AM

Well, I finally have a minivan! Took them long enough. I haven't driven it yet, but I will today after I get the kids dressed. We never got out of pajamas yesterday, I just felt too lazy. I still feel lazy today, but I've got to get out of the house. I keep telling myself that walking around like crazy might help stimulate labor, and since what I want right now is for the baby to COME OUT, that's what I'm going to do. Besides, we just got an Old Navy, it might be stuffed full of super cheap clearance stuff.

BeanBean, bare naked, is telling me that it's too cold in here. Um, put some pants on, maybe you won't be cold.

I'm still feeling pretty crappy and kind of depressed, but it's more typical ninth-month stuff than "I'm cursed the entire universe is out to get me" stuff.

Bean's been a laugh riot lately, he says the funniest things... He's just freaking hilarious. Then BooBah tries to copy him and that's even funnier! : He's a neat kid.

#78 of 222 Old 03-23-2006, 12:02 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Hey, you guys will still let me post on this thread even though it's back to being Nov-Dec02 instead of New Three Year Olds, right? Tell me, do your 3 yr olds do these things, or are they just Lindy quirks?

1) She's constantly asking me to talk to her. And she doesn't mean a conversation where we both talk, she means a monologue from me. If I ask her what I should talk about, she usually tells me I should decide (but she'll complain if I pick something she doesn't think is interesting enough.) She was sick for several days recently, and didn't have the energy to entertain herself at all, so I nearly went crazy from hearing, "Can you talk to me?" every time a minute or two passed without me saying anything.

2) Instead of coming right out and asking for what she wants, she'll often just say something like "I like ham." And then keep repeating "I like ham" until I finally ask, "Are you saying you want some ham?" and she says yes. Or she'll sit next to her skates and say, "I'm near my skates." And I'll ask, "Does that mean you want to use your skates?" and she'll say yes. This one doesn't really bother me, but it seems really peculiar and I don't understand it.
#79 of 222 Old 03-23-2006, 12:03 AM

sarita...hugs and healthy vibes to you.

i've been asking dh for a trampoline for years. ironically, he had a trampoline when he was a kid. the question is really the ages and size differences and just depends on the kids, who you are expert on. most of the families i know have trampolines, and the kids that live with them tend to be safer and more respectful than the guest kids. they also learn that you can just enjoy the space of it and picnic and have semiprivacy, not necessarily bouncing as hard as you can all the time. the big bonus here is that they help minimize the mosquitoes with the netting. i would say that most people get more tempted to have them when the kids are older, like 5 or 7. like the big pools. and it would depend on how old the youngest one is. you yourself have to feel okay about it, and all parents are different with that. it's pretty easy to get through the net. okay, it would be hard 9 months pg to have to carry a 3y through.

my hundreds of bleahs have reached such a critical point that i am handing it over to my higher self or god. it's no longer my problem. i am a happy and capable person with a good life. say it ten times. i am a sexy woman. i am delightful company. i know how to have fun. i make pretty babies. i'm good at what i do.
#80 of 222 Old 03-23-2006, 12:27 AM

wow, so lindy didn't get these mannerisms from you or anyone else? she sounds like a really cool person. no, those are not every three year old things. being persistent is, and developing patterns to get what they want. regardless of whether they are three phases or not, if you have hit your own limit, then you have to do different things to alter the dynamic.

if you want her to phrase something, you may have to dictate it to her, like look her in the eye and say "lindy, say 'mom, would you please get me some ham?'" and have her repeat it before you get it (might take some practice and understanding of course). she may just need the pattern of asking the way you want to be asked. or she is testing how vague she can be. and anywhere in between. if you know she is playing you, you have every right to play back. if she knows how to ask and is in a regular frame of mind (not super hungry sleepy frustrated), you don't have to interpret for her. you can just say "okay, i'm glad for you" and go about your business.

and to offset the talking, maybe some books on cd or music can help you for a spell. sorry, i think that's too much control for her to have over you - telling you when to talk. been there done that and still dealing with it to a degree- them "letting" me make the choices and then them thinking they have veto power. they are too young to handle all that power. certainly she can ask for a story. and certainly you have a right to say - not right now. i'm still weeding a certain phrase out of my system which is generally considered polite - "LET me go get the phone, and then i'll help you". my kids are not LETTING me do anything!

all this is easily written though. ruby can really work all those womanly wiles and unfortunately or not, i have encouraged my kids to go for flattering and being sickly sweet over whining and pouting to get what they want.
#81 of 222 Old 03-23-2006, 12:40 PM

LOL...the first thing I thought of when I read about Lindy is that she's from Minnesota. Sounds like classic "Minnesota Nice" - never ask for anything, just make observations until someone asks YOU. (My DH and his entire huge family are from MN so I am subjected to this regularly.)

Have you ever just said "no, I can't talk to you right now" when she asks? I admit I've told S that I can't talk to her anymore and I have to go somewhere else if she's going to continue to talk (she says the same thing over and over and over and over, and when asked to stop says "but I'm not talking to you!").

Her vocabulary continues to explode...she just told her dad that two puzzle pieces were "similar". Yesterday she used "dissolve" in a sentence (about bath beads, no less). Three is just such a funny age...sometimes I feel as if I'm talking to a little adult, but then ten minutes later I'm explaining why she can't sit on the cat.

A writer/runner/thinker/wife with two daughters (11/02 and 8/05), one dog, three cats, seven fish, and a partridge in a pear tree... in Vermont.
#82 of 222 Old 03-23-2006, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy926
Have you ever just said "no, I can't talk to you right now" when she asks? I admit I've told S that I can't talk to her anymore and I have to go somewhere else if she's going to continue to talk (she says the same thing over and over and over and over, and when asked to stop says "but I'm not talking to you!").
Sometimes I say no, I can't talk, but it doesn't go over very well. It often makes her cry as if her heart is breaking. Or act even more clingy and whiny and demanding for the rest of the day. It works better to say, "I'll talk to you after I finish X," or "Uh, okay . . . um, let me think of something to talk about . . ." [long pause while I wait to see if she'll get distracted by something else and forget about me.]

Having to come up with a topic is one of the most annoying parts of the whole thing. It's boring for me to talk about the same stuff all the time, but it's hard to keep coming up with new ideas. She generally likes me to tell her about something she doesn't know about. (This morning's topic was prehensile tails.) She's only made the "talk to me" request once so far today, but she has asked me many times to talk to the baby about various things (mostly things she knows how to do that he doesn't.) She asks me to do that all the time, too.

So far no one's saying, "Oh, my kid does the same thing," so I guess these are probably Lindy quirks and not 3 year old quirks.
#83 of 222 Old 03-23-2006, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casina
my hundreds of bleahs have reached such a critical point that i am handing it over to my higher self or god. it's no longer my problem. i am a happy and capable person with a good life. say it ten times. i am a sexy woman. i am delightful company. i know how to have fun. i make pretty babies. i'm good at what i do.
im going to do this. right now.

sarita, love, how are you?
#84 of 222 Old 03-24-2006, 12:45 AM

Hey everyone! I've been MIA... busy moving time and time again. LIfe is an ADVENTURE. It's not the destination, it's the journey, that counts.

Sarita~ Been wanting to tell you Congrats! It must be nice to make a baby on purpose And also, hope that spotting wasn't anything bad.

Rynna~ sounds like the universe is sure testing you! I'm guessing that your new little bean is going to be quite the amazing little person, considering what is happening right now. Wishing you a beautiful birth, and peaceful babymoon.

Casina~ lovin your musings, as usual. You really have a way with words. Have you ever thought of writing a book? The mango fondler story was bizzare. I can't imagine. I would be so pissed off.

punk~ you are going to an intentional community, right? Good for you. I hope you have a wonderful time! My intentional community try did not work. THe woman I was renting the cabin from is/was a nutcase... more to the story, but I'll leave it at that.

I'm sad to hear so many of you guys getting sick. We haven't gotten very sick at all this winter, or all through the year. I think of illness as a symptom of other things, like keeping your boundries (immune system)... I read a book once called "Heal your body", by Louise Hay.... where I got that stuff. Anyways, I'm really not in that world of "oh, I'm sick, time to go to the doctor"... hope that doesn't sound judgemental I don't have much time at the computer. Haeven (3) & Samaya, whos almost 2, have *never* been to the doctor, except when *I* went there for my own purposes (asking about IUD). I take care of us with herbs, and just eating right every day (no refined sugar, mostly organic, closer to natural as possible...). I love helping people when they are sick... finding alternatives to allopathic medicine, but I know that I shouldn't give advice when it's not wanted. I have some ideas of herbs that could really help certain problems in kids.

well, I have to go. I have more to say, but that will have to wait for another time.
#85 of 222 Old 03-24-2006, 09:11 AM

Why is it that I just can't seem to remember to read/post here? I guess I get stuck in TAO all the time. heh heh.

Ds is going to a new pediatrician this morning. This doc supposedly enjoys working with children on the autism spectrum. I hope so! We shall see how he handles my son.

I am soooo glad it's Friday. I hope that ds's father is well enough to take ds out tomorrow. I really need a break. Haven't had a break in a week.

Gotta run,
Liz
#86 of 222 Old 03-24-2006, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy926
Three is just such a funny age...sometimes I feel as if I'm talking to a little adult, but then ten minutes later I'm explaining why she can't sit on the cat.
We have a similar thing going on here, of semi-age-appropriate emotional responses to ideas which should be well beyond the typical three year old... For example: Ever since the car accident, BeanBean has been extra neurotic about driving. That's typical, it seems perfectly normal to me. A few days ago, BeanBean went with Mike to do the WIC shopping. When they got home, BeanBean told me in a very concerned voice that daddy had failed to use his turn signals as they drove, and refused to let it drop until I promised to talk to Mike about it later.

The next day, I got into the minivan (we finally got a freaking minivan from the insurance company!!) with the kids. I went to switch lanes, and BeanBean *freaked*-- "Mamma!! You're not using your turn signal!! Why didn't you use your turn signal?!" It turns out that the signals are very, very quiet in this particular vehicle; BeanBean simply couldn't hear them over the stereo. I turned the music all the way down and told him to listen closely, and he heard them. He was still very tense and said, "I really wish those turn signals were louder." But can you believe he was on the verge of a panic attack about this?! Three years old, and he wants to know that we're using our turn signals every time we turn or switch lanes! He made it a point to show me his toy driving console-- "See how those turn signals are nice and loud, so everyone can hear them?"

He's been doing a lot of things like that-- noticing things that ought to be totally outside of his perspective/understanding, and then getting upset about them in typical 3-5 year old fashion. It's really something to deal with.

I'm still pregnant. I'm seriously ready to be finished.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffodil
So far no one's saying, "Oh, my kid does the same thing," so I guess these are probably Lindy quirks and not 3 year old quirks.
My niece did something similar when she started to talk; everything that she said was strange. She did that repetition thing *a lot* ("I like milk. I like milk. I like milk.") and she'd repeat snatches of phrases over and over again for no reason ("Sesame Street is brought to you by Danimals. Sesame Street is brought to you by Danimals. Sesame Street is brought to you by Danimals.") She never asked people to talk to her, though, she was much more content in her own little world and had a really hard time relating to other people, especially children. My niece, however, is a very "different" child; there was lots of other stuff going on with her (she's got Asperger's).

What you're describing in Lindy's behavior sounds familiar enough to me that I might advise you to do some research into ASD (Autistic Spectrum Disorders) if you haven't already and you're concerned about the behaviors, but not enough for me to say "Be worried! Call Early Intervention! Get all tense and worked up about this!" if you know what I mean.

#87 of 222 Old 03-24-2006, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eilonwy
What you're describing in Lindy's behavior sounds familiar enough to me that I might advise you to do some research into ASD (Autistic Spectrum Disorders) if you haven't already and you're concerned about the behaviors, but not enough for me to say "Be worried! Call Early Intervention! Get all tense and worked up about this!" if you know what I mean.
Oh, I don't think there's any chance of ASD. I admit I don't know all that much about characteristics of ASD, but Lindy does all kinds of stuff that I would assume pretty much rules it out - snuggling up with me and gazing into my eyes, talking a lot about the sad and happy parts of books and clearly understanding the emotions of the characters, lots of imaginative play, interactive play with other kids . . .

Also, we got involved with Early Intervention when she was almost 2, and they weren't concerned about anything other than her speech problems.
#88 of 222 Old 03-24-2006, 12:18 PM

i only have a sec -

Jaz! So very happy to see you!
#89 of 222 Old 03-24-2006, 01:48 PM

Daffodil, my son has been diagnosed with ASD (PDD/NOS). He, too, cuddles and looks into my eyes. He understands about feelings, etc.
A child can DEFINITELY be on the autism spectrum and still have those positive attributes.

Also, my ds had EI every week. They don't necessarily have much experience with ASD. I had 3 workers...None of them had a clue.

From what you have described, I would indeed go for an evaluation. Ask her pediatrician for a referral.

Hugs,
Liz
#90 of 222 Old 03-25-2006, 01:11 AM - Thread Starter

I'm doing respite care for a few days for a 1 yr. old drug exposed baby girl. She was exposed to like everything under the sun: heroin, methadone, coke, meth, presciption pills, etc. She doesn't eat by mouth at all, and she SCREAMS. But she's tiny and cute. Every time I walk out of the room she starts crying, her foster parents spoil her so much- they are wonderful AP parents, and both nurses. They are in Mexico for a few days with their almost 3 yr old son, taking a nice vacation on the beach. So, I've been busy here with my temporary little addition and all the usual goings on...

Well, Rynna, you sound like the sun is shining again in your world. I'm glad you got your van back. You'll be holding that baby girl of yours in no time, this is the hhhaaarrrdddeeesssttt part of pregnancy (at least, it was for me).

So glad you're doing well, Jaz!!!

Casina, you rock as always.

Sarita, I hope you are being good to yourself and taking it easy. Let us know how you're doing... Here's some Health Vibes:

Carrie, just sayin' hey.

And to anyone else I forgot to mention who's still keeping up with this thread.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page