Nov-Dec02 thread for March06 - Page 8 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#211 of 222 Old 04-26-2006, 08:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Have I ever mentioned that BeanBean loves taking medicine? It's really odd... he actually *asks* for it, and has faked sick to get Motrin. Despite the fact that he doesn't particularly enjoy going to the doctor, he has asked me to take him for antibiotics because he likes the taste of them. I've never caved to that one, silly kid.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#212 of 222 Old 04-26-2006, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eilonwy
Have I ever mentioned that BeanBean loves taking medicine? It's really odd... he actually *asks* for it, and has faked sick to get Motrin. Despite the fact that he doesn't particularly enjoy going to the doctor, he has asked me to take him for antibiotics because he likes the taste of them. I've never caved to that one, silly kid.
Christopher does the same thing! He loves the taste of medicine. I have to put it up way out of reach otherwise he tries to help himself.

I hope that Bella is doing better.

Loving Mom to DS (7) and DS (5).
#213 of 222 Old 04-26-2006, 05:52 PM

Oh, Bella's fine. I still don't think that she can see very well, and the more time passes the more concerned I become. I'm just waiting for her WCC next week to ask for a referral to a pediatric opthamologist, so that we can have her eyes checked. Other than that, things are pretty good. Only a mild case of thrush; that sucks, but I'm a great big funal jungle gym so I know that things could be worse.

#214 of 222 Old 04-26-2006, 07:09 PM

Things are super busy here, but I'm still thinking about you mamas Not much new to report. My grrls are doing great, and I'm enjoying them more as each day passes. I've been super stressed, and it's really been affecting me physically i'm finally taking some steps to take care of myself so hopefully that will help.

Looks like we will be hitting the road in mid June We have to be out of this house by the end of May, so we will stay with friends for a few weeks to save some money.

Anyhow, just wanted to post and say hi. I haven't had a chance to read every post lately... I did see Leah's pics though - thank you!! It's amazing to see how much the kids have changed in the last year, isn't it?

love and peace,
Carrie
#215 of 222 Old 04-27-2006, 12:42 AM

Hi everyone!

I've been off the computer for a bit so I'm still catching up on posts. I need some quick help w/ a bit of a dilema. We are currently living w/ MIL and she has a very old dog that is pretty ready to get put out of its mysery so to speak. I am going back home on Sat. and the dilema is: put the dog down before we get back and explain to razi about doggie heaven or do we wait til we get back so he can say goodbye or give her a blessing or something. I feel like it would just be better for it to happen while we are gone. If he were a bit older I may feel differently but DP thinks we should wait to do it til we get back. HELP! No matter what I'm going to be good about helping him go thru this but I'm afraid we will be making too big a production for an animal that isn't really ours (although we have lived w/ her for the last 6 mo) He already knows she's sick and could die soon (the dog). Anyway, the vet appt is Friday so I have then to figure this out. anyway, i know there are other details I could add but razi is askeing to go to bed (?) now. (Good thing he can't read yet, lol)

thinking about you all, sorry to just come post a question after not being around much.
#216 of 222 Old 04-28-2006, 12:40 AM

well, what's convenient for the adults and best for the doggie? razi is still young yet, and it will not be a big deal if he is not present. it would be different at 5 and older. it does depend on the kid and your energy for the situation as well. it also depends on how strongly your dp feels about it and your dynamic with him. putting a dog down is not easy to do and does take a bit of figuring out how to approach your child.

we put our dog down when the kids were baby 3 and 5, and it was confusing for them because he literally looked asleep instantly, and then the vet took him out to bury immediately which we did not watch because i felt it would have been not understandable. maybe we should have brought him home, and keep him until the kids really saw that he was dead and buried him ourselves if we were to have better understanding for all of us. i think the boys still wonder if we didn't just abandon him sleeping, and what would have caused us to actually decide such a thing. i try not to regret how it went, those bad bad days. i don't know a great way. it hurt us adults very badly to make that kind of decision at the time, so it was very hard to explain it to the kids. we did try to make it simple.

so i guess i'm recommending that you make it a mystery and fairy tale. like the vet decided to send it to doggie heaven. and tell him the dog was thinking about him when it left - no good byes, but a memorial after would do.

clay wants all the medicine too.

i think ruby grew an inch this week.
#217 of 222 Old 04-28-2006, 12:42 AM - Thread Starter

Personally I'd tell Razi about it when you get back... That's just what I would do for my kids. They've already lost a puppy to Parvo, their little friend Connor to an infection (lifelong medical probs that led to it), and my sister. They sort of understand death, as much as they can for kids this age. They think of heaven as a place in the sky where people are, and they don't ever come back. We've tried to talk about Jesus and stuff but they don't get it because they can't see it, so we don't go too much into detail. They absorb enough weird crap about death from what they catch on tv, so I don't want them to have to see it or imagine it in real life. I wouldn't want them to watch their doggy die... Anyway, just my two cents. ETA: My kids saw me bury two puppies who died ahortly after birth, and they thought they were sleeping at first until I explained it to them. They know the puppies are dead and gone, but they still point out the spot in the garden and say "That's where the puppies are sleeping." So maybe it would help if Razi did see the doggy resting peacefully? It's a tough call...

We get to meet the Wiggles on Saturday! It's Crystal's wish from The Make-A-Wish Foundation. The kids are very excited, and DH wants to get one of his guitars signed by Murray! (A guitarist.)

Zachary HATES taking medicine. It's horrible getting him to take his Prelone when his asthma flares up. It's a battle every time. Julianna likes medicine (she just likes to show off that she doesn't cry like Zach!) , and luckily Crystal and Kaylee have g-tubes so it's much easier to give medication.

So... Good luck with the dog dilemma, Sarita...

Leah coolshine.gif adoptionheart-1.gif homebirth.jpg

Hubby guitar.gif, ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, adopted dd (10) notes2.gif, dd (6) dust.gif, dd (1) femalesling.GIF & 3 foster dd's wheelchair.gif upsidedown.gif diaper.gif  

#218 of 222 Old 04-29-2006, 01:35 PM

its not easy explaining death to a 3 year old.. i tried to tell elwynn about a hampster that died(my foster sister's and he LOVED her.) and he just couldnt grasp the idea.. he said "maybe if we give her some food and water she will wake up..?!" but at the same time he didnt seem that bothered by the idea that she wouldnt wake up . im sure it would be different if it was someone he saw everyday..like his dog..

on the topic of medicine.. i'd rather hurl myself off a tall building than try to give elwynn oral med's.. the last time i had to was last summer when he had pnumonia. i was hellish. he screams and spits and cries and bites.. and no matter what you hide it in he KNOWS.. and even though he can somewhat understand the need for med's he wont take them. i feel the same way about it mostly but there are times when i think its necessary.. hopefully we wont need to be doing that anytime soon again. we mostly take homeopathic remedies and he loves herbal teas which we also use. fish oils and good nutrition for the most part keep us all healthy.

so our big news is that we are going on a trip.. the biggest trip we have taken ngaio on so far.. we are going to visit grama.. my MIL.. she lives about 6 hours from us.. we have to take the bus..uh.. but i think it will be fun anyways. im looking forward to going somewhere..anywhere..getting out of this city for a while will be good for me...us..ngaio isnt so much a wee babe anymore. i mean she is still small but she likes adventures and she is comfy NIP now so i guess there is nothing holding us back.. we are leaving sometime next week for a week or two.

jazz will we see you?

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#219 of 222 Old 04-30-2006, 02:02 PM

BeanBean knows that Mike's aunt is dead; he went to the funeral. Mike explained it to him, and I can't remember what he said but apparently it was well understood and relatively well recieved. Bean had been spending a lot of time with her, and he knew that she was very old and very sick (she died of cancer) for a long time, that she had been in a lot of pain and that she's not in pain anymore. He hasn't talked about her much this week, I think he's processed this well.

I want to take the kids to the state park today. Let's see if we can actually get our buns in gear..

#220 of 222 Old 05-01-2006, 02:10 AM

i gave up on the meds after two failed doses since she ain't dying or near it. my boys exponentiated the situation. i just want to forget about it, though i do feel like i have failed somehow after being extremely adamant for two days. i decided i must not feel she absolutely needs it or i would deal with it better.

i'm just feel like i'm not born with the easiest personality for being an everpresent mamma. i'm not even and predictable. i screech. i'm not a morning person. i'm not naturally cooperative like i've observed most people. i flinch easily which makes me even more fun to provoke.

today i read an article in a local free zine about high achieving second generation asian kids. it was pretty hard to avoid with the provoking cover "these kids are smarter than your kids". so today i've been reflecting on how i was raised, forming it into distilled sentences, mulling about my rebellious choices since i am technically a 'failed' american born asian child.....and i'm too old to be rebellious and i'm even a little embarassed now that being selfishly contrary cannot help but be part of my reasons to decide to parent the way i do. and then i think it would be or would have been so easy, just to follow the pattern i was given. does it mean i have less trust than the rest of the world? that i'm a control freak? well, i know that, but i've been taming that as i go.....if my kids went to school, they would appreciate me. so here i struggle daily believing this is better, and they just heckle me. the closest and prettiest example of what kind of mamma i am is mrs. weasley from the harry potter books. she will shriek and the kids know when to avoid her, but they do love and depend on her in the long run.
#221 of 222 Old 05-01-2006, 02:46 PM

: Thinking about you all and wishing you were here to help me with all this craziness that is coming from this transition...
#222 of 222 Old 05-01-2006, 03:59 PM

How bout a fresh new thread?

See you all here--> http://www.mothering.com/discussions...13#post5041013

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page