I think I found the answer... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-25-2006, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For what it's worth, I just wanted to share a method of dealing with my at-times stubborn and uncooperative 4 year old DS that has really worked for us!!

We were having lots of problems with him cleaning up his toys and being cooperative with getting ready for bed. The toy issue was especially getting out of hand. In a campaign for attention, I am guessing, he would dump all his toys out on the floor and then steadfastly refuse to pick a single one up. This resulted in increasing battles whereby I would try playing games to clean-up, taking away privileges, positive reinforcement, time-out, packing toys up, anything really.....Not much was working--even when I was helping him to clean-up--and I was at my wit's end with the situation. Then one day, when he was refusing to clean up something and I simply held him on my lap, gently but firmly, and told him that he could get down from my lap once he was ready to cooperate with picking up...it worked! He squirmed and struggled for a few minutes, and then gave in, and has been really helpful ever since.

Now he is so cooperative, occassionally I have to hold him for a few minutes, and remind him that I need his help and he can get down when he is ready, but not very often. And I guess, its not just the lap-holding that worked, but being more attentive, positive, and lowering my expectations a bit of how and what he needs to pick up has helped too. But, for the most part, the simple act of holding him on my lap has managed to quell the battle.

Just wanted to share in case this is a dilemma at your house too.
#2 of 6 Old 03-25-2006, 04:32 PM

My post sounded too judgemental. I decided better to erase it.
#3 of 6 Old 03-25-2006, 05:21 PM
Dar

I'm not comfortable with child restraint as a discipline technique, whether it's in your lap or a carseat or elsewhere. I can see it for safety issues, but not for simple power struggles.

dar

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

#4 of 6 Old 03-25-2006, 06:06 PM

I'm glad that you found something that works for you. This gives him attention, and time with you, and when he is done, he can take care of his mess.
#5 of 6 Old 03-25-2006, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

Dar, I appreciate your point of view. I obviously didn't see it that way until you pointed that out. To me it seemed like a better and more loving solution to hold him gently on my lap (I don't mean that I am holding on so tight that he can't move) than other alternatives, and certainly one that he has responded to the most. As Hayes pointed out that he is getting attention from me, but not the negative attention (as I see it) that he might otherwise be getting.

I have to ask, how would you otherwise handle such a "power struggle" situation in your house?

Thanks for your comments,
Erin
#6 of 6 Old 03-25-2006, 07:32 PM

First I'll admit that I came to the exact same conclusion as Dar. I probably didn't say it quite as eloquently, though, which is why I deleted my post.

Trying to be diplomatic about this, I think the problem is simply this... you are seeing it as a power struggle. Children of this age may be trying to see what their boundaries are, but it's not a power struggle. That's an adult point of view. Instead of physically restraining, I believe children feel more comforted to have a parent to gently show the boundaries without involving anything physical. I guess that's what I was trying to say in my first post, but I didn't do it as well last time.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page