Calling all creative people: child's room - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 04-28-2006, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello all. We're doing some decorating around here. The boys are getting a Spiderman room because the colors already match as well as the "stuff" in their room plus older DS LOVES Spiderman even though he has never seen the movies or anything---go figure.
So, DD already has a beautiful comforter, valance and lampshade in pink roses. Can't afford to buy all new stuff. DD says she wants a mermaid room. She loves mermaids, oceans, the beach, etc. She loves princesses too, which was my thought, but DD insists on mermaids. Since her little brother is getting a room that he loves, it seems fair that she should have the theme that she loves without mom talking her into something (We are also trying to wean them out of our room so much and want to create a place that is uniquely theirs and a place they love).

So, I'm wondering...can anyone think of a clever way to combine pink roses with mermaids? I mean, painting the wall an ocean blue just would NOT work, kwim?
#2 of 8 Old 04-28-2006, 01:16 PM

Actually, I think you could get away with blue water on the walls and use the pink as an accent color. Maybe paint a big rock coming out of the water with a mermaid sitting on it - and have a pink flower tucked in her hair.

Mom to Eoin (11/02), Eilis (09/04), Eamon (07/07), and Ellery (04/10)
#3 of 8 Old 04-28-2006, 03:09 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
You could get a fishing net to suspend from the ceiling with shells attached. What color are the walls now? You could go with a sea green instead of blue. Green and pink look nice together. You could also use a sand color. It would be neat if you could actually make a sand texture on the lower walls. If not wall paper, maybe sand and shells glued onto strips of plywood or something else removable. Or maybe you could get the same effect by sponge painting, which would be much easier. You could paint some sea grasses and add some roses to tie the old decor in with the new.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#4 of 8 Old 04-28-2006, 03:37 PM

I stenciled(sp) mermaids on my younger dds room. It was super easy and you can do all different colors. I found some cool stencils at Micheals and the paint was reasonable. Sea shells are an easy cheap accesory as well.
#5 of 8 Old 04-28-2006, 05:12 PM

Have you tried Googling mermaid and roses and looking for illustrations that incorporate the two ideas? There are some phenomenal fantasy artists out there and it could be great inspiration.
I also like the suspended fishing net idea. You could also incorporate some of the old glass fishing floats and some of the oversized pearls you can find at Hobby Lobby to give it a more feminine feel. Or you could try to find some mother of pearl or some other iradescent material to add more pastels to your color palette.
You could also use soft blue or sea green sheer curtains in the corners of the room to either add to the illusion of water and movement, or tied with strings of fake pearls and another string of jewel like glass beads to add a touch of royalty, like she was an underwater princess.

Good luck, it sounds like a lot of fun!
#6 of 8 Old 04-28-2006, 05:25 PM

From my experience with my dd (and other's opinions which were certainly right) I would make sure that whatever you do is easily changeable because kid's tastes change. A neutral color of paint and stencils or stick on wall borders & wall appliques are inexpensive and can be easily removed when your dd decides she likes cowgirls for example. In my case, I did my 3 yo dd's room in princesses at her request (in an effort to move her into her own room). Not only did she recently want me to change it to cowgirls, but she doesn't sleep in there. It's pretty and all but she didn't want to sleep alone in there. Needless to say, she did move into her own bed but it's in my room. So the princess room is now the playroom and office. Anyway...definitely give her a beautiful room but my advice is to keep it easily changeable.

Lisa mom to Gillian (7) : and three : :
#7 of 8 Old 04-28-2006, 07:29 PM

I agree with easily changeable being a good thing. My dd begged for a princess room at 3 years. She never slept there much after we did it. Now she wants a dog theme. I think dogs are more her style and she won't stop liking them for a long time but I still don't want to spend a bunch on decor again. The bedding she has is in really good shape. We are making the switch gradually.

I just flipped my dd's comforter over for the time being as it is solid on the back side. I covered her bedside table with a tablecloth made with a big paw print from complimentary fabric and attatched it to an sheet we already had. We can't paint our walls but we've hung up pictures of dogs that we printed out. I've grouped all of dd's stuffed dogs together on a shelf near her bed. Her lamp has a solid base and dd put a dog decal on it. I'd like to get/make a new lamp shade. We could paint paw prints or something on it.
I've considered buying or making a solid color cover for the comforter and using iron on transfers to put pictures of dogs or fabric paint to make paw prints on it. I might just keep the comforter solid and get/make dog themed pillow cases. Same with maybe a dog print valance.
Dd likes the changes we've already made.

Maybe you can replace, flip over or cover the most noticeable of the rose items if it is too hard to make it all work with mermaids.

Did you know there is a species of rose called Mermaid Just a bit of trivia.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#8 of 8 Old 05-03-2006, 12:57 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for your helpful suggestions!
I thought for a while about maybe doing a border in the original "little Mermaid" by H.C. Andersen, which would be adaptable to any color but I think it would be too involving. What I *think* now after thinking for a long time about it, is that DD is not actually visualizing what I think she is visualising about her room. Although she loves mermaids, she also loves flowers and gardens...SO, I think her room is going to be a rose garden, which will save us some dough, honor one of her likes, and be neutral enough to add other appointments that she likes as well, including mermaids, "jewels" and animals. Whew. Glad I got that settled. I think if given the choice, DD would prefer to make her room become the very ocean floor with brightly colored fish and mermaids swimming everywhere....but just not practical right now. I really didn't want to take away her choice to decide her own room, esp. since her brother gets to have what he wants, but I also gave him the two choices I thought we could do based on what he has already too, so I guess it's fair.
I guess the conclusion is to not try to blend the two at all in the decor, but to honor her preferences in less "global" ways.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page