Yay! It's May for the 3 year old tribe! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-19-2006, 08:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Leah, BeanBean and BooBah were introduced to ranch dressing by the IL's-- they absolutely adore the stuff. I've never been a big fan of salad dressings, left to my own devices I might have a bit of fat free italian every now and then.

They love veggies, though. They've really got great appetites. Last night I made dinner for my nieces and it turns out that they're much pickier and stranger than I knew. They eat ketchup on *something* at every meal, and BizzyBug refused, of all things, macaroni and cheese. They also ate about twice as much food as I was expecting them to eat. I've finally gotten to the point where I can make a meal for the kids, me, and Mike without having tons of leftovers, but I needed a whole different set of expectations for the girls.

You know something funny? My first child is in this group, my oldest. When it comes to three year olds, I'm learning right along with everyone else. In Bella's group, I feel like an old person, because Bella is my third child. I've already been through all this new baby stuff, I've done it all, I'm one of the experienced parents instead of a novice. It feels so strange to me, to have people responding to some of my posts the way that we all respond to Casina!

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2006, 08:31 PM

Leah

I'd like to know what an average days food in-take is for your 3 year old.

your ds's weight/height: (31lbs- 38 inches) Chris is 38 inches and 32 pounds

average breakfast: 1 frozen waffle and 1 glass of milk

average lunch: 6 chicken nuggets -or- whole pb&j -or- a corndog, and 1/4 cup carrot chips, a banana, or 1/4 cup of strawberries.

average dinner:Lately he has been not interested in eating dinner. He will eat a few bites of whatever we are eating and that's it.

snacks thru out?: cheerios, goldfish crackers, cheese stick, or some kind of fruit

**also, are there days when your ds does not eat at all? No

Loving Mom to DS (7) and DS (5).
Old 05-20-2006, 02:56 AM

Carrie, it was hotter than heck here today, like 103. Crazy hot!

Rynna, that is funny.

We had the visit today with Julianna's grandma. I think I almost had an anxiety attack on the way there but now, after the fact, I actually feel much better. Julianna had a fun time with her sister, brother, and uncle (10, 6, and 9). She was spinning around in an office chair and having a blast, and of course when it was time to go she didn't want to, so she said "I wanna stay here! I wanna go with Gramma Angie!", which thoroughly pissed DH off when I told him about it. But I actually loved that she said it because I know that all the talking we've been doing with her has made an impression, and she feels comfortable to really like these people. It made me feel better to know that she will be ok, even though it will be hard for ME. DH just needs to get into reality and realize that this IS happening and he has to deal with it and not make it worse by being angry and immature. Ugh. The whole situation sucks obviously, but what can you do, YK?

Leah coolshine.gif adoptionheart-1.gif homebirth.jpg

Hubby guitar.gif, ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, adopted dd (10) notes2.gif, dd (6) dust.gif, dd (1) femalesling.GIF & 3 foster dd's wheelchair.gif upsidedown.gif diaper.gif  

Old 05-22-2006, 02:54 PM

I have been really really impatient with the kids lately. So of course that makes them act out more. : I need to bake some more sugar cookies or something.

I think it would help if I actually had a day off every now and then! I'm not asking for much, just like maybe one day a week where I know I can get a break, YK? DH is really no help because when I do leave the kids with him I come home to a disaster area, and *if* the kids ate it was pure junk food, and none of the regular housework gets done so I have to play catch up AND deal with kids who are frazzled and out of sync. So it's usually more trouble than it's worth... Dh actually made the comment the other day that I should start going to Curves every morning again. I almost killed him!!! (The reason I stopped going was because of him not wanting to watch the kids!) So I've been doing the Windsor Pilates 20-minute workout video and I really like the results. Of course, I'm only doing it for *ME*.

Kaylee has an attitude today, so I better go...

Hubby guitar.gif, ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, adopted dd (10) notes2.gif, dd (6) dust.gif, dd (1) femalesling.GIF & 3 foster dd's wheelchair.gif upsidedown.gif diaper.gif  

Old 05-22-2006, 04:46 PM

here you guys are. I stoppped getting notified about new postings:

i'll catch up and come back to post

amy
Old 05-22-2006, 05:39 PM

mamas,

nak here... leah, we won't be able to go out there this summer, but it's for good reason! I'm sorry

dh met a guy and they really hit it off, he has a tree trimming business and is teaching dh. It is a good situation for all involved, we commited to stay here until the end of June though, so we will need to head out to Va straight away, instead of having time for detours

more when i have two hands!
Old 05-22-2006, 06:26 PM

I understand, punk. It's too damn hot here now until October anyway. I'm holed up in my air conditioned living room.

My stupid van keeps dying (probly a carburater problem), and the A/C only works if it's under 95 outside, which does me no good here in the desert where it'll get up to 115 in a month or two. So I will probably sell Vanna White for cheap to someone who can fix her up and give her a good home. Not exactly sure how I'm gonna get a new van since I already have a loan on the Yukon and we need it to pull the boat, but oh well...

I'm rambling 'cause I'm bored!

Old 05-26-2006, 02:51 AM

hey y'all. we're back from berkeley and i'm trying to save the feeling in me.....tho i guess i should unpack since it's after two days!
Old 05-26-2006, 02:56 AM

oh no! rynna, you found out i'm not wise after all!
it's amazing how much experience a mamma gets. i just wonder how i squandered my time as a supposed adult before then.

leah, i'm glad the visit went okay. and you can vent all you want, it doesn't bring me down and you need it. for me this is the best place for more open venting....

diet stuff lata.
Old 05-26-2006, 08:32 AM

Casina- How was the trip? Can't wait to hear. Did you make it Chez Panise? Berkeley Bowl?

I am leaving tomorrow for my SF weekend BY MYSELF! Wish me luck I am starting to stress about leaving GA.

Amy
Old 05-26-2006, 08:59 AM

Oh how I long for a vacation. I'd take ds with me but it would be so very nice to go someplace NICE and relaxing.

Things have been quite trying this month. Haven't even checked this thread in awhile.

Hope you all have a nice weekend.
Liz
Old 05-26-2006, 02:35 PM

Two days ago, I started homeschooling with Christopher and he is loving it!!!! He doesn't want to go back to school which is fine with me. Daddy would like him to go to public school for K-12 but we shall see.

I have a sore nose thanks to the fact that I fainted last night. I either smacked the wall or the floor on the way down. It is still sore this morning.

Loving Mom to DS (7) and DS (5).
Old 05-26-2006, 02:50 PM

Yikes Heather...Why'd ya faint?! How scary? Was there another adult around when you fainted? Hope you are ok.
Is there any chance that your nose is broken?

Hugs to you,
Liz
Old 05-26-2006, 07:06 PM

Hey mamas, how ya'll doing? Sorry to hear about you fainting Heather, that must have been scary. Hope you are okay. And that is awesome about homeschooling with Christopher

Casina, can't wait to hear about your vacation!

Have fun Amy!! I'm sure it will be nice to have some time to yourself, and you will come back refreshed and recharged for Georgia.

Things are feeling pretty surreal here, but the nice thing is how well I'm dealing with it all. I'm pretty proud of myself, which in a way feels funny, but oh well.

Have ya'll heard about the Unschooling conference in Irving, Tx Labor day weekend? It looks like a blast! We are thinking about attending. I lost the link but I have to find it if we decide to go! So when I do I will post it here if ya'll are interested.
Old 05-27-2006, 03:31 AM

what do you wanna hear? we want to live there and our little house equivalent is worth a million dollars. i expected it to be cool, but what we really found was that it was comfortable. it felt like we belonged there. we hit berkeley bowl, no chez panisse or sf. ended up hanging with friends most of the time. we stayed two blocks from shattuck a big street with amenities at a b&b with a beautiful garden, two blocks from our friends, walking distance from campus. even my kids didn't want to leave and had their own mourning fits, which surprised me. no one told me it was full of flowers and disgustingly large dinner plate size roses. we spent the last day driving hiking through a redwood park and then walked through a valley with wild elk to the point reyes national seashore which was about an hour and half away. i cried i had never seen anything so beautiful and had no idea anything existed in this country. i got sick of myself being so responsible and it was a hard adjustment for my dh to be around us all the time. it was a fantastic experience for all of us.

ruby is almost 41 inches and 30 lbs. she eats tons though she is sickly again and i can't actually report what it all is right now. there's never a day they do not eat anything - if anything, they pathologically masticate and think they are hungry when they are tired. i'm think in general that age 3 seems like a big drop in eating compared to toddling. my interpretation of the growth charts it loose - they are based on non breastfed, non whole food or vegan vegetarian children and the american population is just so diverse.

i think i can say she has had the whooping cough all this time. reed has had a sprained ankle all this time as well, so it made traveling interesting.

her new big request is "mommy! nail file" and she cleans her nails. one of her daily games now is sharpening pencils with the "shavener" and pulling lil bits of stuffing from her animals and mixing the shavings and marking the stuffing with lead in a container. go figure.
Old 05-27-2006, 10:51 AM

did you know that the WHO recently published growth charts which are based on breastfed babies?

Old 05-30-2006, 03:08 PM

Hi mamas, no one's been posting lately...

I am pms-ing BAD. Sore boobs and nausea and crazy bitchiness. DH hates me right now. I would say I might be pregnant but I've been taking the pill so I don't think so... But crazier things have happened... The subconsious powers of a baby hungry mama are stronger than hormonal birth control, right?

Old 05-31-2006, 05:06 AM

hey i'm here. just coasting along. i just keep shaking my head at ruby and her charisma.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:30 AM

Z and J's favorite thing to do before bed is to visit starfall.com. They love making the pumpkins and snowmen, and doing the alphabet letters. They are starting to recognize a few more letters, and I think this site really has helped. Julianna also loves tracing them in a a wipe-off preschool book we have. : I'm so proud of her. She is much more artistically talented than Zachary- he can barely makes scribbles and she's drawing people already. Her bio Dad is a good artist, so maybe she's taking after him. It's so interesting seeing their little selves unfold. Very beautiful.

Nice new smileys. I like these ones : and :. :

Old 06-01-2006, 01:54 AM

Ah, Starfall. Ain't it great?! BooBah kind of scares me, though. We don't even let her touch the mouse, but watching BeanBean is apparently enough for her to learn.

Today I found some really neat sites, including this one, which is full of short stories being read aloud. They're free to download; I found a whole bunch of stories like that today. And some reading assessments, too, all by following a link that someone posted in another of my regular threads. Lots of cool stuff. If only I'd had all day to sit and look at them... but I don't. Instead, I found enough information on reading fluency to make a deal with my mom: if I can get BizzyBug's reading level up at least one grade level in the next two months, I want her to promise not to send her back to school in the fall. Why? Because that'd be a heck of a lot more learning than she managed all year in kindergarten; her reading level hasn't increased at all, and if anything her speech is worse.

Old 06-01-2006, 02:27 AM

Public schools in upper middle class cities surrounding Phoenix are usually pretty darn good. BUT the public schools in the lower class areas are suckier. It's sad, but true. And in my rural hick town all the teachers are either inexperienced new grads or those with a criminal record. :

Cool link, Rynn.

Old 06-01-2006, 03:29 AM

here's a site my littles have always enjoyed http://www.uptoten.com/

for me, the hardest part of homeschooling is playing the stereotype of the non-job earning partner. i'm getting ready to get out of the game, at least emotionally, but it is more than that then anything dealing with the kids and schooling that gets to me. it's amusing since i used to be the irresposible half.

i've been taking rhodiola for stress the past week, one every other day. i think it is making an effect.
Old 06-01-2006, 06:54 PM

My dumb ass sister never went in to set up her random drug testing, so she has only taken the first initial test. She was clean for maybe 30 days before she started acting "weird". I know she is smoking meth again. Her car "got stolen" the other night and was involved in a hit and run accident, and I think she was involved in a drug deal gone bad, or actually sold it for drugs, or something strange like that. It "got stolen" the day after I told her I would give her my van because I took over payments on my aunt's Nissan Quest (she's moving). Too strange of a coincidene IMO. My sis left her DS with her DH overnight and still hasn't been back to the house or been in touch by phone at all today, so I KNOW something is up when she leaves her baby. I want to strangle her!!!

Old 06-02-2006, 03:02 AM - Thread Starter

I'm Baaack! Did you miss me?:

leah~ That really sucks that your sister is doing meth.. it's horrible, horrible stuff. They say it's basically made from toilet cleaner and lighter fluid, or some awful combination like that. the body gets so depleted using those toxic chemicals. I hope she can get out of that dark place she's in for the sake of everyone involved!

I'm watching the spelling bee... go canada! Those kids sure can spell, holy crap!

Do your 3 YO's constantly change their minds?: I *really* want to let her make decisions and feel empowered by that, but she just doesn't know what she wants half the time. I know it's a typical 3 YO thing, but I thought I'd ask what all your exp. have been with that.
Old 06-02-2006, 04:43 AM

leah....accept that how she is now is how she is now, if you can do nothing in action to significantly alter her situation. which i wouldn't be able to if i were you. in some circles it could be called as simply directing your energy to praying for her. please limit how much it hurts you, sweetheart!

jaza! yes i missed you!
here's my harsh welcome reply - she's got too many choices. narrow them to one of two choices to play or wear until she is comfortable just getting what she wants without your direction whatsoever, and move from there. she will not feel empowered if she feels overwhelmed, and that what changing her mind signifies. she does not want an undesirable outcome from her choices, as do all of us. think of it as - allowing her to be a happy free child, not as - you being controlling or stifling.
Old 06-02-2006, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tea olive
jaza! yes i missed you!
here's my harsh welcome reply - she's got too many choices. narrow them to one of two choices to play or wear until she is comfortable just getting what she wants without your direction whatsoever, and move from there. she will not feel empowered if she feels overwhelmed, and that what changing her mind signifies.
I have to agree with this. Most of the time when kids are having trouble making/sticking to a decision, it's because they have too many choices. This is one area in which BeanBean is more typical of other 3's, so I have to watch myself with it. I find myself forgetting that he is, in fact, three years old and capable of being overwhelmed. I limit things to three choices for him, when I'm thinking about it (or when his unexpected meltdown reminds me to do it). It really, really helps.

Leah-- Sorry to hear that your sister isn't doing well.

Old 06-02-2006, 02:55 PM

Yes, I missed you, Jaz.

I'm not getting myself worked up about my retarded sister. It's in CPS's hands now. I just don't want my sister to kill herself. She has serious medical issues but she looks "normal" from the outside. And she can never just use drugs or alcohol recreationally- she always has to go overboard. For her it's never enough until it's too much. It was one thing when she was a teenager and we could all look the other way and not really do anything about it. But now she is exposing her son to it (he's in the car when she goes to get it, she uses daily and he's around it), which is not cool in my book. :

DH took Z and J to the beach this weekend with my mom and dad, so it's just me and C and K at home. I'm actually bored!

Old 06-02-2006, 06:51 PM

Jaz, of course we missed you!! :

(((Leah))) I'm so sorry.
Old 06-02-2006, 08:59 PM

ugh, i just broke me rule and complained about dh to the kids. of course it just makes me look bad and ugly.
Old 06-02-2006, 09:05 PM

(Casina) I have caught myself doing that as well. It sucks. BTW, have you had time to consider if we should come and visit or not?

Things here are constantly changing and evolving. It looks like we are going to be gypsies for awhile...

User Tag List