Yay! It's May for the 3 year old tribe! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 156 Old 05-01-2006, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey hey!

Punk! Wish we lived closer to help you out some!

I've got a question...What do you all think of the Simpsons? I have been letting the kids watch it, but it has some really gory/mature scenes sometimes. Do you/would you let your kids watch the Simpsons, and why? My littlest grrl calls it sim-sims, so adorable, it's hard to persuade them to watch something else when they want to watch it. (it's a family thing, BTW, Dxp and I watch it with them)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 156 Old 05-01-2006, 09:07 PM

Sub'ing.

Leah coolshine.gif adoptionheart-1.gif homebirth.jpg

Hubby guitar.gif, ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, adopted dd (10) notes2.gif, dd (6) dust.gif, dd (1) femalesling.GIF & 3 foster dd's wheelchair.gif upsidedown.gif diaper.gif  

#3 of 156 Old 05-01-2006, 09:26 PM

I don't let DD watch the simpsons, right now she just watches Dora the Explorer pretty much and I'm trying to cut that back - we became much to reliant on TV during the end of my pregnancy and the 9 months it took to move us across country and finally get into our new house.

The simpsons is a tough one for us though because we are big fans ourselves! At 3 I'm not torn much, she's too young to even get the more childish jokes, but I grew up watching the simpsons, and I think they are hillarious, seems rather hypocritical of me to think its too much for my kids to watch. Of course the simpsons have gotten more adult as time has gone on. My solution anyway - we just ReplayTV our shows and watch them when the kids are asleep or otherwise occupied.

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
#4 of 156 Old 05-01-2006, 10:07 PM

subbing

no simpsons here but she does watch tv
#5 of 156 Old 05-02-2006, 12:43 AM

I used to watch The Simpsons when I was younger, but I haven't watched it in years. I wouldn't worry about it personally, Jaz. Kids pick up on a lot of things, you know they listen to everything around them, but I don't think they relate to that kind of dry humor until they're older, and by then they're ready to handle that kind of content. JMO.

My kids watch TV, and too much of it IMO. But once you get them hooked it's hard to get them off of it completely, lol. It's like an addiction. They watch mostly DVD's or VHS's (Wiggles, Barney, Dora, the occasional Disney movie) in their room while they're playing, or PBS Kids/Sprout. And Zachary plays video games with DH and is exposed to all kinds of crazy sh#t.

Kaylee has a been a PITA ever since Saturday when we saw The Wiggles! : The "honeymoon period" is now over, and she's officially comfortable showing us her tue colors. She is throwing tantrums, pulling out her trach, fighting sleep and being a crabby girl in general. I know it's tough going through such a huge transition, getting to know new people, getting on a new schedule, etc. But it has been tough on all of us as well and I hope everything starts calming down really soon! I have to meet her previous foster mother this Friday, and she supposedly has "emotional issues". I'm pretty nervous about it. (Kaylee has a doctor's appointment and it's doubling as a supervised visit...) I'm gonna park far away and try not to let her see my license plate. I may sound paranoid but I have to protect myself. What if she looked up my info on the internet and got my address and harrassed me or something???

Hubby guitar.gif, ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, adopted dd (10) notes2.gif, dd (6) dust.gif, dd (1) femalesling.GIF & 3 foster dd's wheelchair.gif upsidedown.gif diaper.gif  

#6 of 156 Old 05-02-2006, 01:57 AM

punk, what's going on???

i have to say that the simpsons are an absolute no here, as well as other animation comedy television intended for adults. being mean for laughs, violence for laughs....yes, they have seen many movies which that has happenned. but as a constant tv influence, i would say my kids would take it as easy permission. as for the mature content - what they can't understand, they don't, and when they do, they will. certainly some of us remember catching some of saturday night live under 13 and laughing at what we could. my kids watched buffy the vampire slayer dvds and it was fine, for the most part tho we did have more acting out at the time. of course, me and dh really wanted to watch it. i'm not even sure if it would be as okay now since reed is starting to be aware of the world outside of him.

i have battled with myself about media/information exposure for my kids - don't want them overprotected and unprepared, but don't want them crippled. i have to note that i HAVE observed kids more innocent than mine, and it IS a nice thing. we just have to find our own balance. this is not an age about persuading to do something you might think is better however. if you are fine with it, you are. if you are not, there are other things they can watch. if you want to watch it anyway, they are too little to keep from watching it.

in general i prefer contained movies to tv. libraries have lots of stuff. family favorite movies for us around this age are mary poppins, singing in the rain, my neighbor totoro (the old version if it really matters), kiki's delivery service - both miyazaki japanese anime movies we could not survive without. they are very rated g and sensitive and not at all divided into good guys and bad guys. we are really enjoying howl's moving castle which is the new one. my kids like the wiggles and blues clues.

leah, i'd do the same (hiding the car). transitions are something to deal with a moment at a time. the more consistent you are the faster it will go...good luck!
#7 of 156 Old 05-02-2006, 02:50 AM - Thread Starter

casina~ I have gone back and forth on the simpsons issue... the thing is here, that we don't have "T.V.", only movies or downloaded stuff... I recently bought some sesame street dvd's off the TP here on MDC... I was feeling like they need more "regular kids" stuff. All else that they watch is all non-disney, fraggles, fairy movies etc.... the sesame st. should be good for them. They have been watching too many movies with the "bad guy" and the "good guy":

Just trying my best, anyways.

We are moving yet again within a couple of days. So theres a lot of stress around here. Hopefully our new little home with a big garden will be a healing experience.
#8 of 156 Old 05-02-2006, 08:50 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I don't think either one of our children have ever seen the Simpsons. I never really cared for it much myself.

19 yr old
12 yr old
5 yr old
#9 of 156 Old 05-02-2006, 10:22 AM

Ah, the Simpsons! Hell yeah I let the kids watch; King of the Hill and Malcom in the Middle, too. Interestingly enough, when things get too gory/scary/whatever, BeanBean will get up and turn the tv off. He'll say, "This is not appropriate for me," or "This isn't a kid's show," and just turn it off. It's a bit irritating, really, but I know he's looking out for his little brain. Maybe I'm so relaxed about that sort of thing because I know that BeanBean *will* turn the tv off if it gets to be too much for him. Oh, and I'm quite shocked at the amount of stuff that he "gets" from television. Things that I'd expect to go right over his little head, he hears, remembers, and understands. Sometimes it's quite disturbing, and makes me feel guilty, but I'd lose my mind with no television at all. Speaking of which...

I'm getting the cable turned back on this month. I'm losing my mind. Oh, and the house next door is up for sale, rent-to-own, and Mike and I are investigating whether or not we could swing it. It would be very freaking cool to live in a house like real people, to be able to paint the walls and such without asking permission. I'm excited just thinking about it! The place is huge, though, and may well be out of our budget even as a rental. We'll see!

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#10 of 156 Old 05-02-2006, 01:03 PM

Subbing.
Man, I wish I had cable. Without cable, I can't even get regular channels to come in. I have to sit there holding the antenna and constantly move it around to make sense of the fuzz. boohoo.
I would get cable...if I didn't owe them money from last time. LOL.
I like cable for the great childrens shows...(um, and the decorating shows. LOL).

Ds has been quite a handful. Ever since he turned three, he's been difficult.
I'm really going to work on ds dressing/undressing himself. That is the major thing in the way of his completing potty learning right now.

Also going to start working on calendar stuff (days of week) and also lots more nature related stuff.
He already knows his planets...amazing kid. LOL.
Next, we'll start the states.

He'll be starting preschool (boohoo) in September so I need to get him ready for that. He is clueless when it comes to playing with other children.

Ok, I'm babbling.
Ciao for now,
Liz
#11 of 156 Old 05-02-2006, 03:49 PM

The Simpsons-my dh used to let ds1 watch in when he was off on Sundays. I wasn't too thrilled with ds watching it, but let it go. I think the commercials got me more than the show with the Simpsons. Now that dh is working Sundays again, ds1 doesn't watch it anymore. When I'm home without dh I don't turn the tv on at all, unless it's for ds1 to watch a show or video. I've been happy to cut it down to one show/video a day now that the weather is nice, but it had been much more when ds2 first arrived and when the weather was worse.

lizc-I hear you on the dressing and undressing. Ds1 pretty much potty learned on his own. I didn't push anything and when he was ready, he did the whole deal. I still put him in pull-ups at night, but he has been dry at night since shortly after he decided to wear underwear. Is he really trained if he doesn' pull his pants up, though? He pulls his pants down just fine to use the potty, but will generally hop to wherever I am to have me pull them back up again. He is capable for the most part, but he just doesn't do it most of the time. I contribute that in some part to the arrival of ds2. I guess I don't really "work on" much, though. I do sometimes tell him what I'm doing and try to get him to help when I dress him, but he really just isn't interested.

Marie-Mom to two boys and a girl.
#12 of 156 Old 05-02-2006, 04:34 PM

My DS can't usually pull his pants up either. But he pees standing up and he can wipe after he has a BM, so I think that's pretty cool. I know some kids who are way older and still can't wipe themselves, lol. DD can usually pull her pants up, but if she takes them all the way off she'll end up putting her panties and shorts on backwards (shoes are always on the wrong feet, also). She is still in Pull-Ups at night, and she's wet more often than dry. She just doesn't feel it when she's sleeping, I guess. It's just easier to keep buying the Pull-Ups than to fight about it with her. She'll get it when she gets it, I suppose.

I've been using sposies on Kaylee. : I haven't even attempted to pull the FBs out of the closet. I can't even keep up with the laundry for the five of us (I make DH do his own), so I have no idea how I could keep up with the diapers too. It's like CDs have lost their appeal.

#13 of 156 Old 05-02-2006, 04:47 PM

subbing... hope to be back soon!
#14 of 156 Old 05-02-2006, 05:25 PM

subbing! thanks for starting a new thread jazz.. good luck mving. i think we are going to be up there at the same time you are moving.

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#15 of 156 Old 05-02-2006, 05:38 PM

i let elwynn watch it sometimes.. if it is violent i distract him..cover his eyes or turn it off.. there havn't been that many times that ive had to do that but we watch it maybe once a week if that. ive been trying to not let elwyn watch much tv because i notice it greatly increases his negative moods.. he gets more spazzy and more gurmpy if he watches tv..even a little bit. sometimes in the evening while im making dinner i let him watch the bearenstien bears or something equally gentle but no more morning tv. it was making a mess of our days. i wish that we were a TV free house but i admit that i enjoy a few shows sometimes and sometimes i need to veg out and get away from the world and ngaio has started to grab at my book if im reading & nursing

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#16 of 156 Old 05-02-2006, 05:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Lindy just recently learned to pull her panties and pants up - and even put them all the way on (as long as I make sure she doesn't have them backwards.) She sometimes wants me to pull her pants up or down for her, though. In my mind, dressing and undressing are completely separated from potty learning, since we did EC and she was using the potty long before she could do anything herself except the peeing and pooping part.

I think I'd let Lindy watch the Simpsons. I'd be more concerned about the fact that she was watching TV than about the content of that particular show. We don't have cable, so we only get one or two fuzzy channels, which means we don't normally watch TV, and I think that's a good thing.
#17 of 156 Old 05-02-2006, 05:55 PM

Well, according to many preschools, if a child can not pull up (or down) their pants when going to the bathroom, they are not considered fully potty trained.
(I've been in a teacher in many many different schools. )

So, to me, it's all connected.
Ds knows that he needs to use the potty/toilet but if he can't manage to get his pants down, he'll pee his pants. Therefore, would not be considered fully potty trained.

At least I have the summer to help him. heh.
#18 of 156 Old 05-02-2006, 06:33 PM

We live in the boonies and if we didn't have sattelite we'd get no reception at all. So we have about 200 useless channels on Directv. : I do admit that I love watching Court TV or the news in bed after I put the kids to sleep. And I LOVE having Tivo because when I see a show I want to watch I can just program it in and watch it when I have the chance. Very helpful with children.

But, yeah, I could definitely watch less TV, and the kids could too...

#19 of 156 Old 05-02-2006, 09:39 PM

I LOVE TIVO. I actually watch much less tv since I've had it. I never watch commercials so I don't ever know about new shows. Basically if I didn't already watch it before I got tivo I don't know it exsists. (except for Battlestar Gallactica) My favorite show (west wing) has only 2 episodes left EVER and I am already in withdrawl.

The funny thing about tivo and GA is that she doesn't understand when we are somewhere else (the beach house for example) that when she wants to watch a particular show it might not be on.

GA watches would I would call too much tv. She watches about 30 - 40 minutes in the morning while I get us ready and out of the house. DH leaves before we even wake up and I don't now how I would di it without the tv. She likes doodlebops, wiggles, caillou, zabomafo, bear in the big blue house and lawrence welk She started watching that last summer with her grandfather every sat night at the beach noe she loves it. The past few days though she has requested 'the GA' show' old videos of her!

Amy
#20 of 156 Old 05-02-2006, 11:21 PM

So.. Decembersun, how does one go about teaching a child to wipe? My ds stands up to pee, too, but I haven't even attempted to have him wipe himself after a poop. I guess I just don't want to deal with insufficient wiping. I hadn't really thought to try and teach him yet, but he is going to a two day a week preschool in the fall. I suppose he'll have to be able to wipe himself if he happens to poop while he's there.

Marie-Mom to two boys and a girl.
#21 of 156 Old 05-03-2006, 12:55 AM

Actually I didn't teach my DS or DD... They just started doing it themselves, and I'd "check" after them and they seemed to have "gotten everything". So they kind of taught themselves, which was nice. After they go to the bathroom I go through the usual questions: "Did you wipe? Did you flush? Did you wash your hands? Did you turn off the light?"

#22 of 156 Old 05-03-2006, 01:16 AM

subbing too...

So the dog is still around. As long as she's wagging her tail, I don't think MIL is going to let her go.

Leah, since you now have another foster child, does that mean you can't have another birth child? Is that something you've thought about any more?

I'm back home and really hoping that will help Razi calm down a bit. He was a serious maniac while we were gone. He learned so many things I wasn't ready to have him know about. (gotta love cousins) Now he's all about playing "bad scary" this or that. guns, gender stuff (my nephew was making fun of him for wearing a hello kitty ring) He also thru the hugest tantrum in the very looong security line in the airport. He was screaming at me "I'M GONNA SPANK YOU!" over and over. I don't spank him so I don't know where he got that but it was rather embarracing (although I imagine most of the people around me were wondering why I didn''t do it then, lol. I actually started crying cuz I didn't know what to do. Ya, I think we'll pass on air travel for awhile, .

#23 of 156 Old 05-03-2006, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abranger
I LOVE TIVO. I actually watch much less tv since I've had it. I never watch commercials so I don't ever know about new shows.
The funny thing about tivo and GA is that she doesn't understand when we are somewhere else (the beach house for example) that when she wants to watch a particular show it might not be on.
This is true for us too - I watch less TV because of it. I find things that I would probably have watched if I had flipped to it channel surfing, when I record them I'm less likely to watch - I don't pick up new shows unless I really make an effort to figure out what I want to watch and I love not feeling the pressure to watch the show right now or today or this week, etc if I don't want to, and since there is no pressure to watch right now, I'll go weeks nad then lose interest in a show too.

Also the same with DD - she is used to my being able to turn on her favorite show at any moment (when I agree to do it), so she doesn't understand that every TV doesn't turn Dora on! It's good for her in the sense that we've kept hte number of shows she has ever seen very small (since she doesn't watch a show on live TV and end up watching the one after it) but at the same time, its possible to watch the same show over and over.

We just moved from my parents house where we were temporarily living during our cross-country move extravaganza and so we haven't had her watch any TV at the new house and I am going to try to keep it that way.

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
#24 of 156 Old 05-03-2006, 02:30 AM

Oh, I'm so sorry, Sarita!!! I'm sure that whole airport scene was especially tough for you with your fragile pregnant body (and all the hormones)! s, babe...

Zachary threw a tantrum the other night at a restaurant. I knew he wasn't feeling well (he had a cold), so it was kind of my fault, but I thought that sitting outside by the fountain would distract him enough... But he made us specially order a quesadilla on a blue (corn) tortilla, which he then refused to eat. He was loud and generally rude the whole time. He even broke a plate, and I could tell that he had dropped it completely on purpose! By this time Julianna had joined in. Instead of killing them I took them out to the car and we waited for Crystal and DH to finish up. I was so embarrassed taking these two screaming little demons out to the car, I'm sure everyone thought they deserved a good spanking!

As for having another baby... I'd really love to. But I know that realistically right now there is no way I could maintain this household AND be on bed rest (or even just "take it easy") to avoid constant contractions. There is just no way that DH could take on any more responsibility. And since he barely does anything around the house right now, that could be a problem! When I was pregnant with Zachary I had contractions every 5-10 minutes from about 27 weeks until 36 weeks when Zach was born. Right around 32 weeks I couldn't even get up to go to the bathroom without having back-to-back contractions, and I thought I couldn't even push at all because it felt like he would fall right out! So, at this extremely busy time in my life with so many kids who need my attention, it's just not feasible for me to be pregnant again right now. I'm hoping I can have just one more baby of my own *someday*! Because if I don't hold another newborn baby, fresh from my own body, I think I might die...

#25 of 156 Old 05-03-2006, 04:31 AM

sarita: 's momma.. that sounds like a whole lot to deal with. its amazing how kids know when we are at our weakest. and test us to our limits.. it's those times when we learn as parents that we can deal with anything by taking a deep breath..even if it hurts we come out knowing more and loving them more than we did before. or we end up losing it but picking up the pieces and carying on anyways.. ive done both.

leah, i really hope that you get to have another baby one day. you really really deserve to have that baby! you are such an amazing momma and person. 's to you for dealing with screaming kiddos too.. its SO hard when you have 2 of them.. its like its 5 kids rather than two when they both start wailing. im scared to go out of the house without another adult sometimes because i feel like i just cant handle elwynn and his extreme 3 year old moods and ngaio the always hungry, needy baby in the big scary world..

Quote:

#26 of 156 Old 05-03-2006, 10:07 AM

Ah, all this talk about having another baby. It makes me so sad inside. I'm a single older (39) mom and I just don't think I'll be having another child. There's no man in sight and my finances are...well, non existant.
I just can't believe that I won't be giving my ds a sibling and/or that I won't have a daughter like I've always envisioned.
Great, now I'm all emotional.
#27 of 156 Old 05-03-2006, 10:44 AM

Hi everybody! Can I join your club?
I have a 3 1/2 year old and a 20-month old...and kind of have the itch for another one. Dh is done though...he grew up as the youngest of 8 and never felt like he got enough of anything, whether it was food, attention, whatever. Part of me would love another baby and at the same time I feel like I might lose it if I do. Both of mine are very sensitive and demanding, and sometimes I wonder how I got through the last 2 years! some friends of mine have said that most women always have half a wish for another baby, no matter how many they've had! What do you think?

Marja: consensual-living, unschooling, piano-teaching, doula and mom to 3 creative, independent people:
DD, 8, DS, 6, and Baby DS born July 1, 2010 Married to DH for 10 years!
#28 of 156 Old 05-03-2006, 07:45 PM

Hey everyone, I haven't read all the posts here, but I scanned and I have a few minutes, so i thought I'd try to catch ya'll up.

What's going on here... where to start? It's a really emotional time for us. Going through all of our things deciding what to take, what to sell, what to get rid of... We are having our final yard sale mother's day weekend. I'm selling my aquariums and the kids' swing set on craigslist right now. Started packing up what we are taking with us, which is only what we can fit in the truck. Dh is working like a mad man trying to make some cash so we can pay off our bills and save money for the trip. Our rent is past due because the people who were suppose to pay him for a job he did weeks ago haven't paid him yet. I'm having a lot of trouble wiht that because when he took the job, something just didn't feel right in me about it. I tried to tell him that they were going to take advantage of him, that I was afraid they weren't going to pay him, but what he heard was that I don't trust him. Which is so not true. I totally trust him, but I know that he is a nice guy and that others sometimes take advantage of that. So now, what I said seems to be true, he finished the work and they have been avoiding his calls, emails etc. They said they put a check in the mail for him last week, when he called today she said she would Western Union the money, but just now she emailed and said she put a check in the mail yesterday and would not WU the money because of the fees. Did i mention we need this money to pay our last months rent here, which is now over due because of this :censor ARGH!

I'm stressed and tired, and of course the kids are totally needy right now because I'm spread so thin. I'm lonely and isolated as we have one vehicle which dh needs for all the various odd jobs he's doing. I feel overwhelmed.

We are out of here at the end of May, but need to find a place to live for a few more weeks while dh works and we save that money. I have no clue where we will go. Dh has some good jobs lined up allready. We can't stay with my mom because of issues with my step dad. Our good friends are also moving that week. Our other good friends I've been too scared to ask because if they say no I have no idea what we will do.

So it's like Leah's siggy says, we have all this hell to go through now, but hopefully by mid to late June things will be a whole lot simpler. We will head out East to the IC I talked about earlier. I'm excited about the trip, although I know it will be a lot of work. (We plan to camp for most of it) I think it will be a time of healing for all of us, which after this year we really need. I think this has been one of the hardest years of my life. The fiasco with MIL after Aubrey's birth opened a lot of wounds I had worked so hard to close up. The stress and uncertainty that has plagued the last ten months have really aggravated my depression and anxiety issues. So this whole thing that I'm doing right now, it really feels like I'm purging all that is unnecessary in my life and getting down to the basics, getting back to my family.

Oh and yes M. watches teh Simpsons, but I fast forward through the Itchy and Scratchy stuff and I don't let her watch the Halloween Episodes. She had been pretty much tv free until recently, I need the tv right now though She really likes King of the Hill too, which I prefer since it's way less violent.

Sarita, I'm sorry about the airport thing. I think I would have cried too and I'm not pregnant. : and Fern, I totally know what you mean about not wanting to go out alone with your two littles, I feel exactly the same way sometimes.

Mariah has had some tantrums lately too, I think some of it is developmental as she has had some major leaps in language skills lately, and some of it is stress related.

Anyhow, gtg, much love and peace to you all mamas
#29 of 156 Old 05-03-2006, 09:01 PM

i have some new pics of the babe.. www.picturetrail.com/babyngaio

Quote:

#30 of 156 Old 05-03-2006, 09:07 PM

beautiful pics Fern, and i love the longies.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page