3 yr old Tribe for June! - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 108 Old 06-24-2006, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My ds is nowhere near ready for night time potty learning. Shows you how different all children are.
#92 of 108 Old 06-24-2006, 11:06 PM

Desmond weaned (with a little help from me) about two months into my pregnancy with Gavin. I was happy with the 26 months of mama milk that he got and I was in pain and getting resentful of the few nursing sessions he had left by the time he weaned.
As for potty learning, I decided not to push it at all or even hint at it until after Gavin was born. At one point, Desmond showed interest in wearing big boy underwear. After a couple of accidents, he had it down. Night time just happened for us, too. I kept him in pull-ups at night for a long time, but he was never wet in the morning and then one day he just said he wanted to wear his underwear at night. If he has to go during the night he wakes me up and has me take him to the bathroom. He used to wake up crying but that woke Gavin up and turned into a fiasco. Luckily he understands now, to just come and get me quietly then I can lay down with him while he goes back to sleep. Now he is into his no underwear at all stage. I have so many other things going on with him these days that no underwear is not something worth battling over. Anyway, I keep waiting for a backslide in the potty business, but so far, so good.
Where did I see that "I love 3 1/2" or somesuch post? I never got a chance to respond there. I am having a rough time with this age. Desmond was so easy before, now that I think of it. He was (and still is) very energetic and non-stop before, but he was not defiant like he is now. He is still pretty dependent in a lot of ways, especially since Gavin was born, but he tries to test the limits now, while still wanting me to help him eat and get dressed and such.

Marie-Mom to two boys and a girl.
#93 of 108 Old 06-24-2006, 11:11 PM

Oh, Happy Birthday to your little one, Rynna!

Gonna go look at the pics now...

I am obsessed with My Space. : Check it out if you want...

Leah coolshine.gif adoptionheart-1.gif homebirth.jpg

Hubby guitar.gif, ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, adopted dd (10) notes2.gif, dd (6) dust.gif, dd (1) femalesling.GIF & 3 foster dd's wheelchair.gif upsidedown.gif diaper.gif  

#94 of 108 Old 06-24-2006, 11:20 PM

OMG- your girls are so cute, Rynna!!! So, Boobah had 3 candles on her cake? She had 2, with one to grow on? What do you think about Bella's eyes now? Thanks for sharing the pics.

Hubby guitar.gif, ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, adopted dd (10) notes2.gif, dd (6) dust.gif, dd (1) femalesling.GIF & 3 foster dd's wheelchair.gif upsidedown.gif diaper.gif  

#95 of 108 Old 06-25-2006, 01:20 AM

We are having some peeing issues with Chris as well right now. He has been day trained since he was 2 1/2. Lately though he waits until the last minute to go and pee and he is doing a serious potty dance. He also having some issues with refusing to pee at certain places and will hold it until he wets himself. At night and naps we put him in pullups. The child slept through dynamite being blasted behind our house. I wet the bed until I was 6 and DH the same so we aren't pushing the night training right now.

Loving Mom to DS (7) and DS (5).
#96 of 108 Old 06-25-2006, 02:19 AM

rynna~ what a sweetie! she reminds me of my sa-sa.. her birth day is in a couple of weeks *2*...

and bellas fat little cheeks are so adorable!
#97 of 108 Old 06-25-2006, 02:25 PM

GA was totally trained last summer but has never been night trained it isn't even close. She wakes up with a soaked daiper every morning. We have resorted to disposable 2nd generation dipes b/c she is outgrowing most of her wraps and I am not interested in buying more at this point. She has no interest at all. When I try to get her to pee before she goes to bed she says she WANTS to pee in her diaper:

Amy
#98 of 108 Old 06-25-2006, 03:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Lindy was actually reliably dry at night long before she was reliably dry during the day - weird, but convenient. Our big nighttime issue is that nowadays she only wants to sleep with me, and not just in the same bed but squished as close to me as she can get (though I can generally move away once she's asleep.) I wouldn't mind so much if it weren't for the fact that there's a baby in there with us too, so it doesn't leave me a lot of room - and in the summer, it's hot! After we got her a toddler bed last summer and put it right next to my bed, she started going to sleep there almost every night, and sometimes stayed there all night and sometimes moved into my bed at some point. But a few weeks before the baby was born, she stopped wanting to sleep in her bed at all. Occasionally as we're going to sleep she'll say she wants to sleep there and will move into it for five or ten minutes, then decide she wants to move back with me. She did that last night, and as she was moving back to my bed she said, "I wish I had my own room." Yeah, right.

Perhaps not coincidentally, she gave up nursing around the same time she gave up sleeping in her own bed. I thought there was a good chance she'd want to start up again after John was born, but she didn't.
#99 of 108 Old 06-25-2006, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffodil
Lindy was actually reliably dry at night long before she was reliably dry during the day - weird, but convenient.
This is Bean as well. I guess I'm pretty lucky in this respect, BeanBean is reliably dry 24/7, and only calls me to wipe his behind for the yickiest poops or when he's sick. In fact, BooBah's been pooping and peeing in the toilet a lot lately, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if she was out of diapers during the day within the next month or so. She's got a more difficult situation at night, but occasionally she wakes up dry so it's all good.

And here I thought that BeanBean had been late to get out of diapers 24/7 because he was only a month short of his third birthday. : Just goes to show that I have no idea what's normal...

Bella's seeing an opthamologist this week. Her eyes still worry me a fair bit, even in pictures you can see that she's cross-eyed. : I love her chubby cheeks too, though. They're so kissable! :

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#100 of 108 Old 06-25-2006, 09:01 PM

i'm repeating something i've said before: my reed was completely in diapers until after his 4th birthday, when my dh basically shamed him out of them during the daytime. clay trained at the same time. i can't remember when nighttime ended, probably less than a year later. i just remember he was very huge already. i'm not sure what this says about me as a mamma though - yikes!
#101 of 108 Old 06-26-2006, 03:02 PM

Glad to hear I am not alone with the potty issues! Matthew knows how to do everything, has good bladder/bowel control, but just does not WANT to. I think he sees it as an area in his life he can control, so he is doing just that. I am hoping the take the pressure off and reward if he goes approach will work. I figure he was later to do a lot of things, (walked at 16 months, did not really talk till past 18 months, etc.) so maybe potty learning comes later too? He is a very cautious kid by nature (like his mama), and was afraid of the toilet till he turned 3, so has been working really at this for 6 months now.

Jill stillheart.gif Chris (7/96), mommy to 3 sweet redheads: jumpers.gif Matthew autismribbon.gif (12/02), Michelle (8/05) and Marissa (1/10). Nursing since 2002.
#102 of 108 Old 06-26-2006, 07:45 PM

Rynna- Julianna had a lazy eye for awhile too. She eventually grew out of it. I hope Bella's eyes are ok...

#103 of 108 Old 06-26-2006, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter

#104 of 108 Old 06-26-2006, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillmamma
Glad to hear I am not alone with the potty issues! ... I figure he was later to do a lot of things, (walked at 16 months, did not really talk till past 18 months, etc.) so maybe potty learning comes later too? He is a very cautious kid by nature (like his mama), and was afraid of the toilet till he turned 3, so has been working really at this for 6 months now.
Zachary walked at 15 months, and knew his colors by 18 months. He enjoyed pooping on the pot (while reading books) at 15 months, but refused to pee in it until 2 1/2. He'd do it on accident if he was sitting, but he wasn't gung ho about giving up his diapers. It was a very gradual thing. Nights he just stopped all of a sudden- I put him in underwear one night and he's been dry ever since. It just goes to show how different every kid is. Personally I wouldn't worry until age 5. I think 3 and 4-ish are still the last years of babyhood, and they're hanging on to it by a thread. So am I, I guess... But they'll always be our babies in a way.

#105 of 108 Old 06-26-2006, 11:42 PM

i try to go easy on myself and the kids about the toilet because i know two boys that were put on suppositories because the control issues got so extreme.

ruby tried to play monopoly with the boys and it's really funny. i mean she does actually play she rolls the dice and counts the spaces with me and i buy her some houses.

i'm still up in the air about the whole sharing/private possession thing. intuitively i feel that if they get their own spaces they will not be so possessive, but it doesn't make sense rationally. they don't have their own rooms and we bedshare. i've been seriously getting ready to divide up the 10 by 20 room that they sort of play in. meanwhile my dh is makes loud noises abt how he doesn't want to live here, so i'm again hesitant about making changes, though that doesn't work out for me even though it would make sense.

i keep getting rid of stuff and poof! more stuff comes in. that's what i get for telling my kids exactly that, since they are so upset when i get rid of things and rearrange the house. a homeschooling family we are casually friends with, came back to sell their house and have tons of stuff to give away (since now they live out of state in an apartment). i am lucky i got out of there with not much more than two giant fishtanks, since i have been thinking abt getting a big one already. i'm still very sad i decided i could not take their beehive. i really really wanted it, but decided it was too big of a project for me since i am withering in the summer heat already, and i live next door to a daycare. at least i got 2 gallons of honey!

my brain has been on ebay - i sold some old playmobil sets i bought a year ago. it has been a real pain but the return seems excellent (if almost everyone will pay). i think i just will have to get used to doing it. ironically i sold all this victorian dollhouse stuff because i felt i needed a doll house at the very least and did not have the time to build or money to get an appropriate one, and the same friend today offered us a fantastic homeade dollhouse.
#106 of 108 Old 06-27-2006, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tea olive
intuitively i feel that if they get their own spaces they will not be so possessive, but it doesn't make sense rationally.
It makes sense to me! If you have your own space, you don't need to be possessive about everything else. God, I was *desperate* for my own anything as a child. I had a blankie when I was little, and like many other children my blankie had a name-- "MINE!!" I just needed to be able to draw that little line around myself, and then sharing/taking turns was easier, because I had my own space to retire into.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#107 of 108 Old 06-27-2006, 05:58 PM

We have noticed this with Christopher. Currently the boys are sharing a bedroom since we are renting a 2 bedroom 1 bath house. All the toys are in a room down in the basement. Sharing is a nightmare around here. Christopher constantly declares that he wants his own room and he wants his toys in his room. I like having all the toys in one central room. We are in the process of looking for a 3 bedroom house so Christopher can have his own space since he is definitely crying out for it. I think I will let him keep a few of his special toys in his room as well but the rest are going into a playroom!!!

Loving Mom to DS (7) and DS (5).
#108 of 108 Old 07-02-2006, 12:19 PM

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page