Grey tooth??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 06-16-2006, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My ds(4) banged his tooth pretty hard the other day(on dd's head: ) seemed fine, he complianed about it for a couple of days but it doesn't hurt now.

I've noticed it's turning grey!! Anyone know what that means?

TIA

Lisa: Homeschooling Mum of ds, 8 and dd, 6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 06-16-2006, 10:21 PM

I am not postive but I think that might mean the tooth is dying. I will try to google and see what I can come up with. I would call your child's dentist or doctor.

http://experts.about.com/q/Dentistry...ored-tooth.htm

http://life.familyeducation.com/todd...eth/42218.html
#3 of 10 Old 06-16-2006, 11:10 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks ...I called the dentist and she said it probably isn't a big deal, but we could go and get an x ray, I googled and came up with lots of different answers, so I think we will wait a few days and see.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

#4 of 10 Old 06-16-2006, 11:20 PM

I have experience it myself but mine is a little different. I know my tooth is slowly dying because it is chipping away. Plus I am 36 and it is permanent tooth.

I hope everything will be okay.
#5 of 10 Old 06-16-2006, 11:27 PM

Oh your poor ds!! My dd did the same thing about 2years ago. She was 5yo & tripped up wooden steps & put her top front teeth nearly thru her bottom lip....her poor lip bled & poofed up 10x it's size: ....anyway, several days later 1 tooth started turning gry. We went to our reg dentist & he sed is ok but 'might need root canal'...well , I asked for 2nd opinion, cuz this is just wayyyyy too invasive on a 5yo if not necc, ykwim? Found a grrrreat pediatric dentist who sed it happens all the time & usually not a big deal...we were to keep an eye on it & make sure no cysts/abcesses on gums....and if something happened, we would probably pull it vs root canal. Well, is 2 years later & thoses baby teeth are very loose ready to fall out anyday now
#6 of 10 Old 06-16-2006, 11:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by minmoto2
Oh your poor ds!! My dd did the same thing about 2years ago. She was 5yo & tripped up wooden steps & put her top front teeth nearly thru her bottom lip....her poor lip bled & poofed up 10x it's size: ....anyway, several days later 1 tooth started turning gry. We went to our reg dentist & he sed is ok but 'might need root canal'...well , I asked for 2nd opinion, cuz this is just wayyyyy too invasive on a 5yo if not necc, ykwim? Found a grrrreat pediatric dentist who sed it happens all the time & usually not a big deal...we were to keep an eye on it & make sure no cysts/abcesses on gums....and if something happened, we would probably pull it vs root canal. Well, is 2 years later & thoses baby teeth are very loose ready to fall out anyday now
Phew! Thanks...I'll stop worrying about how to tell ds we are going to pull his tooth out.

#7 of 10 Old 06-16-2006, 11:30 PM

When I was younger I was hit in the tooth with a baseball and my tooth started turning grey. It usually means the nerve is dying or dead. My tooth never really got too dark so I just left it alone. The dentist said I could get a root canal but I decided against it. As long as the tooth is able to drain it will not turn completely black. There is a simple test the dentist can do to see if the nerve is dead. There is a liquid my dentist put on a Q-tip and touched it to my tooth (the grey one) and I could not feel anything. He put the q-tip on a healthy tooth and it felt VERY cold.

If it is a baby tooth I wouldn't worry too much about it, unless it keeps getting darker and darker.

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#8 of 10 Old 06-17-2006, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minmoto2
Found a grrrreat pediatric dentist who sed it happens all the time & usually not a big deal...we were to keep an eye on it & make sure no cysts/abcesses on gums....and if something happened, we would probably pull it vs root canal. Well, is 2 years later & thoses baby teeth are very loose ready to fall out anyday now
My ds did this last year and my pediatric dentist said the same thing...

Ours went back to its regular color after awhile and only now (after 16 months) does it seem like it's starting to loosen...

Definitely have them xray it regularly and keep an eye out for abscesses (will look like a pimple in the gum above the tooth).

Above all--don't worry! It is so common!

Jen, former attorney and now SAHM to 11 yo ds and 8 yo ds

#9 of 10 Old 06-17-2006, 01:30 AM

My 5 yr old dd has one front tooth that is grey. About 2 yrs ago she was jumping from the coffee table to the couch and went face first on one jump and cried for a moment but then said she was ok because she didn't want me to slow her down. Our dentist told us it was most likely dead but to just leave it alone if it didn't cause any problems because it will come out at some point when her adult teeth come in.

If you're worried, check with another dentist to be sure. We moved and have to find another dentist and will check it again.

Been quietly hanging around here for over 10 years.  

#10 of 10 Old 06-17-2006, 01:55 AM

My 4 yr old dd has a grayish tooth. She banged her mouth hard in a fall when she was 2, and it's been discolored ever since. The dentist said no big deal, it's just a baby tooth. He said it's a fracture, but not anything that can or should be fixed.

Liz

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page