Mothering Forum banner

Terrible day for 3 yr. old and preggo mama

506 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  CollegeMama 
#1 ·
:
I don't know if it's because the arrival of DD is soon and it's put DS in a weird place or if it's my hormones going haywire, or if it's my total exhaustion and inability to play like I used to because of my huge stomach, swollen feet and BH contrax. Whatever it is, DS and I are clashing like mad. He's throwing temper tantrums and I don't have it in me to respond the way I normally do (GD).
We went to a restaurant for lunch today to celebrate my getting an A in a class I took this summer and DS had several meltdowns until we finally just had to get our food to go and go home. We have never had to do that before, if we ask him to stop doing something he usually stops. He actually started drawing on the chair with a crayon, which is totally out of character for him, and then threw a fit when we asked him to stop and showed him where he could draw.
The fits continued until we were beginning to disrupt the lunches of those around us. We went outside so he could let his feelings out about being sad that we had to go home and I told him that I just didn't think he felt up to being out at a restaurant today and we'd have to try again another time. He screamed the whole way home - which is what he needed to do and he has a right to express his feelings but it was a nightmare getting home and staying calm.
He's also so sad that things are going so rough for us which breaks my heart. I just feel like bawling. We're supposed to go out with my mom tonight (he adores his gammy) and I am really concerned that we're going to have more trouble and that I'm just setting us up for problems by going out tonight. But - he's keeps promising that he'll try to listen better and he really wants to spend time with Gammy, so I hate to punish him for having a rough day, KWIM?
What makes this all worse is that I'm in my final weeks of pregnancy (I'm due July 7th) and I just am not the same mommy that I normally am physically or emotionally so I feel that this is all my fault.

I really just want to sit in my room and cry.

See less See more
#3 ·
i just went through this...i'm sorry. it's a rough time for all. so many transitions. i would just say to encourage your ds to talk or play out his feelings, both now and after your dd is born. i've watched my older dd have some really powerful emotions and they have to have an outlet.

and take care of yourself!! get some time to rest in these last few days- it's full on after the babe is born, but siblings are so sweet! i love our new expanded family, challenges and all.

oh, and as i said to my friend the other night, "every other day or so, i sink to another level of 'whatever'" it's not permissive parenting, it's staying sane.

good luck and congrats!

#4 ·
Thanks! I know there are going to be major adjustments for us all, I just hope that once the baby's about a month or so old that I'll have more energy to handle things. Picking battles is a big, big part of GD for me, so I know what you mean Newmainer!

The good news is that we did go out with Gammy and DS and I did very well. He was still high energy, but he listened very well and we got to celebrate having a nice evening together. It was nice to have so many things to positively reinforce tonight.

And thanks for the hugs, I need all I can get at this point. I'm trying to work on getting rest, if only my bladder would listen to my desperate pleas for sleep!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.