Looking for original boys clothes - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 07-14-2006, 10:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello,

Does anyone have any advice on where to find colorful boys clothes with unique prints. I'm so tired to trucks and sport themes or just boring jeans and t-shirts with stripes. I'd love just some bright colors with animal prints. And I'm not looking to spend a fortune. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I have a 2 year old and a five year old.

Thanks!!! Deb
#2 of 20 Old 07-14-2006, 10:52 PM

Ah, Deb, I know what you mean!! I've got four boys and it's very hard to find something that isn't blue and red, lol. I'm going to start making their clothes myself, trying to figure out patchy pants (I'm great sewing from a pattern, though).
#3 of 20 Old 07-15-2006, 10:10 AM

Hanna Andersson has some cute bright boys stuff for fall.

Unfortunately all of the unique and cute boys clothes I have found DO cost a fortune because they are Eurpoean!:
#4 of 20 Old 07-15-2006, 11:26 AM

how about lands end or LL bean? Or make your own using transfer paper and your computer printer. CWD.com (I think that's what it's called) might have something.
#5 of 20 Old 07-19-2006, 12:07 PM

I found the local stalls a t the mall are great for this. Not the stores but the stalls in the middle are often run by independant folks who make their own stuff, I've got some good stuff that way. Also sciencey places like museaum, childrens museaum gift shops. Otherwise Ide say just troll second hand stores as they tend to have a wide variety of brands/styles.
#6 of 20 Old 07-19-2006, 10:44 PM

mulberribush has some great prints bottoms and matching t's...

occasionally GYMBOREE has cute stuff... right now they have a racecar theme and the summer jungle prints are on clearance

baby gap and gap kids...

right now my 5 yr old is totally into PINK...
#7 of 20 Old 07-20-2006, 05:44 PM

Mini Boden has some cute stuff. They can be expensive as heck however. I usually get my older boy 2-3 shirts or pants from them 2x a year. They are well made and last, and then I pass them on to his little brother.

Stephanie
#8 of 20 Old 07-20-2006, 05:58 PM

I make most of Dakota's clothes. He has all kinds of cute little animal prints and crayon prints and trains and everything else. Especially space ships and planets. The biggest problem I'm finding around here is that people just can not understand that you can have pants that have prints on them. I have a lot of matching shirt and pants outfits. Everyone comments on how cute his pajamas are. They're not pajamas folks, they are pants made out of printed material. I hate it. Then when you have them looking at his beautiful long brown curls and commenting on how cute she is in her little pajamas, (with trucks on them), I'm about ready to lose it. Yes boys have long hair and yes pants come in prints.

For the PP who said she was trying to figure out patchies. Cut you squares about 4 to 6 inches. Sew a long strip of random squares together. Then start sewing the strips to each other until you have a large piece of fabric. Press this so it lays flat. Then just cut out your pattern like you normally would. It works great. The other thing I do is open out the side seam of pants that ae too small and put a patchwork strip down the side of the pants.

Granolathreads.com does custom embroidery on t-shirts so you can get pictures of animals and things like that. They also have really cute sayings like, "2% boy, 98% breastmilk" or "Born at home in the family bed." Lots of cool stuff. Check them out. Prices aren't too bad. Believe me I'm a repeat customer.

Kathi

:::Mom to 5 adult children and 8 year old, Dakota "Why do they call it homeschool, we're never at home?"
#9 of 20 Old 07-20-2006, 06:43 PM

You might want to try the etsy (dot com) children's section for handmade or unique kid's clothes. It's a site for independent crafters to sell their products and there's always something new being added. I could spend hours just looking at everything there.
#10 of 20 Old 07-20-2006, 07:11 PM

I'm tired of seeing sports or car/truck themed boy clothes. If I had a sewing machine (a good one), I'd make my own.
I was in Gymboree and the girls clothes are so very cute! The boys clothing is so very BORING.
I did find a boy t-shirt with an armadillo on it. That was super cute. I love nature themes on clothing.
#11 of 20 Old 07-20-2006, 08:38 PM

my son just wears most of my daughter's old clothes! and a few cool tie dye shirts.

knitterma-i get that mini boden catalog! they have the cutest stuff, but you're right-way too pricey.
#12 of 20 Old 07-21-2006, 12:19 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm going to check out a few places now!
#13 of 20 Old 07-21-2006, 09:01 AM

I can't stand the trucks and sports themes either, and I have two boys. I buy some things at Gymboree and Baby Gap. Otherwise I go to children's resale shops and eBay and get everything super cheap. I like Hanna Andersson, Osh Kosh, Babymini par Catimini, Miniman, Jean Bourget, DPAM (Du Pareil Au Meme), and Ralph Lauren/Polo. It's often european brands I find that make "cute" stuff for boys. They're SUPER expensive new, but used they're just about as cheap as anything else. I also like the stuff on the Back From Bali website, but that's because I love batik fabric so much. Oh, and Mulberry Bush.

- Krista

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#14 of 20 Old 07-21-2006, 09:36 AM

wait wait! COW AND LIZARD

do an ebay search - love these cotton clothes for non-boring boy clothing
#15 of 20 Old 07-22-2006, 08:52 PM

I've seen do-it-yourself silk-screening kits in toy catalogues. While your sons may be too young for this activity now, they will soon be old enough to draw something which you could then apply to a (cheap, plain, new or used) T-shirt. Or you or somebody else who is special to the boys could draw something. You could also try tie-dying and if you are super-crunchy, use herbs that you have grown or gathered with the boys.

Andrej's current favorite shirt is from Luray Caverns, and he likes to remember our visit there earlier this summer. Although it's not the cheapest clothing option, you could try picking up a souvenir T whenever you go somewhere. (Just try to avoid sports events & monster-truck rallies!)
#16 of 20 Old 07-22-2006, 08:56 PM
Dar

http://cgi3.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...ccabooboutique
Cute girl clothes on top, but scroll down for her Boys Will Be Boys stuff...

dar

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

#17 of 20 Old 07-22-2006, 09:22 PM

Do you like tie dye? You can get the really bright dyes and places like Michael's. It is cheap and easy.

And, Dharma trading has great all cotton dye ready stuff for good prices. http://www.dharmatrading.com/
#18 of 20 Old 07-22-2006, 09:48 PM

I have two boys. They don't own one piece of sports themed or character clothing. They almost always wears bright solids--grey shorts and green teeshirt or navy shorts and yellow shirt. They do have a few Polos and some Lands End polos as well as some denim shorts and some cotton plaid dressy shorts. I get most of their clothes at Lands End. I've never been disappointed and they also have Slim sizes for my ds1 who is built like a tall beanpole. All in all, their wardrobe if very basic, but I think they always look cute because their stuff is bright and comfy.

~lisa~mama to 3 boys (1/02, 5/04, 12/06)
#19 of 20 Old 07-22-2006, 10:01 PM

CWD has some great kid's shirts. Dillards usually has some cute ones too.

Here is the CWD website. But, it loads s l o w.
http://www.cwdkids.com/servlet/quagg.../_qprm_/browse
#20 of 20 Old 07-23-2006, 01:40 AM

I find most of my stuff at secondhand shops/thrift stores. But I have also found cute animal shirts/outfits at BabysRUs of all places. I hate to shop and rarely shop new though so I don't have a lot of ideas. We also do some tie-dye ourselves because he looks so dang cute in bright tie-dye!

Kris wife to Stew and mom to Joey 8/03 who cares for , 2 frogs and a worm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page