First Grade Tribe - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 204 Old 08-14-2006, 02:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I hate to steer things away from the original questions, but am wondering what things your child's school does by way of introduction to the teacher and classroom before the first day (along the lines of what averysmom posted)?

My son starts in less than two weeks, and we haven't received any info about starting school - I have called the office and was told something will come in the mail, but I think it's getting a little close, especially since this a new school for him.

Just curious about what others are experiencing in terms of orientation.

Thanks!
#62 of 204 Old 08-14-2006, 03:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
dd's school just added on a addition (3 classes per grade, use to be 2). I had to go up to the school 2 days after registering to see which class dd was in. dd's teacher is new and her classroom is still being built. Luckily dd is very easy going and just asked me to write down her teacher's name on a piece of paper so she can find her room. Not ideal by any means. K kids get to go the night before with their parents.

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#63 of 204 Old 08-14-2006, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

ABand3-we don't have any sort of orientation in the grades beyond kindergarten, which is unfortunate.
#64 of 204 Old 08-14-2006, 11:48 PM

My son is starting 1st grade in a couple of weeks and I'm sooo nervous. His first week of kindergarten he cried REALLY loud the whole class! That was rough! I'm really hoping 1st goes a lot more smoothly!
#65 of 204 Old 08-15-2006, 01:13 AM

I will join too. I really want to homeschool but my daughter is so into school and is begging to go. I am nervous because they assess and group them according to ability. I know that public schools have to because of the number of kids but it just seems so harsh in a way. I am not so worried about this year but I know at some point they will know what group they are in and it is so bad to label so young. I am hoping it is better than I am thinking it will be.
#66 of 204 Old 08-15-2006, 02:21 AM

haven't read evrything but thought i'd just jump in...

we are on our second week of 1st grade here. olivia is really enjoying herself. she' riding the bu to and fro' this year i was kind of worried about it but she seems to be enjoying it. we had a mix-up last week and she got dropped off at the wrong place so she ended up sitting at our house alone for probably 20 minutes. that made me and
she had some problems last year with just teasing on the bus but hasn't this year.

she has homework every night seems to be more structured even than last year but in a more useful/sensible way

teacher is easy to talk to so far. already had to discuss "alternatives to punishment" though well, i haven't actually discussed it face to face yet but did let her know i don't want her recess taken away. i've got to set an appointment w/ her

: and : and
#67 of 204 Old 08-15-2006, 09:03 AM

Hi Ellen-we're in GA, too. What county are you? Ugh, I thought we started early yesterday.

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
#68 of 204 Old 08-15-2006, 12:59 PM

Quote:
I hate to steer things away from the original questions, but am wondering what things your child's school does by way of introduction to the teacher and classroom before the first day (along the lines of what averysmom posted)?

My son starts in less than two weeks, and we haven't received any info about starting school - I have called the office and was told something will come in the mail, but I think it's getting a little close, especially since this a new school for him.

Thanks!
I'm with you. Although my dd is going to the same school, I would like to know who her teacher will be and where her classroom is.
#69 of 204 Old 08-15-2006, 01:50 PM

I'm also waiting to hear from my boys' school! We applied for a variance last year and with just two weeks til school starts we haven't heard a thing about it.
So to add to our nervousness about starting, we don't even know which school they'll be going to!
#70 of 204 Old 08-15-2006, 01:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABand3

Thanks!
Here is what my DS's new school (private) has done and is doing to introduce the child to the school and teachers. Through out the summer the school has had work days, this is for the parents to help prepare the school for the next school year, children were encouraged to come along and play and help where they could. So far we have had one school pot luck. My DS's two teachers have also made a home visit. Tomorrow we have a school wide playdate and picnic at a local park, Saturday we have our final work day and a pot luck lunch. Next Tuesday there is the 1st/2nd grade parents orientation (no children). The school also has a yahoo email list which keeps everyone updated on what is going on.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#71 of 204 Old 08-15-2006, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

Bleh, I feel so down today (the day before the first day of school) !
I'll miss having my dd around so much. She, meanwhile, is busy embellishing her backpack and deciding what outfit to wear.
#72 of 204 Old 08-16-2006, 01:42 PM

we finally received a letter from ds's new teacher, and there will be a meet the teacher day next week, two days before school starts. I'm relieved it finally came!
#73 of 204 Old 08-24-2006, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

bump-how is everyone?

DD started last week and is doing wonderfully. Loves everything, except that there's only one basketball on the playground for the lower grades and the boys aren't letting the girls play. I asked about the playground rules about everyone needing to be included, and if the monitors encourage that, but was told the monitors only play a safety enforcement role. So I emailed the principal to ask if I could donate a few basketballs, and if the monitors could enforce that playground inclusion rule better.
#74 of 204 Old 08-24-2006, 12:55 PM

joining, 2 weeks of first grade and already a request from the teacher to help ds to control himself.
#75 of 204 Old 08-24-2006, 12:57 PM

We don't start until Sept 5 but dd met her teacher on Monday for a reading assessment. Her teacher seems very sweet and said dd is quite a reader. There is an open house at the school next thursday that we will be going to as well. My biggest complaint so far is that one of the first grade teachers retired last year and they are not replacing her. How can that be. There will be 25 students in my dds class. Doesn't that seem like WAY to many! What are your class sizes like. The thing is there are 4 kindergarten teachers, 4 2nd grade teachers but only 3 1st grade teachers. makes me nervous.

Micky
#76 of 204 Old 08-24-2006, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

we have a cap of 20 students per class in CA, and there are 18 in dd's. I hope in your daughter's case 25 works out well!
#77 of 204 Old 08-24-2006, 01:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
DS doesn't start until until Monday although we have the school's opening ceremony tomorrow. We spent a few hours at the school on Saturday helping to get everything finished -- I sewed cords and name tags on the 1st and 2nd grade crayon cases and DS and DD (although she is homeschooled) and the other children painted prayer flags and decided what their wish for the world is. The prayer flags will be used in the opening ceremony tomorrow. DH and I also attended the 1st/2nd grade orientation on Tuesday, and both were a little disappointed in the the presentations the teachers made, we felt they really didn't do themselves justice. And DH has decided to say something to them tomorrow. I was also disappointed in the math curriculum (Investigations) they have chose -- it is the same one used in DD's old school and was one of the many reasons I decided to pull her out and homeschool her. One of DS's teachers DS goes to DD old school which is one of the reasons he picked the curriculum! He did recognize some of its short falls and plans to augment that, but I will be doing extra math with DS at home I think. But all in all we are still very excited that DS will be going to the school.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#78 of 204 Old 08-24-2006, 01:59 PM

My first grader starts on Monday. He is very excited. He gets to ride the bus to an after school program and I think he is more excited about that than school!
#79 of 204 Old 08-24-2006, 02:16 PM

Dd is in her second week of 1st grade and is doing great. She's not being challenged, but I suspect her teacher will meet her needs once she gets to know the levels of all of the children. She *loves* having homework (takes all of 5 minutes ) b/c she feels like such a big kid. Everyday she reminds me that she HAS to do her homework.
Yesterday was her first day of Brownies and she loved wearing her uniform to school.
And yesterday they sent home the dreaded Sally Foster wrapping paper fundraiser. :

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
#80 of 204 Old 08-24-2006, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mata
. So I emailed the principal to ask if I could donate a few basketballs, and if the monitors could enforce that playground inclusion rule better.

Good for you for finding a solution to the problem!!
#81 of 204 Old 08-24-2006, 03:11 PM

My dd doesn't start until the 29th. They finally posted the class lists on the front windows of the school so we could see who her teacher is and who is in her class. None of her friends are in her class, but she really didn't seem to mind. She said she'll still see them at recess and soccer. Some teachers posted supply lists, but not hers. I'm bugged that she starts in less than a week and I have no idea what she needs. I looked at the other teacher's lists, but they were all different! I'm also bugged that there is no information sent out about the first day and there is no orientation before school starts. Are we just supposed to drop her off and hope she finds her way to her classroom. I know each grade at her school goes through different entrances. Surely there will be people meeting them that first day so she knows where to go.

On the upside, we got an invitation from one of her new classmates to come for a "get to know you" brunch on Saturday for the whole class. Now there is one brave and ambitious mama!
#82 of 204 Old 08-24-2006, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillywilson
My dd doesn't start until the 29th. They finally posted the class lists on the front windows of the school so we could see who her teacher is and who is in her class. None of her friends are in her class, but she really didn't seem to mind. She said she'll still see them at recess and soccer. Some teachers posted supply lists, but not hers. I'm bugged that she starts in less than a week and I have no idea what she needs. I looked at the other teacher's lists, but they were all different! I'm also bugged that there is no information sent out about the first day and there is no orientation before school starts. Are we just supposed to drop her off and hope she finds her way to her classroom. I know each grade at her school goes through different entrances. Surely there will be people meeting them that first day so she knows where to go.

On the upside, we got an invitation from one of her new classmates to come for a "get to know you" brunch on Saturday for the whole class. Now there is one brave and ambitious mama!
Gosh, sounds like our school. We JUST got his room assignment. A friend in another district went to a meet your teacher night last week at her school! I was getting really nervous about this. Our district doesn't communicate anything. If ds gets a supply list to bring home the first day, I will be rather annoyed. A little advance notice would be nice for things like that.
#83 of 204 Old 08-24-2006, 05:32 PM

I am in My DD starts on September 5th
#84 of 204 Old 08-24-2006, 07:17 PM

I am brand new to the mothering.com site...hope you don't mind me joining!

My oldest is starting 1st grade on Aug. 29th. He seems OK about it because he knows the school now and has some of his friends in his class. I'm going to miss him horribly, as will his little sister! K was 1/2 day last year, so having lunch without him will be hard. I'm trying to be upbeat in front of him, but my heart is breaking a bit! He NEEDS naps...not every day, but at least a couple times a week or he is a BEAR! I think the adjustment is going to be hard for him, and all of us!
#85 of 204 Old 08-25-2006, 01:24 PM

Just went to the meet the teacher day and I really liked his teacher. He also liked her. It's different than k, they each had their own desk with a drawer for supplies. The teacher seemed so organized, and yet very warm. I felt really sad, though...just the growing up part, so quickly, it seems. Bittersweet. But he loves the idea of school, so.
#86 of 204 Old 08-25-2006, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMUM
Just went to the meet the teacher day and I really liked his teacher. He also liked her. It's different than k, they each had their own desk with a drawer for supplies. The teacher seemed so organized, and yet very warm. I felt really sad, though...just the growing up part, so quickly, it seems. Bittersweet. But he loves the idea of school, so.
It is indeed bittersweet : Glad he liked the teacher!

Question to all mamas - what type of school your kids are are going to go to? Public, private, religious, Montessori, other?

My DD is going to another Montessori that goes all the way to the 3rd grade (she went to K in another Montessori that only went to Kindergarten)

What about you?
#87 of 204 Old 08-25-2006, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irinam

Question to all mamas - what type of school your kids are are going to go to?

DD is going to a wonderfully rated public school in the neighborhood!
#88 of 204 Old 08-25-2006, 02:52 PM

My dd is going to a public school. This will be her first year there as she was in a montessori that only went through kindergarten last year. We don't have many montessoris around us that go past kindergarten and we couldn't afford the one that does . But so far I've heard nothing but good things about her school and her teacher so were hoping its okay.

Micky
#89 of 204 Old 08-25-2006, 06:50 PM

My dd goes to a public school (actually the same elementary school I went to ). The supply lists were all over town Wal-Mart, Staples, etc, for all the school in the county. DD really liked 1st grade. She has a few friends there from Kindergarten. Since I did some volunteering last year she's pretty familiar w/alot of the teachers. I'm glad for that b/c Meet the Teacher Night isn't until Monday. Today was the 3rd day and last night she had a terrible nightmare about a rat going to bite her. She didn't sleep well and was so tired this morning so when I walked her to class I let the teacher know that she had a bad night. :yawning:. She thanked me for letting her know and when I picked dd up from school she told me that the teacher carried her to the nurse's office and let her sleep for a little while.:
#90 of 204 Old 08-25-2006, 07:03 PM

Dd just completed the 1st week of school! Actually 3 days because we started last Wednesday. She got the teacher I requested for her and she loves her! She has several kids in her class from last year. Not her best friend, but they still see each other! She's at a classmates house now as I type this. I'm so glad she's making and keeping friends! It's so awesome to watch her bloom.

Her teacher loves her. I hope she gets to see all of Willow. Willow is so quiet when she's not at home, they don't get to see much of her hilarious side, or how incredibly wise, creative and intuitive she is. I'd love for them to know that side of her!

I'm excited for her, she's having a blast.

Oh, and she too is going to public school.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page