First Grade Tribe - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 204 Old 09-21-2006, 01:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are getting first progress reports today. I actually don't care about grades and decided not to worry this year. I'm not actually worried, but still I have thought about it on and off this morning. I think for some people grades are relevant to what they know and for others really no indication. My son is only 4, but I think from his personality grades will be a little bit of an indicator, but my daughter is like me...she's a dreamer and grades won't be a big factor in whether or not she knows material. It kinda bugs me that there are not other methods of evaluating at their school....guess I'm just rambling on...it's a beautiful day here!
#182 of 204 Old 09-21-2006, 01:48 PM

My dd won't get a progress report until at the end of next month. But when I went to pick her up from the afterschool program her teacher was still there so I got a chance to talk to her a little bit about how dd is doing. She told me she thinks dd is reading above grade level just by her reading and writing in class. She also showed me some websites to go on to practice w/her. I really wasn't surprised b/c dd has always loved reading. The teacher also has moved the kids desks into groups of four instead of a big square around the room so dd got a sneak peak at what today was going to be like.

Also, sometimes dd gets obsessed w/her work when she gets started. Last night we were going over sight words and she insisted on writing all the words she knew with the _an, _it, _og, etc. ending. Then when it was time for bed, I forget what we were talking about but she asked me to spell Mississippi. Well after spelling it a few times for her she would try to spell it by herself and when I finally told her the word had 1-m, 4 -i, 4-s, and 2 p. She figured it out and actually spelled it correctly then. I was kind of surprised she picked it up like that after telling her how many letters it had. She was so excited she had to tell this teacher this morning.
#183 of 204 Old 09-21-2006, 03:04 PM

1xmom..my daughter loves to read too. I would like to talk to my daughters teacher too. I never see the teacher and I have no idea what is going on in the classroom or how she's doing. I know what she can do and she's doing fine, and really that is good enough for me, but it would be nice to know how it is at school. Maybe I will just start emailing the teacher so I can get updates. Off to carpool!
#184 of 204 Old 09-22-2006, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1xmom View Post
She also showed me some websites to go on to practice w/her.
Could you share them with us??

Helen wash.gif Homeschooling Mama to Nicola photosmile2.gif 07/00 , Daniel kewl.gif 05/03 & cat.gifX2...and hug.gif with Barry caffix.gif since 08/87
#185 of 204 Old 09-22-2006, 09:21 AM

Of course, the one that comes to mind right off hand is starfall.com is the one my dd went home and got on. Another one is literactive.com, but I haven't had a chance to check that one out yet.
#186 of 204 Old 09-25-2006, 07:01 PM

Do you find there are less oportunities to volunteer in the classroom in 1st grade than we had in Kindergarten? What things have you volunteered with that you felt connected you with what was going on in the classroom? I really wanted to be a room Mom...but I've found Super Mom of the school is in our class...so gotta find a way around that obstacle. My son's rooms mom is great. What things have you volunteered with that connnected you to what's going on at the school and/or other Mom's? I'm thinking about the library..it is in the middle of the school ..no walls...but not sure. Just looking for ideas! My daughters teacher I feel is a good teacher...but not good at interpersonal skills. I am going to do some subbing.
#187 of 204 Old 09-25-2006, 07:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommabelle View Post
Do you find there are less oportunities to volunteer in the classroom in 1st grade than we had in Kindergarten? What things have you volunteered with that you felt connected you with what was going on in the classroom? I really wanted to be a room Mom...but I've found Super Mom of the school is in our class...so gotta find a way around that obstacle. My son's rooms mom is great. What things have you volunteered with that connnected you to what's going on at the school and/or other Mom's? I'm thinking about the library..it is in the middle of the school ..no walls...but not sure. Just looking for ideas! My daughters teacher I feel is a good teacher...but not good at interpersonal skills. I am going to do some subbing.

If DS had stayed in the same school he was in Kindergarten, I probably wouldn't be able to spend so much time in the classroom. In his new school I volunteer once a month for two hours to help the children with their reading. I do group reading which involves having two children read to me and noting down how they did and any problem areas that need to be addressed. I also helped with knitting this time. I could volunteer more but as I am homeschooling DD, I just don't really have the time. I volunteer on the day DD goes to her homeschool group.

I am lucky in that the school is very small and has a very strong parent community, so I feel very connected with the school. Also, the kids and parents (and teachers) tend to hang out after school and play and chat which is so nice. We also spent the summer working on the school building and making curriculum materials and things like place mats, crayon pouches. We also have several school festivals throughout the year which require parent volunteers. Last Friday was Harvest Festival and I was in charge of the Harvest Crown making!

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#188 of 204 Old 09-25-2006, 07:44 PM

We have a ton of volunteering oppurtunities at my dd's class room. I needed to find something that worked with my work schedule that I could do while finding care for my other two boys. So I decided to be a lunch helper every other week. I will go during my lunch hour while my other two are in daycare so I don't have to find additional care for them. I wish i was going to be in the classroom more but also have my name on a list for class parties and stuff so I guess I'll get my chance then. I start this week and will let you know how it goes. Micky
#189 of 204 Old 09-26-2006, 09:19 AM

I haven't had a chance to do any volunteering either or just visiting the classroom for that matter. Although I have eaten lunch w/her once and stayed for recess. Next month I have Columbus Day off and school is not out so I'll probably spend the day there. Helping w/the Book Fair or wherever they may need me.
#190 of 204 Old 09-26-2006, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter

Love volunteering-I go once a week for a couple of hours. The first time I went the teacher asked me to do a painting unit. Talk about tossing a newbie in the deep end. I've been helping them with their reading and math, and put together their creative writing journals for October. We're also starting work on our Fall Festival, which is lots of fun. I'm so glad to see what goes on from the inside-makes me very happy about dd's experience. DD has blossomed-she comes home bursting with creativity and wants to write songs (Popping Popping Popcorn) and short stories (The Funny Statue of Liberty ) and she treats us to daily performances of the songs and dances she learns in music class. She and her little sister dance around doing "Jump Jim Joe" and it's really sweet.
#191 of 204 Old 09-26-2006, 10:08 AM

can I join? I read this thread for a bit when it first started then totally forgot about it. I've just skimmed the last pages and have a few comments, but mostly I'm looking forward to hearing about all the different experiences.

My oldest started 1st grade right after Labor Day and it's going great as far as I can tell. This is the 3rd year this school has been open. DD attended K here too and I really really really liked her K teacher. The word in the 'hood is that her 1st grade teacher is really "strict." I don't know exactly what the other parents mean by this term, so I'm interested to find out. So far I like everything the teacher has sent home. There hasn't been any homework yet, except yesterday DD brought home guided reading book that we read together and marked on a journal. She really likes that.

Curriculum night is tomorrow night, and I'll be all ears.

I don't know what volunteering opportunities there will be exactly, but I do know there are some. I volunteered quite a bit in K. I am somewhat limited by my other 2 kids -- I don't have many child care options for my other 2 young kids, and I don't want to take them with me. I'll do as much as I can.

DD has joined Brownies this year. Does anyone have experience with Brownies? Good, bad or otherwise, I'd love to hear!

She pretty much refuses to eat breakfast, I don't even offer anymore. She will sometimes have a glass of orange juice. They do have a morning snack, and she chooses one of the items from her lunchbox for that. Most days, she finishes her lunch. I put quite a few options in there because she is a very particular eater and I just want to make sure she gets enough. She hasn't tried the hot lunch once! I love the idea of going to have lunch with her. I am going to try and work that out.

I think that's it for now. I'll be reading mamas!

namaste.gif

#192 of 204 Old 09-26-2006, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter

hi mamaroni-nice to see you back! Is she six today? If so, happy birthday to her and congrats to you!!
#193 of 204 Old 09-26-2006, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mata View Post
hi mamaroni-nice to see you back! Is she six today? If so, happy birthday to her and congrats to you!!
thanks! I need to go change my sig line, she was 6 on Sunday.

namaste.gif

#194 of 204 Old 09-26-2006, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

Ah, I see-hope she had a wonderful day.

One thing I forgot to mention that I just want to put out there to clear my mind (does anyone else find they fret about every little thing with their firstborn?)-dd spoke to me yesterday about a difficult situation she was in at school. She shares a desk with 3 other students-one of them is a girl who is a good friend. They have an honor system of sorts in the class where the students are expected to speak up if they see disrespectful behavior taking place-and apparently this girl who is my daughter's friend was poking one of the boys at the desk with her scissors. My dd saw it and spoke up to the teacher about it. I asked her how that made her feel and she said she didn't want to get her friend in trouble, but she felt she had to say something because she didn't want Billy to get hurt, and what the girl was doing was wrong. I was proud of her for having that courage. Then she said she didn't want to be friends with someone who did something like that, and I had a talk with her about forgiveness and giving people another chance. I hope she doesn't hold a grudge (she's prone to doing that) and if she were to shun this girl that would be a bad outcome.
#195 of 204 Old 09-26-2006, 12:20 PM

Mata, wow I would be really proud of dd, we need more people like that in the world, who stand up for what is right. But also the bit about forgiving people when they mess up is important. She's already learning some valuable lessons, heck I don't think i got those til I was at least thirty .

I volunteered last year, reading with the kids for an hour each week, but honestly it was exhausting, and every week, it was hard if my younger daughter was sick, or if life was getting hectic. I kind of burned out on it by the time school was over. I think if I were to volunteer, it would be sporadic, instead of every week for an hour. But it was great to meet all of the other kids in class, and know them and I would help them put their snow suits/mittens on before recess, too. But then my son got to where he would start crying when I left; I don't know if volunteering would work for me this year!
#196 of 204 Old 09-26-2006, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

thanks SMUM-yeah, this honor code is designed to discourage bullying behavior-making it clear to bullies that other students won't tolerate it. I like the idea, but I'm sure it's a challenge to implement and can be a fine line-I bet there's a lot of gratuitous tattling going on. Poor teacher, having to sort all that out! I was a bit upset this morning because this little girl came up to us while dd was waiting for class to begin. I happen to think she's sweet and what happened seems really out of character for her. I was hoping my dd would make a fresh start with her, but dd didn't speak to her. I really hope she works it out-this is one of the few girls in class I think is compatible with dd. I can see the weekly volunteering commitment being hard, too, SMUM-I'm done for the rest of the day after that! And it gets even more intense as the year goes on, doesn't it? I hope you're able to get into the classroom as it suits you.
#197 of 204 Old 09-26-2006, 05:14 PM

Well, my daughter poked someone with scissors last year too. She still talks about getting in trouble for it! I think it's hard at this age too, they're really internalizing a lot of society/family/school "norms" and want to reinforce them. I don't think tattling has the sweet smell of dorkhood that it gets by the time you're in say, 6th grade. It's a way children reinforce what's right (not poking) and wrong (poking).

My daughter is having a bit of an issue making friends, it appears. She only has one kinda-friend at school and says the other children aren't letting her play with them, despite the teacher having talks about it, etc. One mom extended the offer of a playdate and then RESCINDED it this morning after saying her daughter didn't seem too excited about the playdate. Which made me feel crappy. Couldn't she have just said they were hella busy? A white lie would have gone a looong way there. She's spending her recess time inside, reading in the loft. Which, as we all know, is a sure path to future nerddom, paved with too many fantasy books and too few friends.

I wonder if there's something wrong with her or her interactions with the kids is really off or something. I'll have to talk to the teacher. The teacher says she gets along really well with peers during the school day.
#198 of 204 Old 09-26-2006, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspaghettimama View Post
One mom extended the offer of a playdate and then RESCINDED it this morning after saying her daughter didn't seem too excited about the playdate.
WTF???? Wow, that is outrageous! So sorry that happened. I know my feelings would have been crushed!

namaste.gif

#199 of 204 Old 09-26-2006, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaroni View Post
WTF???? Wow, that is outrageous! So sorry that happened. I know my feelings would have been crushed!
Yeah, but I got a consolation prize - she said she'd ask her daughter again later in the year if she wanted to do it. Yippee, boy am I excited about that possibility. Now I have to explain to my daughter that she's not going to have a playdate with this girl and make up some dumbass lie. :
#200 of 204 Old 09-26-2006, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspaghettimama View Post
Yeah, but I got a consolation prize - she said she'd ask her daughter again later in the year if she wanted to do it. Yippee, boy am I excited about that possibility. Now I have to explain to my daughter that she's not going to have a playdate with this girl and make up some dumbass lie. :
Wow, that's snooty-don't you hate dealing with parents like that? I've had a couple of instances where I was struck by how chilly some people can be, too. I hope your daughter makes another nice friend who really appreciates her.
#201 of 204 Old 09-26-2006, 06:06 PM

just subscribing to the thread. We homeschool and my daughter is somewhere between K and 1st. she is just turning 6 in November. I do know about waking up and getting going in the mornings because for a month i am taking my 3 yr olds to a tot class for 2 hours so my oldest and i can get all set up for school and get into a routine. Its hard getting out of the house in the morning and then picking up again. I really love the weekends now because our weeks are so busy with soccer, girl scouts, and playdates. I dont know what we would do if we had more then a couple of hours of school and homework to deal with. Do you find your kiddos are having to stay up later to get everything done?? Mine seam to be going to bed later and later and they dont understand that they need the sleep to deal with another busy day tomorrow. Luckily we have the flexibility to do nap time, yes even the 1st grader takes a nap or a 2 hour rest.

anyway, we might not have tons in common but i love reading all your posts.

Angela: Catholic Homeschooling Mom to Sierra(11/00), twins Addison & Kendall(3/03), Jack(4/06), Brielle (7/08), Levi (2/2011); due with#7 (9/13). Birthed every witch way.....hospital. C section. VbAC. Unassisted water birth (hypno/painless). Assisted waterbirth to an almost 10lber! (Not painless!)
#202 of 204 Old 09-26-2006, 10:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspaghettimama
Yeah, but I got a consolation prize - she said she'd ask her daughter again later in the year if she wanted to do it. Yippee, boy am I excited about that possibility. Now I have to explain to my daughter that she's not going to have a playdate with this girl and make up some dumbass lie.
That sucks. : I am so sorry for your DD. Some people just : me.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#203 of 204 Old 09-26-2006, 10:46 PM - Thread Starter

welcome Angela-I'd love to hear your homeschooling perspective. I keep things very simple after the school day is done-dd isn't interested in doing organized activities, so we do quiet things at home. I'm also very conscious of the whole rest thing-dd used to be a night owl, and is slowly cycling back to falling asleep at 8 or so. I also breathe a sigh of relief when the weekend is here and we don't have to be anywhere!
#204 of 204 Old 10-04-2006, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page