First Grade Tribe - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-23-2006, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
is anyone interested in forming a tribe?

My dd starts on August 16th, and we're both looking forward to it. Kindergarten was challenging-our first time away from each other and we each had intense separation anxiety, but this time I feel differently. And is anyone else making the transition from half day kindergarten to full day? I'm hoping that dd is able to pace herself well-3 hours of kindergarten each day wiped her out last year!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2006, 08:44 PM

My older ds is also starting 1rst grade this fall. We actually have fullday kinder here so he is already used to that schedule. If you get a 1rst grade tribe going I would love to participate as it still seems like a big jump...I noticed little things like not having a bathroom in the actual classroom or going to the music room rather than having the music teacher come to the class that still makes it feel like a big stepping stone.

BJ
Barney & Ben
Old 07-23-2006, 09:30 PM

Leah is going in to grade 1 and is *very* excited. She's has been asking to do practice homework, and asking about what will be in her lunchbox.

Then, she gets all sad because she's going to miss her old KG teacher (who she had for 2 years since we get two years of KG here, junior and senior) and won't get to see the new kids coming into KG. She really enjoyed the mixed ages in her class and loved helping the younger kids.
Old 07-23-2006, 10:44 PM

we're starting in a week. dd was in full day kindergarten last year in the same building that 1st grade will be in so i don't ecpect major transitory issues but... kindergarten was way more structured than i anticipated. i'm expecting more of the same i guess. i'd be interested in a tribe.
Old 07-24-2006, 12:00 AM - Thread Starter

Hi everyone-then a tribe it is! Look forward to talking to everyone, and others who join in, about this exciting time. They're really growing up too fast.

Oh, and I wanted to add that I put this thread here because I'd like to talk to people who are homeschooling as well-we do a lot of enrichment at home and I'm always on the lookout for good resources.
Old 07-24-2006, 01:41 AM

Can we join? We were in half day kinder last year and now will be in full day first grade in late August. I'm having a much harder time adjusting than I think ds will; he's in the same classroom with the same teacher and same friends, so it will be a breeze for him but I'm having the HARDEST time...

Jen, former attorney and now SAHM to 11 yo ds and 8 yo ds

Old 07-24-2006, 01:53 AM

i'm interested in hs too but since i'm working two jobs right now and dh is about to start one its not somethintg we can do full time right now.
Old 07-24-2006, 01:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

dd was in 1/2 day K (afternoon) and starting 1st the end of aug. She's always been very easy to separate so I don't anticipate any problems there. I will have a hard time being away from her. Preschool was 6hr/week and K was 15 so 40hr/week will be a big change. Our biggest issue is the academics. dd didn't learn all she should have in K and there's a good chance she will repeat 1st. I been preparing to go back to work for a while. Dh just got a job that should include lots of travel and with the potential stress 1st grade might bring to dd I'm not sure how that will go.
Our second conern is getting awake. dd and I have been night owls all summer and she is currently waking 2hrs after she will need to for school.

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
Old 07-24-2006, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

we'll definitely have a challenge getting up early, too. dd stays up until 11, and sleeps until 10 am.
Old 07-24-2006, 11:43 AM

Starting 1st grade here. DD loooooooooved kindergarten - she is at a wonderful private school which is based on Montessori principles. She can't wait!
Old 07-24-2006, 12:33 PM

I have a dd starting first grade too. I'm scared of homework and trying to make that fit into our life.. She loved Kindergarten but I'm nervous first grade is going to be a little more intense.
Old 07-24-2006, 12:54 PM

My dd is starting first grade just after Labor Day. She can't wait!

DD is super social and always wants to be on the go. I really think that she will do well with all-day first grade.

We have gradually moved up her school hours;

At 3yo she was in school 2 mornings
4 yo 3 mornings
5 yo (kindergarten) 5 mornings
6 yo (1st grade) All day!

Personally, I am having a tough time with the idea of her staying at school all day. No more lazy afternoons and spur of the moment trips.

Moms of older kids have told me that you shift from busy days to having busy afternoons and early evenings with the kids. Now we will be running to dance, soccer, playdates, etc. after 3:30.

Can't believe that some of you are starting so soon! Didn't summer just start?

Mata~ Just read that you wanted to talk to homeschoolers on this thread. Do you want me to delete my post?
Old 07-24-2006, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

oh, no, averysmom-sorry if I wasn't clear. I meant that it would be nice to hear from everyone, not just those of us who are sending their children to school

How about a little poll today?

What is your wish list for your child's first grade year?
What sort of experience would you like to manifest for them (type of teacher, friends, etc.)
Do you have any worries or concerns (doesn't matter if they're irrational-get them out now !)

I'm also mindful of how much of our downtime will disappear-it just does not seem like there will be enough hours in the day (for me, at least.) I agree with you who say it will be harder on mom!
Old 07-24-2006, 02:10 PM

My son will be starting first grade in Sept. He is
7(we held him back from kinder when he was 5). I'm a little apprehensive because they are hiring a new first grade teacher at his school. I am just hoping he/she is a good one. They hired a new one last year also and she was not very good and didn't last. His kindergarten teacher was fabulous and I know he will miss her, even though she will just be down the hall!

He was in a full day last year so not anticipating too much adjustment there. Full day worked out really well last year.

I'm actually looking forward to a little less downtime!! It's hard to find cheap stuff to do with my kids all the time. I should have enrolled them in swimming or art classes but I procrastinated : (.

Stephanie,
mom to 7 yr old Neil and 3.5 year old Reid
Old 07-25-2006, 02:18 AM

I'll join! My oldest starts 1st grade on Aug 29. It won't be a huge transition for her as she was already used to a full day and many things will be the same (bathrooms, music and art teachers). She's mostly worried that she won't like her teacher (She LOVED her K teacher!) and if any of her friends will be in her class. Personally, I'm hoping that some of her friends aren't in her class.

Actually, my main concern right now is transitioning my youngest back to not having her big sister around all of the time. Last year, she sobbed in hysterics as her big sister happily marched off to her new classroom. I fear the same thing will happen this year. She's big into being with her sister at all times and doing almost everything together.
Old 07-25-2006, 02:35 AM

My dd is starting first grade, and she's already saying that she misses how much fun PK was, lol!
Old 07-25-2006, 02:58 AM

Oh, us too. We are going to be your token homeschoolers here. I don't have a real strong commitment to it though - we're on a waitlist for our local public alternative school, which would be perfectly acceptable. There are also a few other schools that would be fine (public Montessori, etc), if we can get a slot.

If not though, there is a very large, organized homeschool org here in my city; and the school district also has a program that provides classes, support, and cold hard cash, baby!

She has been in Montessori so far, and it was OK but got too expensive and rigid for her.

Your questions:

Uh, that we get into the alternative program. That we have many, many friends. That I can actually pull off unschooling while also making the school district happy if we homeschool, and without alienating the hard-core homeschool org by walking the line.

What sort of experience would you like to manifest for them (type of teacher, friends, etc.)

I would like her to learn through her daily experiences, to try lots of different classes that pertain to her interests (right now - horses, science and art), that her love of learning can be rekindled. She really doesn't want to go to school anymore due to social pressures.

Do you have any worries or concerns (doesn't matter if they're irrational-get them out now !)

Uh, that we won't have any friends. That we will be sick of each other and sound like the cast of "Roseanne." That her brother, who is already a tasmanian devil at eight months, will become a whirling dervish, hellbent on destruction of my personal sanity. That she won't learn anything and I will end up raising the village idiot. That they will tag-team me and I will be found cowering in my bed, muttering, "must hide...must hide...must hide..."
Old 07-25-2006, 03:03 AM

subbing - I'll come back to the questions later, just wanted to jump in. My oldest is starting 1st grade on 8/25, we actually haven't talked about it much as we are fully immersed in our endless (we wish!) summer. He did 1/2 day k for the first part of the year, and then full day (we moved). The adjustment to full day was hard on us (he was miserably tired and hungry every afternoon), but I do think being a little older helps that. This time last year he still napped a couple times a week, now, never.
Old 07-25-2006, 04:03 AM - Thread Starter

yay! I'm so excited to see this little tribe growing.

ABand3-that's exactly what I see happening with my dd-the whole lunch thing-ugh-good that you've got the adjustment out of the way.

flyingspaghettimama-I can so relate. I'll share my fears & you'll see.
Old 07-25-2006, 04:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We homeschooled until January, then DS went to PS kindergarten. He'll be starting first grade Sept 5th I'd love to chat too.

Heather married to my highschool sweetheart 6/7/02 :cop: Mother to Dani age 14 and Timmy age 10 Nadia 1/29 :
Old 07-25-2006, 05:26 AM

My daughter is also starting Grade 1 this year, and we are both a little apprehensive about it. She wants to stay in Kindergarten and is worried about missing me. I am worried about missing her, and also her staying dry at school as she tends to have accidents still when she is feeling stressed. Also she will be in a split class, a 1/2 and I worry that she will compare herself to the older kids...at the same time she does gravitate towards older kids so I know she will be happy socially in the class. Anyone else going to be in a slpit? We don't start until the first week of Sept. so I am gladly joining the tribe and I will get to see some insight before we get there.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakEmber
My daughter is also starting Grade 1 this year, and we are both a little apprehensive about it. She wants to stay in Kindergarten and is worried about missing me. I am worried about missing her, and also her staying dry at school as she tends to have accidents still when she is feeling stressed. Also she will be in a split class, a 1/2 and I worry that she will compare herself to the older kids...at the same time she does gravitate towards older kids so I know she will be happy socially in the class. Anyone else going to be in a slpit? We don't start until the first week of Sept. so I am gladly joining the tribe and I will get to see some insight before we get there.
We are the homeschoolers, but one of the schools I'd be happy to send her does splits all the way through. I would prefer it, as the school also accomodates to the individual a little better too.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondiapers
We homeschooled until January, then DS went to PS kindergarten. He'll be starting first grade Sept 5th I'd love to chat too.
Moondiapers, what made you switch from HSing?
Old 07-25-2006, 01:04 PM

My DD will be starting first grade this fall in our homeschool. She is so excited. We have taken a nice long break over the summer and will start up again during the last week of August.

My main wish for her is for her to become a comfortable reader. Her reading is coming along so well and its only a matter of time before she just bursts through to the next level.
I also wish for her and her brother to reconnect after his year of public school last year. I can already see a difference in their relationship over the summer, and I hope that it continues to strengthen as we become a complete homeschooling family again.

I really want to get into Girl Scouts this year. My DS has so many great memories and life-long friends we made through scouts and I want the same for my DD.
I want to do a lots of traveling this year, close to home. Our state has so many great places to visit that I've never even heard about even though I've lived here most of my life! DD is at the age where she is starting to remember more about our trips and experiences, so we're gearing to go!

I'm always worried at the beginning of the year that I won't be able to find the balance throughout the year in regards to homeschooling. I worry that everthing will be too structured or too relaxed and it will affect the kids. I worry that I'll expect too much or not enough. It always works out in the end though, and after 5 years of homeschooling you would think I'd have it down pat, LOL!
Old 07-25-2006, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

good morning everyone!

answering my own questions:

I'd like for her to feel more stimulated than she was in kindergarten. She loves learning and working on projects, reports, etc.-I hope they can challenge her that way. I'd also like for her to have good friendships, ones where she is treated the way she deserves to be treated. I'd like for her to feel confident in new situations, and to be comfortable being herself. I hope she is able to learn from challenging situations without being traumatized.

I hope she gets a teacher that can handle discipline problems, first of all. Her kindergarten teacher wasn't very strong in this area and it set the tone for the whole class. It seemed the class was more about dealing with behavioral issues than learning interesting topics. In the area of friends, I really hope she meets some children who are interested in being friends on the same level she is. A few of the kindergarten room moms have commented how they want dd to be in their daughters' class next year because she's a good friend to them. She doesn't play head games and genuinely cares about them. In the past dd has made the observations that "her friends don't treat her very well" and it's true. I hope she meets some kids who are a bit more caring.

These are small-the adjustment to full day, how she will be at lunch (she doesn't feel safe in the cafeteria,) etc. On a bigger scale I am concerned that she will be so different from her classmates that they will shun her. I've tried to help her embody being different to the point where people will find her interesting, but that can always backfire. I'm concerned that she'll be bullied, although I think she was able to establish her turf in kindergarten and she won't attract those kids. I don't want a repeat of her kindergarten year, where I was pretty much on edge the whole time, and worried about her. I'd like to see her enjoy it so that I can enjoy it!
Old 07-25-2006, 01:14 PM

Good questions Mata -
That is continues to be the really relaxed, positive, broad experience broad that ds enjoyed for Kinder. He loved the social aspect of it, his basic academic skills took off, and he seemed to pick up lots of additional interests through their "science" units as well as loving the art, gym and music teachers/activities.

I have actually heard good things about all of the first grade teachers at our school (I will be very stressed when waiting to find out who his second grade teacher is though as I have heard REALLY negative things about one of them who is also my neighbor so it will be very uncomfortable if I have to request a different teacher)

My biggest hope is that he continues to enjoy friendships with both boys and girls. Some of his closest friends last year were girls, but at the pool lately it seems the boys are all together and the girls are all together (though it isn't overtly exclusionary or anything but just seeming to workout that way) Also, at a birthday party last week he was really left out of the girl loop created by one of his friends girlfriends The ironic thing was that the girl leading the "run away from the bad guy" game is hs'ed and I always have heard that gender exclusionary stuff kicks in later for hs'ed kids) Anyway, I had to talk to him afterwards because he was really mad at his school friend for treating him that way and I had to sort of prepare him for the fact that sometimes as kids get older some of the boys and girls stop playing together. He was really sad and concerned that his friend/neighbor (who is going into second grade) wouldn't want to ride on the bus with him, but when he asked her he said they would always be "bus buddies"

His reading really progressed last year and they wanted him in the most challenging reading/math group, but I thought the teacher who taught the second most challenging material seemed much more interesting/creative/engaging so I resisted them "moving him up". His teacher is recommending him for the most challenging class next year and I really hope it isn't too challenging/academic/boring. I expressed my concerns and she said she thought he would be fine and that this group would allow him to work at his own level and maintain his confidence without getting bored so I am trying to trust her judgement (she was a great/experienced teacher and didn't seem overly focused on pushing kids who were not ready for more academics)

BJ
Barney & Ben
Old 07-25-2006, 01:15 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I don't have one starting K this year but she will be next year. I can't remember when my oldest started K, that was soooo long ago! My kids both attended daycare though when they were real young and then preschool so they were okay with kindergarten once that rolled around.

They all get tired at school. My oldest is almost in middle school and always comes home tired after school and just worn out. I don't think that ever changes.

19 yr old
12 yr old
5 yr old
Old 07-25-2006, 01:22 PM

I would love to join. Dss had a tough time in K last year and is not looking forward to 1 next month. Just yesterday he asked if he could be homeschooled becase he doesn't like all the yelling in school.

We are custodial parents, but his mom has already made her position (she disagrees with it) known. I told him that we'd do a trial run before school starts, now I'm in a mad rush to figure out what I'm doing.:

Either way, home or school, I would love to be a part of the off to first grade tribe.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:34 PM

Ooh, Fieryfly, we'd love to get into Girl Scouts too - also travel, if we can come up with the funds.
Old 07-25-2006, 02:14 PM

Hi! I also have a dd starting 1st grade this year. She did full day kindergarten last year and loved it. She's so excited about school starting on Aug. 14th.

I hope that she is happy first of all. I hope that she has a teacher that recognizes her intelligence even though she is shy.

I agree with a pp who wanted a teacher that has good classroom control. Her K teacher did not and there was a little boy who tormented her. I am so worried that same boy will be in her class again this year. I hope that she is tested for the gifted program (they don't do gifted in K here), so she will get the extra stimulation she needs.

My main concern is that we will be having a baby 3-4 weeks after school starts and I'm afraid that *I'll* be too overwhelmed to be as involved at school as I like to be. I want to be that parent that all of the teachers and other parents know is involved. Also, I like to be up there volunteering to really know what's going on in the school and to meet the other kids and parents. I hope I'll still be able to find time to do that.

Slightly OT-DD was in Daisy Scouts last year and had a BLAST! She is so exicted about her first Brownie meeting on Aug. 23rd. Personally, I'm a little scared of the cookie selling since Daisies don't do that and it will be our first year.
DD also is doing violin lessons and gynmastics and I'm worried that she and/or I will get burned out doing too many activities.

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)

User Tag List