August 3 1/2 YO tribe - Page 7 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#181 of 192 Old 08-29-2006, 08:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
rynna- can you explain to me what is contratictive with the jewish faith and anthroposophy? i know some about judiasm, but not enough to get that.
thanks
#182 of 192 Old 08-29-2006, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter

I kinda agree wtih rynna.

I don't like that only people of priveledge are able to send their kids to waldorf school. I don't like how anthroposophy is so guarded. I don't like how those people (who are so guarded about anthroposophy), can be alone with kids for hours/days/months/years even.

I like how they use natural fibres, and stories and such, but home life can be like that too.
#183 of 192 Old 08-29-2006, 09:26 PM

the idea of waldorf started as a school for everyone.. no matter what class they came from.. it has only become something for the rich( in a lot of communities because its expensive to run the schools themselves) ..it wasn't meant to be that way. i believe that where it started (in germany) it was funded by the government and still is.. whereas in canada, north ameica, it isnt) and as ive learned there are waldorf schools that dont cost as much..and some that subsidise a lot and others that dont.. it just depends where you fall.. there is one on the sunshine coast, near where i live, that has a lot of lower class kids( i really hate making these generilizations BTW).. the parents are mostly hippies and such.. the yuppie kids go to private schools, not waldorf.. but in north vancouver (where i live) its expensive and its mostly wealthy folk who send there kids there.. a huge part of that is the cost of rent for the school.. north vancouver is expensive.. the sun haven school has free rent. big difference. i think it has a lot to do with the communty it is in.

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#184 of 192 Old 08-29-2006, 09:43 PM

yeah, waldorf is a lot cheaper then any other alternative here. but maybe if it was an actual school it would be different. in fact, a lot of the parents have financial problems , so they are definetly not "privledged".

each community, yeah , will be different.
#185 of 192 Old 08-29-2006, 11:56 PM

OMG, I have been feeling so much anxiety about the school subject lately. Everyone keeps making stupid comments about J and Z needing to go to preschool, and why am I crazy enough to actually stay home with them all day? It is driving me insane! They are only 3! I thought I had until 5 to worry about this. The thing that bothers me the most is having to give up control on what/who my children are exposed to by sending them to school... I just can't do it. I need to have my eyes on them at all times to know they are safe, because society is just plain crazy.

Rynna I tried the tweezers and Zach's is too far down, but it is big and yucky. Julianna's is too dry to bring out with tweezers, that's why I was wondering if some oil would help lube it out, YK? She actually had to go to an ENT doc when she was a baby to get some nasty wax removed because she failed an OAE in Early Intervention and she was so delayed that they thought she had a hearing impairment.

Leah coolshine.gif adoptionheart-1.gif homebirth.jpg

Hubby guitar.gif, ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, adopted dd (10) notes2.gif, dd (6) dust.gif, dd (1) femalesling.GIF & 3 foster dd's wheelchair.gif upsidedown.gif diaper.gif  

#186 of 192 Old 08-30-2006, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eilonwy
Bean's a big fan of letters and numbers. I would never have suggested writing to him at all at this point; I taught myself to read at two, but I couldn't write legibly until I was nearly seven (even then, my handwriting *sucked*). If he wasn't so desperate to do it and frustrated by being unable to write, I would never have brought it up at all. Writing requires an entirely different set of skills than reading, or math, or really anything. Anyway, my own inclination is not to even attempt handwriting with a child until they're 6 or 7, unless they drag you into it sooner or show a remarkable aptitude (like BooBah).
i forgot to reply to this. yeah, this is pretty much what i thought. and yeah, i'd have no problem teaching k to write letters if she wanted me to. She is really interested in letters and numbers too, but not to the extent of writing. :P
i'm kinda wondering if i misunderstood the woman who told me the letters thing. i thought she said her daughter could write letters, now i'm wondering if she meant she recognizes her letters, or something like that.
#187 of 192 Old 08-30-2006, 11:14 PM - Thread Starter

I wonder how punkprincess is doing.
#188 of 192 Old 08-31-2006, 02:07 AM

hahahahahah. y'all know way more than me and i've been unschooling all this time.

in the end, it does always depend on the "institution" - the person running it, the children and parents involved.

i'm homeschooling because the options here are pitiful in combination with my three intense kids and the firstborn being impossible to put in any kind of school situation until recently without severe labeling. of course i don't want to let them go...but i would be much more okay with it now that clay and reed have certain self-sufficiency and integrity. my main problem with having them home is that they are seeking a structure that points towards schooling. and i don't mean lessons. i mean the experience of having to get up and go somewhere and follow a bunch of someone else's rules and be around other people so that they can figure out more who they are.

the hardest part about homeschooing is mostly about me, being a mamma alone. i am no substitute for a bunch of kids in the right environment to interact with .....(here they aren't allowed to even talk during lunch so there isn't much comparison - this is the state where it is illegal to not say yes maam)
it is also difficult for me to claim so many kinds of authority. my kids deserve to have more and different adult contact and role models, and would learn basics of civility from the herd mentality. i have to be the ultimate when everything is wrong comfort to the absolute dictator: this is the way the world is, and the ten different steps in between. i would love for different adults and natural social situations to take on some of this responsibility. any friend of mine that my kids respect that says to them, "hey, that is not okay" is the hugest benefical influence. i need more of that so i can be the nurturer, the giver, the chef, the fixer.
i'm working really hard to get this newish social homeschool group going but it is still not the same as an enforced habit that i feel my kids need.

i find homeschooling for little ones is not the most healthy situation since i don't have a village of equals in which we can meander. maybe it will be better as i fully realize myself. i still hold in my head the basic idea that i will model being the adult i want them to be, and they will follow what they want. i do worry a little, yes me virgo, that the world they grow into will be ruled by schooled people. they will have never learned the skill of doing something that they really didn't want to do. idealistically that sounds great, but i am finding that it is hard to teach or show or prepare them for such realities in this particular world. i'm looking for balance.

me and friends have considered - why don't we just put our ruby age kids in school for a year or so, and then take them out. but like i said, the schools here are scary to me. scary in that i am astonished at the results, the schoolkids i see and know. they are completely flattenned. so i choose my crazy life. but many diehard committed homeschooling friends who have moved out of state to greener school situations are now thrilled with school and all seem happy. sooo...i'm gonna have to run a school or move away?

and after having said all that, ruby does write some letters. she has been writing r's and b's legibly and easily for awhile - the others are almost there.

in two years she will probably be making everyone's schedules. i had no idea that there could be something worse than reed kicking me in the head to wake up every morning. ruby starts my day with incessant itineraries like today's: "wake up! get up mom! i need to feed geen and you can unlock the door. i don't know where your keys are (thank goodness) there's no more tea. i like sweet tea. get up and make some, i'm thirsty. i want to paint the birdhouse and put birdseed in it! (pulls on the blankets) come on mom, get up! i don't know where the paint is. can you get the paint for me now? i want to help you cook something i'm hungry! please mom. clay needs help on the computer. get up! i want a ponytail in the back here's the comb. (pushes comb in my hand)
#189 of 192 Old 08-31-2006, 02:19 AM - Thread Starter

casina, thats cute.

i agree school kinda simulates community. I just don't know what will happen once H is school age.
#190 of 192 Old 08-31-2006, 08:56 AM

Before I started working out at a ridiculous hour in the morning, BeanBean often awoke me that way, too. Well, no ponytail requests; his hair isn't long enough. Though he decided last month that he wants to let his hair grow, and was very pleased to note the differences in his hair already. I don't know how long he wants it, only that he wants to let it grow...

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#191 of 192 Old 08-31-2006, 11:11 AM

So I asked BeanBean what he wants to be for Halloween this year. "Do you remember dressing up and trick-or-treating last year?" "No." "You dressed up as Princess Fiona, remember? You got lots of candy?" "Oh yeah! My dress wasn't green."

That's what he remembers-- that he wanted to be Princess Fiona in the *green* dress, but I couldn't find any (appropriate) green material, so his dress was white and pink instead. Not the candy, not talking to people, not the houses all decorated-- his dress was the wrong color. The kid's a riot.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#192 of 192 Old 09-01-2006, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page