Lovable language mistakes... - Page 8 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#211 of 238 Old 09-06-2006, 02:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
One I haven't figured out is that dd calls things "Pullman this" or "Pullman that". I can't get her to tell me what "Pullman" means. She'll say, "Oh, that's a Pullman bird." Or "Mommy have you seen my Pullman pillow?" We cannot for the life of us figure out what the word means, what it connotates or how she came up with it. : She's 4, btw.

The other day just to see what she'd say, I said, "Oh, that's a Pullman pencil, isn't it?" She says, "Of course it's not. Are you being silly??" :
#212 of 238 Old 09-06-2006, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by velochic
One I haven't figured out is that dd calls things "Pullman this" or "Pullman that". I can't get her to tell me what "Pullman" means. She'll say, "Oh, that's a Pullman bird." Or "Mommy have you seen my Pullman pillow?" We cannot for the life of us figure out what the word means, what it connotates or how she came up with it. : She's 4, btw.

The other day just to see what she'd say, I said, "Oh, that's a Pullman pencil, isn't it?" She says, "Of course it's not. Are you being silly??" :
thats so cool

please let us know if you ever find out what it means
#213 of 238 Old 09-06-2006, 05:19 PM
Banned

my 2.5 yo says "go-gees" for yogurt. "goo-goo" for sugar (the dog). And everything is "mine". "Where my daddy go? "Why my Julie crying?" He calls monkeys "Boobees". When he hears something and isn't sure what it is he says "My...my....my....sound?"

He cracks me up.

Oh yea and whenever he walks to clos to the stream we always say "Be careful not to fall" in a sing songy voice, and so now he says "do-dee do-dee do-dee fall"
#214 of 238 Old 09-06-2006, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarchamama
shitty bamboons
:
#215 of 238 Old 09-06-2006, 08:12 PM

Quote:

That is hilarious. Did you happen to see my post about my four year old and her 'pylon goat' thing? Where do they get this stuff
#216 of 238 Old 09-06-2006, 09:37 PM

Quote:

OMG, I have posted on this thread a million times already saying how funny it is, but once again I am laughing so hard! It is hilarious what kids come up with!

On another listserv I'm on, people were talking about how some kids make up identities or different names for themselves and insist on being called by it- like 'i'm a kitty' or whatever- and someone said their son insisted on being called Package Dwokes Vent and Infant for years and they never knew what it meant or where it came from! I giggle every time I think of it!
#217 of 238 Old 09-06-2006, 10:44 PM

I know a child who has an imaginary dog named New York Interested.
#218 of 238 Old 09-06-2006, 11:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
bana for banana
breffist for breakfast
sarrul for cereal, and seeyul for cereal
skabletti for spaghetti, and supaletty for spaghetti
waterpillar for caterpillar and calapiller for caterpillar
ditduh for doggie
thery and derry for very
i forgot upside up for right side up.
#219 of 238 Old 09-07-2006, 04:33 PM

My dd loved "boo shoots" (bamboo shoots) when she was 3. She also like to help her Dad when he was fixing things and would ask for a "skoow dobber" (screw driver). I still smile when I think about it.

My husband's aunt told me I should write these down. I thought I would remeber all of these little things forever ... but a lot are fading away.
#220 of 238 Old 10-10-2006, 02:21 AM

I remembered another one.
Instead of "diaper bag", he still says, "diker bag". He can say diaper alone, but for some reason whenever he says diaper bag, it comes out as 'diker bag'.
#221 of 238 Old 10-10-2006, 04:21 AM

I can't even type the way my dd says banana. She makes that sound that you get when you move your tongue in and out of your mouth across your lip/ top teeth: bliberbliberbliberblih.

She also calls yogurt go-go, and she was very confused the other day when I said I was going to yoga class. "Go go-go, Mommy? Nummy!"
#222 of 238 Old 10-10-2006, 11:09 AM

My DS (almost 5) calls Pinocchio "Permilkio."

He also uses the word "between" when he should use "beside." (i.e., "It's over there between my bed.")

I think these are the only two he has left!

One I used to looove when he was younger was "tippy tup" for sippy cup. It was so cute when he said it!
#223 of 238 Old 10-10-2006, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hera View Post
I can't even type the way my dd says banana. She makes that sound that you get when you move your tongue in and out of your mouth across your lip/ top teeth: bliberbliberbliberblih.
YES! Great description. My two youngest have used this word (for us it's more like blahnl-blahnl) for banana, watermelon and strawberry.
#224 of 238 Old 10-10-2006, 12:45 PM

"Is today tomorrow Mommy?"

love that one. :
#225 of 238 Old 10-10-2006, 05:02 PM

Here's a parenting lesson combined with a language funny:

DD (3) was calling our back yard the garden, and then she got exposed to the tv show the Backyardigans, so now she calls it the Backyardigan. So, the other night she says she wants to go blow bubbles in the Backyardigan. DH says, "you mean the backyard?" to which I reply "oh, that one's cute - we don't have to correct it" (we have very different philosophies on correcting language). To which he says back "It is our job to teach her what is correct."

Without missing a beat, my brilliant daughter says "It is MY job to teach MY Daddy what is correct."

I seriously laughed so hard I wet my pants. It was the highlight of my week, and I'm sure I'll be telling that story til I die.
#226 of 238 Old 10-10-2006, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipumpkins View Post
My DD hasd been very articualte ever since she could say, "hi" which was her 1st word, however there are jsut some language mistakes that I adore and am not ready to correct. My DD says, "no I amn't" instead of , "no I'm not" which is just so adorable to me that i don't want to fix it. I don't say it back to her but I don't go out of my way to change it, either. She also says, "ambliance" for ambulance and calls Palm trees "Pom pom " trees.

So tell me some of your DC's language errors that are so much fun to hear.
OMG!!!!!

I was so happy to read this, because my 4.5 year old does the same thing! I thought she was the only one!

I thought it was cute too, but my dh has started correcting her now.

We had a talk about it and I realized that dh and I tend to say "You aren't" instead of "You're not." The correlary of "aren't" is, of course, "amen't." It's lead me to wonder of "aren't" is incorrect. I want to blame dh because he's from the midwest, but I wonder if I say it too.

Have you noticed that you use aren't? Do you think there's a correlation?
#227 of 238 Old 10-10-2006, 06:23 PM

My 5 yr old son is learning rhyming sounds in kindergarten and is spewing forth the funniest combos.
Example: The other morning he wanders into the kitchen saying, "Buckles....buckles....buckles rhymes with....FUCKLES!"

OMG
I was really trying not to laugh out loud! I hope he doesn't volunteer that example in class!
#228 of 238 Old 10-11-2006, 12:22 AM

My little sister had a bit of speech problem when she was little, she said "t" instead of "k/c". Some of the older boys on the school bus would make fun of her for saying "titty" instead of "kitty" (kitten). However she never knew what "titty" was until later.

She was so cute though.
#229 of 238 Old 10-11-2006, 07:48 AM

My 11 yo asked me yesterday, "Who is Harry Colic Junior"?
#230 of 238 Old 10-11-2006, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyofshmoo View Post
We had a talk about it and I realized that dh and I tend to say "You aren't" instead of "You're not." The correlary of "aren't" is, of course, "amen't." It's lead me to wonder of "aren't" is incorrect. I want to blame dh because he's from the midwest, but I wonder if I say it too.

Have you noticed that you use aren't? Do you think there's a correlation?

Yes, 'you aren't' is fine to use. It's simply 'you are not', the apostrophe signifying the absence of the 'o'. It means the same as 'you're not'. Just that the contraction is in a different place.
#231 of 238 Old 10-11-2006, 02:16 PM

Quote:
My 5 yr old son is learning rhyming sounds in kindergarten and is spewing forth the funniest combos.
Example: The other morning he wanders into the kitchen saying, "Buckles....buckles....buckles rhymes with....FUCKLES!"
MY DD also enjoys making up rhymes. We went to a music festival the day after she had asked some questions about male anatomy. And thus...

"FESTIVAL rhymes with TESTICLE!"

grateful mother to DD, 1/04, and DS, 2/08

#232 of 238 Old 10-11-2006, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loraxc View Post
MY DD also enjoys making up rhymes. We went to a music festival the day after she had asked some questions about male anatomy. And thus...

"FESTIVAL rhymes with TESTICLE!"

OH MY GOSH! I am cracking up here!
#233 of 238 Old 10-11-2006, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodcents View Post
"Is today tomorrow Mommy?"

love that one. :
ha ha ha ha. I am laughing so hard at these, my boys are just giggling away and have no idea what I"m laughing at!

LOL, the testical festival- my 3 yo keeps asking who said something funny.
#234 of 238 Old 10-12-2006, 12:30 AM

My 3yo calls spaghetti "Gazinni"
My almost 6 YO calls breakfast - "brefkast"

They both have been heard saying, "Amn't I?"

Mama to 3 kiddles. joy.giffencing.gif Doing my best and trying to stay afloat.vbac.gif

#235 of 238 Old 10-12-2006, 12:31 AM

ANother one- my DD said the other day, "I'm too tired of just ONE cookie"

Mama to 3 kiddles. joy.giffencing.gif Doing my best and trying to stay afloat.vbac.gif

#236 of 238 Old 10-12-2006, 12:37 AM

This isn't a mistake, but funny anyway. I just bought some "Rainforest" loose-leaf herbal tea, with all kinds of barks, and a very earthy smell. My 4-year-old has started calling it "jungle mulch" .
#237 of 238 Old 10-12-2006, 11:06 PM

When being served something he likes ds says " I want to much" in response to any amount we suggest, he is sure to much is more than whats on offer.
#238 of 238 Old 10-12-2006, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarchamama View Post
When being served something he likes ds says " I want to much" in response to any amount we suggest, he is sure to much is more than whats on offer.
Ha! My son says that too lately. Or if wants to do something for a long time, he'll say that he wants to do it for "too long".

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page