Would you take your child to the circus? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-23-2003, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Part of me feels like DD would love it, and part of me feels like circuses are unnatural and cruel. I'm totally torn. What would you do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2003, 07:08 PM

I definitely would not take my child to a circus w/animals. I find it very cruel and inhumane.

But I would take him to Cirque de Soleil (no animals).
Old 03-23-2003, 07:17 PM

No way!!! You're absolutely right, circuses ARE unnatural and cruel. There are plenty of other fun things you can do with your child. Please don't support such blatent cruelty. Doing so will be like tellig your daughter that this is acceptable and fun behavior. These animals are NOT treated kindly and do not do those stupid tricks b/c they enjoy it. They do it out of fear. Your gut has told you not to go, please listen to your instincts.
Old 03-23-2003, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, thanks, that's what I needed to hear. I know that it's wrong, but I kinda felt like I was being a stick in the mud. I'd be thrilled if Cirque de Soliel came here!
Old 03-23-2003, 08:47 PM

Nope, no circus goers here. Way unnatural and cruel.
Old 03-23-2003, 08:53 PM

I don't go to the circus, and sometimes feel guilty even going to the zoo. (a friend of mine won't ever set her foot in the zoo) but at least the animals are not abused at the zoo, and its the only time my son will probably see any of them in the flesh....
Chelly
Old 03-23-2003, 09:18 PM

I went to a circus in Italy and I hated it. The girl who I went with also hated it. They treat the animals so badly. I will never go to one again
Old 03-23-2003, 09:31 PM

nope, we won't go either, for the same reasons given above, in fact, I have NEVER been to a circus (I'm 32!). Our zoo is very humane and small, we love it there.

Cirque is coming here next month, I would LOVE to see that.
Old 03-23-2003, 09:49 PM

I went to the Barnum and Bailey circus when i was like 5 years old.. I remember feeling bad for the animals.. They weren't being mean to them in anyway a 5 year old would underrstand, but i felt they were somehow being humiliated.. So even little kids get it..

I don't thnk we wil ever take our boys..

Warm Squishy Feelings...

Dyan

It's lonely being the only XX in a house of XYs.
Old 03-23-2003, 10:49 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all of the support/advice on this. Yeah, we've only been to one zoo (in San Diego) and even that felt strange. I'll be proud for DD to grow up knowing that we don't think that circuses are humane. She's already an animal lover at almost 2, so I think it will make sense to her. I just really wanted to check in and make sure that I wasn't being unreasonable.
Old 03-23-2003, 11:58 PM
Banned

The B and B circus is INCREDIBLY loud. NOT worth the money. Then they jack up the food prices, too.
Old 03-24-2003, 12:16 AM

I would never take my kids. They are so cruel and just wrong.

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
Old 03-24-2003, 12:20 AM

We have gone to a small, family owned, animal free circus the last few years. It is really incredible (and WAY less expensive than Circue d Expensivel)and the kids love it. We just moved, and I am not sure if this circus will be performing in our new town yet, but I hope so!
Old 03-24-2003, 12:36 AM

I have once. We were given free tickets and so we went. The kids did enjoy it, but it won't exactly happen again if I have any say.

We do go to the zoo.
Old 03-24-2003, 12:42 AM

No circus here either
Moving this to the childhood years
Old 03-24-2003, 02:23 AM

Before we had kids we went with a group of friends to a circus not B&B another one a russian one forget the name,anyway they had this act with bears that stood on their hine legs and wore tutus and did these tricks it was the most unatural thing I have ever seen. I am not one given to public displays of emotion but this freaked me out so much I started to cry and a girl we were with was crying too we had to get up and leave. It was like from as far away as we were sitiing you could tell the bears were miserable. I vowed never to go again. We took dd to cirgue last year. She is 5 and some parts kinda scared her a little it is not scary per say but they dim the lights eary music comes on the guy comes out he does not talk I think it was just a little much for her. Just aheads up if you have children who are kinda sensitive to that stuff maybe keep that in mind. We should have let her watch the specials on Bravo first, then got her feeling for it.
Old 03-24-2003, 02:46 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I wouldn't take her because I am creeped out by clowns and wouldn't want my dd to be exposed to them.

www.ihateclowns.com
Old 03-24-2003, 03:03 AM

oooooooo...greaseball...I hate clowns too :sinister
Old 03-24-2003, 01:40 PM

Never never never to the circus!!!! AcK! We did compromise our ethics yesterday and took ds to the zoo. We still feel bad about it, although he loved it (he is 14 months and loves animals so much). We thought rather than make in an absolute "NO!" type thing that will just make him want to go more when he is older (it is like the thing to do around here with your kids), we would try to educate him on the animals, and help him realize that our 4 goats have more room to roam then the 4 elephants pacing back and forth....
Old 03-24-2003, 03:46 PM

I feel the same way as you guys about taking my child to human performing circus rather than a animal based. Humans seem to have much more rights. I used to really enjoy the big cats in the circus when I was a child. I really love animals, and so does my son. We watch discovery channel but some day I would like to take him on safari where the animals don't live in captivity.... wouldn't it be great?
Old 03-24-2003, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by amma
We watch discovery channel but some day I would like to take him on safari where the animals don't live in captivity.... wouldn't it be great?
My Dh and I went to South Africa and stayed in the Kruger national park for our honeymoon....... I took my son to africa when he was 2, and to a different game park (Mpongo Park) for one day. He got to see all kinds of animals, and even a baby chimp that grabbed and held his hand! (Awwwwwww)

We'll go again!! in a heartbeat.......
Chelly
Old 03-25-2003, 10:07 AM

Ditto to what everyone's said about performing animals.

How old is your dd? My husband and I saw Cirque de Soleil last year and while we enjoyed it, it was very dark, and parts of it were intense. I would not take my children (ages 6, 4, and 2) because some of the costumes, lighting, amd other effects would be too scary.

My children have watched a Cirque video from the library, though. On the small screen in our well-lighted family room it was fine.
Diana
Old 03-25-2003, 05:29 PM

No circuses with animals for us. Seeing animals exploited in that way really upsets me. I do remember loving it as a kid, though, but I didn't know any better!

Dh and I love to watch Cirque on cable, and when dd is older, maybe 8 or 9, we'll take her. It does seem like it may be a little too freaky for a four-year-old (dd's age), plus it is $$$$$$!
Old 03-27-2003, 11:39 PM

We would never go either. I saw a 20/20 special once on BArnum and Bailey, horrible treatment of the animals.
When I lived in NC-I joined an animal rights group-they were protesting a circus in town. They said the reason the elephants wore the head pieces was to hide the scars from being abused in order to do the tricks. Sickening.
Greaseball-I also hate clowns-I got a laugh out of the website! Thanks!
Old 03-28-2003, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Chelly2003
but at least the animals are not abused at the zoo
It really depends on the zoo. A lot of them a) don't abide by humane standards and b) even the big well-respected zoos sell off their excess/old animals to the crappy mean little zoos.

If the zoo looks like a horrible place to live for an animal - ie cement pen/cage, nothing to do except pace, it probably is horrible for the animal.

It's such a downer....

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

Old 03-28-2003, 03:36 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
No we don't. I was torn for a while but they do really treat the animals badly. also I hate clowns. period.

as for the zoo, I don't know about zoos nation wide but most of the animals at our zoo are part of the species survival plan and are there for purposes of increasing the population and a lot are injured and unable to survive in the wild (these two groups make up 50%-75% of exhibits) The rest are more or less dmestic and farm animals. Kinda silly to see them in the zoo but whatever. Also our zoo is pretty good about keeping mommy's and babies together. Which is nice.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

Old 03-28-2003, 11:10 AM

Yes, our zoo is more of a wildlife preservation park, too. They also keep mamas and babies together. The last time we were there, we got to see a mama gorilla nursing her baby! My dd loved that and told everyone who could hear that her mommy fed her that way, too!!!
Old 03-30-2003, 08:47 AM

nup! Why take them to a circus when you live in one.
Old 03-30-2003, 10:13 AM

My 5-year-old has never been to a circus or a zoo. We do take her to a wildlife preserve often, where she can see giraffes and zebras and deer nursing their babies.

We have taken her to a tiger rescue shelter, where a wonderful woman rescues tigers from stupid people who think tigers would make a good pet.

We have taken her to a bird sanctuary to drop off a little bird that fell out of a nest. We couldn't find the nest so we took the bird to a "bird lady" who sent it to the sanctuary. She cried because she missed the bird so much so we took her to the bird sanctuary to visit the bird. She still writes letters to Pogli.

I understand that in Houston, Texas, the Barnum & Bailey circus travels to the city, everybody gets arrested, they spend the night and jail and go on to the next city. This happens every year, supposedly. I never confirmed the story.

I LOVED the circus as a little girl but I think it was mostly because it was a fun family event and we got to spend money (we even got a toy!). But we sat so high up in the bleachers that we really couldn't see anything, probably why I couldn't see the cruelty.
Old 04-01-2003, 03:38 AM

I'm so glad I found this. I felt like I was denying our child of a "childhood experience", but it just didn't feel right to go to a circus with animals. Isn't it funny how things have changed since we were kids.

User Tag List