Teaching them to eat with CHOPSTICKS!!! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 01-26-2002, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Any experiences?

My New Year's Resolution was to learn to eat WELL with chopsticks, and eat as much as I can with them...

Doing well so far...

And Owen wants to get into it. He wants me to get him his own pair of chopsticks...

GREAT!!!

Have you taught your 3 year old-ish how to do this? I'm looking into getting those children ones that are connected up top to make it easier?? Know where I can get them??

I'm excited to do this!!

Love,
Emily

#2 of 9 Old 01-26-2002, 11:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dd knows how to do it, she learned by herself, cause i can't use them worth beans!! Dh told her how to hold them, vaguely, cause she is left handed and we're both right handed, go figure.
She has her own pair that she uses frequently. SIL took dd and cousin out to eat Japanese last week and Ellie (dd) said they had the chopsticks that are connected for kids to eat with. She said she didn't need em! Maybe try to get a pair at a chinese or japanese restaurant?

Good luck! I still can't figure out how to use them well!

Sue

mother of invention, currently raising hell with four great kids, dd, 15, ds, 15, ds, 11 and ds, 8. also gestating a new wee one! due 9/29 whistling.gif

#3 of 9 Old 01-27-2002, 02:11 AM

tried.....failed....tried again.....failed.....gave up! LOL

I love eating with chopsticks too but I don't think i do it right b/c i'll start getting a hand cramp after awhile.

About the kid ones....can't you just use a rubberband at the top?
#4 of 9 Old 01-27-2002, 02:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
MssGrl, THAT'S TOO PRACTICAL!!! :LOL

Look at these!!!
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...tem=1800984227

HOW CUTE CAN YOU GET?!?!?!

I'm trying to find some at another place for less expensive... the shipping is $5!!!

I'm hoping he gets the hang of it!!! I think it would be FABULOUS to see him eating with them!

Love,
Emily

#5 of 9 Old 01-27-2002, 07:31 AM

Happyday8598 we have a pair of those chopsticks that are on ebay. I forget which animal we have. They are great, except they are as long or longer than adult/normal size chopsticks, so they can be hard for a little hand to use.

Another thing you can do (which is really inexpensive) is take the wrapper that is on the chopsticks and roll/fold it up (width wise not length wise) then put it between the chopsticks at the top and wrap a small rubberband around it forming a X pattern to keep the paper snug. It creates a great set of usable "squeeze and they open back up by themself" type of chopsticks. It works great! Dd1 has been using chopsticks that way since she was 2 1/2 or 3. She is quite good at them, she can pick up rice and peas! I must also add that my dh has been a Sushi chef (doesn't do it anymore for a living) for 13 years now. So when I was pg w/ dd2 (I craved sushi like there was no tomorrow) we went out alot to eat it or he made it at home so dd1 got alot of exposure to using chopsticks.

Good luck with your chopstick adventure!
#6 of 9 Old 01-27-2002, 03:28 PM

My three year old would also love to learn how, and hasn't quite got it yet. My dad taught my sister and I how at about 4 or so, because we went wilderness backpacking every vacation, and once we could all use chopsticks, we only had to carry a sharp knife, a couple large spoons and a pancake turner in our "kitchen"

....living, learning and loving everyday with the Sweet Pea Bridgade
#7 of 9 Old 01-28-2002, 11:13 PM

My dd uses "kid chopsticks" at Chinese and Japanese restaurants, and they are exactly how rocketmom describes them, with the rolled-up paper and rubber band. She can even eat noodles with them!
#8 of 9 Old 01-29-2002, 12:01 AM

Well, I live in Japan, and I have never seen chop-sticks as per eBay. They look like something that would only be sold in the US for people that are not in the chopstick "culture".

Three year olds here are not expected to be able to be use chops sticks properly anyway. They scoop it up, and shuvel it in!

a

The anti-Ezzo king
#9 of 9 Old 01-31-2002, 07:44 PM

My three yr old has her own inventive way of eating with chopsticks. She spears tofu and veggies with them! and she sometimes uses one in each hand...whatever gets the food in her mouth the fastest is OK with her! LOL

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page