Inexpensive pants for slim boys? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 08-17-2006, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My ds is suddenly too tall for all his size 5 pants, but the thrift/hand me downs I have collected in size 6 are HUGE in the waist. Any suggestions about inexpensive brands that offer size 6 slims?

BJ
Barney & Ben
#2 of 19 Old 08-17-2006, 10:55 PM

Here I can often find Gap kids' jeans at the thrift stores in a slim size. Check around - they will have 'slim' written on the tag. Newer Gap jeans and pants I get at a kids' consignment store nearby all have the adjustable waists hidden inside like maternity pants and have found they work well too.

Also we have great luck with vintage pants and jeans. Stuff from the 70s etc tends to run much slimmer than the current sizes.

ETA: I hate the Gap as a company and won't buy new, but if I do find them used they work great for our DS. I've also found Levis fit slim. DS likes the retro look so when we pick up jeans we pick them up from the girls' section as they are flared and not as baggy and boxy in their shape so that might have to do with how well they fit too.
#3 of 19 Old 08-17-2006, 11:38 PM

The ones we bought at Target have the adjustable waist. As do Childrens Place and they have great sales.
#4 of 19 Old 08-17-2006, 11:51 PM

You can get gap on the clearance rack cheap. Really cheap.

I know some don't like them, ok, I respect that, perhaps you can get them secondhand. They have nifty little elastic in the waistband with buttonholes and a set of buttons up in the interior front which are used to adjust the waist.

Customized fit, very helpful when you have slim children (they have them in their girls and boys clothing.)
#5 of 19 Old 08-18-2006, 12:27 AM

I second the adjustable-waist pants! I have found them at Old Navy, Gap, Target and Children's Place. My now 7 year old DD is tall and slim, too...and the adjustable pants are perfect for her.

Mama to A born 8/7/99
#6 of 19 Old 08-18-2006, 08:38 AM

I also have a very slim ds. What works really well is a GIRLS slim cut jean. The girls sizes tend to run longer than the boys sizes, thus a girls size 5 slim is usually longer than a boys size 5 slim. I learned this when I used to work in retail. You can't tell any difference in plain, unembellished jeans. This works really well for my ds. I also like Mervyn's brand boys jeans as they tend to run really slim.
#7 of 19 Old 08-18-2006, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everybody! We are going to try to find some this afternoon. It sort of makes me laugh to be looking for long slim pants for ds because my dh is 6'4" and about 185...we have spent so much time looking for adult tall, but not big. DH jokes he is going to open a store called "Lankys"

BJ
Barney & Ben
#8 of 19 Old 08-18-2006, 03:51 PM

Ds isn't a "slim" but he isn't a "regular" either Those adjustable waist pants are perfect, I don't know about your location or what is "inexpensive" to you but I've found OshKosh ones at Costco for 9 dollars a pair and gotten them at the Osh kosh outlet for 6. Ds's size 4's he was able to wear for 2 winters and they still look perfect.

Mom to ds 9 dd 7 : and dd 3/08 : if I can I go to
#9 of 19 Old 08-18-2006, 03:55 PM

Old Navy has the same adjustable interior tabs on kid's waistbands, probably because they're a sister company of Gap Old Navy is considered the "mainstream" edition, while Gap is the "Preppy" version. They work great for us!

Sarah - Mama to Vic (1/19/00), Syd (4/06/02) Sam (4/20/06-born at 30wk2d), JackJack (2/14/07) and Charlie (4/30/10)
#10 of 19 Old 08-18-2006, 05:41 PM

We have the same problem here. DS is very tall and slim in the waist. Even the adjustable waists on regular jeans are too big. I found the Old Navy slim regular fit jeans to work the best. They also have an adjustable waist and the legs are not so wide.

Mom to Zach eat.gif , 2 cat.gif, 1dog2.gif, and a whole lot of goldfish.gif!!!! 
#11 of 19 Old 08-18-2006, 05:56 PM

Sears and Mervyn's (if you live near any of those stores) both carry slim versions of their regular pants, and/or also have adjustable waists.
#12 of 19 Old 08-19-2006, 02:40 AM

Mervyn's High Sierra brand has slims and you can get them for around $10. I also think they are a good quality. My ds had them for the whole fall/winter/spring and they are still in good shape.
#13 of 19 Old 08-19-2006, 09:13 AM

walmart has reasonably priced Lee jeans.

Single (divorced), self-employed working, college student MOM to:

17 yr old

11 yr old 

4 yr old

#14 of 19 Old 08-19-2006, 09:49 AM

First choice for my beanpole kid is Gap. But I don't always want to spend 25 bucks on jeans for him to destroy. Walmart's George brand has adjustable waist, and they look pretty sauve, too. I hate Walmart, but if I don't shop there a bit I'll probably go broke. Yep. The George ones are about 10 or 15 bucks here. (And thats Canadian, so like 50 cents american. hehehehe. not quite, but you get what I mean.)
#15 of 19 Old 08-19-2006, 09:55 AM

I was in Old Navy a couple of nights ago and they were having a 2 for $25 sale on kids jeans (but $16.50 if you only buy one pair). Not sure if it was just in our store, or if they do their sales nationally.

Not as cheap as I like to buy things, but it was close enough to my threshold that I relented.

Mama to three small people; wife to one big person; pet-person to cats and dogs..."Be the change you want to see in the world"-- Gandhi
#16 of 19 Old 08-19-2006, 12:16 PM

Nothing new other than chiming in what works for us....Levi's, Old Navy or sweats!!

Liz~A wife and homeschooling mother to two gifts from God!
#17 of 19 Old 08-19-2006, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadean
I was in Old Navy a couple of nights ago and they were having a 2 for $25 sale on kids jeans (but $16.50 if you only buy one pair). Not sure if it was just in our store, or if they do their sales nationally.

Not as cheap as I like to buy things, but it was close enough to my threshold that I relented.
The sale is nationwide. You can also get them online. I just bought some for ds.

Mom to Zach eat.gif , 2 cat.gif, 1dog2.gif, and a whole lot of goldfish.gif!!!! 
#18 of 19 Old 08-19-2006, 06:22 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
sears works for my kiddo. He is a size 4t waist, but size 7 length. Sears' brand, the kids place ( or something like that). They have jeans and khakis and are about $13 regular price, but look for sales.

( I have issues with sears, but haven't found anything that works at the childrens place, gap, old navy, ll bean, lands end, etc.)

Me.  With 1 spouse, 4 kids, 16 chickens, 74 matchbox cars, 968,562+ legos, a dishwasher waiting to be emptied, a washing machine waiting to be filled and a lost cup of tea in the house.

#19 of 19 Old 08-19-2006, 11:35 PM

K-mart (if near you) has wonderkids that seem slim and some have adj. waist
Also The childrens place has a sale on their adj. waist jeans and will probably give you a 15% off coupon too if you ask

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page