Help! Fun afterschool activities for 9 and 10 year-old boys! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 08-31-2006, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just found out I will be caring for my friends' 9 and 10 year old boys every day after school. I would like to plan some fun things for them to do and play with, but I don't know them that well yet. I am an Early Childhood Educator by trade, so I am stressed because I want to make these boys welcome- they aremoving here from away and starting a new school here next week!
Please just list all your ideas from toys, games, activities, trends among this age group as I am totally out of the loop!

Thanks dudelettes!
#2 of 11 Old 09-01-2006, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

bump
#3 of 11 Old 09-01-2006, 08:03 PM

How about some games? Video, computer, and/or board type maybe. A movie? Baking something? Water fight? legos or K'nex or some other building set?

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#4 of 11 Old 09-01-2006, 10:07 PM - Thread Starter

nak

Thanks, those are great ideas unschoolnma. Do, kids this age like plasticene?
I know I love it....i don't want to really progam them to death, they get enough of that at school.

Please keep the ideas coming:
#5 of 11 Old 09-02-2006, 12:39 AM

My nephew is 10 and when he isn't in front of the TV or a computer game he likes:
Chess
checkers
and a board game called Detour

The first rule of homeschooling: water the plants! :
#6 of 11 Old 09-02-2006, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks hipumpkin, I am going to look into that board game right now!

What are the trends with the 9-12 year old boy group? TV shows, literature, jewelry.... I thought we could make some cool stuff....
#7 of 11 Old 09-02-2006, 03:29 PM

My son just turned 9. His fav activites are video games, listening to music, art projects (he's big into colages right now) and just free play with his younger sisters and friends.

Right now, the big trendy stuff seems to be Disney shows. My son is big into the girl pop stars like Raven, Hannah Montana, Ali and AJ. Maybe you could check out the disney channel or website for more info on that stuff.

As for books, the Harry Potter and Series of Unfortunate Events books are the ones I hear him talk about most with his friends.

I'm a morning person.  We actually do exist.
#8 of 11 Old 09-02-2006, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

nak.

Thank you dawningmama, that is very informative. I am going to look into those programs.

I got some supplies today. I bought 'cranium' Cadoo for ages 7 and up, 2 card games, an advanced gears set, a computer game called 'zoo Tycoon2', and some plasticene. I looked for k'nex but couldn't find a big set only small accessory sets. Does anyone have any lego set reccomendations? Other?
#9 of 11 Old 09-02-2006, 05:18 PM

I don't know, but my child is more active than any of the suggestions you have so far. Now, he is a bit younger (7), and he likes things like Legos and such, but only after running in the backyard for a couple of hours first. If you have space, I would say balls, bikes, scooter, rollerblades. If you don't have space, maybe regular trips to the park as a "first stop" after school? School has so little recess and sports today.
#10 of 11 Old 09-02-2006, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter

Evan & Annas mom, I couldn't agree more-I was thinking of giving them a snack after school, then some outside play time, then more quiet play before they go home. How's that sound? I have a large fenced in back yard, a tire swing, a soccer ball, and a good climbing tree. There is a small playground accross the street, but it is meant for younger kids. Any suggestions about outdoor activities ? I am going to have a 9 month old and a three year old with me as well, so I am hoping that they can direct some of their own play with each other.
#11 of 11 Old 09-02-2006, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipworth
I am going to have a 9 month old and a three year old with me as well, so I am hoping that they can direct some of their own play with each other.
I think you can safely count on that. My 3 1/2 and 7 YO play outside together without any help from me at all. I'll bet that the boys themselves will have some ideas and suggestions. As long as you have the basics (like a ball) in place at first, I am sure THEY will be able to tell you what they would like.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page