The September almost-4 tribe!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-01-2006, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
:

lovin' yall. I've gotta run, but thought I should start the new thread.

I'll start a topic.... hmmmmm....... what kind of musac do your kids (and you) like?

:

:
:
:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2006, 10:08 PM

I heard the heartbeat today!!! So, there's a real live baby in there.

I like classic rock and country, some new rock. My kids love the Mary Had a Little Amp CD, and this other kid one- I forget the name. Some kind of Dance Party. The first track of the MHALA CD is a song from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Zachary LOVES it! Julianna sings to anything, and it is so adorable.

Leah coolshine.gif adoptionheart-1.gif homebirth.jpg

Hubby guitar.gif, ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, adopted dd (10) notes2.gif, dd (6) dust.gif, dd (1) femalesling.GIF & 3 foster dd's wheelchair.gif upsidedown.gif diaper.gif  

Old 09-01-2006, 10:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Lindy's favorite CD now is Peter, Paul and Mommy. For a while she was asking to listen to it multiple times a day, but thankfully she seems to be over that. (I like it, but not so much that I want to hear it all day, every day.) She also likes the two Dan Zanes CDs we have and the two Elizabeth Mitchell ones - and so do I, fortunately.

Of the songs I sing to her, her current favorite is "You're a Grand Old Flag." (I'm not the least bit patriotic, but I liked that song when I was a kid.) She likes the Battle Hymn of the Republic too, and so does little John - in fact, it seems to be a particular favorite of his.
Old 09-01-2006, 10:46 PM

I just decided I love Laurie Berkner.
I get *so* tired of The Wiggles and we burned out on silly Songs with Larry.

I also love Dan Zanes But only have House Party.
The first time I heard him was on the For the Kids album--which is pretty incredible

for myself? I mostly listen to classical or celtic...and other than that my collection is pretty eclectic--REM, They Miight Be Giants, Ani DiFranco, Dar Williams, Tea Party, Barenaked Ladies...

DecemberSun--Awwwww I love when you can first hear the heartbeat!

mom to three boys:  reading.gif(18 bigeyes.giffencing.gif(10&7)
Old 09-01-2006, 10:48 PM

Hey Mamas, didja miss me?

Quick, someone catch me up!

I see that our Leah is expecting, congratulations mama

It's been quite adventure for us this summer, we are in Pennsylvania for the moment, not really sure what's going to happen next...

Miss you, Love you,
Punk / Carrie
Old 09-01-2006, 11:36 PM

My DS and I like the same music, actually. I guess I am a bad mommy I don't get special music just for him, we both enjoy stuff that he probably really shouldn't be listening to. He LOVES nine inch nails, for example.
Old 09-01-2006, 11:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkprincessmama
Hey Mamas, didja miss me?

Quick, someone catch me up!

I see that our Leah is expecting, congratulations mama

It's been quite adventure for us this summer, we are in Pennsylvania for the moment, not really sure what's going to happen next...

Miss you, Love you,
Punk / Carrie
PUNK!!!! How are YOU??!!

I missed you

whats it like living out of a van with two kids? I'm considering doing it soon myself!
Old 09-02-2006, 12:09 AM - Thread Starter

leah~ I guess it's a lot more real now, hey? Peaceful blessings during your pregnancy I can't wait to see pics (after the baby is out) or you could post belly pics if ya wanna (sarita too )

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The reason I asked about musac, is I have been obsessing about the Red Hot Chili Peppers.... I'm going to go see them live in two weeks ( :nana: : )It will be my second time seeing a live concert at a stadium(I know, I'm a shame, leah, with your 50 or more) My first was Beck

I found this new artist named Kimya Dawson, shes really good. She is actually a member here on MDC. My grrls like the Circle Round soundtrack, raffi, and they have to get used to listening to my musac. anything from bob marley, to jamiroquai, to zepplin, to enya, to DJ tracks, to donovan.... rock n' roll classics, joplin, baez, pink floyd, beastie boys, string cheese, spearhead.....

fyoosh~ I used to LOVE NIN! Back in the day
Old 09-02-2006, 12:43 AM

Just subbing for now!
Old 09-02-2006, 02:44 AM

subbing im exhausted. first day of work.blah.my feets hurt

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

Old 09-02-2006, 10:10 AM

fern- where are you working?

I love NIN and would have trent's babies in a perfect world. :P
I also love RHCP- but like their older stuff. I saw them about 5 years ago, and it was an awesome show.

What we're listening to-- well, most of my music is in boxes still actually and i haven't been plugging in my ipod or i tunes lately for some reason. I fell back in love w/ the grateful dead about 3 months ago, so have still be listening to them a lot. i love ani difranco. i've been putting npr on a lot lol, and then when the news goes out i leave it on for the classical music.
i really love any kind of music but country and rap (except i love beastie boys).
Old 09-02-2006, 11:17 AM

Punk, that's fantastic! Where in PA are you? :

BeanBean is really into the music cd's that came with the girls' cyberschool stuff. He's also recently become a They Might Be Giants fan. :

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
Old 09-02-2006, 12:19 PM

Hi all! My DS will be three on October 30th - where did the time go?? He is also Wiggle obsessed - he LOVES them! He also likes Dan Zanes, the Mary Poppins soundtrack, Putumayo anything, and anything rock'n'roll - right now he loves the Sex Pistols

It's fun to see how much he can sing along to the music now.
Old 09-02-2006, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mona
fern- where are you working?
im doing daycare in my home for a 6 1/2 month old baby. its HARD friggin work

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

Old 09-02-2006, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaFern
im doing daycare in my home for a 6 1/2 month old baby. its HARD friggin work
I thought you were installing flooring :

anyways, you sound busy!
Old 09-02-2006, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majazama
I thought you were installing flooring :

anyways, you sound busy!
yeah we finnished that on thursday now im doing childcare. 4 days a week. im going to be rich.. not really, but richer anyways.. and busy. no more MDC lazy days.. *sigh*

Quote:

Old 09-03-2006, 01:52 AM

Rylie really likes Philadelphia Chickens, and we both like Anna Nalick and Bowling for Soup. I'm trying to get her hooked on Jewel and Train, too.

Proud Anti-Adoption, Atheist, Reproductive-Freedom Fighter Mama
Rylie is 7, Ronin is 3.5
Old 09-03-2006, 02:50 AM

we go to the library and raid their musical sellection weekly.. which is surprisingly good!

we have out right now..

belle and sebastian "tigermilk"(which i LOVE..it has a picture of a woman nursing a tigerfish on it )
bella fleck
the pogues
gratefuldead
moby
and a bunch of world music and new agey stuff

other music we love...
the postal service..spearhead..50 cent (i love hiphop)
sigur ros..
chocking victim(punk rock style)
broken social scene
modest mouse

elwynn isn't so into music (unless he is in the right mood and then he usualy gets crazy and runs around the house and dances and head bangs).. usually he asks us to turn it down beause "he cant concentrate" with it on..

Quote:

Old 09-03-2006, 03:48 AM - Thread Starter

you love hiphop, fern? Have you heard of immortal technique? they are latino-canadians, speaking up about the ghettos of canada... gooood stuff. Very powerful. I used to dispise "rap", always said "rap is crap", but wow, some of the lyrics that these men/women speak these days give me chills. So strong, and needed. 50 cent is kinda rough, and he talks about "hoes", sometimes, which bugs me, but I get his message. they live/d in a different world, forgotten.
Old 09-03-2006, 04:11 AM

i totally love hiphop. i used to go to a lot of the native youth movement hiphop shows in east van before i had kids.. there are so many amazing hip hop artists..with SO much to say. its crazy and beautiful.. the beats just really work for me. i also used to love(and still do) diggable planet,arrested development and other old school hiphop groups with something to say..

have you heard of knaan? http://www.thedustyfoot.com/ he is an african/canadian hiphop artist..i saw him play a free show in a park last summer and then saw him at the folk fest. OH MY. he is unbelievable. so powerful.. listen to "strugglin"

Quote:

Old 09-03-2006, 09:37 AM

GA LOVES music! We basically listen to something all of her waking hours. Therefore we have a lot.

Spanish Music (cd from her spanish music class)
Ralph's World
Dane Zanes
The Neilds family cd
Raffi
Putamayo
They might be giants
Philadelphia chickens

GA starts school next week and I start a new job. Think good thoughts for us as we transition
Old 09-03-2006, 09:52 AM

what's your new job amy?
Old 09-03-2006, 10:04 AM

it is pretty cool actually. I will be the director of this:

http://www.mwpc.org/program/MassGAP.htm

we'll have our own website in the next couple of weeks

OCT/NOV will be rough. I'll be working 50+ hours. SInce GA was 9 months old I have worked about 20 hours a week. I eep telling myself it is only 2 months it will be fine.

Amy
Old 09-03-2006, 04:01 PM

Good luck with the new job, Amy. I hope Georgia likes going to school!

We went to a concert just last night (The James Gang- my Dad went to school wtih Joe Walsh, who later became an Eagle. AWESOME guitar player!!!). We are taking J and Z to Dave Gilmore (Pink Floyd) in October. I am SO excited! We saw Roger Waters a few years ago, and Aussie Pink Floyd which was awesome, so I am excited to see Dave Gilmore! We missed Lynyrd Skynyrd on Friday night, which was a bummer because I bet they rocked out!!! DH is going to Godsmack for his birthday with his sister. We LOVE concerts and try to go as often as possible. Luckily Phoenix has an insane amount of venues, big or small, and lots of bands stop through here on their tours. (Saw Tim McGraw and Faith Hill last week!)

I hate looking for a new house. I don't really want to move, I just need an extra bedroom and would like a pool and a better school district. But there is a lot I will miss about this house, so I am kind of getting sad about leaving...

Leah coolshine.gif adoptionheart-1.gif homebirth.jpg

Hubby guitar.gif, ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, adopted dd (10) notes2.gif, dd (6) dust.gif, dd (1) femalesling.GIF & 3 foster dd's wheelchair.gif upsidedown.gif diaper.gif  

Old 09-03-2006, 04:55 PM

We listen to:

*Celtic
*Folk
*Classical

Some alternative. Some 'new age'. Very little 'rock'. Very little 'pop'.
Old 09-03-2006, 07:06 PM

that looks exciting amy.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:50 PM

Hey y'all!! Subbing and missing you all. Our computer is giving us trouble *again* so I haven't even been able to read this whole thread til now!

Jaz, I've been meaning to post pictures but the only ones I have are in a bathing suit and really, there is just no way!!! It's kinda a bummer I don't really know any aspiring photographers here and have none so far. The one guy has proven hard to connect w/

Leah, I'm so excited for you and excited to see you soon! Please don't comment on how big I am when I see you. I'm about to take the head off the next person who comments "oh wow, and you still have 6 weeks?" (but ever so slightly : ) I had my midwife appt. yesterday and she is so great. I'm back to feeling good and she helped give some perspective on MIL. I dreamed that I birthed my girl twice last night. The first time, she had black hair and brown eyes and looked asian. Makes me wonder who she was before, yk?

um, i'll write about music later i think.
Old 09-07-2006, 12:18 AM

Quote:
PUNK!!!! How are YOU??!!

I missed you

Quote:
whats it like living out of a van with two kids? I'm considering doing it soon myself!
It's an adjustment

It's been pretty challenging at times. Aubrey, having just learned to walk absolutely hates her carseat after about ten to twenty minutes. And Mariah, being an extremely energetic child is not much better Honestly, we kept the driving to no more than six hours a day, stop to get out and run around every 90 mintues or so, and I spent a lot of time crouching between the seats nursing.

BUT

the freedom, oh my goodness, is intoxicating. Knowing we could potentially drive anywhere we want is exhilirating. Seeing so much of the country that I've never seen before... There have definetley been perks

The trip out to Virginia was quite an adventure! I wish I had time to go into details right now. We visited a commuity there for about five weeks. It didn't work out, for a variety of reasons, most due to our parenting style and values. Right now we are staying with a friend, in her one bedroom apartment (!) in State College.

I don't know what we are going to do or where we are going to go from here. Which at times is exciting, but lately I'm pretty sick of the limbo.

Hopefully I'll have more time for mdc and I can catch you all up a little more.

I'd love to hear more about what you are considering Jaz, you can PM me if you'd rather not post. Maybe you will inspire me

Love,
Punk
Old 09-07-2006, 12:36 AM - Thread Starter

carrie~ sounds like it is "business as usual", for the kids, hey? Sasa hates her carseat for extended periods, so I don't think I'll take her on a big trip till next spring or something. I want to go to california. Never been there, and I've been invited to an intentional eco-village/community that is just starting up.:yay:

good to see you're online, and wanted to catch you.
Old 09-07-2006, 02:51 AM

Hi y'all, I'm delurking after following this thread for awhile. I was a part of this crowd waaay back, from pregnancy days into infanthood. Then as life changed I chose to simplify and cut out MDC. Well, life keeps a-changing, I keep coming back, and I'm sorely in need of a tribe right now. The ups and downs of a 3yo... would never have expected

Can you give me some tips? What's "normal" for a kid this age? Should they be in preschool or should they still be at home? Taking themselves to the potty alone or no? Going to bed on their own? Maybe I shouldn't be asking these questions as one reason I left this group is because my dd seemed slower than the other babes :

Do 3yos make friends well? Dd seems desperate for friends, but when she's in a group she is quickly disenchanted with the others and gets withdrawn.

We moved twice this year, which meant uprooting dd twice. She changed from an outgoing girl at the playground to a wallflower. We put her in preschool this month, and at first she loved it but now she hates it. I know that if I take her out and keep her home instead, at first she'll love it then she'll hate it. Argh!

Oh, and sadly we don't listen to much music at home. I'm a confirmed failure at multi-tasking, so I can't concentrate with music on. When we do put on something, it's usually Sandra Boynton book and CDs. Dd loves to read, so she likes having a book to go along with the music.

DecemberSun, congrats on the new baby-to-be-born! Do you still have your two foster daughters? And MamaFern, you have a new baby too? Is Casina still around? And SolsticeMama?

User Tag List