comfy boys underwear - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 31 Old 09-30-2006, 02:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ds keeps stripping because he doesn't like the stretch/scratchy waistband on his underwear. I have cut all the tags and I buy them big, but he still says, "I have underwear problems." The Hannah Anderssen ones looks nice, but 18 dollars for 3? I think I'd be following him around saying, "Do you need to use the potty? Let's keep those 6 dollar underpants clean,now!" Cheaper ones? They can be store brands or anything, just a softer waistband.
#2 of 31 Old 09-30-2006, 08:44 AM

The Hanna ones are worth the $$$. Actually, I have 3 pair of size M in white that I could send you if you're interested. They've never been worn (but they have been washed). When DS got colored Hanna unders from my Mom at the same time he got the white ones, he decided that colors are the only way to go !

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#3 of 31 Old 09-30-2006, 08:44 AM

At Target we buy Hanes...I can't remember the exact name but they have a "premium" line and you get 2 pairs for about $6 so it won't break the bank. There is also a line that isn't premium that's 3 for $6 but still comfy. The waistbands on them (briefs and boxer briefs) are covered with the same cotton fabric as the rest of the brief. They are really nice and comfy, don't dig into DS's waist, no red lines, etc.

Amy, USCG wife and homeschooling, ebfing, homebirthing Mama to M (8), L (6), L (2.5)
#4 of 31 Old 09-30-2006, 09:55 AM

I have been buying the Osh Kosh B'Gosh brand from TJ Maxx for Ds. They are only about $3.99 for a 3 pack there. The 100% cotton is much softer then other brands we have tried. The elastic also feels much softer on the inside. I think that the cut and fit also work better for my DS. It is the only brand he will wear. They also have lots of cute patterns and colors.

Mom to Zach eat.gif , 2 cat.gif, 1dog2.gif, and a whole lot of goldfish.gif!!!! 
#5 of 31 Old 09-30-2006, 10:11 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I get the Hanes boxer briefs that have covered elastic at Target for ds.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#6 of 31 Old 09-30-2006, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post
The Hanna ones are worth the $$$. Actually, I have 3 pair of size M in white that I could send you if you're interested. They've never been worn (but they have been washed). When DS got colored Hanna unders from my Mom at the same time he got the white ones, he decided that colors are the only way to go !
Thank you but I think those would be too big. From their site, it looks like he'd need a small? He's about 30 lbs and generally wears a 3t (but I buy 4t underwear). I will look at the Hanes Premium. We don't have a TJ Maxx so I've never seen Osh Kosh underwear. I wonder if they sell them other places. I was trying to decide why I can't get Hannahs. Why do I think that ds needs 15 pairs of underwear. I realized it's because we change his underwear like 6 times a day-- but that's because he takes it off everychance he gets and leaves them all over the place and I can't find them so I go grab another pair. Maybe he'd only need 6 pair if he'd just keep them on!
#7 of 31 Old 09-30-2006, 03:00 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Try Gap Kids. The elastic on their briefs is very soft. We tried getting the similar style from OldNavy once and their elastic was like a knife on my poor baby's waist. So we tossed them and went back to the Gap ones. They also last really well, we got about a year and a half out of each size and they are still in good enough condition for my second son to use. We've gotten hand-me-down Hanes that are pretty threadbare after less use.

Robin~ single, work-at-home momma to my WonderBoys
YoungMan (6/00) & LittleBoy (6/04)
#8 of 31 Old 09-30-2006, 03:47 PM

And my ds wore his Hanes for 2.5 years and they look fine. Maybe it is how they are washed or something .

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#9 of 31 Old 09-30-2006, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach'smom View Post
I have been buying the Osh Kosh B'Gosh brand from TJ Maxx for Ds. They are only about $3.99 for a 3 pack there. The 100% cotton is much softer then other brands we have tried. The elastic also feels much softer on the inside. I think that the cut and fit also work better for my DS. It is the only brand he will wear. They also have lots of cute patterns and colors.
Same here.

The Target/Hanes/character underwear "fabric" are HORRIBLY scratchy. Osh Kosh is soft and no complaints.

10 - boy
5.5 - girl
#10 of 31 Old 09-30-2006, 05:26 PM

My son is VERY picky with underware.
He just turned 4 and finally is getting the potty stuff down.
He had a real problem letting go of the "soft" diaper/pull up feel.. He likes the padding!

Anyways, he wont wear underware with elastic on the outside. But, I found that the gerber training pants are soft and no elastic and also have "padding". I get them at Target.

Hope that helps.
#11 of 31 Old 09-30-2006, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evermom View Post
I get the Hanes boxer briefs that have covered elastic at Target for ds.
They are called "comfort soft" waist band. AND they are tagless. DS1 won't wear anything else now that we have found these. And the smalls are actually small. I have a skinny-mini and the fir him just fine.

Solo Mum to 4 and loving every minute of it!!!!
#12 of 31 Old 10-02-2006, 05:07 PM

ds doesn't wear underwear he's just never really liked wearing much of anything. these underwear tips are good, just in case we venture into trying a few out.
#13 of 31 Old 10-02-2006, 05:15 PM

DS doesn't wear underwear ever. Not even with his jeans, which he wears everyday. I ask him if he's uncomfortable with the jeans against his groin but he says no.

I think it's a not wanting anything on his waist thing as he'll only wear low rise pants.

Not sure if he'll grow out of the no underwear thing or not. He's 6 now and no underwear in sight.
#14 of 31 Old 10-02-2006, 05:22 PM

We just bought a whole bunch new ones they we at a store called Saan, not sure if you have them there or not, they are Tag brand, and DS choose the boxer brief ones, they are very soft cotton and the elastic is sewn in to the cotton, not stupid scratch band, they have tags but very shinny soft ones, and DS has not complainant them. I accidentally grabbed a few brief ones(didn't read the box) and he is fine with those to same type as the briefs, very soft. They stretch out nice when he wears them, so they aren't tight at all, and when the get washed and dried, they shrink back to normal size, If you have a Saan store there i would highly recommend them, or maybe they sell them at some other store. Good luck.
#15 of 31 Old 10-03-2006, 12:44 PM

My dd's wear them, and my older dd has been wearing her same mediums for almost 5 years, and they are JUST NOW starting to show wear.

Wife and SAHM to our two girls and one little man.
#16 of 31 Old 10-03-2006, 03:51 PM

I don't know what counts as soft for your ds but ds wears hanes boxer briefs and osh Kosh, (we have an outlet nearby).

Mom to ds 9 dd 7 : and dd 3/08 : if I can I go to
#17 of 31 Old 10-03-2006, 11:17 PM

I have to recommend hannas as well. I know it seems too expensive, although they do go on sale occasionally. They are so much nicer than other brands (i did actually buy the oshkosh ones at marshalls two weeks ago - they are a close second) and there is not much available in the small sizes with other brands like hanes. Also the hannas will fit him for about 2 years. My son is 3 1/2 and i went with size 100.
#18 of 31 Old 10-03-2006, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanibani View Post
The Target/Hanes/character underwear "fabric" are HORRIBLY scratchy. Osh Kosh is soft and no complaints.
Ditto to that.

We somehow ended up with some character underwear and they're awful, the quality is terrible and the waistbands seem uncomfortable to me. Griff doesn't complain, but I wouldn't buy it ever again. He has some Gymboree and some OshKosh underwear and both are nice, although the Gymbo runs a bit small.

I've heard that Hannas are the ne plus ultra of kid underwear. They look very nice. Their cotton clothing is so soft that I believe it when people say the underwear is worth the $$$.

may my heart always be open to little birds who are the secrets of living whatever they sing is better than to know  - e.e. cummings
#19 of 31 Old 10-05-2006, 01:38 AM

Ditto everything on the Hannas....

(we have a 3 1/2 yo who is constantly stripping down to nothing....Nakies R Us!!)
#20 of 31 Old 10-05-2006, 12:25 PM

This is what i can't figure out! The Hanes package says that XS is available and I checked with customer service at my Target and they don't stock them. Why can't they have plain, comfy undies for little kids? I don't want to buy Nascar or Spiderman underwear and they are just awful.
Its so strange that something as simple as plain underwear for three year olds is so difficult to find!
you will love the hannas - glad you found some!
#21 of 31 Old 10-05-2006, 12:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Another vote for hanna's. DS is a very skinny 6/5 year old and has plenty of room in the smalls. The other underpants I like (and this won't be much use to you) are from Marks and Spencers, my mum buys them for the kids from the UK.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#22 of 31 Old 10-05-2006, 01:40 PM

I like Gymboree's boys' underpants. I just bought 5 pairs for $13 (on sale plus i had a coupon). I think they are normally 3/$12.

They are soft and really hold up to wear and tear. My son has worn several pairs for two years and they are just now starting to look old and stretched out.
#23 of 31 Old 10-05-2006, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by klouise55 View Post
This is what i can't figure out! The Hanes package says that XS is available and I checked with customer service at my Target and they don't stock them. Why can't they have plain, comfy undies for little kids? I don't want to buy Nascar or Spiderman underwear and they are just awful.
Its so strange that something as simple as plain underwear for three year olds is so difficult to find!
you will love the hannas - glad you found some!
Isn't it weird? Target and Walmart both stock the plain, comfy underwear in size small (6/8) but not XS (4/5) even though Hanes makes it. The only undwear in the toddler section is character underwear. I looked onthe gymobree website and they don't list underwear (that I could see). Are they only in stores?
#24 of 31 Old 10-05-2006, 07:34 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I think Hanes only makes the toddler underwear in the stupid character designs. Try looking for the XS in the "children's" section.

My DS mostly wears the Hanes boxer briefs.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#25 of 31 Old 10-05-2006, 07:36 PM

I can second (or third) the recomendation for gymboree undies. The elastic is nice and soft. You can find them online under accessories, just keep scrolling down the page, they come after the socks.
#26 of 31 Old 10-06-2006, 12:49 AM

I can help with the Hanes underwear (non-character in XS) problem! After searching a lot, I found them online at Vermont Lingerie Chest. http://vermontlingerie.com/hanes_p1.htm

If you scroll down, you'll see the plain boys' underwear. I ordered a bunch from there for my ds because I couldn't stand the idea of Sponge Bob or whatever.

If you live near a Fred Meyer, they sometimes carry Hanes XS boxer briefs in solid colors too.
#27 of 31 Old 10-06-2006, 02:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
I think Hanes only makes the toddler underwear in the stupid character designs. Try looking for the XS in the "children's" section.

My DS mostly wears the Hanes boxer briefs.
Yeah, I looked, not there. Only small. Thanks for the gymboree link, I was looking in baby boys and I don't think they have them there . I will get those!

So, anyone want to buy about 15 pair of Hanes character underwear wit the tags cut off? Cheap!
#28 of 31 Old 10-06-2006, 02:45 AM

Another Hanna's fan. These must be MAGIC underpants. How do they fit and last so long?! They are still the favorite, around here and indestructible!
#29 of 31 Old 07-03-2013, 03:08 PM

My boys'll wear any underpants. It's wearing pants that's the trouble!

#30 of 31 Old 07-05-2013, 09:34 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me

HA are actually worth it. And they go on sale. They are so much more comfortable than regular underpants. Seriously, HA and shoes are what I totally worth the extra money. Weirdly they both fit forever AND you can hand them down.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page