First Grade Tribe-October's Here! - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 115 Old 10-30-2006, 11:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dd has her Parent/Teacher Conference this week. Why am I already nervous? I know she is doing well and is very bright. I am just never sure of what questions to ask. My dd also brought home the Nov. calendar and it has that they are accepting applications for their Magnet program for Grades 2-5. I am considering applying, but I'll wait until after the P/T Conf. to see. A friend of mine told me she didn't put her dd in b/c she would've had to transport her to a different school across town and it was too much hassle. I can understand that, but the school my dd goes to is a Magnet school so there will be no changes as far as tranportation or anything goes. She also said she kept her dd out b/c that left her time to do extra curricular activities and not be stressed over homework or grades.
#92 of 115 Old 10-30-2006, 05:42 PM

My MIL, who was a public K teacher for 20+ years, advised me on questions to ask DS's teachers - if you don't have any specific concerns or questions, just ask something like, 'how do you see my child socially and academically'. It opens the door for the teacher to elaborate on whatever s/he sees as important.
#93 of 115 Old 10-31-2006, 11:08 AM

That's a good idea. For some reason I am a little nervous and lose my train of thought, but it shouldn't be too bad.
#94 of 115 Old 10-31-2006, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Happy Halloween-hope everyone has a super spooky (and safe) holiday!
#95 of 115 Old 10-31-2006, 01:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Happy Halloween 1st graders:

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#96 of 115 Old 10-31-2006, 02:57 PM

My dd is sooo excited about trick-or-treating 2nite . Yesterday they decorated pumpkins at school and dd was a teacher's helper again, but this time she helped a THIRD GRADE teacher. I guess she is moving up in the world
#97 of 115 Old 11-01-2006, 08:57 AM
Liz

I'm so glad I found this thread! I've got a first grader so it's so nice to hear all your experiences.

Jillywilson - Around here they are very quick to jump on even a small reading problem because they can snowball so quickly. A neighbour's son was struggling with reading - just showed no interest what so ever - so they gave him special tutoring and he even went to reading camp in the summer. It was handled very well with no feeling of being singled out and he's now in grade 2 and all caught up. He said that reading camp was his favourite part of the summer. So I think they jump on it so fast to head off any feelings of inadequacy or loss of esteem. And if handled well it can be a big boost for the kid that they overcame this little tough spot.

Liz
#98 of 115 Old 11-01-2006, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

welcome Liz!

I'm wondering if I'll be able to wake up dd later this morning for school-at least it was a subdued Halloween compared to years past. But what a big production in our house-I'm glad to have it out of the way! Will be back to start a November thread later, after I put the house back together somewhat.
#99 of 115 Old 11-01-2006, 12:25 PM

Welcome Liz
Oh my dd had a HORRIBLE time getting up this morning. It was the first time she has ever gone, she was so tired - poor thing:yawning: . She will want to do nothing but chill out when I pick her up. Good thing is we don't have Brownies this week.
#100 of 115 Old 11-01-2006, 05:58 PM

Liz, thank you. Yes, I'm feeling more comfortable with the reading program now. Basically, there is a reading tutor that comes into their classroom while they are doing their reading lesson. She sits at a table with the kids in her class that are in the program (which I believe is 3 kids) and gives them extra help. Sometimes they go to a different room and do extra work on reading. DD is totally fine with it which is great. Though, she still says "I can't read." even though every night she reads to me.
#101 of 115 Old 11-04-2006, 01:59 PM

How is it going? Did you all survive the time change? We are actually getting up earlier, but traffic was horrible this past week and we were late 4 days. It seems lots of people were late but anyway. My DD says the teacher says they are going to start school earlier..I"m not sure when they are going to start this. They don't serve milk at my kids school...just water. Well yesterday they had flavored water with Splenda in it. GEEZ..urghh...are they just going to make me have to keep saying stuff all the time??? How was Halloween? My kids had a blast and ate candy!
#102 of 115 Old 11-04-2006, 11:45 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, Mommabelle-I hate that water-i'd be irked, too.

the time change was rough for dd-she still stayed up late, and then woke up an hour earlier the next day because of the light outside, which threw her off for the entire week. The lack of rest weakened her defenses, then came the Halloween sugar-by Thursday she was home with strep. Happily we have a three day week next week and will have a four day weekend-I think we'll be heading to Ojai for some relaxation.
#103 of 115 Old 11-11-2006, 12:35 PM

How's everyone doing? Anyone have parent/teacher conferences yet? We had ours a week or so ago and report cards come out this coming Friday. DD is doing really well and excelling in everything, which made us happy. She gets along w/all the kids and enjoys helping some of the kids who may be struggling. The only thing the teacher said dd needs to work on is slowing down when she writes and I can see that b/c she will usually get her letters mixed up when she is doing it fast.
#104 of 115 Old 11-11-2006, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1xmom View Post
How's everyone doing? Anyone have parent/teacher conferences yet?
I am so glad to read your DD is getting on so well.

We have our conference on the 21st. I can't wait. One of the things DS's teachers will be asking about is his birth, they believe birth experience can be very insightful with regard to any issues a child may have. I am thrilled because it's my favorite question! I will be able to tell them all about his UC. : No report cards, they don't have them.

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#105 of 115 Old 11-11-2006, 05:25 PM

Our PTC is this upcoming Friday. Also, no report cards.

I asked my mother (teacher) what the most annoying question was that she got from parents, and she said that it was, "how is my child doing in reading and math." She gets annoyed because she says there is so much more in a school (she teaches in Montessori), and in the child's everyday life, and usually the parents want to know just so they can compare with other parents. She said a really good question to ask is, "What area/subject of the classroom is my child drawn to, in your opinion." And then let the teacher tell us all about it, and that would give us a better idea of what she likes to do during the day. Other than PE and recess, of course.

uccomama, boy, I wish I could talk to one of your teachers for feedback. My daughter had an extremely difficult birth (induced 6 weeks early, in NICU for 8 days). I never know how much to read into that, but I wish I knew what people thought from an academic perspective.
#106 of 115 Old 11-11-2006, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspaghettimama View Post
uccomama, boy, I wish I could talk to one of your teachers for feedback. My daughter had an extremely difficult birth (induced 6 weeks early, in NICU for 8 days). I never know how much to read into that, but I wish I knew what people thought from an academic perspective.
FSM -- I think DSs teachers are approaching this from two perpectives: academic and spiritual (remember these teachers are Buddhists).

Here's what the wrote in the latest class newsletter:

Quote:
[We] ask parents to share their child's birth story, really more than the birth itself, anything they could remember about thier child's early development. "Why? Why do you want to know? you may ask. And it is hard to say exactly what it is we want to know, much less why. Please know we don't mean to be intrustive in any way and if it makes you uncomfortable don't hesitate to pass on this. Caesarian or not, cross-crawling or bypassing that step. Talking before walking or walking before talking. An early obsession with trains. We would love to hear how their name was chosen, their first word, food preferences, sleep patterns, patterns of illness, fears. Basically anything that might occur to you. We are not looking to pigeon hole the children in any way but to pick up on any patterns. Children are in constant transformation - moving from equilbrium to disequilibrium. Falling apart, gathering together, plateauing only to fall apart once more to allow a new stage of development to arise. With a more complete picture before us certain insights can be gained. For instance a child who has had a forceps delivery might experience difficulties with transitions in later years. A child with digestive struggles may need to be more verbally violent (the process of breaking down) in play scenarios. I had a little boy in my class several years ago who was badly burned. For months he played 'road construction' - hauling buckets of sand and gravel. Then he would get down on his hands and knees and spread thin layers of sand lovingly all over the sidewalk. It took me a few weeks to realize that what he might be doing through his play was reparing his skin. Whether or not this was true, I approached his play in a very diferent way that I think he found healing and empowering.
I am not sure if the above offers you any insight. Maybe!

The school works closely with Dr Dee Coulter, a nationally recognized neuroscience educator. Dr Coulter was a former faculty member of Naropa Universtiy and conducts workshops around the country and teaches a graduate correspondence course "Neurology and Learning", through the University of Northern Colorado. She is in the process of finishing her first book -- can't wait. She gave a talk recently at the school's parent's evening. She was amazing!

#107 of 115 Old 11-11-2006, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

Our conference is this Thursday, and I'm looking forward to it as well. Quite sure report cards will follow-I don't give them much importance, but it's amusing to see how it all gets broken down and to see what the teacher has to say. DD was chosen to be student of the month for October-which we choose to view as a positive thing . In our home the focus is on self fulfillment, not external approval of others, but we're proud of her for that recognition, and she's quite proud of herself. The teacher also switched the seating arrangement, and dd is now at a table with more compatible deskmates, so I'm happy about that. The table she was at previously had a boy with some behavioral issues and she ended up learning how to coexist well with him-so I'm also glad I didn't ask for her to be in a different seat as I initially wanted to do!
I'm also going in this week to help the children with a meal preparation, and I'm really looking forward to that. Love working with food and kids!
#108 of 115 Old 11-12-2006, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mata
The table she was at previously had a boy with some behavioral issues and she ended up learning how to coexist well with him-so I'm also glad I didn't ask for her to be in a different seat as I initially wanted to do!
That is exactly how it is w/my dd. Before the room was in a big "U", now the desks are set up in a square and it's four in a group. There is a little boy that has behavior issues in my dd's group. But the teacher said my dd works very well w/him and has come to be a good role model. When we asked about how she was getting along w/other kids, that's when she told us that all the kids really like my dd.
#109 of 115 Old 11-12-2006, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

that's great, 1xmom-your dd sounds like a very nice little girl. My dd's teacher deserves props for how well she meets the needs of this boy. This was not an area of strength with dd's kindergarten teacher and we had a couple of bad experiences, which is what made me apprehensive this year. It makes a lot of difference when a teacher has good skills in this regard.
#110 of 115 Old 11-12-2006, 06:34 PM

In kindergarten my dd had a problem w/a different little boy. But instead of helping dd to deal with it she just moved him to a different table. Which may have been a short term fix. This year has really been an eye opener for dd and she is learning so much about different people and dealing w/them.

I am truly blessed b/c she is a sweet little girl. I am just enjoying it while I can, b/c she can and does get pretty moody sometimes which has me not looking forward to puberty.
#111 of 115 Old 11-12-2006, 06:38 PM

Ha. Apparently my kid IS the kid being moved from table to table. Apparently she gets a little funny and enjoys getting all the other kids going with being silly; and then they don't get their work done but she got hers done. Ah, that's my girl. Class clownism runs in the family.

And that's just what she reported to me at home. It should be interesting to hear what the teacher says.
#112 of 115 Old 11-12-2006, 07:41 PM

Hey..it's good to see all your posts and updates. We recieved report cards last week. I was suprised because I had forgotten all about them. Like most of you I don't really put value in that sort of thing..but if it has to be I do agree with all her marks. My daughter is so like me...oh dear I feel for her! LOL
I went on a field trip with DD's class on Friday. They were such a smart group of kiddos and well behaved. It was super fun.
#113 of 115 Old 11-13-2006, 01:24 AM

[QUOTE=flyingspaghettimama;6516915]Ha. Apparently my kid IS the kid being moved from table to table. Apparently she gets a little funny and enjoys getting all the other kids going with being silly; and then they don't get their work done but she got hers done. Ah, that's my girl. Class clownism runs in the family.
QUOTE]

Us too . My dd comes home frequently and says she moved again. Does everyone move that much or just my dd . My dd is able to finish her work really quickly and then tends to get herself into trouble. I think its getting better, at least I haven't heard anything in a while.

We don't have report cards. And our conferences where back in Oct. Like I said acedemically dd is a super star. But shes a bit too social. And as her teacher said no lack of self confidence for her . She loves school though and is still so excited every day when she gets home so I guess that is good.

Micky
#114 of 115 Old 11-13-2006, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mytwokids View Post

We don't have report cards. And our conferences where back in Oct. Like I said acedemically dd is a super star. But shes a bit too social. And as her teacher said no lack of self confidence for her . She loves school though and is still so excited every day when she gets home so I guess that is good.
We should get our girls together.
#115 of 115 Old 11-13-2006, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page