car seat advice needed - UPDATE post # 69 - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 70 Old 10-29-2006, 03:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wednesday View Post
I looked at the display and the box for a Cosco Apex at Babies R Us and I was surprised that this issue with the seat-back is not made clear somehow before the purchase is made. I'm assuming the user manual states somewhere that the Apex is not to be used with a lower-backed seat, but how many parents actually read that thoroughly? And why should it be a secret until after you've purchased the product and taken it home? I'm really aggravated that this product which is intended to be a safety device can be so easily and innocently mis-used so as not to provide the safety it is supposed to. Makes me really not want to buy anything made by Cosco. Who knows what else they are skimping on?
I noticed that as well. That's why I asked because I could not find any info about it. I have headrests so it's not an issue for me. I think I'm going with the Apex because it harnesses to 65# and is in my price range.
#62 of 70 Old 10-29-2006, 04:30 PM

Another one that really got me was that this morning I noticed a sales flyer with a booster seat in it stating that it held children 30 - 100lbs. The state of WI says that any child under the 40lb weight limit must be in a forward facing carseat and that they need to be at least 40lbs and 4 years old to be in a booster seat. Now, I didn't know this was the case until I began to dig further into it. I am going to bet that there are tons of other parents that aren't aware of that either. I think it should be illegal to advertise a product that way if it's illegal to use it for a child under 40 lbs. It's reasonable to assume that many people would think it's safe for any child over 30 lbs to use a booster seat. That is really scary.
#63 of 70 Old 10-29-2006, 07:58 PM

Yep, I know people who put their kids in a booster as soon as they hit 30#. My SIL is one of them. Her dd has been in a booster for at least a year well before she even turned four. She turned four this past July but does not weigh 40#. My family all think I'm over protective because I don't want my 5 yr old in a booster. He weighs 35#. I've been arguing with DH because he doesn't want to spend the money on a harness seat because ds will be 6 in Jan. I've been explaining to him that ds only weighs 35# so age does not matter in this situation.
#64 of 70 Old 10-30-2006, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

I'm feeling kind of discouraged...at this point I'm thinking maybe the only option is to move DS into a Marathon. I'm not sure what the difference is between a Marathon vs a Decathlon, but I DO know I can pick a Marathon up at Target. I am out over $50 in shipping charges at this point so picking a seat up locally is pretty attractive right now. I think BabiesRus carries Decathlon but it is a much farther trip than Target, still doable though. I'm just not real clear on what the difference is between those two seats.

I've ruled out the following seats:

*Regent -- too big
*Recaro Young Sport -- too big, also ds HATED it...
*Radian -- from pictures online it looks like the base would cover up access to the outboard seat belt buckles
*Apex -- doesn't work with low seatbacks
*Evenflo Generations -- I was thinking this was a contender until reading several reviews on Target's site stating the placement of the crotch buckle is way too close to the seatback, kids uncomfortable, etc.
*Safeguard -- let's be serious... $500? Plus it looks huge.
*Graco Safeseat -- we looked at this in Babies R Us but I don't remember why we ruled it out

So I was thinking...DS really seemed to LIKE the Regent. Even though it was not practical for our car, he settled right into it and seemed to find it very comfortable. Maybe our most feasible solution at this point is just to move him into a Marathon/Decathlon, which I reckon he could get at least two years' use out of. And then maybe he can go into a high-back booster, or who knows, we could even have a different car at that point, different seats on the market, etc. We can make a new decision at that time based on whatever our situation is. We're planning for baby #2 to debut in the next say 18-24 months, so any Britax convertible would definitely still be useful to us at that point.
#65 of 70 Old 10-30-2006, 01:31 PM

I didn't happen to notice, but have you tried the Graco CarGo? I just got one for ds a few days ago, but I think I'm returning it and getting a Radian.
It's a nice seat though- super light, very low, very cushy (I got the Platinum CarGo). I like it as a harnessed seat. I have read that it makes a good harnessed seat, but doesn't make a great booster.
I'm taking it back because I worry about ds being too tall too soon. Though ds said "NO!" when I suggested looking for a new seat. He really likes it.

Here's a site with the dimensions of various carseats http://www.carseatdata.org/csnumbers.html

Have you seen the site for Radian? It looks like it is one of the narrowest seats (17" wide) http://www.sunshinekidsjp.com/produc...=Radian&id=112

Good luck!

eta- a Britax would certainly be cost effective if you will use it for baby #2!

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

#66 of 70 Old 10-30-2006, 01:35 PM

The Radian is only about 13" across at the bottom where it touches the seat, it doesn't hit 17" till you get to the part where the child's back goes. I can measure ours when we go out there (if we go out there, lol). I'm cleaning today b/c baby will come Friday at the latest, but maybe the cleaning will help speed things up!

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

#67 of 70 Old 10-30-2006, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, 13" might work...I'm just feeling very hesitant to order yet another seat to be shipped. The shipping charges notwithstanding, I had to take EVERYTHING (including the currently installed carseat) out of DH's Subaru and put the backseat down to get the Regent in there to drive 25 miles to the FedEx Ground Dropoff location :. It was a total PITA.
#68 of 70 Old 10-30-2006, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deva33mommy View Post
eta- a Britax would certainly be cost effective if you will use it for baby #2!
This is exactly what I was thinking too.
#69 of 70 Old 11-05-2006, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

UPDATE: We drove an hour to a USA Baby store that had the Radian in stock and it worked out GREAT! It really is very narrow compared to other seats on the market. DS also really liked it, both in the store and riding in it later. He fell asleep in it yesterday afternoon and looked pretty comfortable.
#70 of 70 Old 11-05-2006, 01:25 PM

Glad you finally got it all worked out.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page