Constipation/pooping woes w/potty learning aged children - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 228 Old 12-27-2006, 11:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
mum19!

the pediatrician was a useless moron for us too. ours recommended long-term use of m.o.m. which can be toxic to the nervous system, another ped. told me. good grief! I would be concerned about the pain, too. I'm surprised the dr didn't at least suggest doing some sort of scan to check that he's not impacted, that can cause pain...

we use glycolax (generic for miralax), which can be given long-term and doesn't cause the cramping pains that many other products cause. we haven't used lactulose, but I know others here have. I thought it was ok for long term use though... ??

I would avoid the glycerin suppositories since he's already having pain. they can really burn and cause severe cramping. my ds shrieks his head off when he gets those, so he doesn't get them anymore.

it does sound like something is wrong, maybe some micro-tears on the inside or hemorrhoids. you could squirt his bum with some witch hazel (no need to rub it on or try to get it inside, just douse him and it will find its way ) to help with hemorrhoids... there's a really great salve called "green wonder salve" made by red moon herbs that's great for soothing sore bottoms as well as any other minor cuts/abrasions. they are at www.redmoonherbs.com . that has healed some really nasty diaper rashes overnight for ds.

keep asking questions and searching, you'll eventually find out what works for your child. we've all felt horrible about this problem that it seems like no one else has-- be gentle with yourself, too! good luck!!

Julia, treehugger.gifintactlact.gif homebirth.jpg  mom to jumpers.gif blogging.jpg lefthandedinarighthandworld.wordpress.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 228 Old 12-28-2006, 11:14 PM

thanks, i will definately think about those tips. right now im hoping it sorts itself out and gets better, while i keep giving him the lactulose a few more days..maybe weeks, not sure yet.

today he didnt poop but there was some on his butt almost on his pants, so he obviously had needed to go at some point in the day and held it in instead....damn. he also said he had stomach ache a few times, but he seems to get that daily unfortunately

hopefully he will poop tomorrow, i'll encourage him to do it in the bath again, even though its nasty to clean up afterwards, being in the warm water seems to give him a BM and yesterday he did the poop in there.

hope everyone else is doing ok in this area......
#123 of 228 Old 12-29-2006, 01:21 AM

Does anyone know for sure if Milk of Magnesia is toxic for the nervous system? We've been using it for awhile.

If DD1 was egg/cow milk intolerant (possibly allergic) during the first 1 to 1 1/2 year of nursing, how likely is it that dairy could be constipating her if she is otherwise asymptomatic now? If a dairy allergy is suspected, is a total elimination diet absolutely necessary or is it possible that simply cutting back would be helpful?

Here's a strange question, has anyone here ever suspected one particular food as a trigger? In our case I am starting to wonder about our "go to" lunch for her, "Beefaroni" which would have some incidental dairy.

Has anyone heard of "Aunt Sandy's Secret Poopie Cookies Recipes - Plus A Whole Lot More On How to Live Life Constipation Free"? It's a downloadable e-book that costs about $15.00. For that price I'd be willing to buy it at the bookstore on a gamble but you have to go through their site. I don't think you can get it from a well recognized site like Amazon. Here is a link to their site.

http://www.oroselket.com/webebooks/h...nstipation.htm

Otherwise does anyone have any tasty high fiber / ground flax seed / flax seed oil / Etc. cookie recipes that might appeal to a toddler and "get her moving", so to speak?

Also, can anyone tell me more about OTC Maltsupex. A covering Pediatrician recommended it once and I never looked into it. I see a couple of people have mentioned it here but more people seem to be using Miralax or Lactulose by prescription.

TIA,
~Cath
#124 of 228 Old 12-29-2006, 07:01 AM

CathMac I just wanted to let you know, I use lactulose but not on prescription. Yes you can get it on prescription, but you can also buy it over the counter at the pharmacy/chemists. So you should be able to get it, if you want.

I decided to keep using lactulose instead of trying milk of magnesia, because a friend said m.o.m is too harsh on kids and gives them bad cramps. i dont know if thats true but im not risking it as lactulose seems to be helping for now.

please poop today DS!
#125 of 228 Old 12-30-2006, 01:37 PM

well ds had tummy ache all day yesterday i tried to explain yes your tummy is full of poop and you need to push it out into the toilet, diaper or bath, to make it feel better.

gave him a bath in the afternoon, made him have a bowel move but he refused to do any in the bath..i thought he would since he did the last time.

he had tummy ache still when i put him to bed in a diaper and he finally pooped in it a few minutes later he yelled out at first but was ok the rest of the time he was still pooping. so it definately seems to be getting less sore.

i know we have gone back a step because hes now pooping in his diaper and not on the toilet...but at least hes pooping. thats a step better than him holding it in for days and days. fingers crossed he continues to do it in his diaper at night then soon hopefully can try getting him to use the toilet again.

continuing with the lactulose.
#126 of 228 Old 12-30-2006, 01:45 PM

it was a pediatrician who told me not to use m.o.m. for more than a week because of the toxicity; I verified it by looking it up. because magnesium exists in solution (such as when it's in the body) as Mg2+ (an ion with a plus-2 charge, for all the non-chemists out there ) it can replace calcium (also a plus-2 ion) but it's the wrong size, so it causes problems, including, possibly, permanent neurological damage. needless to say I was pretty miffed that the first pediatrician had recommended it without giving me any warning : I was never very successful in getting ds to take it anyway, and ended up wearing it more than anything BUT, to reassure you, I think you would know if this type of damage occurred-- it's been a while, but as I recall the symptoms were very obvious and of the "sudden onset" variety. however, once that happens, it's not reversible. that's why I dropped it.

regarding a dairy allergy, from what I understand, you do have to *totally* eliminate it for several weeks, including all those hidden places you wouldn't think of. even a tiny bit can produce the allergic response (although this depends on the kid). some parents have found that their dairy-sensitive kid could handle raw milk just fine, fwiw. eggs, as you mentioned, can be a culprit, and also wheat, particularly wheat gluten.

and yes, I have suspected certain trigger foods along the way, but ultimately our primary problem was just the withholding. right now we're still progressing towards potty usage with very mushy miralax poo many days he doesn't go to the bathroom until after he starts pooping, and there's still a good bit of mess, but he's at least finishing on the potty most times... it's been a long hard road! :

Julia, treehugger.gifintactlact.gif homebirth.jpg  mom to jumpers.gif blogging.jpg lefthandedinarighthandworld.wordpress.com

#127 of 228 Old 01-02-2007, 12:55 PM

For now we are still using Milk of Magnesia (MOM). I did a little research and am somewhat reassured. Apparently it is only an issue in the event of kidney failure (as magnesium is disposed of through the kidney) and we aren't giving the maximum dose.

However, I am looking for alternatives so perhaps we can reduce the dosage.

DH picked up some Bob's Red Mill High Fiber with flax and we have been giving her undiluted apple juice. One or the other of these things seem to be doing the trick so at least we don't have to increase the MOM dosage.

I have given her different versions of Bob's Red Mill hot wheat cereals before without results this dramatic so it's either the flax or the apple juice that's making a real difference.

Hope this info helps someone else.
~Cath
#128 of 228 Old 01-03-2007, 01:57 PM

Our big problem is withholding too, and our triggers, instead of food, seem to be situational. For example, we'd been on a good run of pooping, but we had out-of-town guests and everything was thrown off. He even started withholding pee. It was so frustrating to go backwards, and we had to adjust our family's plans because my son's behavior was just so atrocious.

I think it's possible he caught a little stomach bug, because his poop started getting realllly runny--way beyond a miralax poo. I've stopped the Miralax and it's still pretty runny. When it gets that bad, I think it's very distressing to him and even harder to hold.

Now the guests have gone, our regular routine (morning preschool) has started again, consistency is improving, and we've had two good poops in a row. I'm crossing my fingers for more success.
#129 of 228 Old 01-20-2007, 05:14 PM

Hi,
New to this thread but not to constipation issues. I've finally decided that miralax is the way to go, as we have an on-again-off-again problem that seems unrelated to dietary issues. My DD is almost 2 and eats whole grains, oatmeal, veggies, fruit, and still has issues. She doesn't drink much (like maybe 4 oz a day!) but is still nursing. Does anyone else have the issue where nursing seems to be part of the witholding pattern? My dd sometimes nurses and then, when relaxed, gets up and poops (standing up always). But other times she seems to be squirming (gotta poop) and then really wants to nurse and then doesn't poop.

Also, M.O.M. can apparently increase constipation problems if the child doesn't drink enough, whereas Miralax doesn't do that. Of course more liquids are good, but we had gotten to 1 T of M.O.M. a day for 3 days and no poop, b/c she was a bit dehydrated! Horrible to think you are doing the right thing and maybe it is making it worse! Ditto for the fiber - I think that people who give their child mostly happy meals and white pasta with cheese are the ones who need to add fiber, not those who are already having whole grains, veggies, fruits, etc. We gave dd prunes and it didn't seem to help!

Another question about miralax - we had luck (though sporadic) with flax seed oil, and at first the doc told us to stick with it and add M.O.M. But now she says stop the oil and just do miralax. I can't imagine how flax seed oil could be bad, and if it helps with the poop so we can do less miralax, that seems good. Ideas? I'm going to stick with a smaller dose (1t instead of 1T) for a while, but when we wean from the miralax, it would be good to have the oil there to help for a while.
#130 of 228 Old 01-21-2007, 04:53 PM

welcome erika! I don't see why you would need to stop the oil either. did the dr give a reason? we've found fluid intake to be very important too, and also difficult to push-- ds is very resistant!

pchan, I meant to respond to your last post. disruption of our routine is disastrous too. do we have the same kid?? I hear ya!

we've been having relative success recently, but ds has gotten backed up again. we accidentally missed the miralax 2 days in a row, but didn't have any problems at first, so I decided to leave off the med. and see what happened. he continued to go, in the potty, for a week! but then he finally got stopped up again, so we're back on it. we are now able to sometimes skip one day without much ill effect if any. I give him 2 tsp. if I could shift his diet a little more, I think the weaning would be possible, but for now I think I need to just be satisfied with the results we're getting. and, cold turkey doesn't work, which I knew, but decided to confirm by experiment, I guess! patience, patience...

#131 of 228 Old 01-23-2007, 03:07 AM

I would be OK with flax with the miralax too (unless it caused discomfort or extremely weird poo), because it has its own nutritional value. It seems like a regular food, unlike MOM.

So, we've had a spate of success lately! At the first sight of really runny poo (sickness, perhaps, although no other symptoms), I stopped giving miralax. We had 2 no-lax days, and then I started on a new campaign of a tablespoon of ground flax seed in breakfast oatmeal, plus two gummy bear fiber supplements (that someone recommended upthread) at lunch. This combination, plus plenty of water, has led to normal-looking, formed-but-soft-enough poo. My son poops about every other day, and the amount of drama is much less. It's gone from an entire terrible afternoon trying to hold in runny poop, to an hour or so in denial that he actually excretes like everyone else does and that the poop will eventually exit his body.

Our other big news is that he does it in the big toilet (not the little potty) now. We were caught at a friend's house with no other option, and after doing it once he's OK with it.

The bad news is, there is still a lot of persuasion going on to just poop already. He's still getting used to normal poop, and says it feels weird and doesn't like it when it feels stuck halfway out (keep pushing, we tell him). He often has a little speck of poop in his underwear by the time he's convinced that there is no other option.

Must run, I have a waking baby, happy poo wishes to all.
#132 of 228 Old 01-26-2007, 12:37 AM

UGH! Just when I thought I found a way to get ds to poop more regularly, he is retaining for more than 3 days again! I think he is either not getting enough flax seed oil every day or he is just becoming better at holdng it. I may have to try M.O.M. But he is not constipated, his poop is always soft, never hard. If I give him M.O.M. what will happen - and how much do you give a 3 1/2 year old? :
#133 of 228 Old 01-26-2007, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rox5266 View Post
I may have to try M.O.M. But he is not constipated, his poop is always soft, never hard. If I give him M.O.M. what will happen - and how much do you give a 3 1/2 year old? :
maybe nothing-- MOM did not help my expert retainer pass anything. remember that it doesn't have to be hard to be constipation-- if he's retaining, he's probably constipated as a result of that. I can't remember what dose we used with the MOM; it's been over 2 years since I tried that. I had better luck with mag citrate, a fizzy liquid solution in the same section of the pharmacy. ds liked it and didn't fight me about it. I think the dose on that was 1/4 cup every day until everything clears out, usually no more than 2-3 days. but check with your ped. to be sure! I'm not sure if I'm remembering right. I hated using that stuff because it only comes artificially colored and sweetened with saccharin!! : now that we use miralax we don't ever need any of those other remedies, but of course he's dependent on the miralax.

this week has been a hoot. ds and I had the worst stomach bug I've ever had in my LIFE, bar none. so here I am, 17 weeks pregnant and puking like my body is trying to turn itself inside out, and my 4 y.o. is doing the same. now he's a little bit afraid to eat, and then he threw up again last night, 3 days after I thought he was over it! so as if I wasn't a nervous wreck before but I guess the good news is that he's not having much trouble pooping and he hasn't had miralax since sunday... I just want him to be well, and stay that way. ugh.

#134 of 228 Old 01-27-2007, 07:51 PM

So he has started pooping - in his diaper. : He was almost completely trained to poop in the potty, I don't know why he is having this regression. Is it because he has recently ( as in this past week) stopped napping? Thanks for the info goddessjulia! I don't think my ds will drink anything fizzy. Maybe I'll just give him a double dose of Floridix Magnesium in his juice. But I am worried about him etting too much mag, maybe I'll do the Floridix Cal/Mag.
#135 of 228 Old 01-28-2007, 12:55 AM

For those who are using the fiber gummy bears - where do you purchase them? I have looked at our local Whole Foods and Central Market (like Whole Foods) and can't find them. What is the brand name? I want to try adding them to DS's daily routine in order to continue our taper of the Miralax.

Thanks!
#136 of 228 Old 01-28-2007, 01:49 AM

Fiber Bears are great! My nephew's gastroenterologist recommended them for him years ago, so I knew that they worked when DS started having "issues".

Yummi Bears Fiber is the name of the product. I have been buying them online at www.vitaglo.com. ($6.50) They had the best prices last time I checked. My Whole Foods carries them ($8), the local vitamin store has them, too. I just found it was cheaper to order them online.

http://www.yummibears.com/modules.ph...artid=9&page=1

The other thing that works well for us is FiberSure. It is inulin, which is a vegetable fiber and a prebiotic. One tsp = 5 grams of fiber. I mix it in pancake batter, cookies, you name it and it doesn't affect the taste or texture. It also mixes well in drinks. DS will drink it better than Miralax-laced stuff. Miralax tastes like plastic, IMO.

I am soooo glad to know I'm not alone with a poop-challenged kid!!
#137 of 228 Old 01-28-2007, 07:08 PM

Where can I get the FiberSure? Do they carry it at Whole Foods? I would rather give my ds that then Miralax, and I am unsure about the Magnesium, but the FiberSure sounds lke something I can put on his juice (where I hide everything I want himn to take ).
#138 of 228 Old 01-28-2007, 07:35 PM

FiberSure is pretty much everywhere mainstream(Target, grocery store, Costco, etc). It is over by the laxatives in the pharmacy section.

I'm glad you asked the question, b/c I found a website w/ a free sample and a $2 coupon!! Fibersure.com
#139 of 228 Old 01-29-2007, 01:32 AM

My Ds 8 has chronic constipation. He has dot have am enema about 8 months ago at the ER~Put him on Glycolax and stopped it after 3 weeks...BAD decision!

Took him back to the doctor recently, she said he needs to be on the Glycolax/Miralax for at least 1 year. 1x per day for a year. UGH. But I'll have to say for the month we have gotten thru with the glycolax, it is like he is a new kid! NO poop problems at all!

It was to the point where he was smelling very bad in school and the teacher contacted us, and we had to send wipes/undies to school with him-He was getting teased and I was afraid of CPS b/c of them thinking he was neglected. It was THAT bad.

I am amazed at what this stuff has done for him. He gets 17 ml per day (Normally right after school with his snack)

It was very very stressful for us all. (Laundry, smelling so so bad, him feeling emberrassed etc...)

The doctor basically told us exactly what poster #2 said!
#140 of 228 Old 01-29-2007, 02:19 AM

I haven't read the rest of the responses. But I have a couple of things you could try. More vitamin C, some oil in her diet to keep her bowels lubricated - cod liver oil is what I use, a probiotic like Effective Microorganisms or L.Reuteri.

This is a good sneaky way to get some extra fibre in to their diet - plus it is aloe vera so it has some other benefits that way. http://importfood.com/rtfo1001.html I pick this up in the chinese food market.

As to the potty being scary, and her holding so as not to use her diapers - could YOU hold her over the toilet or potty? I do EC with my kids, which is where this comes from.

You could do this a couple of different ways, but the main idea is you hold her with her back to your stomach and your hands under her knees. You can hold her over the pot, or have her put her feet on the back of the toilet/toilet seat so that she is kind of squatting.

The novelty alone might help her break the cycle.
#141 of 228 Old 01-29-2007, 04:35 PM

Hi, just joining the "please, please poop" tribe. I've read through about half the thread and all I can say is My ds#1 is almost 3yo and has been struggled with constipation since infancy. As a newborn every Sunday afternoon became "P-day" and resulted in a blowout diaper. Needless to say we usually had a very cranky baby during church. We finally realized how bad it was after a middle of the night trip to the ER because he was in some serious stomach pain. I thought it might be appendicidis (sp?) but it turns out he was full of poop. My husband took him and apparently after the enema he said, "Ahh, my tummy doesn't hurt anymore." He's been on Miralax for about 3 months now. All along I thought he was struggling really hard to push it out but in hindsight I think he was trying really hard to keep it in. Now the only way we know he's done something is if we hear or smell it. He isn't even bothered by a poopy diaper anymore :

He's such a picky eater that it's hard to get fiber into him, although I don't know if it would make a huge difference. I'm adding coconut flour to his baked goods as it is super high in fiber, now the trick is to get him to eat them. When he was younger I mixed psyillium into his yogurt (don't know how great an idea that was) and had him loaded up on prune juice; it barely touched it. If 8+ oz. of prune juice don't get action in a 20 lb kid than you know something isn't right. I had to bite my tongue when an aquaintance told me to give him some fresh-squeezed orange juice and insisted that would do the trick. Anyway, I'm really glad to find some other mothers who are also struggling with this (not that I'm glad you're in this situation with your dc, but you know what I mean). It's helpful to see what has worked and what hasn't as well as other ways to deal with it. Right now all I can think of is that maybe he has a dairy or wheat sensitivity (the only two things he eats). It's good to see that other kids suffer from this "just because" and not necessarily due to allergies.

ETA: It looks like ds#2 might be following in big brothers footsteps. He only poops (aside from frequent smears) once, occasionally twice a week. Looking forward to the fun all over again.
#142 of 228 Old 01-29-2007, 11:31 PM

Rachel! sorry to welcome you here but at least you found us! the support of this list has been so helpful to me. those who haven't btdt just do *not* get it, which can be terribly isolating! good luck with the journey!

#143 of 228 Old 01-30-2007, 03:22 PM

Welcome to the new folks--I'm glad you found this thread, although sorry that you're going through poop drama.

Christab, thanks for the link for the mail-order gummy bears! They've been working great for us and my local Whole Foods sells them for TEN DOLLARS.
#144 of 228 Old 01-30-2007, 04:30 PM

Carlin is still on Miralax after 4 months. I have 3 months of his poop calendar.

2 weeks ago Carlin was doing great!! he had a total of 6 poops in the toilet over 5 days.

but then we all got sick. he had been in the hospital for 3 days for dehydration and seizure-like activity, following 30 hours of vomiting/diarreah. the xray then looked fine. he was barely eating or drinking. they gave him a total of 5 bolus of fluids, 2 salt and 3 with sugar. we did manage to forget to take Miralax for those first 2 days. 4 days after discharge we went to see the Encopresis clinic for his checkup and they took an Xray, he was Totally Impacted. his behavior really improved after the enema.

so how did he get impacted so quickly?? why couldn't I tell when he was impacted? I don't get it.

this week his behavior sucks, can't keep still or is so exhausted he asks to go upstairs to bed 2 hours early. very whiny and out of sorts. he gets changed at least 4-5 times a day, and every change has a tablespoon or less of poop but man, he can clear the room PPPPuuuu!

why won't he poop all at once? he is taking 1 1/2 doses of Miralax a day, 1or 2 fiber tablets at 2grams, and a AllBran granola bar at 5 grams. He gets plenty of water/juice, probably 30-40 ounces a day although once in a while I have to fight to get the first cup of water/juice/Miralax down him. and he gets 1/2 capsule of probiotic mixed with chocolate.

ok so this turned more into a vent than an update.....
but you guys are the only ones that truly understand.
love and light,
Bryanna
#145 of 228 Old 01-31-2007, 12:03 AM

so sorry to hear, Bryanna! getting sick has thrown us off too. galen is totally stopped up-- no miralax for a week now. he threw up again last night, although he acts totally fine in between. it seems that his retention/slow metabolism has slowed him down in getting all the way over the virus. don't be too hard on yourself for the impaction happening so fast. probably his bowel is just still really stretched out, and after being sick his system will have to remember what to do. since he was empty just days before, there's obviously nothing you could have done differently. do you feel confident that his irritability is just from his constipation? I only ask that because I was just reading up on reye's syndrome because the pepto bismol I bought contains aspirin. I definitely won't be using it now. very scary stuff! anyway, irritability and vomiting can be symptoms, although it *usually* is coming on after a child has recovered from a non-stomach bug, like upper-respiratory flu and chicken pox (evidently those are the most common predecessors of reye's). so, not at all to scare you, I literally just read about it before checking email, so it's on my mind. good luck getting back to a "regular" routine!

#146 of 228 Old 01-31-2007, 01:07 AM

Bryanna,

(Now I want to add a disclaimer that I don't know very much about impacted bowels, and that my advice is more about behavior than medical issues).

That said, when the poop does come, what consistency is it? I ask because the times I have gone overboard on Miralax/juice/etc., my son's behavior has been extra rotten. I would think that he just needed a little more help to have an easy poo; however, the urgency of a really soft poo made him act like a bear. Instead of holding in a manageable poo, he had to concentrate on keeping in a big messy one.

By scaling back on the dosage of Miralax, I was able to find the point where he was pooping just as frequently (about every other day), but with firmer poop and better behavior.
#147 of 228 Old 01-31-2007, 01:08 PM

OK, this is TMI to anyone but you guys....

Carlin's poop, when it does come is usually like soft oatmeal. It is like chocolate milk when I get up to a Miralax dose that is too much. even the GI doc said chocolate milk is too much! and the past week he hasn't really pooped, just 'touch of color' in his diaper or a couple tablespoons maximum, but frequently. Soft tan oatmeal but oh so stinky!

I have noticed, historically, that when he does poop in the potty, it is really skinny, like pencil skinny, like a kitten skinny. I thought megacolon was the opposite: toilet cloggers.

We have a 2 year old friend who poops round little rabbit pellets every day. (Sometimes I envy that...)

He has been hitting the 2 year old, shoving her down to get her toy, and when she logically retailiates he breaks down to tears almost unconsolable. He overreacts when the TV show ends. Rushes past to jump into the chair in front of you then makes a neinerneiner noise. He will ask you to make oatmeal, but if it isn't just right he 'hates it' and wants something else. He either can't stop running/jumping/spinning/dancing or is curled up somewhere almost asleep.

Can 4 year olds be depressed? writing this out makes me think of how I feel when I'm in a major depression episode... short fuse, quick to tears, wired but exhausted, with a Need to make everyone else feel just as bad.

It's frustrating because I know that most of his behavior is still 'typical 4 year old', but he is generally not typical.

Thanks guys,
Bryanna
#148 of 228 Old 01-31-2007, 01:49 PM

I haven't read all the thread yet but wanted to commisserate.

My dd went through this. What I figured out is that she didn't like the *sensation* of poo-ing. She is now 8 and has been going once a day for years now. It's no longer a "problem" but we sure tore our hair out when she was younger, trying to figure out what was going on...
#149 of 228 Old 01-31-2007, 04:23 PM
Banned

OK, I have to confess to two things first: 1) my son's problem is not that bad, he sometimes resists pooping on the potty, but eventually will go. 2) My advice is probably meant for someone like me; someone who has a child with a very minor problem or just the start of a problem.

So, DS is almost 4 and MOST days he will poop on the potty. Sometimes, for whatever reason (he's too busy, knows that the poop is large and might hurt a bit, etc.) he will resist. Aside from good diet and encouragement, the one thing I have found that works is bribery. Or okay, let's call it a reward. M&Ms, a Hershey Kiss, etc. It convinces him to sit on the potty and once there he will do his business and we're all set. I find I have to do this about once every two weeks or so. When he was toilet training, that is how I got him to poop; with food rewards and stickers. He pee-trained very early but the poop thing took forever, he was about 3 years 4 mos. before he would even consider sitting on the potty. Eventually it became a habit and he stopped asking for the rewards. He doesn't even ask for them now; I have to remind him that he can have a chocolate if he sits on the potty.

I know this isn't exactly the best of attachment/natural parenting, but it has kept him regular and has kept it from becoming a huge behavior issue. So if anyone thinks their child is beginning to develop a phobia or control issue with the potty, you may want to consider a food reward. For us it has really worked.
#150 of 228 Old 02-01-2007, 01:56 PM

Bryanna, if you haven't read _Raising Your Spirited Child_ by Mary Sheedy Kurcinka, I **highly** recommend it. your little guy sounds a lot like mine (also 4), and I have also worried about his emotional state (and sometimes still do). the personality spectrum is broad, and when you have a little one who's on the intense end, it can be very confusing, especially when it seems all your friends have these docile little darlings! that was always my situation. another thing to consider is food sensitivities/allergies, especially artificial colors and high fructose corn syrup, along with wheat and dairy. artificial colors are a major no-no at our house. if ds has them, I know to brace myself for the tornado! without them, and with other preventive measures like heavy physical activity when I can make it happen, all is much better. feel free to pm me if you want to talk more about this topic.

on another note, I wanted to share with you all that I think the grapefruit seed extract took care of the nasty tummy bug that was just hanging on in ds. more than 48 hours with no vomit for the first time in a week and a half! woohoo!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page