Constipation/pooping woes w/potty learning aged children - Page 7 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#181 of 228 Old 05-06-2007, 06:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Miralax is not OTC - yep, it is the same stuff.

Instead of glycerin suppositories - which burn and hurt - try 1/2 a ducolax (stimulant) suppository. Our Ped GI recommended them and they work much better than the glycerin and don't hurt (which is critical in getting cooperation with a suppository).
#182 of 228 Old 05-06-2007, 11:47 PM

for those of you whose children are taking a laxative product - how does your DC and you cope with "leakage" and "accidents". My 4 year old DS is potty trained in terms of doing pees and he can poop on the toilet if the laxative (Lansoyl) is the right dosage but if he gets too little a dose he leaks into this underpants or too much - he has diarrhea that ends up soiling his underpants. The Lansoyl is a jelly and what qualifies as his correct dosage seems to vary day to day. I'm really worried about September when DS is to start JK. And, right now, just attending public functions (like t-ball) can be a worry if he's having bowel troubles.

Anyone else with these worries?
#183 of 228 Old 05-07-2007, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkPixie View Post
What's the difference between miralax and lansoyl ?

I've never heard of miralax. Both my ds and dd are on two doses a day of lansoyl, which is basically a jelly mineral oil.
Miralax or Glycolax (generic) is polyethlene glycol powder. It's dissolved in warm water then added to something to drink. It "softens the stool and increases the frequency of bowl movements by retaining water in the stool." I find for my dd it's not much of a laxative (we use mineral oil on toast/in yogurt, etc if needed) but has been more helpful in keeping the stool soft while her colon heals and so that the bm is never thick and painful.

It was only offered by perscription, however I recently noticed it offered on the shelf at Target in a small supply-perhaps enough for one week.

What freaks me out about Miralax is that it says on the label it's not to be used by children or for more than two weeks. Well, per the instructions of two different medical professsionals, my child has been on it for 2 years. We're weaning her off of it, but it's a slow process.
#184 of 228 Old 05-07-2007, 08:26 AM

Wow! Where has this thread been? I've really really needed it. I have a dr appt today to talk about this very issue, in addition to other issues I'm having with my 3.5 year old.

The summary is that he only poops twice a week and that's only because I aggressively work with him every time. We've tried every natural thing I can think of. Aloe juice had basically NO affect on him so I stopped wasting my money on that. I was giving him a decent sized slug or two as well and it did nothing. Right now, we're doing prune juice (which he loves for some reason) and Epsom salt baths. I massage his abdomen in the direction that his intestines work. I also give him flax seed tea if I'm desperate.

He is not constipated, as the appearance is normal and he doesn't have a hard time doing it. On the contrary, he's holding it in and I have to convince him to stop holding it in. We have talked about it so much to the point where the whole thing just exhausts me. And I even bribe him with chocolate, which is so out of character for me as we don't do junk food and my oldest didn't taste candy/chocolate/ice cream at all until he was 4 years old. And even with the promise of a chocolate, he will still hold it in.

When I've gotten him to talk to me about it, the answer is always the same. He's afraid it will hurt. Every time he does it, we comment about how easy it was and how much better he must feel and how it really didn't hurt. And yet every time it happens again, he withholds because he's afraid it will hurt.

He's had issues since he was a baby. When he was a 1 yr old, he only went once a week and it was hard for him. In the past year, it looks very easy to pass but he's simply holding it in. I have to dedicate hours, twice a week, to get him to poop. The whole thing is exhausting me!
#185 of 228 Old 05-07-2007, 01:06 PM

I saw a commercial recently that said miralax would now be otc, but I haven't looked for it in stores because we haven't been out. the polyethylene glycol powder draws water into the intestines, keeping bm's soft. fwiw, I have read the longitudinal study of chronic use in children (12 months +) and no problems were found (and it did seem to be a well-done study, unlike some). this is what reassured me when I was deciding to start using it with ds. it is very commonly recommended for long-term use (a minimum of 3-6 months is what I read) for these chronic retention/ enlarged bowel problems, because it is the least likely to cause cramping etc (although I know at least one person who has been on this thread reported painful cramping with her dc on it). ds has been on it for over a year now, although we are well into the weaning process now and only use it for blockages. the "worst" part of miralax for most of us has been the massive poops it produces when things are getting cleaned out and the weaning is a **very** slow process! but then any laxative weaning will be. we're dealing with a blockage again (relapse) right now : I think it's because we're remodeling the bathroom that ds would normally use during the day. by the time he gets upstairs to the other bathroom the urge is gone. :

I have worried for a couple of years now about the whole "going out in public with poop issues" thing. ds does not attend school, and will not, so that particular part was not a problem. I was considering a local daycare-ish thing, but not only was it pretty lousy, he also didn't want to go, and I didn't want him to get shaming added on top of his tendency to retain (which definitely would have happened at this place-- icky). before tearing out the bathroom we had reached a point of relative balance with it, so I could pretty easily work around whether it was going to be a poop day or not, as could he (no problems using the potty anymore). I'm sure we'll get back to it soon, once we get him unplugged again I guess the way we dealt with it when it was a major issue was simply to carry lots of undies and wipes, be as low-key as possible, and stay home as much as possible when I knew it was likely to be a blowout day. having trouble regulating the dose seems to be a pretty common problem; what helped most at our house was p-chan's idea of measuring the miralax very precisely and then sticking with that to maintain a certain consistency, but it did take some trial and error first!

ok, being asked to go look at a dragonfly

Julia, treehugger.gifintactlact.gif homebirth.jpg  mom to jumpers.gif blogging.jpg lefthandedinarighthandworld.wordpress.com

#186 of 228 Old 05-07-2007, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momalea View Post
Miralax or Glycolax (generic) is polyethlene glycol powder. It's dissolved in warm water then added to something to drink. It "softens the stool and increases the frequency of bowl movements by retaining water in the stool." I find for my dd it's not much of a laxative (we use mineral oil on toast/in yogurt, etc if needed) but has been more helpful in keeping the stool soft while her colon heals and so that the bm is never thick and painful.

It was only offered by perscription, however I recently noticed it offered on the shelf at Target in a small supply-perhaps enough for one week.

What freaks me out about Miralax is that it says on the label it's not to be used by children or for more than two weeks. Well, per the instructions of two different medical professsionals, my child has been on it for 2 years. We're weaning her off of it, but it's a slow process.
Thanks for the info. Our Lansoyl "prescription" is not otc, so we pay out of our pockets. It get's pricey especially since we have 2 kids on it. I wish is was otc so that our insurance would cover it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goddessjulia View Post
I saw a commercial recently that said miralax would now be otc, but I haven't looked for it in stores because we haven't been out. the polyethylene glycol powder draws water into the intestines, keeping bm's soft. fwiw, I have read the longitudinal study of chronic use in children (12 months +) and no problems were found (and it did seem to be a well-done study, unlike some). this is what reassured me when I was deciding to start using it with ds. it is very commonly recommended for long-term use (a minimum of 3-6 months is what I read) for these chronic retention/ enlarged bowel problems, because it is the least likely to cause cramping etc (although I know at least one person who has been on this thread reported painful cramping with her dc on it). ds has been on it for over a year now, although we are well into the weaning process now and only use it for blockages. the "worst" part of miralax for most of us has been the massive poops it produces when things are getting cleaned out and the weaning is a **very** slow process! but then any laxative weaning will be. we're dealing with a blockage again (relapse) right now : I think it's because we're remodeling the bathroom that ds would normally use during the day. by the time he gets upstairs to the other bathroom the urge is gone. :

I have worried for a couple of years now about the whole "going out in public with poop issues" thing.
All laxative products have that disclaimer on them. All our docs said that the products are safe and don't cause dependency.

About the going out in public thing.... Ds who is 5.5 attends school. He had a bad "accident" week where he did 2 accidents per day

The school called me and ambushed me into a meeting where they said that my ds' behaviour was innacceptable and that they were asking me to remove him from school until he stops.: this was a month and a half ago. That was just hard, rough and I was furious. He's still going to school now and has been accident free for 4 weeks!!!!! They let him come back because I got mad and refused to remove him from the school he loves (and all his friends).

It's hard for others to understand. They think the child is doing this on purpose. Most people seriously lack compassion in regards to this condition.
#187 of 228 Old 05-07-2007, 11:19 PM

Quote:
All laxative products have that disclaimer on them. All our docs said that the products are safe and don't cause dependency.

It's hard for others to understand. They think the child is doing this on purpose. Most people seriously lack compassion in regards to this condition.
amen to that!! it's so frustrating, and if you try to explain/educate, they just think your kid has you snowed and that you're getting manipulated. I really really hate that whole "children are out to get their parents" attitude :

as for the laxatives not causing dependency, I think they all *do* cause dependency, but the thing I realized with ds was, he was already dependent on something if he wouldn't poop without help, kwim? so what difference does it make if he becomes dependent on some laxative?

btw, we got poop!!

Julia, treehugger.gifintactlact.gif homebirth.jpg  mom to jumpers.gif blogging.jpg lefthandedinarighthandworld.wordpress.com

#188 of 228 Old 05-07-2007, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkPixie View Post
About the going out in public thing.... Ds who is 5.5 attends school. He had a bad "accident" week where he did 2 accidents per day
I meant to respond to this part too-- that's so hard! poor thing! ds (4.5) is adamant about being homeschooled so that's how I've gotten out of dealing with schools. (around here, our choices totally BLOW, so it's just as well, although he's also very extroverted and spirited which often leaves me very tired! especially during this pregnancy!!) too bad your ds likes going, otherwise you could take him out! when I first discovered miralax and we were getting the dosage figured out, ds would have many blowouts per day (he also was not poop-potty-trained at that time, around age 3). that got better as I figured out where his dose needed to be. I don't like keeping him on any medication, but I'll definitely keep up with this rather than suffer the consequences. this is one of those things that "didn't turn out like I planned" that I have to accept. he'll struggle with this, probably for a very long time, and maybe for the rest of his life. I don't know if I could have done anything differently, but I see that this is where we are now. *sigh*

#189 of 228 Old 05-08-2007, 12:06 AM
mtm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CathMac View Post

If DD1 was egg/cow milk intolerant (possibly allergic) during the first 1 to 1 1/2 year of nursing, how likely is it that dairy could be constipating her if she is otherwise asymptomatic now? If a dairy allergy is suspected, is a total elimination diet absolutely necessary or is it possible that simply cutting back would be helpful?

Here's a strange question, has anyone here ever suspected one particular food as a trigger? In our case I am starting to wonder about our "go to" lunch for her, "Beefaroni" which would have some incidental dairy.

~Cath
My little one is gluten and dairy sensitive, he gets any gluten and he is horribly constipated. We just managed to get him regular (once a day for the first time ever!) with a combo of vit C, fish oil, acidophilus and calc carb. My naturopath is worth her weight in gold.
#190 of 228 Old 05-10-2007, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtm View Post
My little one is gluten and dairy sensitive, he gets any gluten and he is horribly constipated. We just managed to get him regular (once a day for the first time ever!) with a combo of vit C, fish oil, acidophilus and calc carb. My naturopath is worth her weight in gold.
I'm wondering if my ds is sensitive to gluten and/or dairy. He's been constipated since infancy and had dairy sensitivity which he seemed to grow out of around 6 months (reacting to my breastmilk with severe gassiness). Anyway, he's a very picky eater and his favorite foods are dairy and wheat, loves yogurt, bread, goldfish crackers, etc. He's on Miralax and more juice than I care for. Mtm, how long does it take for your ds to "recover" from exposure to gluten? I'd really like to try eliminating gluten for a trial run but dh thinks we should wait until ds understands better before we try something so "traumatic." I disagree but that's another issue/thread.

Oh, ds#2 is about 6.5 months adjusted (actual 9 months old) and is exclusively breastfed. He's on zantac and occasionally iron and is following in his older brother's footsteps with dairy intolerance and constipation. Makes me more curious about a gluten issue (I'm trying to be good and go wheat/gluten free but not being 100%
#191 of 228 Old 05-12-2007, 04:54 PM

Good news, he's pooping n the toilet regualrly again - after retaining for 4 days! : He does not seem as eager to poop as he used to be, but at least he is going. He was acting abysmally before he finally made it.
#192 of 228 Old 05-15-2007, 11:54 PM

: Spoke too soon. He needs to go but wouldn't go tonight. :
#193 of 228 Old 05-16-2007, 03:44 AM

what options do I have to send Carlin to school?

He will be 4y9m on the deadline for Kindergarten, and there is a Possibility of early enrollment. But he is firmly in pullups. and doesn't pee in the potty at all and only rarely poops.

and he is gifted. He has been to two years of small preschool and we are finishing up homeschool Kindergarten and 1/2 through the 1st material. Would an IEP, special needs plan, get him the educational challenge he needs while still allowing diapers? He does qualify for ECEAP preschool in September, but they want him trained/nearly trained.

I am up to the challenge of keeping him home now and maybe skipping him up a grade later. but sometimes the thought of a couple hours to myself everyday sounds so So SO good.
Love and Light,
Bryanna
#194 of 228 Old 05-17-2007, 05:08 PM

I would encourage anyone who is using Miralax or considering using it to check out the yahoo group called "Miralax". There are many many many discussions, personal testimonies, FDA data, etc. within the group that can help you understand that it actually *can* be a dangerous and/or harmful drug, especially with the doses and length of use many children are dealing with.

Also, you'll find a lot of alternative treatments available for constipation. It has definitely been worthwhile for me. Through that group I found out about a product called Fruit-Eze, which is just a jam of prunes, raisins, and dates, which my daughter now takes (and enjoys) daily. She used to withhold her bowel movements for more than a week at a time (for almost a year, although it wasn't always that bad), but now she usually has a bowel movement every day, and sometimes skips a day. We've dropped all our other medications to get her to go. Sometimes we still struggle to get her on the potty so she will go (there is some lingering fear, after all!), but she never has traumatic bowel movements anymore. Other members have found entire protocols of vitamins and supplements that are huge helps to their children. But at the very least, it's a good informational group and worth checking out.

SAHM to Melinda (Oct '03), Jacob (Aug '05),  Alex (Apr '08), and baby.gif Malcolm (Sept 29, '11)

#195 of 228 Old 05-18-2007, 08:24 PM

I have a DD who just turned 4, is still in pull-ups and refuses to tell me when she has to poop or potty.

My husband is at his wits end. I cannot have THREE children in diapers. I LOATHE diaper duty and am hoping, praying, BEGGING that she'll be potty trained by the time this baby arrives.

My DS, who is 2, is interested in potty training, does not like wearing diapers, wants to wear pull-ups, and likes sitting on the potty, but usually doesn't do much in it.

DD will use the potty but only if I constantly ask and remind her... although she has used it a couple times at her Sunday School group- where ALL the kids her age are potty trained (maybe the pressure).

Im GOING NUTS over this. The set backs were due to having a baby and moving a lot.

I'm incredibly embarrassed that she is still in diapers, basically, and is content to go in her diapers (even though "it hurts") because she is now getting rashes.

I was actually hoping the rashes and "the hurt" would motivate her to potty train quicker, sad as it is.

Christian Texan Mama to Merika (5/2005), Nolyn (1/2007), Keagan (UC baby 9/2007), Four miscarried lovelies, and sweet Evangeline Rose who arrived 9/7/2010 (home/water birth).  Expecting our fifth blessing March 2012! Viva la Vegan Pregnancy, my friends! 
Mandymom.com

#196 of 228 Old 05-18-2007, 11:54 PM

I just ordered some Fruit-Eze. I really hope it helps. I am so sick of the Miralax because it seems that we cannot get off of it. I taper so slowly for months and month and months and at some point - right around 1.5 tsp - well, we end up back at square one. DS was having super soft poos at 2 tsp that he seemed almost unable to control (lots of accidents). Then at 1.5 tsp more accidents, then DH (without consulting me!) stopped the meds over a weekend trip - even restarted 2 days later and that was in January and we can't seem to get back on track.

I am so sad because he has been on Miralax for 3.5 years. Two weekends ago he pooped on the floor 4 times in one day! This past week has been better because I think we've worked through some of hte oppositional 3 1/2 year-old behavior related to using the toilet. Paying him .25 to poop in the potty has been a good motivator. I swear, he is raking it in and keeps talking about saving his money for somethign really big (Playmobil castle or something).
#197 of 228 Old 05-19-2007, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMandy View Post
I was actually hoping the rashes and "the hurt" would motivate her to potty train quicker, sad as it is.
mama! I feel your pain (and hers!). for us it was the pain that caused the whole retaining process to start in the first place. I hope you find what works for you soon. it helps me to remember that ds is really not out to get me with this, that he would love mastery of his body if he could manage it. something is just interfering with that process sometimes. (this is really good for me to remind myself of right now, when I've got a baby due in 6-7 weeks and he's banging his head into my shoulder as I type!!) we had emotional setbacks too, too much instability for the little guy, that really made things severe and unmanageable without prescriptions for a very long time. we did finally cross over to potty-trained land (also after age 4 for poop) and I'm sure you'll get it figured out for your dd. hopefully soon! :

#198 of 228 Old 05-19-2007, 09:23 PM

Ok, it was a lapse of one day. He actually asked to go poopies BEFORE his bath tonight and (unlike other times) made it too! He even made a little pee pee i the toliet as well - I am trying to get through to him that he should be doing all his peepee in the toilet. :
#199 of 228 Old 05-21-2007, 11:03 AM

congrats roxanne!! for us, pee was virtually instantaneous-- what did it was having my friend and her son staying with us for a few days a couple of summers ago. he's a year older than ds and the whole "standing to pee" thing was so amazing to ds that he just had to do it! maybe you can recruit someone else's kid for the same reason! of course, then it took us 2 more years to get the poop working... and it's still an "issue," let me say, lest I jinx myself!!

we're remodeling our main floor bathroom right now, and yesterday was the day the old potty finally had to come out so dh could do the new floor. naturally, ds had to poop. here's what happened: first, all of ds's clothes from the waist down come off (that's always a requirement, even to pee; then he doesn't put them back on ). then, butt clenched (which makes his little penis stick out, which I think is just hilarious), he yells: "MOM! I NEED TO POOP AND DADDY TOOK OUT THE POTTY!!!" me: "ok, just go upstairs." him: "I CAN'T!!!" I am trying not to crack up. he's on tippy-toes trying to hold it in. "ok, daddy can carry you upstairs." (recall that I am 34 weeks pregnant, and ds weighs about 41 lbs.) "NOOOO!!" "I'm sorry honey, daddy will have to do it." "NOOOO!!!" as dh carries him upstairs, his whole body stiff as a board! he does make it, though, and miracle of miracles, he still was able to release and poop what dh reported to be a substantial amount. this is on no meds!! then, to round out the story, dh flushed it before I could come see it and ds was insanely furious and ordered dh into time-out for "ALL DAY!!" good thing for dh that ds explodes fast then forgets his anger just as quickly I've still got a big order of yummi bears coming, and I'll keep on that, but this was definitely something that could not have happened even a few months ago without miralax. there's hope!! (now watch, he'll stopper himself up again now that I've said that!)

#200 of 228 Old 05-21-2007, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goddessjulia View Post
he does make it, though, and miracle of miracles, he still was able to release and poop what dh reported to be a substantial amount. this is on no meds!! then, to round out the story, dh flushed it before I could come see it and ds was insanely furious and ordered dh into time-out for "ALL DAY!!" )

This is so funny. DS likes me to check out is poop too. I have to be sure to make appreciative comments about not just it being correctly deposited in the toilet, but also about its size, texture, and stinkiness.

I'm guessing I'm not the only poop-looker on this discussion.
#201 of 228 Old 06-04-2007, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leiahs View Post
I would encourage anyone who is using Miralax or considering using it to check out the yahoo group called "Miralax". There are many many many discussions, personal testimonies, FDA data, etc. within the group that can help you understand that it actually *can* be a dangerous and/or harmful drug, especially with the doses and length of use many children are dealing with.

Also, you'll find a lot of alternative treatments available for constipation. It has definitely been worthwhile for me. Through that group I found out about a product called Fruit-Eze, which is just a jam of prunes, raisins, and dates, which my daughter now takes (and enjoys) daily. She used to withhold her bowel movements for more than a week at a time (for almost a year, although it wasn't always that bad), but now she usually has a bowel movement every day, and sometimes skips a day. We've dropped all our other medications to get her to go. Sometimes we still struggle to get her on the potty so she will go (there is some lingering fear, after all!), but she never has traumatic bowel movements anymore. Other members have found entire protocols of vitamins and supplements that are huge helps to their children. But at the very least, it's a good informational group and worth checking out.
Thanks so much for suggesting the yahoo miralax group. I've found so much useful information there (as well as a little scary about the Miralax, but that's just motivation to work on getting ds1 off of it and keeping ds2 from ever needing it).

Someone posted an article in the Healing the Gut Tribe thread in the Health and Healing forum about the benefits of epsom salt baths for constipation. The benefits are not just from the magnesium but also from the sulphur which the gut needs but may be deficit in. I thought I'd give it a try with my boys. It's hard to tell with ds1 since he's on the glycolax but I think it's really helping ds2. He had gotten to where he was pooping every 7-12 days (12th day with suppositories) and is EBF. I don't care what docs say, that is not normal for a breastfed baby. After starting the baths (about every other day) he's pooped every other day for the last week.
#202 of 228 Old 07-24-2007, 11:06 PM

great thread, bumping in case mom's in need haven't seen it...
thx all that shared their experience

we're not in a bad situation yet, but potty training has produced some retention, and I am so glad to know this before we get into a real jam, so to speak so thanks

Liz

Kids. I got two of 'em.
#203 of 228 Old 09-16-2007, 01:00 AM

Well, just bumping again because there have been a lot of pooping threads lately - and also because I need a vent, I guess. Maybe not a vent, but a BTDT or something.

DS1 is back to not pooping. He is actively holding in poop. I stopped the Miralax after about 8 months of tapering. He's taking 1T of benefiber per day and eating reasonably well. He has, however, returned holding in his poop and only going about once a week. N amount of reasoning, reassurance, explanations, encouragement, or bribes his helping him sit on the toilet and just *try* when he quite obviously needs to go. Last week I swear he pushed out a couple rocks - he had to squat between my legs and poop on the floor. I felt like a midwife! Lots of crying and grunting and screaming and he finally got the poop out.

He seems to think that if he eats fruit the poop will remind soft no matter how long he holds it in. Now, eating fruit it great. But nothing will keep poop soft if you hold it for a week - or nothing I've found. Half the time he won't eat fruit, anyhow. I did manage to get him to take 2 bites of an apple and 2 ryecrisps today.

So, I feel like we've taken a few steps back and this problem will never be over.

DS2 showed early signs of slow gut but happily takes prune juice and eats lentils, grapes, etc. and keeps things moving.
#204 of 228 Old 09-16-2007, 01:29 AM

I always have mixed feelings when I see this thread revived---it's nice because it's a wonderful source of information and commiseration, but on the other hand, I'm sorry to hear about continuing woes (annekevdbroek, what a bummer to go backwards). It's so hard for the kids and their parents!

We are in a pretty good place right now. There have been a couple of specific things to get us here, but I think most of it is just a general maturing/mellowing of my son's personality:

1. First off, we did not start child psych. sessions, as I mentioned was a possibility awhile ago. It never quite felt right, and fortunately he started making progress before I jumped through the right insurance hoops to get it going.

2. We have continued with the Yummi Bears fiber gummy bears. He gets four (maximum recommended dose) daily. This is in addition to lots of water, fresh fruits and veggies, and occasionally prune juice.

3. We started having "practice time" each day. This was a recommendation of the pediatric GI, and my son bought into it immediately (he has a strong respect for medical professionals!). Around 2 pm (he's an afternoon pooper), he was to sit on the toilet and "practice." It took a lot of reassurance from me that I didn't expect poop, just practice. Once on the toilet, he could stay as long or as little as he wanted. I had heard this advice so many times and never taken it---it was the only "new" idea the GI offered me so I decided to try it.

So he never pooped during the "practice" time, but what I found was that it would usually start a process going that he would more willingly poop later in the afternoon.

What has emerged is that his natural rhythm seems to be to poop every other day around 3 pm. Our current routine is that if it's a poop day, I'll remind him after lunch that he'll be pooping that afternoon, and to let me know when he's ready. If he hasn't pooped by around 3:30, I'll have to tell him it's time. He has learned to poop "slowly" (as he calls it), and I think that mean that he doesn't wait until it basically explodes--he's learned how to ease it out.

We still have some behavior issues before poops, but it's much more subtle than before.

I worry about my daugher, but for the most part she seems to be OK--if she skips a day it gets a little uncomfortable for her, but she isn't retaining. She would eat fruit and drink prune juice all day if I'd let her! I want to keep a light touch with potty learning to avoid any issues!
#205 of 228 Old 10-31-2007, 05:26 PM

bump
#206 of 228 Old 10-31-2007, 05:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ok gals! I have not read the whole thread, so sorry if this has been asked. I so hope it hasn't for mom, but hope it has so I'm not the only one out there.

I have a very close to 6 year old who is having a MAJOR issue with pooping. We had a hard time getting him to poop in the potty to start with. We think it was a massive poop and got him scared and then he would only go in diaper. Not until 5 did he really get the toilet thing. Even then it wasn't 100%. So he has now started K. He was doing great the first month, month and a half then all the sudden he is starting to go at school! Mostly what happens is they go on the playground and he ends up getting started then stops. By then his pants are 'streaked'. Right now it is about every other day, some times every third day. I have started a habit of when we come home he has to go sit on the potty. Hoping I can re train his body to go then, not at school.

So....PLEASE..any words of adivse?? I'm afraid what has happen is long ago his sphnicter (sp) has gotten stretched and goes back to not 'feeling' it correctly and goes. Our plan of action right now was to try miralax at Thanksgiving when we had a good week at home and family to help watch him..but don't know if it would hlep!

I just don't know....I am sooo frustrated. I am kinda keeping it from the teacher. I orginally told her what was going on and she said if it kept up we might need to take him out of school. Not an option at this point. I don't think it's a school problem...he seems to love school, does great, has friends and has adjusted very well!

Help...help....help....help!!!
#207 of 228 Old 10-31-2007, 10:21 PM

Just wanted to post an update, dd has been pooping in the potty! I started giving her a probiotic and after a month she was going in the potty easily. We ran out of the probiotic for a few days and she got constipated again. We're still working to get back on track but things are so much better now.

adtake, no advice but I am sure the school cannot legally ask your son to stay home. Hope you find an answer soon.
#208 of 228 Old 11-01-2007, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adtake View Post
I have a very close to 6 year old who is having a MAJOR issue with pooping. We had a hard time getting him to poop in the potty to start with. We think it was a massive poop and got him scared and then he would only go in diaper. Not until 5 did he really get the toilet thing. Even then it wasn't 100%. So he has now started K. He was doing great the first month, month and a half then all the sudden he is starting to go at school! Mostly what happens is they go on the playground and he ends up getting started then stops. By then his pants are 'streaked'. Right now it is about every other day, some times every third day. I have started a habit of when we come home he has to go sit on the potty. Hoping I can re train his body to go then, not at school.

So....PLEASE..any words of adivse?? I'm afraid what has happen is long ago his sphnicter (sp) has gotten stretched and goes back to not 'feeling' it correctly and goes. Our plan of action right now was to try miralax at Thanksgiving when we had a good week at home and family to help watch him..but don't know if it would hlep!

I just don't know....I am sooo frustrated. I am kinda keeping it from the teacher. I orginally told her what was going on and she said if it kept up we might need to take him out of school. Not an option at this point. I don't think it's a school problem...he seems to love school, does great, has friends and has adjusted very well!

My son was on Miralax for 3 years. I do think it helped at first, but then contributred to a vicious cycle which we are still struggling to break. I posted above over a month ago and we are just getting back on track. Things that have helped us recently include using a calendar and marking poops with a star and occasional trips to Chuck E. Cheese. This also helps me keep track of if it has been 3 or 4 or 5 or whatever days and plan some sort of action. In terms of encouraging toilet sitting we have a portable DVD player in the bathroom. However, toilet sitting doesn't seem to help with pooping.

What has helped most recently is a very low dose of magnesium citrate when it has been 3 days with no poop. It is very effective and quick acting, and tastes good. One to two ounces seems to work with DS and has given him some positive pooping experiences, so he is slowly becoming less likely to avoid pooping.

If his muscles have stretched out he will most likely need long-term stool softening (of whatever sort, Mirlax, MOM, etc.) until the muscles regain their tone and he can again feel the need to poop. I'd talk to a pediatric gastroenterologist if you are concerned about this. Also, the school cannot just kick him out - all children are entitled to free public education, including special accomodations if needed.
#209 of 228 Old 11-01-2007, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adtake View Post

Do you currently give you ds anything to help him go, i.e. supplements, MOM, mag citrate, etc.? I'd gently recommend not using Miralax; it seems to work by shocking the system and is a rather harsh chemical with warnings to avoid contact with the skin/use a mask, ect (not sure why this is then appropriate to put inside our children's bodies). We've had good success with using mag citrate. I use Ionic Fizz because it disolves completely in water, tastes good, and has quality minerals/vitamins that my ds probably needs. B vitamins are important for mag absorption. I also add vit. C (that can have a lax. effect at high enough doses and still be safe), sometimes fiber if he isn't currently stopped up, spirulina because he doesn't eat veggies , and top it off with prune juice. As long as we're consistent with this, ds goes regularly. Right now he seems to be a bit stopped up because we got out of our routine and he missed a few days Thanksgiving week probably won't be enough time to get his bowels retrained if that's the issue, but it's certainly an ideal time to clean him out and get the process started.

If your ds seems to be having issues with pooping during recess (and then retaining to avoid disruption of play or unavailability of the toilet?) then perhaps you could work with the school to have him go to the bathroom and sit on the potty for a few minutes before recess. The teacher is out of line saying that, and unless he's at a private school (even then I'm not sure) they can't remove your child because of potty issues. My dh is an elementary school counselor and frequently has a child with potty issues. One child with encopresis had to have his clothes changed daily because of leakage issues. Someone other than or in addition to his teacher should be able to give you some assistance with how to handle the situation at school. And it should be done in such a way that he's treated as normal and in no way shamed for needing extra time on the potty or the occasional change of clothes.
#210 of 228 Old 11-01-2007, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinkate View Post
Just wanted to post an update, dd has been pooping in the potty! I started giving her a probiotic and after a month she was going in the potty easily. We ran out of the probiotic for a few days and she got constipated again. We're still working to get back on track but things are so much better now.
What kind of probiotic are you using?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page