Carseat question for those with older kids - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 10-22-2006, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How old was your DC if s/he (if ever) said they wanted to move out of a carseat and into a booster?

The reason I'm asking is b/c DS, 5 yo, is still in his Britax Marathon. He's made no mention that he wants to move to a booster, and of course, I'm not bringing up the issue. But the problem is that his little sister, 19 mo, is growing and growing, and will soon be outgrowing her Roundabout. (We have the older one, which goes rf'ing to only 30 lbs.)

Ideally, when she outgrows her Roundabout, I'd like to put her in her big brother's Marathon which would keep her rf'ing for another 3 lbs. However, right now, DS is happy as a clam in his 5 pt harness, and I'd prefer he be in it. But I'm sure there will come a time when he might mention that he'd rather be in a booster (as his friends are) instead of the 5 pt.

Okay, still with me so far? So, when it's time for the big carseat switcheroo, I'm trying to decide between the Regent or the Parkway for DS. Yes, yes, I know that 5 pts are safer, so please no lectures about that. But, I also have to consider that a booster is a better seat if it's actually being used than a 5 pt that my DS resents, ykwim? In other words, I'd hate to spend the $$ on a Regent if DS is going to hate it in a matter of months and want to move to a booster anyway. (DS is 45-48 lbs. Can't remember precisely at the moment. )

So, my question is, when, if ever, did your DC say they wanted to make the move from the carseat to the booster?

(Please assume that I will of course discuss the safety issues with my son if he ever wants to make the leap, and will do everything in my power to keep him in the 5 pt, okay? But I'm trying to be practical, too.)
#2 of 14 Old 10-22-2006, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahogny View Post
So, my question is, when, if ever, did your DC say they wanted to make the move from the carseat to the booster?
I think around 4-5? but I bought a Britax Husky at that time (now called Regent).

He didn't like it at first. But I told him that race car drivers (and airline stewardesses) use them (true) because they are the safest. Now he proudly tells his friends the same.

It helped that many of his friends were in them too. But some aren't and that's fine too. My compromise is that he'll ride the booster seat alone when he goes on a playdate.

So he wasn't crazy about it at first, but I stuck to my guns and it stuck and he's fine.

He's 6.5 yrs old now and we are no where near letting go of it. He can still grow in it.

I've told him over and over it's "the safest" and that ALL seats should have them, but don't because it's too expensive to put in. He knows and accepts it, so it hasn't been an issue.

I'm not going to tell you what to do. I'm just sharing my experience.

I bought a Marathon for my 2 year old (since her brothers Roundabout was getting old). She sometimes rides in the Regent, because she asks too (when DS is at school.) So... the Regent could be used for your youngest... it won't go to waste.

I would love for my son to ride the Parkway, but he hates the "wings" on the side of the head. He's not used to it. I love the SIP, but I don't know if one is "safer" than the other.

10 - boy
5.5 - girl
#3 of 14 Old 10-22-2006, 07:49 PM

My kids aren't that old, but AJ likes his seat. I plan on getting him a Regent too next year. I know my friend's 6yo loves his 'race car driver' seat (Regent) and doesn't seem to care he's in it. She even moved him from a booster BACK to the Regent so I'm sure it varies. There's lots of older children here that are still harnessed. http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/FFalbum.aspx

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

#4 of 14 Old 10-22-2006, 08:11 PM

When ds was almost 5 he started saying he needed a bigger carseat. Note he didn't say he didn't want to be in a seat, but in a bigger seat. He was in a Marathon, we got him a Regent. He's had it about 9 months or so now and loves it. I wouldn't worry about him thinking he needed a booster seat. Ds has never known any different so doesn't think anything of it.

Mom to ds 9 dd 7 : and dd 3/08 : if I can I go to
#5 of 14 Old 10-22-2006, 10:16 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
my oldest is 6.5 and never once has mentioned not using a seat, though he's so big and tall, he might grow out of his Husky (the predecessor to the Regent) in the next year.

We also have friends with 7, 8 and 9 year olds who love their Husky/Regents and I don't think it's occurred to any of them to move out of them.

Robin~ single, work-at-home momma to my WonderBoys
YoungMan (6/00) & LittleBoy (6/04)
#6 of 14 Old 10-23-2006, 12:49 AM

My 6 yo DS is still in his Husky and at 71 pounds and 4'4 1/2" tall, he still fits great in it. He knows almost as much about child passenger safety as his momma and quotes me quite a bit. He is still happy in his Husky. He has always been HUGE and I struggled early on to find him a seat that he wouldn't outgrow quickly. We have gotten a lot of good use out of it and I am very pleased with it.
Weight and height play an important part in safe restraining recommendations, but so does age. The older your child the more mature his skeletal system, ligaments, tendons, etc. are. Hence the recommendation to keep our DC's in 5 pt restraints for as long as possible. If finances/car size is/are a consideration, I believe that your oldest child would be fine to transition into a belt positioning booster seat so that your youngest can go into his Marathon. However, if your budget and car size allows, then I would go for the Regent (used to be called the Husky). It is a BIG seat and not cheap but a good investment in my opinion

Dallaschildren
CPS Instructor and momma to 2 sons in seats
#7 of 14 Old 10-23-2006, 10:54 AM

Dallaschildren, or anyone,
Do you have a link to the safety stats on booster combo/booster seats?

I purchased a Evenflo Generations booster/combo, it's 5pt up to 60lbs, then a high back, belt positioning booster up to 100lbs. I liked the fact that it transitioned to a booster.
But when he sleeps, his head lolls in it, even with it reclined. I also hate the strap tightening mechanism/release mechanism (knob)

I am ordering the Regent from Amazon today.

Btw, my ds is 4 y/o, 31lbs, and 40 inches. He has been in a Roundabout until now.

I am curious about the ratings of the Evenflo Generations, Safety First Apex, Recaro combo seats, and the Regent.

Sorry to the op for highjacking the thread......
#8 of 14 Old 10-23-2006, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you everyone for your replies! You all made me realize that my concerns were unfounded. I had just assumed that DS would be saying he wanted a booster in a I'm-ready-for-a-two-wheeler,-overnights-at-Grandma's,-go-in-the-restroom-alone kind of way. But you're right - he's never known anything other than a 5 pt, odds are he won't all of a sudden realize there's another world out there!

The Regent will fit in our car without a problem. We don't need to buy anything yet, as DD still fits in her Roundabout, but probably within the next six months we'll need to do the carseat switch.

Thanks to everyone!
#9 of 14 Old 10-23-2006, 01:00 PM

You can find me on Facebook. PM for info.
#10 of 14 Old 10-23-2006, 01:11 PM

At some point you might need to consider both what he uses in your car and what he would use in someone else's car -- depending on how you plan on doing schooling and playdates or sports and carpools. For my son, he was fine until he started school and the accompanying round of playdates. Since the custom was for kids to go from school home with playdate family, he either had to take his seat into school or some families provided boosters for playdate friends. Most parents aren't going to want to install a harness system seat while standing in the school parking lot so if you are going to allow this at some point, you pretty much have to switch to a booster of some type at least for these sorts of situations. We used a cheaper and smaller booster for these sorts of times with more substantial seats in the car for day-to-day commuting.
#11 of 14 Old 10-23-2006, 01:15 PM

My DS has been asking for a booster since he was about 2.5. (My niece is 5 1/2 months older than him, and her mama had her in a booster seat really, really early, at around 3.) He didn't get one until he was well over 4.
#12 of 14 Old 10-23-2006, 02:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
My DS is 6.5 , 46 lbs and 49 " tall, and is still in a harnessed seat (Safeguard), no gripes. Probably because his 9 yo sister just moved out of a high back booster into a low backed one so he doesn't expect to be out of a car seat and into a booster anytime soon!

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#13 of 14 Old 10-24-2006, 04:07 AM

Oakberry-The Evenflo Generations only harnesses till 40# and then uses the seatbelt for a booster after that. There are no real safety ratings on carseats as all have to pass the same testing so are considered 'equally' safe to be sold. Now all seats have different features that make better etc for certain children and what not. The Recaro and Evenflo both only go to 40# w/ Recaro having the higher slots and making a better booster. The Apex goes to 65# w/ harness and turns into a booster. This seat MUST have a headrest or high backed seat behind it. The Regent would be my top choice simply b/c you can use it the longest in harness mode and has the highest strap slots.

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

#14 of 14 Old 10-24-2006, 09:03 PM

So when purchasing a new seat has anyone bought from ebay?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page