Deodorant solution for 9 yr. old boy? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 10-22-2006, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
My DS is 9 and is having a problem with sweating and becoming musty during the day after playing/exercising at school some days. He has pretty sensitive skin and I don't wnat to use harsh chemicals on his skin. he is beginning to feel really bad/down about this, especially since his teacher told him to 'SCRUB HARDER' after informing him he needed to wash under his arms and put on deodorant daily and he responded that he does. Anyway, I did respond to her about that comment but was thinking that he can take a bar of soap to school and some deodorant and freshen up daily whether his underarms stink or not. Do you guys have any suggestions on deodorant brands? We've tried Toms of Maine, I recently bought some crystal something from the vitamin shoppe, and I tried women's ammonia free adidas deodorant too. I think I might cross post this in the natural living forum too.

Mom to DS (16), DD (7), DS (5), and excitedenergy.gif about my final baby due October 2014. Love fluffy mailheartbeat.gif, appreciate midwives, and can't wait to wear a baby againjoy.gif!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 10-22-2006, 10:40 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dh stated that when his younger brother had the same problem (many years ago) they used lime juice to help with his underarm odor. But I don't know if this will irritate his skin (since it is sensitive). Maybe you could dilute it with water or someting.
#3 of 11 Old 10-22-2006, 10:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki98 View Post
My dh stated that when his younger brother had the same problem (many years ago) they used lime juice to help with his underarm odor. But I don't know if this will irritate his skin (since it is sensitive). Maybe you could dilute it with water or someting.
THANKS, i'LL GIVE IT A TRY.

Mom to DS (16), DD (7), DS (5), and excitedenergy.gif about my final baby due October 2014. Love fluffy mailheartbeat.gif, appreciate midwives, and can't wait to wear a baby againjoy.gif!
#4 of 11 Old 10-23-2006, 01:41 AM

I've had great success with a dusting of plain baking soda. You can also do a swipe with a cotton ball of rubbing alcohol (kills the odor-causing bacteria) before the baking soda. Some people are sensitive to baking soda and/or the isopropyl, but for me it's been great. Just be aware that it can take up to a week for the old deodorant to leave his system and that week may be stinky. There's lots of good threads in Natural Home & Body about natural deodorants too. GL!
#5 of 11 Old 10-23-2006, 10:45 AM

My favorite combo is a swipe of witch hazel, followed by a dusting of baking soda. I have pretty sensitive skin and it doesn't bother me.
#6 of 11 Old 10-23-2006, 02:09 PM

Alcohol works for me. I do need to reapply sometimes. My sister got some alcohol premoistened towelettes to use when out and about. I've been thinking of doing the same thing. I found some here. http://www.cpr-savers.com/Industrial...ing-wipes.html
This may work for your DS, for school. He could keep a couple in his pocket and use them discreetly in the bathroom.

Heather, mama to          
#7 of 11 Old 10-25-2006, 12:36 PM

I am smelly. :

I didn't used to be, but once I started IVF and now that I am pg, my hormones have made me absolutely rank.

Tom's of Maine did nothing, and I had to throw away the luscious mandarin & patchouli deodorant I bought. My BO laughed at it!

The only, only, only thing that works for me is the salt crystal. I have a big one that I got at the health food store. It's called Thai something.

I feel for the poor guy. That must be so embarassing.
#8 of 11 Old 10-25-2006, 09:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
[QUOTE=paisley;6342648]I've had great success with a dusting of plain baking soda. QUOTE]

ditto-bs rocks!

Jessica, wife to Mark, homeschooling mama to Micah (2006), Noah (2009), Owen (2012) and another on the way this August (20014)
#9 of 11 Old 10-26-2006, 08:40 AM

I would give them all a try and see what helps.Tea tree oil works too,but has a strong smell and can irritate.Baking soda is good,but can be irritating as well.A small pack of wipes to clean under his arms would be useful after activities.
I agree the teacher was inappropriate to comment to the child.Should have contacted the parents .
#10 of 11 Old 10-26-2006, 10:37 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Baking soda works really well. Tea tree oil (my cure-all) works, too, but it is a little harsh for sensitive skin.

I feel so badly for your little boy! That teacher was so out of line. I'm glad you said something to her about her inappropriate comments.
#11 of 11 Old 10-26-2006, 11:03 AM

I have been super stinky since I got pregnant...I keep a little lidded tub of baking soda paste (just baking soda, a little water and a couple drops of TTO) in my bathroom, and I use it every morning and then if I happen to be topless at any point of the day and in the bathroom I re-apply...I put it on and then use a wet wash cloth to wash it off, and that has helped immensely.

I don't know why I am so stinky now...I guess it is the pg hormones, I have never experienced this before with my other pregnancies (at least I didn't notice it) and I've also had horrid morning sickness, complexion problems, bleeding gums, you name it.

I have used regular deodorants since I started the baking soda thing but they just make me stink now even worse than I do with just my own rank b.o. I used to use Dove deodorant and I loved it. I don't know if it will ever work for me again now!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page